08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

2.0L LNF SS Turbocharged Frequently Asked Questions [Read me]

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats not a bad time for the HHR SS. My dad just got my order down for a Black SS/TC today. I won't get it though until July when I get back. Ohe well. I was considering the HHR SS but I just didn't like it when I test drove it.

Yeah just wait it out. They should get back to you soon. Hope you get everything worked out soon.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by 116Fanatic
I still don't get how the SS/TC isn't putting down better track times???
He is testing an HHR SS, not a SS/TC.

The cobalt will most definately put down better times than the HHR SS. It weighs in 100lbs less, much better aerodynamics, and better traction mods to prevent wheel hop. Edmunds hit a 14.0 in the 1/4 mile, and we all know their track record, so I assume bone stock w/ manual launch + driver mod = 13.8.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Archie

The cobalt will most definately put down better times than the HHR SS. It weighs in 100lbs less, much better aerodynamics, and better traction mods to prevent wheel hop. Edmunds hit a 14.0 in the 1/4 mile, and we all know their track record, so I assume bone stock w/ manual launch + driver mod = 13.8.
For sure....

Driver mod + Manual Launch > Launch Control

...any day!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:07 AM

A little introduction of who I am

DRIVER MOD FOR SURE,I come from rwd cars that launch like a ****!This fwd is a whole nother ball game.

A little about my self:

Qualifications Profile

• 18 years of Custom car audio/electronics/ shop experience and retail sales.
• 8 years High performance automotive parts design and component installation
• 6 years ownership of LLC Automotive parts manufacturing business
• 2 yr at Gulfstream Aerospace
• Oem/Aftermarket Fuel injection,turbocharger,supercharger design and installation
• Corporate & individual customer sales
• Human Resources/Training-Hiring employees. teaching classes for manufacturing
• Qualified and trained in Mig,Tig and gas welding
• Computer profiency:Microsoft word,Excel,Quickbooks,Outlook and Office 2000,Windows XP,Internet Explorer
• Working experience includes Plastics,Metal,Leather, Cloth, Vinyl, and Carpets
• Experience with 12 volt electrical systems, Air hydraulics, Fluid hydraulics
• Automotive Heating and A/C
• Automotive mechanical and electrical diagnostics

Professional Experience

Gulfstream Aerospace Feb 2007-Present

Hired on at Gulfstream Aerospcae as a direct employee of General Dynamics

AIS April 2006-2007

Hired on as an Installation Technician for Interior Completions for Gulfstream Aerospace.Current skills include understanding blueprints,metal fabrication,upholstery,trim fit and finish jobs.Also have aquired skills in detail,leadership,timed workmanship.

21st Century Muscle cars-Carrollton, Texas 2002-2006

Installation of aftermarket performance parts for C-5/C-6 Corvettes, Camaros, and Vipers, other GM platforms. Design and install complete fuel systems, tune and diagnose drivability issues. Build and install engine, drive-train, custom interior and electronic devices. Maintain heavy communication with customers. Manage vendor relationships and communicate with corporate offices. Develop and teach high quality work ethics using strict guidelines written specifically by me.

Zo6parts.com-Dallas, Texas 1999-Present
Business Owner
Internet sales company- Sales/Design/Manufacturer 1999-2004 Corvette Parts
In 1999, I invented a safety product for C-5 Corvette and in turn, created my own internet company based on that product. I direct daily business operations including customer support, orders, billing, shipping and receiving.

The Car Stereo Store-Dallas, Texas 1983- 2006
Custom Car audio and special interest design and fabrication
Sales/Design/Upholsterer
OEM and Aftermarket installation integration of specific car audio, video, amplifier and speakers. I created custom speaker enclosures to work in specific automotive environments. I have experience with custom home audio and video installation. Purchase shop supplies and materials. Abilities also include commercial upholstery, wood working, shop and machine maintenance, and working with handling hazardous materials.

Last edited by ADM PERFORMANCE; 04-09-2008 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-09-2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Archie

Yeah I knew it was a HHR but my logic was if GM rated the TC at 14.1....thats not the improvement you'd expect from the 14.4 SC after all the extra features and the extra power in the TC. 13.8 sounds more reasonable tho
Old 04-12-2008, 03:40 PM

has anyone seen a vid of 08 with bov?
Old 04-12-2008, 03:47 PM

Update to the first post on pricing, prices are now available on Chevy.com

Full loaded looks to be in the 23k range, don't remember specifically.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:18 AM

Alot of ppl ask me is it single or dual ohc

so u might mention that its DOHC
Old 05-01-2008, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by RIOTINLA
has anyone seen a vid of 08 with bov?
no bov.
yes the video's were great
youtube is ur friend
Old 05-10-2008, 06:18 PM

whats up guys i was lookin up some info on the new turbo ss and i was wondering what you guys thought about the car. i rencety got a great job and now and start saving for a car. iv got it down to two cars .. the 2008 cobalt ss turbo or a 2008 evo X what you guys think bout the new ss as far as power
Old 05-10-2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by bucker18
whats up guys i was lookin up some info on the new turbo ss and i was wondering what you guys thought about the car. i rencety got a great job and now and start saving for a car. iv got it down to two cars .. the 2008 cobalt ss turbo or a 2008 evo X what you guys think bout the new ss as far as power
Wish i could help, no one has their car yet including me they are all in shipping. But i think both the Evo x and the Cobalt ss/tc are unique and completly different platforms, evo x has awd i believe and the cobalt ss/tc doesn't but for the price the cobalt kicks ass and is best in its class. I would order the 09 cobalt ss/tc which goes on sale next month.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:24 PM

For starters, the car hasnt hit the dealers yet. Any day now it should.
Evo will smoke it, but its easily 10-12k more money

So far so good. It should be a blast to drive and an improvment from the previous cobalt.
Even though there are a lot of nay-sayers. Faster then mazdaspeed 3 and SRT-4.

