2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Looks like I need a new engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
could this be another issue of the oil line having a pin hole from touching the exhaust?
Old 11-21-2016, 02:32 AM

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
What happened was the oil line went and after all the oil leaked out the bottom end started making so much friction the engine overheated. Now that the clamp was off the extra pressure of the overheated coolant system blew the line off.

Adrian pull the oil line off and where it looks burnt try to bend it. I bet it'll crack because its been burnt through.

Yes this is a common issue to solve it i recommend a longer oil hose. My ceramic coated pcs helped but didn't solve it for me. Also I have some heat shielding I use that I can post a pic later that works very well and is cheap.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:55 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by KMO43
What happened was the oil line went and after all the oil leaked out the bottom end started making so much friction the engine overheated. Now that the clamp was off the extra pressure of the overheated coolant system blew the line off. Adrian pull the oil line off and where it looks burnt try to bend it. I bet it'll crack because its been burnt through. Yes this is a common issue to solve it i recommend a longer oil hose. My ceramic coated pcs helped but didn't solve it for me. Also I have some heat shielding I use that I can post a pic later that works very well and is cheap.
In for any and all info. Surprised ZZP doesn't offer a solution to this if it's prone to failure. Ryan Derrick?
Old 11-21-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
I personaly feel the design of the oil feed is flawed in everyway except the fact they are trying to keep it short as possible. The biggest issue i see in a lot of manufactuering is some of thebproducts for cars people heavily road race are being tested on track but rather being tested based on statistics. Now in some cases this will work. However will direct injection becoming common i honestly feel things should be tested in different scenarios. The heat generated is extreme during a session and a oil line rubbing tbe manifold wont last even with heat wrap tjat exceeds temp build ups.

When i install zfrs i give the feed back to the customer to keep as a spare. I use aeroquip teflon coated line and fittings to match. Aeroquip is hands down the best plumbing out there along with fragola as my second favorite. They do however come at a steeper price then buying chinese fittings or russell or earls.

This is my solution for the lnf and i movr the oil feed location from the rear port to the front port. The ldk would have to be slightly longer.

Name:  20161023_083245_zps3xhvs8dz.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  279.7 KB
Name:  20161023_083546_zpsptqbelvd.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  272.4 KB
The following users liked this post:
colodude18 (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 08:01 AM

Matt need a price on those lines for an lnf if you would. Since you've already done the homework I would love to have them for my install if you will.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:51 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Omiotek
I personaly feel the design of the oil feed is flawed in everyway except the fact they are trying to keep it short as possible. The biggest issue i see in a lot of manufactuering is some of thebproducts for cars people heavily road race are being tested on track but rather being tested based on statistics. Now in some cases this will work. However will direct injection becoming common i honestly feel things should be tested in different scenarios. The heat generated is extreme during a session and a oil line rubbing tbe manifold wont last even with heat wrap tjat exceeds temp build ups.

When i install zfrs i give the feed back to the customer to keep as a spare. I use aeroquip teflon coated line and fittings to match. Aeroquip is hands down the best plumbing out there along with fragola as my second favorite. They do however come at a steeper price then buying chinese fittings or russell or earls.

This is my solution for the lnf and i movr the oil feed location from the rear port to the front port. The ldk would have to be slightly longer.

Interesting on moving the oil feed to the front oil port. When I helped leemanfor install his zfr, we ended up making a line similar to what you have pictured to go out and stay away from the exhaust, we also covered it with DEI cool tube, not sure how that compares to the insulation wrap you used.

Also thanks for the wisdom on the Aeroquip vs Russell/Earls fittings. Going to rework my plans now.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Hmm if I get a zfr I guess I will need new lines then
Old 11-21-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by colodude18
It's still unclear what exactly happened. Maybe the failed oil feed line is completely unrelated to the coolant issue but fact remains that the engine did get pretty hot. We won't know for sure until the engine comes out.
This reminds me of one of those Final Destination movies where multiple things happen at once thus insuring the subjects doom. If there is good to be found here, we all will be careful to check those said little things. I know I sure am. Sorry for your loss : (
Old 11-21-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
What happened was the oil line went and after all the oil leaked out the bottom end started making so much friction the engine overheated. Now that the clamp was off the extra pressure of the overheated coolant system blew the line off.
This actually makes a lot of sense since the coolant line stayed put during many hard pulls I did and even a half mile event. It makes me feel a little better if the coolant line coming off was not the cause but rather an effect of what happened.

