08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

P2199? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P2199? Anyone?

Anyone get this code before? No symptoms at all. I cant find an answer.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by RaymondT
Anyone get this code before? No symptoms at all. I cant find an answer.
I belive its iac do a seach for the code in the search box
Old 05-12-2014, 12:09 PM

P2199
Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 1-2 Correlation
ECM
DTC P2199
Old 05-12-2014, 05:59 PM

Yeah i know what it is but i dont know what the fix is
Old 05-12-2014, 07:32 PM

There is a diagnostic procedure for this (and most) groups of codes like this ... P0096, P0099, P2199 ... The code does not tell you specifically what is wrong. If you follow the diagnostic procedure it will determine whether it's one of the sensors or the ECM or the wiring. The first IAT is integrated into the MAF. The second IAT is integrated with the intake air pressure and temperature sensor.

Here is a little text:

<snip>
The intake air temperature (IAT) sensor is integrated with the mass air flow (MAF) sensor. The IAT sensor is a variable resistor that measures the temperature of the air when it first enters the induction system. This sensor is also used to calculate ambient air temperature. The engine control module (ECM) supplies 5 volts to the IAT sensor signal circuit and a ground for the low reference circuit.

The intake air temperature (IAT) sensor 2 is integrated with the intake air pressure and temperature sensor. The IAT sensor 2 is a variable resistor that measures the temperature of the air after the turbocharger and the charge air cooler, and before it enters the engine intake manifold. The engine control module (ECM) supplies 5 volts to the IAT sensor 2 signal circuit and a ground for the low reference circuit.

The purpose of this diagnostic is to analyze the performance of the 2 sensors by comparing them to each other under various operating conditions to determine if they are within an acceptable temperature range of each other.
<end snip>

Are you going to try to do this yourself?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:01 PM

I was going to, do i just have to measure for 5 volts when in the on position or running for each one of the sensors? You scared me a bit that this is going to be a large task lol. Is it ok to drive for abit as well?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by RaymondT
I was going to, do i just have to measure for 5 volts when in the on position or running for each one of the sensors? You scared me a bit that this is going to be a large task lol. Is it ok to drive for abit as well?
I would assume running because it is integrated with other sensors that only read when running..
Old 05-12-2014, 09:11 PM

Nah, I don't think it's a huge task. The diagnostic procedures always look kinda painful since they are written for an actual mechanic and they don't really detail how to do each step for a lay person such as you and me .... although one can figure these things out.

I have not studied this in detail ... here is a bunch more text. You will need some connector pin-outs.

<snip>
Diagnostic Aids

When the engine is cold, at ignition ON, a properly functioning IAT sensor will gradually increase the scan tool IAT Sensor parameter. This is due to the heat that is generated by the MAF sensor heating elements.
Depending on the ambient temperature, an IAT sensor signal circuit that is shorted to the MAF sensor signal circuit can cause either a rapid fluctuation in the IAT Sensor parameter or cause it to become stuck at a given value.
An IAT low reference circuit that is open can cause the IAT Sensor parameter response to be sluggish.
An IAT sensor 2 signal circuit that is shorted to the intake air pressure signal circuit can cause the IAT Sensor 2 parameter response to be sluggish or become stuck at a given value.

Circuit/System Verification

If the ignition has been OFF for 8 hours or greater, the IAT sensor, the IAT sensor 2 and the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor should be within 9°C (16°F) of each other. Ignition ON, observe the scan tool IAT Sensor, IAT Sensor 2 and the ECT Sensor parameters. Compare those sensor parameters to each other to determine if the condition is current.

Engine running, observe the scan tool IAT Sensor parameter. The reading should be between -39 to +120°C (-38 to +248°F) depending on the current ambient temperature and the vehicle operating conditions.

Engine running, observe the scan tool IAT Sensor 2 parameter. The reading should be between -39 to +130°C (-38 to +266°F) depending on the current ambient temperature and the vehicle operating conditions.

Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the

Verify that the induction system components are properly positioned and connected.
Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the MAF/IAT sensor.
Ignition OFF for 90 seconds, test for less than 5 ohms between the MAF sensor ground circuit terminal B and ground.
¤ If greater than the specified range, test the MAF sensor ground circuit for an open/high resistance.
Test for less than 5 ohms between the IAT low reference circuit terminal D and ground.
¤ If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Disconnect the harness connector at the intake air pressure and temperature sensor.
Test for less than 5 ohms between the low reference circuit terminal 1 or A and ground.
¤ If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Disconnect the ECM.
Test for less than 5 ohms between the IAT sensor signal circuit terminal E and the ECM connector X2, terminal 50.
¤ If greater than the specified range, test the IAT sensor signal circuit for an open/high resistance.
Test for less than 5 ohms between the IAT sensor 2 signal circuit terminal 2 or B and the ECM connector X1, terminal 86.
¤ If greater than the specified range, test the IAT sensor 2 signal circuit for an open/high resistance.
If the circuits test normal, test both the IAT sensor and the IAT sensor 2.

Component Testing
Measure and record the resistance of the IAT sensor and the IAT sensor 2 at various ambient temperatures, then compare those measurements to the Temperature vs Resistance table. Refer to Temperature Versus Resistance (ECT) (See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Specifications\Temperature Versus Resistance (ECT))Temperature Versus Resistance (IAT 1) (See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Specifications\Temperature Versus Resistance (IAT 1))Temperature Versus Resistance (IAT 2) (See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Specifications\Temperature Versus Resistance (IAT 2)).

<end snip>

You could test the components first if you want to. If you do not have a scan tool that reads the scan tool IAT Sensor parameters - this could make it a bit more difficult. Otherwise, does not look bad, just some resistance measurements.

Good Luck

Last edited by Dan_G; 05-12-2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Added some text
Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 PM

Which is the second iat, the map on the lower pipe or on the manifold?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:33 PM

The first IAT is integrated into the MAF (looks to me like it's by the air filter box). The second IAT is integrated with the intake air pressure and temperature sensor (looks to me like it's in a lower pipe connected to the intercooler outlet).
Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 PM

Where are you finding all this text? You have a full service repair manual?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:50 PM

Yes, I have an subscription to the on-line version ... alldatadiy ... this is for the 2009 SS/TC but I'm pretty sure it will work for 08-10.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:52 PM

Cool thanks alot bud youve helped a bunch!!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 PM

No problem, good luck.