General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Please post pictures of the stock jack points

Old 06-10-2006, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please post pictures of the stock jack points

I see the Triangles pointing on the ground effects but I don't see a specific ridge that would accommodate the jack.

There are car length ridges that run down both sides but I don't think thats it. Please help asap!!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:20 PM

Someone run outside really quick and snap me a few pics!!!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:29 PM

just put it on a spot where you know that it'll hold, you're obviously not doing a big job if you using the stock jack so it doesn't matter
Old 06-10-2006, 12:43 PM

I tried lifting the car up on the stock jack where the triangle points and it sounded bad!!! (sounded and looked like something was breaking).

I think I'm gonna use a floor jack. Can anyone post pictures of where the lift point would be for that?
Old 06-10-2006, 12:46 PM

if you are using the jack that comes with the car you use the ridge that runs along the frame of the car where the triangles are. You use the lip of the jack stand along the ridge of the frame. Kind of hard to explain but once you look under the car you will see what I am talking about. If you are using a regular floor jack then just make sure you jack it where it'll hold the car as there are no floor jack spots under the car. My friend has a 2002 Nissan Sentra Spec V and it came with jack points under the car.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok here are the points I am using. 90% of the time I am only jacking up the front half. The arrows are for the STOCK weenie jack only, a floor jack might damage the body if you use those positions.

The spot I use with a floor jack to get it off the ground. (front)

Here is the spot I put the jack stand once it's in the air with the floor jack. I put the jack stand under the black metal frame. Right under where the A arm connects. (front)

The spot I use with a floor jack to get it off the ground. (Back)

OR in the middle of the that bar, with just a floor jack to get boot sides in the air with one jack (probably dangerous, but I just use it to rotate the tires.

I usually don't use jack stands in the rear since I am not working under that half.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Moderator Alumni

BTW I am not an expert but I have used those points several times with no ill effects. BUT don't blame me it something busts on your car
Old 06-10-2006, 06:41 PM

hahaahaa, i like how you marked your nitrous line o so modestly
Old 07-16-2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
Ok here are the points I am using. 90% of the time I am only jacking up the front half. The arrows are for the STOCK weenie jack only, a floor jack might damage the body if you use those positions.

The spot I use with a floor jack to get it off the ground. (front)

Here is the spot I put the jack stand once it's in the air with the floor jack. I put the jack stand under the black metal frame. Right under where the A arm connects. (front)

The spot I use with a floor jack to get it off the ground. (Back)

OR in the middle of the that bar, with just a floor jack to get boot sides in the air with one jack (probably dangerous, but I just use it to rotate the tires.

I usually don't use jack stands in the rear since I am not working under that half.
Thanks for those pictures.. Does anyone know where to put the jack stands after I jack my car up at that point zinner metioned in the rear?

Does anyone dissagree with putting jacks or lifting the car the subframe has as another member posted here?
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...hlight=jacking
Old 07-16-2006, 10:33 PM

bump
Old 08-04-2007, 09:14 PM

Hmm...that picture that shows what you use to jack the rear with that oval shaped opening. Is it possible that those hockey type pucks used for jacking up corvettes would work too? My uncle has a 2002 vette and he uses these hockey puck type things that he inserts into an oval shaped opening to help the jack lift the car.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:29 AM

actually...the triangles are good lift points. While you can use those lift points showed in the pics. If you look up under the side skirt you see a pinch rail. That is where you wanna lift the car, using jack or a lift. However if your jack has a large "lifting surface", yes you can damage the body, so I would suggest using the frame.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:03 PM

I have driven honda's all my life so when I looked under to find the 4 jack points (indicated by the arrows), I was quite surprised.

On all my other cars the jacking point is a thick steel piece about half a deck of cards thick. There is none as you can see below.

First off, in the pic below, does anyone know what that foamy stuff oozing out of the ridge is? Some of it flaked off when I touched it.

And Second, Im pretty sure that thin ridge where the arrow is pointing to is not going hold worth **** as I almost bent it with my hand (well at least it seemed that way ). Would you recommend jacking at any of the two places where I circled? I beleive the part circled in yellow is what the fellow was talking about when he brought up using the "Jacking Pucks".

https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/fil...JackPoints.jpg
Old 10-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Bannned

looks like its alive...
Old 10-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Site Founder

Nothing to do with 2.0L Performance, moved to general.
Thanks for the pics Zinner!
Old 10-14-2007, 11:51 PM

I used the exact points on the front and back as Zimmer did, but not the one dead in the middle where the rear axle is. I've done it several times and no harm to the car. I did use a trolley jack with a u-shaped connection to try and lift the front where the triangle marks ar, and the damn thing actually bent my frame a bit >.> only use the stock jack there.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:54 PM

yea i wouldn't use the axel..
Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 AM

Sorry for being a dick but if you have to ask this question you should not be working on any car.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:46 AM

I have been using a floor jack to lift from that little rail in the front, along with putting jack stands there and the thing is all bent to hell. The problem is I am going to be doing my control arm bushings and I believe in the one picture above where zinner is jacking from is a bolt I need to access.

any other recommendations for jacking the front up?

Also, what about jack stand placement?

sorry for the newb questions guys, just tired of bending the hell outta the pinch rail.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by SuperEco06
I have been using a floor jack to lift from that little rail in the front, along with putting jack stands there and the thing is all bent to hell. The problem is I am going to be doing my control arm bushings and I believe in the one picture above where zinner is jacking from is a bolt I need to access.

any other recommendations for jacking the front up?

Also, what about jack stand placement?

sorry for the newb questions guys, just tired of bending the hell outta the pinch rail.
Well I have a 1.5ton floor jack, so needless to say I have to be careful how i lift the car if I don't want the entire thing to come down on me when I'm under it, so what I do is you have the frame that runs right next to the wheel and its bowed slightly and runs front to rear. I put my jack at the bottom of the curve in it next to the front wheel (enter under the front/side of the bumper) and jack it up there, and then I use the cross frame in the front under the motor for my jack stands - one on one side, go around to the other and jack up the other side, and mirror the process. My car always creaks, but I've never seen anything bend on it before. For the rear, I'd a jack stand under that triangle bar - give you the added lift of the suspension in the rear end. Or get some of my minions to lift the rear end for me while I place the stands underneath. Muwahahaha

And yes the stock lifting jack that came with the car is supposed to go on that lip and lift up the car, but I've only ever done it when I had a a flat tire, it worked fine.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:41 AM

we use the stock points on my car... but we've got a nice piece of 2x4 that spreads the weight out a bit and keeps that stupid seam from crushing...

kinda lame to have crappy jack points on a car that must have the front tire removed to change the air filter.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:52 AM

Here where I put the jacks while doing my exhaust install.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:23 PM

its about 2 inches behind the triangles or just look for somthing solid!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jackjohnson_218
I have driven honda's all my life so when I looked under to find the 4 jack points (indicated by the arrows), I was quite surprised.

On all my other cars the jacking point is a thick steel piece about half a deck of cards thick. There is none as you can see below.

First off, in the pic below, does anyone know what that foamy stuff oozing out of the ridge is? Some of it flaked off when I touched it.

And Second, Im pretty sure that thin ridge where the arrow is pointing to is not going hold worth **** as I almost bent it with my hand (well at least it seemed that way ). Would you recommend jacking at any of the two places where I circled? I beleive the part circled in yellow is what the fellow was talking about when he brought up using the "Jacking Pucks".

https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/fil...JackPoints.jpg
if you use the spots circled in red and yellow you will more then likely have a nice hole in your floor and have a nice visit from jack in your driver seat.

the pinch rails will hold your vehicle that is where me and all of my other mechanics in our shop lift these cars from. hell i just lifted my car did oil change and tire inspection and all that my car was in the air on those pinch welds for i dunno about 3 hours and held strong and was sturdy as a rock.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:22 PM

That oosing stuff is just glue that they use to seal the body up, it just got painted later. If you look in the trunk, next to the battery, you can see little globs of the same gluelike stuff that covers drain holes that are there to drain the body after they dip it to keep it from rusting.

WTF did you put all over the bottom of your car? Looks like that truck bedliner stuff...

I personally use a 2x4 that I cut a groove in that mates with the ridge, I also contoured it to hold a jackstand nicely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please post pictures of the stock jack points