2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

LNF timing nightmare :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LNF timing nightmare :(

What's up guys , the other day my timing tensioner took a **** , and made my car jump a tooth or 2 -'s made the timing chain super loose... the car was running fine mechanically on the way home besides the slap from the timing chain making hella noise.

So I had bought a new timing chain , and new tensioner . Installed the timing chain and tensioner. Put it at top dead center , put the cams in correct positions , lined up the marks on the timing chain on the correct marks on the cam gears and crank gears .

Started it up , it ran fine for 30 seconds , and then crunch and the motor locked up and shut off.

I took the valve cover off ,and I found 2 of the valve rocker arms on the exhaust side , cylinder 1 were out of place and mashed up in Between the cam and the head .

Upon further investigation , I realized when I took the cam sprockets off , I hand tightened them , but forgot to tighten and torque them . And noticed that the exhaust sprocket was pushed off the shaft a little more than 1/8 of a inch . So I'm guessing the motor was running then the sprocket backed off the cam a little bit , which stopped the cam from spinning , , and maybe piston hit the valves and knocked the rockers off its nipples and this is the outcome .

Now I'm sorry for the long post and if it's hard to understand , but how many of you guys think that my piston and valve is fucked on cylinder #1? I really don't wanna pull the head off to check but I just might have to right ? A very stupid mistake on my end . Any input would be appreciated by all . Thanks!!!!
Old 11-19-2016, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Go rent a borescope somewhere and check it our before you tear down. Likely will need valves at the very least.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:28 AM

My friend is coming over with one tomorrow ! So I'm gonna see what I can peak at with that . Is that the reason why the rockers popped out ? Cause of the piston hitting the valves ?
Old 11-20-2016, 01:45 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
I did almost the exact same thing, hand tightened and forgot to torque. The gear spun on the cam, bent valves on the 1st and 2nd cylinders. No damage to the pistons or rocker arms in my case though.

Pull the head and see what happened. No matter what it has to come off, no use guessing at it at this point.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:25 AM

Thats what I was thinking �� Welpppp o guess I gotta do what I gotta do ��
Old 11-20-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
This sounds like something I would do haha.