08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

LDK Swap List

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't know when you started that's why I was asking.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't hit it to hard, thankful I have other modes of transportation, it will probably be Tuesday before I can get gaskets ordered and flywheel dusted. I think gaskets will be dealer item.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:06 PM

Always nice not to feel rushed. Whenever I gather funds for this I'll have my wife's car and if need be I can drive her dad's truck. I could get it now but all my money is set aside for when I go to California in two weeks.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:08 PM

I was concerned they would run out of these engines before I got mine, don't know what we will do when they are all gone.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:11 PM

I just saw on CED that they have an LNF1. It's about $1,000 more but mentions nothing about being LDK/LHU. Looks like I'm going to be working even more overtime than I anticipated. I want to get mine before I find myself up **** creek.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by sixgear
Am I taking to long? I have 2 more trucks, another car and 2 motorcycles I can drive. I just started this Saturday. Looking for help on removing the vent line from old valve cover.
You need the gm fuel line tool.

Save on OTC Tools 6509 at ToolTopia.com

You can get in there with a small 90deg pick and pry the tongs back but the tool works much better
Old 05-24-2015, 10:18 PM

I don't think you can get any kind of a tool in on the valve cover end, I have a set of fuel disconnect tools, the problem is no room on the valve cover end, I read where a guy stuffed pieces of zip tie's in their to release it.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:21 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
I don't think you can get any kind of a tool in on the valve cover end, I have a set of fuel disconnect tools, the problem is no room on the valve cover end, I read where a guy stuffed pieces of zip tie's in their to release it.
I tried the zip tie thing for at least an hour and finally gave up. In the end I very carefully used brute force via a screwdriver and rubber mallet. I ended up bending the little clip that holds it on. I tried buying the plastic replacements but those didn't fit. I bent the tabs back to about what they were before and it holds great. Mongo said at one time he had some metal replacements but they're pretty expensive.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by emecham
I tried the zip tie thing for at least an hour and finally gave up. In the end I very carefully used brute force via a screwdriver and rubber mallet. I ended up bending the little clip that holds it on. I tried buying the plastic replacements but those didn't fit. I bent the tabs back to about what they were before and it holds great. Mongo said at one time he had some metal replacements but they're pretty expensive.
Ok, Thanks, I will probably check my patience out and see how far I get.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:38 PM

I will be tough without a lift. I guess this is a good way to get acquainted with the little 2.0, I just wasn't ready for so many sensors, oil lines, water lines and connectors. I have mine to the point where I need to get some gaskets and get the flywheel turned, my clutch is supposed to be in Tuesday although mine looked pretty good, thinking someone may have changed it, it was a Sachs brand, not sure if that is stock or not.
Stock is Sachs. Mine looked just as thick as the brand new one as well and I had 72k miles on it. I changed it anyways. I wonder how long it would have lasted. I try to take it easy on it; no NLS, no drag racing, downshifting, etc.

It did seem like a lot of connectors, but they all seemed to have a good purpose. It was annoying to have to figure out how each one pulled apart. But the nice thing was that it is impossible to hook the wrong thing up to the connector. Just wish they all went together the same way.

I only had three things get me in the end, and they were totally my fault. I didn't clamp the coolant hose on the oil cooler. The house popped off and made a mess on my street. I didn't clamp the intake onto my tb, which popped off once I hit 6psi. That freaked me out. Third, I didn't tighten a ground cable well enough. That was a bugger to figure out. Got a new alternator and ecu before I found the cause :-S
Old 05-24-2015, 11:54 PM

I took a dozen pictures of everything so I would have something to resort to if I got stumped, hopefully I won't have a temp problem after I get it going.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to a junkyard and pop them out for pennies. Just be careful popping them out they bend easily. I had to replace mine when I swapped PCV lines.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock is Sachs. Mine looked just as thick as the brand new one as well and I had 72k miles on it. I changed it anyways. I wonder how long it would have lasted. I try to take it easy on it; no NLS, no drag racing, downshifting, etc.
Mine has 110k miles on it, looked almost new. I didn't even resurface the flywheel.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
Go to a junkyard and pop them out for pennies. Just be careful popping them out they bend easily. I had to replace mine when I swapped PCV lines.
That's a good idea. I get stuck on the fact that there are never any ss's in the junkyard but things like that should be plentiful.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:59 AM