Plus its much better looking compared to the BoxRT-4

Kinda cheap interior but the seats are to die for. But its only a 23K car, its not supposed to be bimmer quality.

So far so good, only time will tell if this really lives up to the hype
Old 05-10-2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Magill8
For starters, the car hasnt hit the dealers yet. Any day now it should.
Evo will smoke it, but its easily 10-12k more money

So far so good. It should be a blast to drive and an improvment from the previous cobalt.
Even though there are a lot of nay-sayers. Faster then mazdaspeed 3 and SRT-4.

Plus its much better looking compared to the BoxRT-4

Kinda cheap interior but the seats are to die for. But its only a 23K car, its not supposed to be bimmer quality.

So far so good, only time will tell if this really lives up to the hype
hey thanks man yea i know the evo will smoke it but like you said its 12k more and all you get is awd but the mpg sux on the evo its only like 16 and i know the cobalt will be a hell of alot better i deff like the price tag of the cobalt

Originally Posted by Cobaltss/TC
Wish i could help, no one has their car yet including me they are all in shipping. But i think both the Evo x and the Cobalt ss/tc are unique and completly different platforms, evo x has awd i believe and the cobalt ss/tc doesn't but for the price the cobalt kicks ass and is best in its class. I would order the 09 cobalt ss/tc which goes on sale next month.
yea im think ima stick with the cobalt iv been comparing them and another thing if i break somin on the evo its gona cost out the ass to replace .. the price tag is a big pluss for me with the cobalt and also the fact its a chevy and can get parts anywere .. i just wonder how hard the down piping is goning to be to change. aslo ill prob add a bov soon as they are able to get it out. i went to the local dealer yesterday i told him what i watned he wrote it down and said theyd get one asap so i could check it out so well see i guess

Last edited by bucker18; 05-10-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-10-2008, 07:32 PM

getting a ss/tc asap is appearing to be a huge problem. people put their orders in early march and havent received their cars yet. i put my order in march 19th and it seems like i will be waiting a week at least but more likely a few weeks.

the cobalt and evo are 2 different worlds. and if you can afford an evo then gas isnt really a huge deal. anyone scared to punch the gas becasue its gonna lighten their wallet should probably not by buying a performance vehicle whether its 4 cylinders or 12.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:22 PM

yea thats true to about the gas but . my job makes me travel alot so i need somin resonable on gas and a frined has the ss/sc and i loved it but iv allways been a turbo person so im deff gona have to find out for myself when it hits the lots
Old 05-11-2008, 01:55 AM

hey thanks man yea i know the evo will smoke it but like you said its 12k more and all you get is awd but the mpg sux on the evo its only like 16 and i know the cobalt will be a hell of alot better i deff like the price tag of the cobalt

yea im think ima stick with the cobalt iv been comparing them and another thing if i break somin on the evo its gona cost out the ass to replace .. the price tag is a big pluss for me with the cobalt and also the fact its a chevy and can get parts anywere .. i just wonder how hard the down piping is goning to be to change. aslo ill prob add a bov soon as they are able to get it out. i went to the local dealer yesterday i told him what i watned he wrote it down and said theyd get one asap so i could check it out so well see i guess
You need to read some of the old posts and my write up.
You can't bov this car, it would be really bad. I'll get the link for you

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/decided-do-write-up-106776/

Read my friend. Evo tuning and cobalt tuning is completely different

Last edited by Magill8; 05-11-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-11-2008, 09:25 AM

like i said i dont know much about the new ss/tc. only what iv found by google. this forum seems to have more info about it. that is why i joined becuase i will buy one of these cars and wanted to know more about it . as far as the bov gos if you dont need one awesome becasue if you get a sound Its a million times louder with an intake. thats so much better i think because you wont have the ricie sound like everone that as a bov knows. a louder sound from the intake will be great becasue it may be a new sound a lot of people havnt herd befor and be like wtf is that .correct me if im wrong
Old 05-11-2008, 09:31 AM

The sound is going to be as loud because the there is no "blowing off" of pressure.

You'll hear it spool up, and shutter when you release the gas but not loud as bov.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:44 AM

yea i think id like that give more of its own sound .. im about like you though ill prob do small things like intake and exhaust pretty soon . im gona be more for looks and then speed like you said the speed can come later when they get everthing figured out. as soon as i get it ill be tinting it and adding a indash touch screen
Old 06-22-2008, 02:59 PM

one spec i did not see is the lug pattern. still the same 5x110?
Old 06-23-2008, 02:58 AM

well it is good to start seeing some dyno charts for the SS/T showing it in the 240 whp range. That is a pretty big increase over the SS/SC original dyno.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:22 PM

ok heres my question.. will the GMPP exhaust hurt the T/C?? one of my S/c friends was gonna give me his but then retracted it saying it will hurt me when i wanna upgrade the turbo and stuff whent here is nothin to upgrade for at least a year or more...
Old 06-30-2008, 12:42 PM

It shouldn't, Turbo cars generally prefer more free flow exhaust.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 PM

Does anyone know where to get a cold air intake for the 08 SS/TC yet?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by BudsBac
Does anyone know where to get a cold air intake for the 08 SS/TC yet?
None out yet, very soon though

Quick Reply: 2.0L LNF SS Turbocharged Frequently Asked Questions [Read me]