08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

LNF E85 Fuel(ing) Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink LNF E85 Fuel(ing) Question

Hello Guys,
New to the forums here. My 09 SS Sedan will be fully bolt ons this coming spring. (Stock KO4 turbo)

Current Items/Mods:
-GM Stage 1 Sensors (3.3 bar)
-Bad Mab catless downpipe with 3” qtp electric cutout.
-OTTP Stage 2 Rotated Trans Mount.
-ZZP Front Motor Mount.
-E-Tuned with HP Tuners by E-Tuned Performance

Mods to be Installed:
-Zzp upper charge pipe with turboxs rfl bov.
- ZZP lower charge pipe.
-Treadstone TR8 intercooler.
-Clutch master fx400 clutch
-Fidanza flywheel W/ redline trans fluid GM tob.

Here is my question(s): What do I need to run E85 properly? Larger fuel cam? Opel injectors? I understand with my modifications I may run into fuel issues with my setup if I switch over to corn. Aside from WHP, what benefits does E85 offer? What are the disadvantages for running E85? Do you think 101k miles on LNF and my modification are going to be pushing the car to hard for E85?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 01-28-2017, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Michael, it's me Carter from youtube! If you were to run E85 as far as I know and have seen some people would either upgrade the injectors or run a 5th injector before the throttle body! You definitely need a re-tune and a flex fuel kit as Ethanol eats at rubber. As for benefits of E85 it has a high octane rating (Generally around 100-105 Octane depends on the batch) and Ethanol has a cooling factor both of which helps in reducing the chance of knock aka pre-detonation and cooling engine/air intake temps allowing for more aggressive tunes. As for disadvantages depending on where you live like me, it is near impossible to find somewhere that sells E85. In colder weathers once again like me, Ethanol starts to act a little more solid like a gel but that requires like -20C temps. And Ethanol gets shitty gas mileage! And as said before it eats rubber ****. Hope this helps have a great day!

Also you'd be gaining more torque than hp with a E85 switch!

Last edited by Carter Tuchscherer; 01-28-2017 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Missing Info
Old 01-28-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
It's really simple - Do a search. This question has been beaten to death and running full E85 isn't necessary.

Happy searching
The following users liked this post:
ECaulk (01-28-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Advice- mix e85 and premium to give you e47, and get a tune for it. Same Ho as e85 on a stock turbo and you don't have to replace anything for quite awhile. Still would have to do injector seals years down the road but not initially. Or you could go full e85 and have to replace your injector seal immediately and intake cam for bigger fuel line one.