08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

New steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Solaris99
My steering had been degrading for a while. It started out as sometimes hard to turn left. Like I could turn the wheel 35 degrees with a load on the front and the wheel would go to a manual feeling. If I turned harder, it would go normal and I could turn in more with power. After a while it started to become impossible to take any turn with speed without steering lockup. Then I got slow steering response immediately off center. Meaning, I could turn the steering wheel a little off center in either direction and it wouldn't steer the car much. It was loose.

I didn't diagnose properly and blamed the electric motor, so I swapped that out and the condition persisted. Before I even installed the motor, I knew it was probably not the cause. I just didn't pay much mind to the steering play until then. For the last couple of months, I have not enjoyed driving the car tremendously. Today, it has all been restored. The steering is perfect now. It drives straight as an arrow, too.

My diagnosis on the rack? Something wore out. For whatever reason, the driver side tie rod can move out of the rack without resistance from the pinion. I peeled back the boot and watched it. It was not the ball joint on the tie rod. I thought steering racks were a single bar running the length of the rack housing with threaded ends. Are the threaded ends of the rack rod fastened on somehow? How does the driver side move independently of the rest of the rack assembly?

Really easy job.
Where did you get the steering rack and pinion
Old 08-30-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jg123boss
Where did you get the steering rack and pinion
Rock Auto. AC Delco #25956914
Old 08-31-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 132 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by jg123boss
Could a bad steering rack cause my car to wander on the road i feel like sometimes its hard to keep the car in a single lane straight. Ive already changed tire and done an alignment
Yes, a bad rack will cause wandering. The rack is a pretty expensive piece compared to the other components, so check those first before you drop a bunch of money in one
Old 03-15-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can put the fe3 or fe5 rack in my 07 g5?

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
The LNF does NOT have a different steering rack. The LNF knuckle steering arms are shorter however, which changes the effective steering ratio.

gotta ask to before hand before I dive in I have a g5 coupe 2.2 my racks slapping around and im wanna put in a SS rack and pinion just so happens to be 220 $ and the fe1 is $295 so why not if the mounting is all the same?