08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horrendous the brakes in the back...why not just put brembos all the way around..i can imagine with some research and some work..i can get some brembos on the back aswell..

Am i the only 1 that feels that those calipers are an eye sore
Old 10-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Banned

Complaint submitted #10286205
Old 10-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

44 submitted so far
Old 10-03-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by drewbroo
44 submitted so far
There are also 30 complaints on 08's. The latest complaint on 09's that is listed is one that I filed on Wednesday, and there have been more filed since then. Updates won't show until at least Monday evening, so we are close to 80 on Cobalt SS TCs. That isn't a big number, but remember that only 3,642 08 & 09 SS/TCs were built.

Bill Dayton
95 Corvette, 09 Cobalt SS Victory Red.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:29 PM

I had my rear rotors replaced at 4K miles and I use my brakes very little.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by KillerBee
I had my rear rotors replaced at 4K miles and I use my brakes very little.
be careful with that....
Old 10-04-2009, 09:47 PM

omfg... i am having the smae problem... my rotors are grinded to hell on the inside... and none of this is covered under warranty? i went on here because my brakes started grinding on me and i saw plenty of meat on the outside of the brake pads.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:58 PM

took my 2009 cobalt ss into the gm dealer today... the guy was well aware of the problem with the inner rear brake pads deteriorating and destroying the rotors... they said the car will take three days because they are going through a manufacturer change for the brakes and rotors (apparently the quality was **** ) ... since i had the extra warranty, they gave me a rental car, but it is a shitty aveo without a cd player, let alone satellite or aux input for my zune... and no turbo booster and clutch for a few days... but at least i don't have to pay for the fix with 18,000 miles on my car of highway driving.

thanks a lot guys... if it weren't for this thread, i problially would have gotten pep boys to give me rear brakes every 6 months to a year while saying FML

Last edited by ccphilly1984; 10-05-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM

parts backordered

Originally Posted by Billdayton
Same book, chapter two: At 4600 miles, I paid the dealer to turn my rear rotors. Subsequently, CAC sent me a letter of credit for $100 on my next service. Now, at 7500 miles, the rotors are loking bad again. I argued with the service manager, and asked him if I should have to have rear brake work done every 3-4000 miles. He finally agreed to warranty the pads & rotors "one time, for customer good will". I am of the opinion that the issue is lack of lubrication in the appropriate places. I considered just doing it myself, but that won't get GM's attention.

I will probably hear later that rotors and/or pads are on backorder.

I filed a complaint, #10278491 at 4600 miles, and another today. Just because the dealer is fixing it this time doesn't eliminate the problem for everybody else.

By the way, there are now 73 complaints on the NHSTA site, not including mine, or any others filed today.

Bill Dayton
95 Corvette for sale, 09 Cobalt SS
Well, the parts are on backorder, imagine that!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ccphilly1984
omfg... i am having the smae problem... my rotors are grinded to hell on the inside... and none of this is covered under warranty? i went on here because my brakes started grinding on me and i saw plenty of meat on the outside of the brake pads.
Try a different dealer. Mine got warrantied no questions asked.

It took 4 days for them to come in for me. They got them from another dealer.

Last edited by emiller; 10-05-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 PM

Fml

Mine has been in the shop for two weeks now, they gave me a Honda FIT as a rental, honestly id almost rather walk. they are covering it under warranty but they cant get parts, they got the pads a week ago and one rotor 2 days ago but they still need one rotor! they don't think it will show up until Oct 14th or 15th and i am supposed to leave town on vacation on the 10th. I just emailed Tom at crate engine to see if he has any and if he could ship them to Canada overnight, if he can and has them in stock, I'm gonna buy a rotor then walk into the dealership and ask if there are any other jobs they'd like for me to do for them... maybe install them myself as-well?!

Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Banned

Problem recurs

All, the same issues (inner pad wear and rotor groove) occur after dealer turns rotors and replaces pads, so i'm assuming something is up with the calipers. Has anyone lubed the slide pins themselves and not have problems recur? If they recur, has anybody tried SS/SC calipers? I know GM should fix, but they will undoubtedly take their sweet time while we redo brakes every 4000-5000 miles!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 PM

The parts came in, and I will have my rear pads & rotors installed tomorrow under warranty. I had the rotors turned at 4600 miles, and now, at 8000 miles, I'm back again.

There are now 32 '08 and 47 '09 Cobalt SS complaints on the NHSTA site. That's 79 complaints our of 3642 cars produced, or 2.2%. Of course, most people don't know or car that complaints can be filed. I found this forum because of my brake problems.

In comparison, there ae a total of 4 complaints on '09 Corvettes, no two on the same subject. I'm pretty sure their production numbers were higher than Cobalt SS/TC production!

7 total complaints on '09 Cobalts!

Bill Dayton
95 Corvette, 09 Cobalt SS

I find this interesting:
Aveo - 4 complaints
Cobalt - 7
Cobalt SS - 47
HHR - 14
Impala - 6
Malibu - 16
Total - 94

The Cobalt SS, with it's low production numbers has 50% of the complaints filed on '09 Chevrolet cars! I wonder if there's a problem with the brakes!!!

Bill Dayton

Last edited by Billdayton; 10-08-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Rear brake warranty work

I got rear pads & rotors replaced under warranty this time. At 4600 miles they turned the rotors, now I have 8000 miles. They said the pads didn't look bad at all, a little grooved, but not much wear. The service manager said the rotors were a different part number than before, so just maybe they are improved. They also lubed the dry slider pins. Now we'll see if we can go more than 4000 miles before the problem is back. If so, I will go with aftermarket pads, and maybe rotors. I would have this time if they hadn't covered it under warranty "one time only".

Bill Dayton
Old 10-09-2009, 03:55 PM

complaint filed
Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 PM

done, although mine didnt start wearing until like 12000 miles, i know some of you it started earlier than that. im going to the dealer tomorrow
Old 10-15-2009, 05:57 AM

mine was the same. wasnt noticable til 12000
Old 10-15-2009, 01:00 PM

compalint posted

Done.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:19 PM

Complaint Posted.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:56 PM

Now my replaced rotors squeal like a bitch! Damn it time to go back in!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:07 AM

I have to file another complaint. I just found out that my rear brakes are completely worn down after only 15,000+ KM's. Luckily my dealer up here is amazing and is fixing it no questions asked but the fact that I had no rear brakes at all? Luckily the Brembos in the front are good enough to stop the car on their own but if I had to panic stop I would be fucked. Someone is going to get killed because of this, GM needs to make this a recall.

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng

for filing complaints in Canada

Last edited by spectre0618; 10-17-2009 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-21-2009, 12:21 PM

UGH! Same problem with my car. Started around 12,000km but i was stupid and took forever to bring it in. I had an oil change around 16,000km and i asked them to check my brakes and they told me they were fine, well over 50%, blah blah blah.. So i believed them.. Anyway, when i got to about 21,000km they started making a horrible crunching noise, so i took it in again... BIG SURPRISE.. "your rotors are so badly grooved and your pads are worn right down, you will need to replace them.. that will be $650 because GM's warranty only covers the brakes up to 20,000kms.” So I decided I didn't have much of a choice and I had to bring it in and pay for it. So I brought it in today and when I drove it in I noticed they had another ’08 ss/tc there. So I thought I would take a look at their rear rotors. SAME THING! At 15,000km. I got pretty upset and decided to get a manager to look at it. He told me there was nothing he could do and I obviously just got sand or gravel in there and it's all my fault. So I left it and went for a walk through the showroom.. This is where I just about lost it.. they have a brand new 2009 ss that has about 50kms on it and the grooves have already started on that one! So they gave me GM’s customer service number to call. So before I called I thought I should take a look online to see if anyone else was having this problem, and wow! I found a ton! So I called GM and explained to them that I didn't feel like having to replace my brake pads and rotors every damn year. The woman I talked to actually seemed to care a little, and thought I was right, buuuttt I'm pretty sure that's just her job to sound like she cares. Anyway, she told me that she would talk to the service advisers and see if there is anything they can do. So in other words, they aren't gonna do anything for me. Well, I will post their response once they call me back. Ohhh, I almost forgot, I got a call a couple hours after I dropped my car off from the dealership telling me that they only received the pads in and the rotors are on back order. THEY CALLED ME LAST WEEK TO TELL ME EVERYTHING WAS THERE AND I COULD MAKE AN APPOINTMENT ASAP! I had to miss 2 hours of work to bring my car in just so they could tell me they screwed up and I have to bring my car in again. I'm storing my car this weekend. I have made all the arrangements to do that.. I've never seen such a sad excuse for customer service in my life! Sorry for the novel..
Old 10-21-2009, 01:21 PM

