08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drewbroo
they wear out too quickly (and the rotors are being scored at 100mile-20000mile cars)

Also inside rear pads start to get noisy
Man all my rotors are scored like that and my front driver side is making a loud sceeching sound when I'm off the brakes. It goes away once I apply the brakes. Weird.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:59 PM

I have only 3,000 miles on my car. the rear rotors are real rough where as the front are smooth so i complained
Old 10-25-2009, 10:24 AM

I noticed the grooves in the rear rotors on Wed last week - only had about 400 miles on the car! I'm calling the dealer on Monday to complain and ask for resolution.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:06 PM

I spoke with the dealer today - they stated that the rotors are covered under warranty for 3 yr/36k miles and that the brake pads are covered under manufacturers warranty for 12 mos/12k miles.

I'll be paying attention to them and the first time they start making noise or pulsing, I'm going to have them replaced (definitely before the end of the warranty period).
Old 11-02-2009, 12:11 PM

f this, i was just told that mine are scored and need replaced too. the stealership wants a way too much too. this is ridic they need to recall this.

i complained also btw, so 45
Old 11-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
my dealership noticed excessive wear when i got an inspection done and they replaced my rear pads, then about three weeks later my ebrake stopped holding my car in place under full lock on a barely slanted driveway, i took it in and they said it could not be adjusted anymore without permenantly being clamped. what ever they screwed with fixed it for about a week and a half. i booked another apointment and they took a good look at it and they replaced the entire rear caliper and clips something to do with them being improperly installed from factor and damaging themselves, they are 100% better than factory and ive had no problems since, i very much got the impression they were not telling me something. (i think its been a very regular occurance since they replaced calipers pads and clips all under warrany and i have 28000kms way outside the (break warranty period) so they are definately aware to some extent that there is a problem. they had to over loosen the calipers to prevent wear. the caliper seems to be the problem.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 PM

squeeeeeeeeeaaakkkk
Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 PM

Went to my dealer and they are going to change everything (calipers, rotors and pads) in the rear. They say the calipers are fucked and dragging the rear brakes!

The car has 17 000km... Viva GM

At least it's all going to be under warranty!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:51 PM

i had to get my rotors, calipers, and pads changed too i had uneven wear on my pads the inside ones wore down to nothing and the outside ones were good this created real deep grooves into my rotors and ripped a boot on the one caliper
Old 11-10-2009, 09:59 PM

File Complaint

Originally Posted by lucksturbocobalt
i had to get my rotors, calipers, and pads changed too i had uneven wear on my pads the inside ones wore down to nothing and the outside ones were good this created real deep grooves into my rotors and ripped a boot on the one caliper
So, are you guys filing complaints? There have been a lot of people on here, but there are only 37 complaints on '08s & 59 on '09s.

I had rotors turned at my expense at 4600 miles, and new rotors & pads under warranty at 8000 miles. I filed a complaint both times.

Bill Dayton
09 Cobalt SS
Old 11-11-2009, 12:01 AM

I filed one when I first saw the grooves starting at 400 miles on my car.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:22 AM

Complaint is already filled in don't worry!
Old 11-12-2009, 03:43 PM

So have we determined a conclusion on the source of the problem with these brakes? Is it pads or calipers?

My odometer reads 1600mi and my rotors look like a vinyl record and squeaks like a chalkboard.

Funny thing is I mentioned to the dealer as I left with my new Cobalt, "I'll bet you I'll be talking to you about brakes soon, by the way."

Last edited by XStylus; 11-12-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by XStylus
So have we determined a conclusion on the source of the problem with these brakes? Is it pads or calipers?
I'm going with a third choice - GM did not lubricate the sliding pins on the calipers, causing the pads to bind, instead of releasing. Remember, the SS is the only Cobalt with rear disc brakes. However, I'm just a Chemist, not an automotive engineer. Obviously, GM did something wrong.

Bill Dayton
09 Cobalt SS, rotors turned at 4600, pads & rotors replaced with proper lubrication at 8000, looks good at 9500.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:25 AM

done and add some others including the shifter linkage
Old 11-20-2009, 08:52 AM

Is there any new news on this. Has GM done anything about it? I just bought mine last week and it has 350 miles on it. I felt the inside disk when I got it (75 miles on it) and then I felt it just the other day and already I can feel them getting groovy

Did lubricating the sliding pins really help? Can you give us an update on that one Bill?

I dont want to screw up my warantee by doing anything to it and I sure hate to take the rear wheels off with a brand new car.