I tried the zip tie method to remove vent line from valve cover but it was going no where fast. This was my fix, not real sexy but I think it will work, the fitting coming out of the valve cover and the smaller diameter of the line are both 3/8 so I used some 3/8 fuel line. I just pried and twisted on the fitting till it came off.
Attached Thumbnails 100_1221.jpg   100_1223.jpg   100_1224.jpg  
Old 05-25-2015, 03:33 PM

I tried the zip tie method to remove vent line from valve cover but it was going no where fast. This was my fix, not real sexy but I think it will work, the fitting coming out of the valve cover and the smaller diameter of the line are both 3/8 so I used some 3/8 fuel line. I just pried and twisted on the fitting till it came off.
Should be fine. I wouldn't have cut it, but you won't have a ton of pressure in there so I doubt it'll come off. If it ends up not working you can always get a new line.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:44 PM

Exactely
Old 05-25-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got it out and still a lot of work ahead, heater hoses and belt tensioner was the toughest part, welded a piece of 3/8 key stock to a piece of 1/8x1x10 flat stock for a tensioner tool, not much clearance in that area and tool worked great.
Heater hoses and lining up the trans by myself and getting that stupid gasket aluminum C was the hardest parts I had. Long nose long handle pliers made it day and night for the heater hoses
Old 05-25-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by SR Tech
Be very careful turning the flywheel. The discard spec is so minimal and you will over extend the tob if too much is taken off and you'll be pulling the trans back out and replacing the tob and flywheel.
I did this 3 times... PITA!!!!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:29 PM

How hard is it to pull out the engine from the top in a garage?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jbernal4368
How hard is it to pull out the engine from the top in a garage?
Not impossible but way too much work... you have to dismantle it way more than necessary. Just unhook the ac, fuse box, suspension, and heater lines and lift the car off the cradle.

Edit: instead of lifting the engine out, jack the car up and put it on blocks remove the wheels and previously said stuff then unbolt the 4 cradle bolts then jack it up and remove the blocks, lower it onto a furniture dolly then use the engine picker you plan to use to pull the engine out the top and wrap it around the frame and just lift the car off the cradle. I did it 3-4 times when I dropped my engine because of TOB popping its quite easy to do this way. then when you lift the car high enough roll the dolly out the wheel well and set the frame back down on some blocks.

Last edited by crashher0; 05-26-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:45 AM

Thanks for the info guys. You guys are the best. This is why I stay here. BTW... How many guys have done the LDK swap?

Last edited by Jbernal4368; 05-27-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jbernal4368
Thanks for the info guys. You guys are the best. This is why I stay here. BTW... How many guys have done the LDK swap?
First page First Post has a list of noted swaps, but there are a handful more from guys who don't frequent the site too much. emecham is doing a good job contacting swap goers and getting them in this thread.
When you lift the car with any kind of lift off the cradle just go slow, jack it up a bit walk around look make sure nothing you missed is still attached, jack it up a little more do the same until everything is free. Just go slow and its honestly super easy. Can be done in a couple hours if you've had practice haha
Old 05-27-2015, 11:03 AM

^ Definitely good advice. It's been said already, but take LOTS of pictures. You never know when you need to go back to a random picture to see how some hoses were aligned, etc. You can never have enough pictures. And try to take high-quality ones. Most of the time you're looking for a wire that's buried so you have to zoom in the picture to see it.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:47 PM

I got my gaskets today and flywheel dusted, clutch was supposed to have been delivered today but UPS needed signature so maybe will have it tomorrow and I will start putting it back together and maybe get it in Friday.

Quick Reply: LDK Swap List