08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

had any problems on your 2010 SS?? (2010's only)

Old 07-13-2010, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had any problems on your 2010 SS?? (2010's only)

ive heard of plenty of things going wrong with the 08 and 09 ss/tc. i dont need to list them we all know. lol. anyway, any bad things gonig on with the 2010 ss/tc's? usually a car manufacturer improves a vehicle every year. i was wondering if the 2010 ss/tc are having less problems than the previous years.

the only problem ive had on mine so far, was that the car could not shift into 5th gear without using the reverse lockout. that was a factory defect and i got it fixed in like 20 mins. no problems since then, however i only have 3k miles on it so far. im in love with my ss, just hoping itl work right while i own it (plan on keeping it till about 60-80k miles)
Old 07-13-2010, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey me Too. Car wouldn't go into 5th gear without reverse lockout. So far Nothing else. only have 1800 on the odo though.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:07 AM

none yet, 2000 miles :crosses fingers:
Old 07-13-2010, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dart_SI
ive heard of plenty of things going wrong with the 08 and 09 ss/tc. i dont need to list them we all know. lol. anyway, any bad things gonig on with the 2010 ss/tc's? usually a car manufacturer improves a vehicle every year. i was wondering if the 2010 ss/tc are having less problems than the previous years.

the only problem ive had on mine so far, was that the car could not shift into 5th gear without using the reverse lockout. that was a factory defect and i got it fixed in like 20 mins. no problems since then, however i only have 3k miles on it so far. im in love with my ss, just hoping itl work right while i own it (plan on keeping it till about 60-80k miles)
How does a 2010 differ from a 2009 (or 2008 for that matter)? I'm not aware of any *mechanical* changes that have been made since the car came out in 08. Some here have said the pressure plate was beefed up for 09 models...I think that's NOT the case and no one has been able to substantiate that claim either. I bought a 2009 with 8K miles. I put on 2K since I got it..NOTHING has gone wrong *yet*. I think many of the problems you see on this board are *self induced* with mods having problems and pushing the limits with lots of NLS and launch driving. Also, many GM1 installs are giving people fits. Sure...you're going to some find problems with ANY of the new cars, I don't think the SS/TC stands out in particular as a *problem* car at all. If anyone here knows of changes (mechanical) that have been made, please chime in.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:13 AM

only problem i had was 5th gear also... i took it in to have it adjusted since i do have warranty instead of doing it myself came back 3 hours later same thing , so i did it myself, and everything has been great ever since.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:22 AM

I have 7880mi on mine, no issues yet other than the sunroof that every one complains about.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:30 AM

my front left traction sensor broke at about 3k miles.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 AM

Bought car end of march withing 3 weeks of owning the car the ecm and bcm needed to be replaced took a month to fix but now car has 6800 miles and runs fine well except that the display told me to service the rear brakes
Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 AM

I have 5,750 on mine and something is wrong with my fuel system or atleast thats what vince said.

My car kinda stutters/bogs at a low gear just puttin' around town, vince said he thinks it's a fuel pressure reg. or a fuel pump
Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
if you cant get into 5th gear, adjust the cables yourself, its easy.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 AM

Hey when you hit 60k to 80k let me know maybe ill buy it lol
Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM

So far I've owned mine for 2 months and have not come across any problems.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
if you cant get into 5th gear, adjust the cables yourself, its easy.
what exactly is the issue with 5th ...? when i first got the car sometimes it wouldn't want to go into 5th... i chalked it up to me being a rookie on the LNF. however i still have this sometimes... if i take it out of gear move the shifter around (left and right) it will go in but sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries...
Old 07-13-2010, 04:33 PM

I have just over 4000mi and no problems except for the usual rotor grooving issues, brakes squeeking and misc rattles. Other than that runs just like new.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:27 PM

linkage needs to be adjusted.

Originally Posted by Whitty
what exactly is the issue with 5th ...? when i first got the car sometimes it wouldn't want to go into 5th... i chalked it up to me being a rookie on the LNF. however i still have this sometimes... if i take it out of gear move the shifter around (left and right) it will go in but sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries...
Old 07-13-2010, 05:31 PM

The only problem I've had is that it's not fast enough. LOL
4500 miles on the OD and not a single problem here.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 PM

i had a few problems my shift link broke 2 times first time got stuck in gear and wouldnt get out of gear and second one broke it during no lift shift
Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 PM

1,300 miles here and the only thing wrong with it is kind of an odd one. The A/C won't blow completely cold unless the temp dial is one notch above full cold. I think it needs a control head but haven't got around to putting one in it yet.