I have always kept my wife in a newer car and owned old fast cars for myself (mainly because I never found a new car that satisfied my need for speed that I could afford). Since having 2 kids I have found that I didnt have time to keep them running lately and they get neglected. I got this car just because I dont have time to tinker with them anymore. I sure dont want to start now

Any updates would be helpful. I will put my complaint on the website once I really notice an issue.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by travis123
Is there any new news on this. Has GM done anything about it? I just bought mine last week and it has 350 miles on it. I felt the inside disk when I got it (75 miles on it) and then I felt it just the other day and already I can feel them getting groovy

Did lubricating the sliding pins really help? Can you give us an update on that one Bill?

I dont want to screw up my warantee by doing anything to it and I sure hate to take the rear wheels off with a brand new car.

I have always kept my wife in a newer car and owned old fast cars for myself (mainly because I never found a new car that satisfied my need for speed that I could afford). Since having 2 kids I have found that I didnt have time to keep them running lately and they get neglected. I got this car just because I dont have time to tinker with them anymore. I sure dont want to start now

Any updates would be helpful. I will put my complaint on the website once I really notice an issue.
I don't know of any news. There are a little over 100 complaints on the NHSTA site (09 & 09), but I don't know what it takes for them to require a recall. I know it's a lot lower threshold if a fire or wreck with personal injury is reported, but that's not real likely with this issue, unless it is totally ignored.

There have been a number of people on this thread that went to aftermarket parts or replaced stock parts themselves, and found dry slide pins when they changed them out. I don't believe my paperwork would have mentioned lubrication unless the slide pins were really dry. The service manager also said the pads & rotor part numbers had changed. I have almost 2000 miles since the brake job, and the rotors still have the original machined look, no wear showing at all, even on the inside surface. After they turned the rotors at 4600 miles, it didn't take long to see the scoring starting. If you have any mechanical skills, I would suggest you pull the wheels, and make sure the pins are lubed. There is a "how to" on rear brakes on this forum.

Bill Dayton
95 Corvette, 09 Cobalt SS
Old 11-25-2009, 03:49 AM

still nothing solid that gm is doing to try to fix the issue?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:45 PM

Can I add to this if i'm in Canada? I already had my rotors and pads replaced at 12.000 miles, car's in storage for the winter now, but i've got a feeling i'll be talking to them soon about the rotors and pads.
At 12.000 miles, the rear brakes were no longer usable.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:38 PM

1200 miles on my car now, and the rear brake squeal has started...I was hoping to wait until the first oil change to have it checked out, but considering my oil life is still at 80%, I guess I'll have to make an appt earlier..
Old 11-29-2009, 09:17 PM

Has anyone been given the service technician notes that say "This problem is normal of a high performance, fade-free braking system"? (Which is true sometimes, especially with aftermarket pads.)
The dealership gave me the print out and I will upload it if no one else has gotten it, (I haven't read through all of this thread). But it basically said:
Do this: Inform the customer that the squealing/squeaking/brake noise is related to a high performance break system.
Don't do this: Replace and/or repair the customers brake system.

I had my brother and another master tech at Toyota take a look at the brakes and they said it has nothing to do with the e-brake or rotors themselves, that it was something in the pads themselves rubbing against the rotors (My brother guesses that it's ceramic).
If true..this would concur with GM's service bulletin, and would also concur with the fact that people I know who have gone to aftermarket pads (Thermoquiet,etc.) haven't heard the noise anymore.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt9123
Has anyone been given the service technician notes that say "This problem is normal of a high performance, fade-free braking system"? (Which is true sometimes, especially with aftermarket pads.)
The dealership gave me the print out and I will upload it if no one else has gotten it, (I haven't read through all of this thread). But it basically said:
Do this: Inform the customer that the squealing/squeaking/brake noise is related to a high performance break system.
Don't do this: Replace and/or repair the customers brake system.

I had my brother and another master tech at Toyota take a look at the brakes and they said it has nothing to do with the e-brake or rotors themselves, that it was something in the pads themselves rubbing against the rotors (My brother guesses that it's ceramic).
If true..this would concur with GM's service bulletin, and would also concur with the fact that people I know who have gone to aftermarket pads (Thermoquiet,etc.) haven't heard the noise anymore.

Hope this helps.
I have heard rumors of this secret bulletin, but haven't seen it. It may explain squealing, but that can often be quieted by a few aggressive stops. It still doesn't explain the scoring that is so common. I would suggest that your brakes be checked for proper lubrication of the caliper slide pins.

Bill Dayton
95 Corvette (brakes last forever), 09 Cobalt SS rotors turned at 4600 miles, pads & rotors replaced at 8000, now at 10,000 there is no apparent wear.

Last edited by Billdayton; 12-10-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

my car is back in the shop for brake "howling" now. Also blew another map sensor. They are checking the brakes again....
Old 12-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Done
Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 PM

just finished

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL