2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

LNF PCV Anti-coking drain back system

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
^^ Vahdyk, shipped today prepaid , a complete system with relocated brackets and hardware, ready to bolt on, less the drain back hose. simply remove the old hoses and seperators, disconnect the pcv efi connectors at the an 6 fittings abd the drain back at the seperator . Then reinstall in the new location, and be happy. Please return the old stuff just as you pulled it off the car to me in NY state I will email you the address.
enjoy. let me know how you like it.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
^^ Vahdyk, shipped today prepaid , a complete system with relocated brackets and hardware, ready to bolt on, less the drain back hose. simply remove the old hoses and seperators, disconnect the pcv efi connectors at the an 6 fittings abd the drain back at the seperator . Then reinstall in the new location, and be happy. Please return the old stuff just as you pulled it off the car to me in NY state I will email you the address.
enjoy. let me know how you like it.
Awesome thanks again man! I really appreciate it a lot! Can't wait to try it.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:47 AM

once again.. interested to see how that system works out for you with the K&N
Old 02-07-2013, 07:18 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Going to be ordering this from John with tax refund. Let me just say John is a class act. I had a few nagging little questions, he emailed me back with detailed explanations even taking time to find pictures right away every time. I know he's a busy guy, but its things like that that earn my bussiness.

Last edited by cw383; 02-07-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
were 10 of these brought already?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Former Vendor

yes.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 PM

What's this system cost John? Very interested as Performance Autowerks just rebuilt the motor and I'd like to keep everything as clean as possible. Matt recommended that I look into this over a standard catch can. This would work fine with the WR-3 correct? Also have a K&N and by the pictures posted before fitment looks as if it would be a problem :/ sorry for all the questions
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Former Vendor

Name:  mockuplnfpcvseperator_zpsaf36539d.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  19.3 KB
350 complete with drain back, braided hoses, brackets, hardware and separator...
Thanks to feed back here, from Padlock I think, and Vahdyk, we worked up a different bracket that is working well, AND does not require drilling any holes which was a reasonable stipulation from Vahdyk
Name:  LNFbracketdetailPCV_zps493cc9d9.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  14.0 KB
Name:  DSC00036_zps1848f85b.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  4.35 MB This is BRT (Todd's) S256 set up which has changed since he had to rework the TTR inlet manifold to work correctly with his pcv.

A new LSJ Cobalt system is done as well. I will post pictures of the complete system for LSJ later. Here is the mock up for that. We wont be locating the hose on the rocker cover like this mock up, I up expect, depending on the final bracket location. but for sure the bracket will mount on the radiator tie bar beside the inner headlight mounting location.
And could I forget my Redline? Of course not. It will mount here. Plumbing etc not worked out, this is just a mock up picture...
Name:  redlinemockupPCV_zps1664885a.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  16.2 KB
thanks for everyone's support and enthusiasm for this project, to Wangspeed and Loki, the pioneers!

Name:  LSJMockup_zpsbd2c2a60.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  11.8 KB

Last edited by Powell Race Parts; 02-08-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM

I love that bracket made up. seems like it would work perfect!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:17 AM

Powell I have a PTE 5857 turbo with Hahn Cold Air Intake, will this bolt up or will sumtin need to be fabricated?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Nfamous60
Powell I have a PTE 5857 turbo with Hahn Cold Air Intake, will this bolt up or will sumtin need to be fabricated?
it all depends what you have done with the fresh air inlet with the check valve, and where you have the dirty side return to the turbo, which needs to be as close as possible to the inlet impeller so as to create PCV vaccum. If you send me pictures of your install, I can provide appropriate fittings to make it all work for you. Do you have stock unmolested inlet manifold?
thanks
Old 02-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
YaY fittings!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 PM

it all depends what you have done with the fresh air inlet with the check valve, and where you have the dirty side return to the turbo, which needs to be as close as possible to the inlet impeller so as to create PCV vaccum. If you send me pictures of your install, I can provide appropriate fittings to make it all work for you. Do you have stock unmolested inlet manifold?
thanks
ok will get pix to u in a couple weeks when i land & intake mani untouched.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Nfamous60
ok will get pix to u in a couple weeks when i land & intake mani untouched.
good for the IM> all you need is a place to put in an AN 6 MALE fitting as close to the impeller inlet as possible.... the rest is easy. And the fresh air intake to the rocker if you have removed it ( u have an LNF right?) is easy to put back. Then all is good.

I can wait, I make up the basic kits in advance, got another ten int he works, perfect work for a "snowday"

I then fine tune kits according to LSJ/LNF/RL for hose lengths, brackets, and rocker cover dirty side hose condition. Thanks for considering genuine Powell hardcore raceparts.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM

Will be getting this very soon. I seen that you made some changes for the K&N intake. I believe this system will work well with the WR-3 so I shall try it. Also have an unaltered IM just powdercoated wrinkle black haha
Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 AM

Im going to be getting one of these to im in the same boat as Nfamous i have a 5557 on my car with a pwerks intake so just a solid intake tube The lines on the back of my valve cover are still in place but just free floating due to having nowhere to put tem
Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Former Vendor

I dont think it is that difficult to restore the pcv function and install the oil seperator. Talk to Dave G or Matty O at P werkes as to where they recommend you put the fittings in the inlet tube for air intake and the turbo housing for the dirty side seperated air return.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts
John, how can I save for my wedding when you keep coming out with kick ass parts? Johannas gonna be pissed at me and you!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Continue on with improving the pcv system. I've been thinking of taking an additional vacuum source in conjunction with the fitting on the compressor inlet and T into John's pcv canister. I think this was one of the location used on the older cars? I can also add an check valve just in case of reverse flow going back into the canister. What you all think?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is after about 4000 miles with the oil separator installed. It's about the same amount of oil I've always seen in the turbo inlet since I've owned the car. I'm just curious what you have seen so far, now that there are several cars that have had it installed for a while.

