2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Lash adjuster removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:33 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Upper end noise/lash adjuster removal

Hey all, I'm tracking an upper end tapping. Sounds like a stuck lifter sound, and only under power. It isn't detectable at idle over the normal HPFP sound. Saturday I pilled the front cover, changed the timing chain tensioner, although it only had a few thousand miles on it ( its a new motor ) and inspected the timing components and balance shaft parts. Everything checks out fine, but what a bitch to get that ATI damper off, even with the motor mount out!

Anyhow, It does occasionally, but not always make the free wheeling bicycle sound on a cold start up. I've been reading of many others that get this also. Only does it cold, and if I shut it off right away and restart it, its fine. So now I suspect it to be either a bad stuck lash adjuster(s), evap solenoid, about to check that ,or possibly cam phasers.

It isnt overly loud or harmful sounding, and all my rocker arms were in one piece and in place, cam lobes seem fine. My question, anyone else ever chase this, and can the lash adjusters come out by loosening the cam bolts without removing cams? I think I heard of people pulling rockers that way, if this is the case I'm golden.

Last edited by cw383; 12-14-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
You should be able to slide them out by loosening the cam bolts, but if you're that far in, why not just release the timing chain?

Although, since you say a ticking noise only under power, it makes me think of injector seals. Are you sure they are good? I know you said it's low mile, were they replaced when the injectors were pulled? They make a very distinct knocking sound only under high load when they start to fail.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
You should be able to slide them out by loosening the cam bolts, but if you're that far in, why not just release the timing chain?

Although, since you say a ticking noise only under power, it makes me think of injector seals. Are you sure they are good? I know you said it's low mile, were they replaced when the injectors were pulled? They make a very distinct knocking sound only under high load when they start to fail.

I really don't want to open the front cover again as I would need to if I released the chain. I do have the cam sprocket locking tool, but I'm not happy with how it works, you have to wiggle the exhaust cam with quite a bit of force to get it out. I am always afraid of scraping a lobe. I may just do that anyhow.

The injector leak is a novel idea. I had an across the board low compression. about 100lbs per cyl. I took that to be from the rings not being fully broken in. I checked it at 1000 miles. I've read these rings may take over 3000 or even more to seat. That now has me wondering. Though the comp was low, it was dead on consistent. No cam codes so its timed good, and I am using the stage 2 cams, so I understand it would be lower, but not that low. Also the looser file fit piston rings may bleed off more cranking compression. What has me wondering about injector seals. when I ordered my LDK engine, I also ordered the Opel injectors. Well they (ZZP) installed them in the engine prior to ship. Wasn't happy about that, cause I was adding in forged internals and ported head, and now the seals may have been compromised. It does sound like a lash adjuster though, so we shall see. I have a new set op Opels, I may throw that in to rule it out.