2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

LNF Cobalt Life Expectancy ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
This guy.....

Originally Posted by nickate
LOL. You mention "Build Quality" and Cobalt collectively....
1/2 a Brembo brake package w/o even an option to even it up??!!
sunroof rattle
taillight that I had to drill a drain hole in
Crap azz Faux suede seat inserts that get dirty when you look at them
...and how about that front end/steering rattle and shhake!

I happily accept all of the above and call it "character".
It's a Cobalt not a BMW.

Very strong drivetrain in a bean counter rental chassis.... but the new Buicks and Cadillacs???
If they put Brembos on the the rears, the MSRP would be 30k. These would not sell. The brembos on the rear would do absolutely nothing that the brake caliper which are currently there cant do. Probably the best outcome from rear brembos would have been no scoring of rotors and uneven wear which pissed off alot of owners.

Also, NEVER drill a hole into a sealed unit (headlights, taillights). moist air gets in there... which makes the problem worse, next comes mildew or mold...

The front end rattle probably is a swaybar end link. All cars suffer from that. Lexus GS350F suffers from that... just replace them.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has 90k miles on it, and oil in chamber #2. Just pulled the motor to fix it. I've treated it fairly good, I don't do pulls through the gears every where I go, pretty picky about keeping up on maintenance. Hard telling what the previous owner did to it, but I'm a little disappointed mine only lasted 90k. I've had it about a year and a half.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:03 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunstriker
Mine has 90k miles on it, and oil in chamber #2. Just pulled the motor to fix it. I've treated it fairly good, I don't do pulls through the gears every where I go, pretty picky about keeping up on maintenance. Hard telling what the previous owner did to it, but I'm a little disappointed mine only lasted 90k. I've had it about a year and a half.
How many miles did it have on it when you purchased it? Was it modded, and do you know the age of the owner before you?
My cars only other owner was a woman who though it was pretty, and sold it at 22,000 miles. I was the only one who test drove it at the dealership when I bought it because when I found it they had just taken it in on trade and were detailing it as I drove 4 hours to purchase it.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:16 PM

My 09 SS/TC was factory ordered and I currently have under 6000 miles on it. Within the first year, the interior rattles were insane. The HVAC panel is also fading/cracking, even though the car was stored always inside of a garage.

The build quality and feel of the shifter is inferior to my base 2007 Mustang GT. The Cobalt feels like it will rattle itself apart driving over our rough Michigan roads. The windows vibrate when they are rolled down, etc... It's basically like a 1980s American car in terms of build quality. You're looking at pre-Subprime mortgage crisis GM quality/design (which is basically they didn't give a crap, let's use the cheapest materials) with a very good power to weight ratio.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
How many miles did it have on it when you purchased it? Was it modded, and do you know the age of the owner before you?
My cars only other owner was a woman who though it was pretty, and sold it at 22,000 miles. I was the only one who test drove it at the dealership when I bought it because when I found it they had just taken it in on trade and were detailing it as I drove 4 hours to purchase it.
72k when I bought it. I've put 90% highway miles on it. It's got basic mods, charge pipe, down pipe, intercooler etc, but aside from that everything appears stock. The turbo and motor hadn't been touched before I had to pull them. Got it off a guy in his upper 20s, so that probably explains a lot of it. Just hard to believe that since then, I've put fairly easy miles on it and now it's blowing oil through the chamber. Unlucky that someone (maybe) beat the hell out of it without issue, and I treat it good and it bites me in the rear.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunstriker
72k when I bought it. I've put 90% highway miles on it. It's got basic mods, charge pipe, down pipe, intercooler etc, but aside from that everything appears stock. The turbo and motor hadn't been touched before I had to pull them. Got it off a guy in his upper 20s, so that probably explains a lot of it. Just hard to believe that since then, I've put fairly easy miles on it and now it's blowing oil through the chamber. Unlucky that someone (maybe) beat the hell out of it without issue, and I treat it good and it bites me in the rear.
Yeah that does blow :/ I think I may have found the perfect car which im going to look at on saturday. Im hoping all goes good with this one. It's got 53,000 miles stored every winter and an older owner.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:01 AM

