08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Banjo bolt washer size for front Brembos

Old 08-31-2014, 04:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Banjo bolt washer size for front Brembos

I'm going nuts here. I pulled my Brembos off to rebuild them. I bought a couple packs of multi-sized crush washers. I cannot, for the life of me figure out what the actual size of these washers are. I tried matching them up, one was closem looked the same size but didn't fit down the entire length of the banjo bolt. The next closest one fit, inner and outer diameter matched but it was a thinner washer. I tried using that and it leaks. I'm getting quite frustrated trying to figure this out. I'm going to stop by Autozone in an hour and I'm really uncertain what to buy. Last time I was there, they couldn't even look it up on their systems. It would only give them the rear ones. Does anyone know what the heck I size washers I should be buying?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NickD
I'm going nuts here. I pulled my Brembos off to rebuild them. I bought a couple packs of multi-sized crush washers. I cannot, for the life of me figure out what the actual size of these washers are. I tried matching them up, one was closem looked the same size but didn't fit down the entire length of the banjo bolt. The next closest one fit, inner and outer diameter matched but it was a thinner washer. I tried using that and it leaks. I'm getting quite frustrated trying to figure this out. I'm going to stop by Autozone in an hour and I'm really uncertain what to buy. Last time I was there, they couldn't even look it up on their systems. It would only give them the rear ones. Does anyone know what the heck I size washers I should be buying?
Use the one that didn't fit down the length of the bolt on the caliper side of the line and the factory washer on the bolt head side. Problem solved
Old 08-31-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by C Vanciu
Use the one that didn't fit down the length of the bolt on the caliper side of the line and the factory washer on the bolt head side. Problem solved
That's what I did do, and it's still leaking.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just buy them from CED if you need they have them.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:17 AM

So I figured out my problem. Turns out the washers I was using were indeed the right thickness and inner diamater but the outer diamater was slightly larger. Normally this would not be a problem but my calipers had quite a bit of corrusion around the old ring damanging the mating surface. So the larger diameter washer was trying to press against the corroded surface preventing it form sealing. Here's what the brake line connection looked like after cleaning it up on the caliper side:

After cleaning the surface the larger washer still would not seal. What I ended up doing was using a new washer for the bolt to brakeline connection and the original washer for the brake line to caliper. After torquing it down it's not leaking at this time. I'll have to order some original sized washers and get those on there. This will hold for now though. The size I used that was slightly larger was 25/64 Inner x outter diamater 37/64 In. x thickness 1/32 In. This would have worked if not for the corrosion.