Name:  IMG_0662_zps82e15de4.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  150.9 KB
Old 09-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Former Vendor

^^^ I would like to know the plumbing and the use cycle any track use, and mods of your car; we have changed the in/out routing since the first sets, and depending on the use you may need a drain back check valve. what does the seperator look like internally? I would be gratefull if you could email or post pictures of your install and have your valves been cleaned prior to installation and have you looked at them with a borescope lately. Lots of question!. thanks
Old 09-13-2013, 11:21 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
I'll have to grab a few pics tomorrow. Last time I had the intake off it was dry no oil. But I haven't spent anytime at a road track or auto-x, its had plently of time in boost in the 5k miles I've put on since buying it. (Side note its vahydxs old cobalt)
Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 AM

^^^ I would like to know the plumbing and the use cycle any track use, and mods of your car; we have changed the in/out routing since the first sets, and depending on the use you may need a drain back check valve. what does the seperator look like internally? I would be gratefull if you could email or post pictures of your install and have your valves been cleaned prior to installation and have you looked at them with a borescope lately. Lots of question!. thanks
No track use, just autocross. The biggest things that would have an effect on the PCV would be the K&N intake and Wiseco pistons. I set the ring end gap to Wiseco's specs versus GM's (Wiseco uses a bigger gap). I haven't checked the separator, but I can tonight. I didn't clean or check the valves before install, but I put on a new cylinder head about 10,000 miles before.

Name:  PCV_2_zpsdae2a477.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  158.6 KB

Edit:

Here is the filter. The housing has a film of oil in it (similar to the top of the filter), which I assume would be normal.

Last edited by Grave; 09-14-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Former Vendor

Thanks for the pictures. Run the rocker cover vent line to the upper port, the return line to the turbo inlet ( thats reverse what you have) and you need a check valve for the return line; the rings I assume, ( although autox may be part of it) is creating excess crank case blowby, overcoming the abiility of the system to maintain vacuum and excess oil is travelling up the drain back return. Gloria@powellraceparts for the check valve its a plug and play buy and not expensive. That will fix that and reduce the oil that is getting back into the turbo inlet. I have noticed that the oil control capability of diamond and wiseco pistons and rings, and whatever hone ( Sunnen CK10 #80 seems to be the best iirc) doesnt seem to be as effective as the stock ring package and hone. It takes a long time for the rings to seat.

Plus the tune. I have run some pretty rich tunes over the course of time on my car, (S/C) and it hasnt helped the piston rings. Also its clear to me that GM's design expectations of the PCV system to make vacuum even under boost are not met with all engines. Once the tunes are changed or the car hits the track or engine build parameters are changed all that becomes more of a challenge and the check valved drain back is the solution I have come up with for you folks.

Thanks for the very good feedback....Joe and Kevin blazed the trail on this, and you are another valuable test point as you did change pistons.

Borescope the valves when you get a chance if you are able. Ring flutter under high boost does put a lot of oil into the system....are you running higher than stock boost and an aftermarket tune?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the pictures. Run the rocker cover vent line to the upper port, the return line to the turbo inlet ( thats reverse what you have) and you need a check valve for the return line; the rings I assume, ( although autox may be part of it) is creating excess crank case blowby, overcoming the abiility of the system to maintain vacuum and excess oil is travelling up the drain back return. Gloria@powellraceparts for the check valve its a plug and play buy and not expensive. That will fix that and reduce the oil that is getting back into the turbo inlet. I have noticed that the oil control capability of diamond and wiseco pistons and rings, and whatever hone ( Sunnen CK10 #80 seems to be the best iirc) doesnt seem to be as effective as the stock ring package and hone. It takes a long time for the rings to seat.

Plus the tune. I have run some pretty rich tunes over the course of time on my car, (S/C) and it hasnt helped the piston rings. Also its clear to me that GM's design expectations of the PCV system to make vacuum even under boost are not met with all engines. Once the tunes are changed or the car hits the track or engine build parameters are changed all that becomes more of a challenge and the check valved drain back is the solution I have come up with for you folks.

Thanks for the very good feedback....Joe and Kevin blazed the trail on this, and you are another valuable test point as you did change pistons.

Borescope the valves when you get a chance if you are able. Ring flutter under high boost does put a lot of oil into the system....are you running higher than stock boost and an aftermarket tune?
I'll try switching the lines and I'll order the check valve. I am using HP Tuners on E85. Boost is conservative at about 20-22.

I installed the separator back in January I think, so that must have been before the line routing change.

Quick Reply: LNF PCV Anti-coking drain back system