08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

replacement OEM brake pads squeak

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the black spraypaint stop my brake squeel and unleash 100% of the Brembo's braking capacity? LOL. Nah Im intrigued by those stoptechs because they look like theyre quality and theyre slotted! We have a performance car and I think our cars should come stock with slotted brakes just for the looks! But my brake setup is only 8000 mile old. I dont want to necessarily be changing anything if I dont have to.

Damn its raining all day today. I wanted to do a couple of hard stops to see if that helps anything. If that fails, I will be taking the brakes apart and lubing stuff. What exactly should I be lubing beside the pins?
Old 06-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Thats about it for lubing
Old 06-27-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lube the back fo the pad where it contacts the piston also the ends of pads lightly where the they contact the caliper
I used copper antiseize on the pins, high temp ceramic brake lube on the rest
Old 06-27-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Get these in the correct size for your car.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HWK-HB194Z-570

Hawk makes performance brake pads and legit OEM replacement type pads. The ones in the yellow box - Performance Ceramic - are the ones you want. Full disclosure: Hawk Performance is not giving me anything to vouch for them.

I have them and they are super quiet. I'm not sure about the low dust. And make the brakes "not grabby" - if you are into that. I was even lazy and took them to a track day and they held up alright. Just a little bit of fade mitigated by some engine braking.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:30 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
The 275 was for the front, they cryo treated slotted rotors are 110ish a piece for the fronts, not idea what the rears are.

Originally Posted by Jacque8080
Get these in the correct size for your car.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HWK-HB194Z-570

Hawk makes performance brake pads and legit OEM replacement type pads. The ones in the yellow box - Performance Ceramic - are the ones you want. Full disclosure: Hawk Performance is not giving me anything to vouch for them.

I have them and they are super quiet. I'm not sure about the low dust. And make the brakes "not grabby" - if you are into that. I was even lazy and took them to a track day and they held up alright. Just a little bit of fade mitigated by some engine braking.
You have a LSJ without Brembos.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:22 PM

Guys, this brake squeel is driving me nuts. Let me describe it. It goes from like a loud squeek to a chalkboard screech until i do a full stop. I am avoiding driving my car just cause Im too embarassed to be heard out in the public. Someone help! Since every mechanic thats looked at it told me its normal, I have to tackle it myself. If my calipers were seized, would it be doing that? The sound is definitely only coming from the front.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:01 PM

Without knowing what pads are actually on there its gonna be tough. Stock ferrodo pads will not squeak much at all if installed and lubed properly. Im betting whomever installed them didn't grease the back of the pad.
To answer your question yes a stuck caliper could cause squeaking especially if its been stuck for awhile and the squeeler bar is digging into the rotor. Also if the caliper is seized it would warp your rotor making the sound worse
Old 06-30-2015, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by LNFTX
Without knowing what pads are actually on there its gonna be tough. Stock ferrodo pads will not squeak much at all if installed and lubed properly. Im betting whomever installed them didn't grease the back of the pad.
To answer your question yes a stuck caliper could cause squeaking especially if its been stuck for awhile and the squeeler bar is digging into the rotor. Also if the caliper is seized it would warp your rotor making the sound worse
How would I know if a caliper is seized? My car doesnt pull to one side when braking. But I am getting worse and worse shake on the steering wheel while braking.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:05 PM

First clue would be uneven wear on the pads
When mine got stuck the inside pad was ruined and the outside pad was half inch thick or more
Old 07-01-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Pasierbek
Guys, this brake squeel is driving me nuts. Let me describe it. It goes from like a loud squeek to a chalkboard screech until i do a full stop. I am avoiding driving my car just cause Im too embarassed to be heard out in the public. Someone help! Since every mechanic thats looked at it told me its normal, I have to tackle it myself. If my calipers were seized, would it be doing that? The sound is definitely only coming from the front.
IMHO the following reply is nuts-on;

Originally Posted by LNFTX
Without knowing what pads are actually on there its gonna be tough. Stock ferrodo pads will not squeak much at all if installed and lubed properly.
The most common replacements should be a semi-metallic - those are known to make noise;
Pop your pins, pull the pads ad see if the backings are:
1) lubed
2) clearly read "Brembo"

If they are not lubed, that (as mentioned earlier) could be a factor;
But if you do not see the brembo name on them, that's probably what's going on - you have a cheap replacement pad set that are making more noise than you are accustomed to...