Cars -are- improved upon in some years because of all the bulletins released. An example would be the sound insulation around the high pressure fuel pump. That's factory in the later SS cars.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
I bought mine in February and have had zero issues with the car. Now at 3300 miles -yeah, i live close to work
My only "problem" so far has been running out of money for mods, lol Not because the car is slow but because it's so much fun! I LOVE this car and will keep it for at least 6 years. Not a money issue either, it's paid in full. Right now there is not much i would trade it for
Black 2010 SS/TC – GMS1, Hahn catted down pipe, Hahn catback exhaust | AEM intake | GM racing pedals | OZ Ultraleggera rims |DEPO 4th gen projectors w/ 6K HIDs; smoked LED tails | 20% tint |Pioneer z110bt head unit, Alpine PDX-5 amp, Focal speakers all around

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3835837
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 PM

4500 nothing major, sunroof crap and a/c isnt cold ethier, besides usually noise crap no brake issues yet and yeah its not fast enough!!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:09 PM

Well lets see. I bought my car on Halloween '09 and since then I've had to bring it in to the dealer for a bunch of stupid ****. Nothing mechanical or anything.
1. The rear window on the driver's side was not sealed from the factory and was leaking pretty bad. Got that fixed within the day.
2. Had to bring the car in for the recall about the brake lines possibly rubbing on the underbody of certain 2010 SS's between VIN *** and VIN ***. Unfortunately, mine was in between those VIN's. Took it in and got it fixed.
3. Brought it in to get the two front windows replaced along with the whiskers cuz the windows were scratched all to hell. This was in the middle of winter too and I've only put the windows down a couple times since I bought the car. After a little bit of complaining to the service manager, they replaced them under warranty for me.
4. Now I have to bring the car down next Wednesday to get the trunk repainted due to a factory blemish in the paint. There's a dark spot in front of the left base for the spoiler. It's about the size of a silver dollar and is obviously underneath the paint. The guy said it looks like a dark spot of primer when they painted it at the factory. They're also fixing the inside strip at the top of the passenger door panel cuz its peeling off toward the window.

Other than that, the car's great lol.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeCobaltSS/SC
Well lets see. I bought my car on Halloween '09 and since then I've had to bring it in to the dealer for a bunch of stupid ****. Nothing mechanical or anything.
1. The rear window on the driver's side was not sealed from the factory and was leaking pretty bad. Got that fixed within the day.
2. Had to bring the car in for the recall about the brake lines possibly rubbing on the underbody of certain 2010 SS's between VIN *** and VIN ***. Unfortunately, mine was in between those VIN's. Took it in and got it fixed.
3. Brought it in to get the two front windows replaced along with the whiskers cuz the windows were scratched all to hell. This was in the middle of winter too and I've only put the windows down a couple times since I bought the car. After a little bit of complaining to the service manager, they replaced them under warranty for me.
4. Now I have to bring the car down next Wednesday to get the trunk repainted due to a factory blemish in the paint. There's a dark spot in front of the left base for the spoiler. It's about the size of a silver dollar and is obviously underneath the paint. The guy said it looks like a dark spot of primer when they painted it at the factory. They're also fixing the inside strip at the top of the passenger door panel cuz its peeling off toward the window.

Other than that, the car's great lol.
Ouch thats a decent amount wrong with it since you bought it.

But atleast they're fixing it all under warranty so thats a good thing
Old 07-13-2010, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Supercharged Guy
I have 5,750 on mine and something is wrong with my fuel system or atleast thats what vince said.

My car kinda stutters/bogs at a low gear just puttin' around town, vince said he thinks it's a fuel pressure reg. or a fuel pump
I put some thought into this and came up with the following:

Since GM started putting the fuel pressure regulator into the fuel pump module, I've found that typically a bad fuel pressure regulator will cause an extended crank. When a regulator goes bad, the fuel pressure will drop very quickly to 0 when the vehicle is shut off. However I haven't noticed any lean conditions caused by this failure. This is reinforced by the fact that in a returnless direct injection system, the high pressure fuel pump provides the actual pressure needed and is electronically controlled.

Its possible that pump output could be low but that'd be more likely to show up under hard acceleration. The volume of fuel needed to drive the car at low speeds isn't great. So a bad fuel pump would be more likely to show up as a lean condition high in the RPM range.

I'm not going to claim that your mods are causing the problem or that its a tuning issue because I can't physically look at the car. I also don't claim to know everything and it could possibly be a bad pressure regulator or pump, I've seen stranger things happen.

Just thought I'd give my input based on the experience I've accrued over the years.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by xodus
only problem i had was 5th gear also... i took it in to have it adjusted since i do have warranty instead of doing it myself came back 3 hours later same thing , so i did it myself, and everything has been great ever since.
5th gear syncro and shift lever broke in mine. It was down for a month waiting on parts.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:40 AM

forgot to mention i have to take it to teh dealer soon because the top of the drivers door hits the body and has started rubbing through the paint. want to take care of that b4 it is completely through / it starts to rust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: had any problems on your 2010 SS?? (2010's only)