Adrian pull the oil line off and where it looks burnt try to bend it. I bet it'll crack because its been burnt through..
I will look at this next weekend. I'm usually hesitant to take stuff apart that I may not know how to put back together but the engine is toast now anyways lol

Originally Posted by cw383
If there is good to be found here, we all will be careful to check those said little things.
The big positive for me was that the engine seized while the car was stationary and idling in the paddock. Had I done just one more lap, this could have happened on the straight with the engine screaming at 8,000rpms, going 140mph. Also, I would likely have had a few GT3 RS's on my tail as well as they were going around with me. Yikes. Engines can be replaced. Big positive was nobody got hurt

Last edited by colodude18; 11-21-2016 at 11:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by colodude18:
63 Nova SS (11-21-2016), Snail_SS (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Snail_SS
Hmm if I get a zfr I guess I will need new lines then
Same I need to get a price on these trying to pick up a 71 this Friday
Old 11-21-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Devin86
Same I need to get a price on these trying to pick up a 71 this Friday
Any idea on the ZZP products on sale this year? Their facebook page said to subscribe to the news letter to see the deals but they never sent me ****
Old 11-21-2016, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Canadia
Any idea on the ZZP products on sale this year? Their facebook page said to subscribe to the news letter to see the deals but they never sent me ****

Originally Posted by ZZ Performance
Share the video below anytime before November 23rd and we'll send you a list of all our products on sale for Black Friday by the 24th.
They said they would send the deals by the 24th. It's only the 21st.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:09 PM

They said they would send the deals by the 24th. It's only the 21st.
Ah didn't see that, I don't think they mentioned that on their facebook post. Thanks !
Old 11-21-2016, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Canadia
Ah didn't see that, I don't think they mentioned that on their facebook post. Thanks !
I copied and pasted it from their FB post lol
Old 11-21-2016, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I use aeroquip teflon coated line and fittings to match. Aeroquip is hands down the best plumbing out there along with fragola as my second favorite. They do however come at a steeper price then buying chinese fittings or russell or earls.
Thank you for endorsing our product while attempting to bash it. Yes, we use only Aeroquip oil lines in our turbo kits as well.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
Thank you for endorsing our product while attempting to bash it. Yes, we use only Aeroquip oil lines in our turbo kits as well.
No offense Matt, but I didn't take the other Matt as bashing you at all, but maybe I'm just naive. Until you mentioned it I hadn't even thought of you and fittings together. If you read the thread it appears that the potential for the oil lines to get hot and fail is pretty high. If it only happened to one guy that would be one thing but it sounds like that's not the case. I'm putting a zfr on over the winter and am really happy I can get a solution to the lines that will help my chances a little more than the factory lines. If Matt doesn't want to help me with them then I will be looking at you all stepping up to supply some to a few of us. I can make my own but it will take some time to measure and order fittings as I have a lot of them on my nova.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Old 11-21-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by leemanfor
Lol
Old 11-21-2016, 09:48 PM

I copied and pasted it from their FB post lol
Oh guess you're just more observant than me
Old 11-22-2016, 07:58 AM

Im not endorsing my product. Let me just say that. I showed what i do for people that come into my facility where i do side work. I didnt post a price, didnt post any info on the line except the materials used and pics so someone could mimic the line. Also i did not offer to make this line for anyone.

Its not a direct bash to the entire kit. 1 small component you could easily change. I buy these kits regularly for people who have installs done by me. You hit the nail on the head by doing this thing however the feed line is something that can use improvement. Every single kit the lines rubs the manifold reguardless how its installed. And rather being like a bunch of customers that call whining about piddly issues, i save your phone lines a call and i just make a new line and use yours as a spare.

Thanks for the calrification on what brand line you use. In no way was my comment about chinese fittings and other brands being sub par directed at your company either. That was a general statement which as a shop im sure you can easily tell the difference between good and cheap fittings.

So you know matt if you havent already known i havent been at werks in a year and a half. So im not on here as a competitive company either.
You know me somewhat and you know i call it as i see it. I like you and some of the people at zzp. We have had our little verbal matches online but in person, phone etc etc we are always very cool to eachother. If you ever needed something in a pinch while in the chicagoland or whenever you know i eould help you guys out with work fab or info because thats how i am. Ive helped out ryan out countless times when he lived out this way as well. Im in no way out to get you guys or anything of the sort. Tell tell ryan and ryan i said hello.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:13 AM

^ class act, nice job in clarification.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:12 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Im not endorsing my product. Let me just say that. I showed what i do for people that come into my facility where i do side work. I didnt post a price, didnt post any info on the line except the materials used and pics so someone could mimic the line. Also i did not offer to make this line for anyone.

Its not a direct bash to the entire kit. 1 small component you could easily change. I buy these kits regularly for people who have installs done by me. You hit the nail on the head by doing this thing however the feed line is something that can use improvement. Every single kit the lines rubs the manifold reguardless how its installed. And rather being like a bunch of customers that call whining about piddly issues, i save your phone lines a call and i just make a new line and use yours as a spare.

Thanks for the calrification on what brand line you use. In no way was my comment about chinese fittings and other brands being sub par directed at your company either. That was a general statement which as a shop im sure you can easily tell the difference between good and cheap fittings.

So you know matt if you havent already known i havent been at werks in a year and a half. So im not on here as a competitive company either.
You know me somewhat and you know i call it as i see it. I like you and some of the people at zzp. We have had our little verbal matches online but in person, phone etc etc we are always very cool to eachother. If you ever needed something in a pinch while in the chicagoland or whenever you know i eould help you guys out with work fab or info because thats how i am. Ive helped out ryan out countless times when he lived out this way as well. Im in no way out to get you guys or anything of the sort. Tell tell ryan and ryan i said hello.
I wasn't suggesting that you were advertising. Not that I'm worried about that either way. It just appeared that you were suggesting that we use a Chinese oil line, but we do not. In the past, the zfr line was a little shorter. They were lengthened about a year ago. We have installed them without manifold contact issues all along. The shorter ones were tough to configure perfectly, however.

My post was not meant to be taken as a personal problem between us, either. Pointing out what brand oil line we use should never hurt anyone's feelings.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:18 PM

That picture was taken 2 weeks ago. So not sure when the lines were remedied but that line rubbed. Hense why i made one.

For the record if i thought you guys used chinese garbage i would of said it point blank. I dont misguide or mislead. You should know that lol. Hope all is well matt
Old 11-24-2016, 12:27 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Adrian, have you guys inspected the head? Playing with the idea of ldk+k04r trade. I could just throw a new piston in my lnf sitting here with your head. Hmm. Fwiw, idk how easy it will be to acquire st3 cams again either. Not sure if you've considered that.

Also, sorry about the car man. Nothing worse than having a beast you can't let out of the cage.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by LNFwagonSS
Adrian, have you guys inspected the head? Playing with the idea of ldk+k04r trade. I could just throw a new piston in my lnf sitting here with your head. Hmm. Fwiw, idk how easy it will be to acquire st3 cams again either. Not sure if you've considered that.

Also, sorry about the car man. Nothing worse than having a beast you can't let out of the cage.
I'm ordering an LDK from Mongo this weekend no matter what. Not really wanting to sell my built head anyways. I threw up a bunch of Black Friday taillight deals hoping that I won't even have to sell my Ultraleggeras lol. And I don't think I'd be happy with a K04R since I've tasted that ZFR too many times lol