I found with both OEM & Raybestos that the car would make noise ever so briefly when I start driving - because the rotors would oxidize and lightly rust - but one short braking later it would stop.
Also, the noise generally seems to be mostly from the rear.

The stockers are very quiet - but they do make a fair amount of dust;
And as I previously mentioned, GM has really done a great job of confusing things by offering several different sourced brake rotors & pads, offering them all as "stock replacement"...
Old 07-01-2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky
IMHO the following reply is nuts-on;

The most common replacements should be a semi-metallic - those are known to make noise;
Pop your pins, pull the pads ad see if the backings are:
1) lubed
2) clearly read "Brembo"

If they are not lubed, that (as mentioned earlier) could be a factor;
But if you do not see the brembo name on them, that's probably what's going on - you have a cheap replacement pad set that are making more noise than you are accustomed to...

I found with both OEM & Raybestos that the car would make noise ever so briefly when I start driving - because the rotors would oxidize and lightly rust - but one short braking later it would stop.
Also, the noise generally seems to be mostly from the rear.

The stockers are very quiet - but they do make a fair amount of dust;
And as I previously mentioned, GM has really done a great job of confusing things by offering several different sourced brake rotors & pads, offering them all as "stock replacement"...
Ok Ok, I see what youre saying. The squeeling and screeching can be caused by bad pads, which I bet are the issue here. Whether its because they are some cheap replacement pads or not properly lubed. But whats not fitting into my picture is why my steering wheel shakes when braking. That would mean the problem lies within the rotors, no?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:53 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
My replaced with stock pads up front. 2 years later the replacements are noisy. Im going to tear down and relube everything.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:26 PM

IMHO I would stick with true OEM rotors and OEM pads if your are planning on tracking the car at all or switch to a ceramic type pad for low dust. I've had two sets of OEM pads/rotors on my car and I've always had a great experience, minus the high dust, but always smooth and always quiet.

Last weekend I replace my front rotors with the OEM ACDelco part number (25994100), I reused the rear rotors as they are still in good condition (I replaced all the rotors about a year and change ago). With how cheap the ACDelco rotors are, why not just replace them if they show any wear. Amazon has them for a great price, like $45 a piece. Amazon also sells the factory pads and even replacement calipers if you need.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

I replace the OEM pads with Powerstop Z23 Evolution pads. They are ceramic type pad that are supposed to have good temperature rating and low dust. When I bedded them in, the fronts were smoking when I came to a slow roll and the pedal was still firm and there was no fade. Going on about 200 miles since putting them in and they feel great. Paid 100 bucks for the entire set.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had my R1 slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads on for a little over two years now. They have practically no dust compared to the stock pads, make no noise, and have tons of life left. If you don't track your car this is a much better setup IMO.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:20 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
(my last post)
Ok Ok, I see what youre saying. The squeeling and screeching can be caused by bad pads, which I bet are the issue here. Whether its because they are some cheap replacement pads or not properly lubed. But whats not fitting into my picture is why my steering wheel shakes when braking. That would mean the problem lies within the rotors, no?
Shaking steeering wheel while braking is indicitive of warped rotors;
I had this with my raybestos replacement brakes almost right out of the box.
I was told when trying to figure out my issue, that chances were the rotors were fine, but the pads were the cause - they were essentially gumming up, and unevenly depositing material on the rotor...
Raybestos is the brand that GM used for years and years as their OEM stuff - if i recall your earlier posts, I'd have to say that odds are, this is what you have on your car.

Last edited by soundjunky; 07-02-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:02 PM

^ Yeah. Went to another mechanic recommended to me by a buddy. Turns out this guy finally confirmed what all of you have been saying. Warped rotors and horrible OEM replacement pads. Time for a new brake setup! Thanks all for contributing.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Exactly what i said since the beginning lol warped rotors
Old 07-09-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
^ Yeah. Went to another mechanic recommended to me by a buddy. Turns out this guy finally confirmed what all of you have been saying. Warped rotors and horrible OEM replacement pads. Time for a new brake setup! Thanks all for contributing.
After all our advice against R1's OP goes and orders R1's... smh