I've heard of these cars taking lots of abuse and living for quite some time. Due to them being an entry level performance car they were very appealing to those who wanted something quick but couldn't afford a mustang or Camaro. A lot of them have been abused at this point especially now since they are soo inexpensive to buy.
Love my little car for what it is and don't plan on ever getting rid of it. It's cheap to fix if it breaks and really is capable of so much. Shame they didn't hold their value as that would help the 20 yr olds from beating them to death.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:13 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
I've heard of these cars taking lots of abuse and living for quite some time. Due to them being an entry level performance car they were very appealing to those who wanted something quick but couldn't afford a mustang or Camaro. A lot of them have been abused at this point especially now since they are soo inexpensive to buy.
Love my little car for what it is and don't plan on ever getting rid of it. It's cheap to fix if it breaks and really is capable of so much. Shame they didn't hold their value as that would help the 20 yr olds from beating them to death.
Same, and agreed!
Old 04-22-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
230,000km on my 2010 LNF. Should be 260-270 by end of year. Looking at a sixth gen ZL1 so the LNF might soon be a winter beater.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shanedude
230,000km on my 2010 LNF. Should be 260-270 by end of year. Looking at a sixth gen ZL1 so the LNF might soon be a winter beater.
Have you seen the vid of the e-47 stock turbo cobalt beating one in a roll race? Not by much, but he did. I'm guessing you don't care but wanted to throw it out there anyway.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CudaJoe
This guy.....

If they put Brembos on the the rears, the MSRP would be 30k. As I said... Should have been an OPTION (just like the LSD) These would not sell. The brembos on the rear would do absolutely nothing that the brake caliper which are currently there cant do.
I compare this as equally cheap as roll up windows in a SRT4. Probably the best outcome from rear brembos would have been no scoring of rotors and uneven wear which pissed off alot of owners. (an option with a purpose. Please name one other car with a half fantastic brake system?)

Also, NEVER drill a hole into a sealed unit (headlights, taillights). moist air gets in there... which makes the problem worse, next comes mildew or mold... No problem 1 year out... If it molds a new one is what... 12 bux?

The front end rattle probably is a swaybar end link. All cars suffer from that. Lexus GS350F suffers from that... just replace them. End links are good. It is in the column itself.
My car has it's quirks- and I'm ok with it. It gets almost 30mpg driving to work every day and goes ok for a 4cyl.... My dented up, slammed S3 Neon was a lot faster but rolling into a new job in a hooligan car was not an option so I chose this as a respectable alternative. Bluetooth is great, mpg is great, power for a dd is great. And the stereo is louder than the sunroof and the clunking. Worst problem is the tires keep going bald. (and now my back windows roll down when I push the button.)
Old 04-24-2016, 03:27 AM

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by nickate
My car has it's quirks- and I'm ok with it. It gets almost 30mpg driving to work every day and goes ok for a 4cyl.... My dented up, slammed S3 Neon was a lot faster but rolling into a new job in a hooligan car was not an option so I chose this as a respectable alternative. Bluetooth is great, mpg is great, power for a dd is great. And the stereo is louder than the sunroof and the clunking. Worst problem is the tires keep going bald. (and now my back windows roll down when I push the button.)
You know an easy way to get around the clunking is to replace your old worn parts. Ik it sounds crazy but when you replace old stuff with new, it fixes your problem. Since your tires keep wearing out prematurely, i would say you have def have some old parts to replace. I have a 2010 lnf 85k miles lowered on coils with no clunks. I have a 2006 lsj with 208k miles lowered with no clunks. And im driving on michigan roads. Anyone who has been to, or lives in michigan can agree that they are some of the worst in the country.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:46 AM

I have no clunking either but I'm meticulous with maintaining the car. It's probably end links or something.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My car has a quirky rattle in the steering column.

From what I can tell it's slop in the electric assist module.

Apparently this isn't too uncommon.

Is it bad enough for me to replace it? Nope. Just annoying during low speed maneuvers and low speed bumpy roads.

Other than that I do love my car.

Almost 100k miles.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I plan on not really modding it and driving it into the ground... my biggest concern is rust really as most other things can be fixed...

... I love this car :P