your lucky on your back order

For mine I had to shop around at a lot of places and finally found a Pontiac dealer that was able to get the pads. The rotors however are another story. They got me ONE!!!!! The other is on bo. BRILLIANT!!!!

My car is currently still drive-able ans so it will be finding itself used as a trade in this weekend.

Good by GM. You did it to yourself, the thousands that worked for you and the millions (like me) that HAD BEEN loyal GM customers.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by football_fan11
UGH! Same problem with my car. Started around 12,000km but i was stupid and took forever to bring it in. I had an oil change around 16,000km and i asked them to check my brakes and they told me they were fine, well over 50%, blah blah blah.. So i believed them.. Anyway, when i got to about 21,000km they started making a horrible crunching noise, so i took it in again... BIG SURPRISE.. "your rotors are so badly grooved and your pads are worn right down, you will need to replace them.. that will be $650 because GM's warranty only covers the brakes up to 20,000kms.” So I decided I didn't have much of a choice and I had to bring it in and pay for it. So I brought it in today and when I drove it in I noticed they had another ’08 ss/tc there. So I thought I would take a look at their rear rotors. SAME THING! At 15,000km. I got pretty upset and decided to get a manager to look at it. He told me there was nothing he could do and I obviously just got sand or gravel in there and it's all my fault. So I left it and went for a walk through the showroom.. This is where I just about lost it.. they have a brand new 2009 ss that has about 50kms on it and the grooves have already started on that one! So they gave me GM’s customer service number to call. So before I called I thought I should take a look online to see if anyone else was having this problem, and wow! I found a ton! So I called GM and explained to them that I didn't feel like having to replace my brake pads and rotors every damn year. The woman I talked to actually seemed to care a little, and thought I was right, buuuttt I'm pretty sure that's just her job to sound like she cares. Anyway, she told me that she would talk to the service advisers and see if there is anything they can do. So in other words, they aren't gonna do anything for me. Well, I will post their response once they call me back. Ohhh, I almost forgot, I got a call a couple hours after I dropped my car off from the dealership telling me that they only received the pads in and the rotors are on back order. THEY CALLED ME LAST WEEK TO TELL ME EVERYTHING WAS THERE AND I COULD MAKE AN APPOINTMENT ASAP! I had to miss 2 hours of work to bring my car in just so they could tell me they screwed up and I have to bring my car in again. I'm storing my car this weekend. I have made all the arrangements to do that.. I've never seen such a sad excuse for customer service in my life! Sorry for the novel..
I had my rotors turned at 4600 miles, my cost. When I raised a stink with the CAC, they told me to go ahead and pay for the job. Then they called back a few days later, and when I told them I paid $95 to have the rotors turned, they sent me a letter of credit for GM service for $100. At 8000 miles, I had the problem again, and raised such a stink with the dealer he gave me a "one time" warranty pad & rotor replacement. He said the pads still weren't very worn, but didn't show them to me. I only bought the car in July, with 3300 miles on it! If this continues, I will definitely look into the "lemon law" in my state!

Bill Dayton

Last edited by Billdayton; 10-21-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 10-22-2009, 11:56 AM

just felt my back rotors and they felt like a cold vinyl record. i have 5000 miles on the car and they have been squeeking for some time now. i thought that i just needed to wear them in a little. guess ill be taking it in to get them looked at.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL