2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

The "MAP Sensor" CLUB!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 04:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ctn3mb
I've been on trifecta for 50k miles with the 3-bars and have yet to have any issues.
dude, I didnt say 100% would. Some people blow stock, htp and stage 1. I'm just saying we need a list. BUT also in this current thread, the people who have commented are 90% trifecta tuned.. and the trifecta tune is the one that tricks the ecm to think it can go over the boost level of the sensors...I know some people have the 3bars though, so install quality is a big factor as well.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:29 PM
corn gas ftw....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trifecta doesnt "trick" anything with boost levels
the stock map sensors can go up to around 26-28psi and the tunes dont exceed that amount of boost anymore...
Old 04-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ssblackstealth
the stock map sensors can go up to around 26-28psi and the tunes dont exceed that amount of boost anymore...
eh thats what they say...and well it seems every time someone over boosts 21 or whatever boom... not everyone..but lots.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe
dude, I didnt say 100% would. Some people blow stock, htp and stage 1. I'm just saying we need a list. BUT also in this current thread, the people who have commented are 90% trifecta tuned.. and the trifecta tune is the one that tricks the ecm to think it can go over the boost level of the sensors...I know some people have the 3bars though, so install quality is a big factor as well.
I wasn't defending them at all. I agree with you 100% that people blow the sensors and most are on Trifecta, a lot of people now adays are on the dual tune as well. Probably has to do with people not running 3-bars as well, I'm not completely sure. I'd like to see a list as well.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:32 PM

eh thats what they say...and well it seems every time someone over boosts 21 or whatever boom... not everyone..but lots.
Lmao its funny cause like there is a guy out here that was like your car is gonna blow up soon. I was like how you figure? This dude blew his up running 28 psi on stock everything and NLS every gear at the track. I was like no ****, you can't blame Trifecta for that since you requested to be that high.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:36 PM
corn gas ftw....

i think it has to do with driving habits.....
Old 04-28-2011, 04:38 PM

I wasn't defending them at all. I agree with you 100% that people blow the sensors and most are on Trifecta, a lot of people now adays are on the dual tune as well. Probably has to do with people not running 3-bars as well, I'm not completely sure. I'd like to see a list as well.
ah, sorry, I'm in a bad/crap mood so I figured you were rubbing something in my face...my bad.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:39 PM

Lmao its funny cause like there is a guy out here that was like your car is gonna blow up soon. I was like how you figure? This dude blew his up running 28 psi on stock everything and NLS every gear at the track. I was like no ****, you can't blame Trifecta for that since you requested to be that high.
Ya jesus, thats begging for them failing. I love beating on my car but I'm reasonable. And the stock turbo isnt even efficient at that psi.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:40 PM

...errr the stock 1 bar? cannot read that high. the 3 bar gmstage 1 sensors can go to 28 or 29 I think. And yes vince has the ecm tricked to go over the boost level on stock sensors. The stock ones wont read over 19 I thought I read.

EDIT: I mean I think stock is a 2.5 bar? or 2... I has blank brain today. but boost spikes over the limit of it I would assume can help the failure.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Ya jesus, thats begging for them failing. I love beating on my car but I'm reasonable. And the stock turbo isnt even efficient at that psi.
yeah i beat on mine too but not like that... lol ive ran 23 psi for awhile may bump it up being on e85 but meh
Old 04-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it just throw a code when it's out or do you feel a noticeable difference in performance? I've never had a problem I'm just curious.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rissa
Does it just throw a code when it's out or do you feel a noticeable difference in performance? I've never had a problem I'm just curious.
it'll throw a code. and the sensor will report a 0kPa
Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 PM
corn gas ftw....

Originally Posted by Rissa
doesnt hurt performance just throws a code.....

they are 2bar i believe, and ill have to hava convo about what vince does with the map sensors and get back to ya... lol
Old 04-29-2011, 01:03 AM

i have the three bar as well as the same code....
what did you clean urs with?
i used an air compressor so far so good I put 50 miles on it tonight and everything is all good I will let you know with a PM if it gives me another code
Old 04-29-2011, 01:12 AM

I literally replaced my top map sensor today. I should do a write up on a how-to LOL.

For me there was no code, but the car was REALLY CHOPPY, random turbo flutter, lots of bucking in first gear, and occasionally my rpd boost data would go out. So I called up CED and got a new 3-bar (the one I blew was 3-bar from my gms1, but im on byt tune now, however I think this blew before I got tuned and just figured out what it was...anyway...)

So uh ya, im pretty sure the actual sensor itself is the same but do not quote me, and they are super cheap....

3 Bar MAP Sensor 55206797 - Crate Engine Depot

This is what I put in the car today, and its a night and day difference (and yes my old one had some oil on it).

I even called Tom at CED because shipping was like 12 bux for ups, so instead he charged me 4 to do usps, still came in like 3 days so it was 20.88 shipped. Great Service.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's difficult to say what could be causing failures and it might not be due to the same reason in every case. Off the top of my head some of the potential failure modes could include contamination but I'd suspect there would have to be a significant amount of oil in the charge pipes. If you do find any signs of contaminants in the MAP sensor I'd replace it and not try cleaning as the internal membrane in most common MAP sensor designs can easily be damaged.

Other potential causes for stock sensor failure might include running too high of pressure. Without knowing the rated specifications from the sensor manufacturer (probably Bosch or one of their subsidiaries), that would be just a guess but might be worth researching. If there were an upper pressure limit and with a couple people having failures right after performing a no-lift shift (NLS), perhaps there could be a correlation with a pressure spike in the charge pipes under certain conditions such as the computer canceling out of NLS with the turbo still spooled and slamming the throttle shut.

For those who have upgraded to the 3 bar sensors it might also be good to double-check the wiring. With such a critical sensor for engine management you'd want to have soldered the wiring splice and used a sealing shrink wrap to form the best electrical connection and protect it from the elements. If you rely on just a simple crimp type connector (like what was included with the GMPP Stage 1 kit) and any moisture got into the connection and led to corrosion it could affect the sensor's ground or signal, and in some MAP sensors when the ground is degraded it can damage the sensor over time (again not extremely likely but a possibility).

It could also be a case of a bad batch of sensors (i.e. manufacturing defect) or something else completely. It would be interesting to bench test some of these failed sensors to see what their output looks like under vacuum and pressurization compared to stock as well as to dissect and see if there's any contaminants inside the sensor body but beyond that it may be difficult to determine the root cause(s) of failure. And unless an exact, specific problem or combination of issues can be found it's hard to know what (if anything) can be done to correct it and keep it from happening. Best bet would be to address as many potential causes for sensor failure and hope it reduces the chance of it re-occurring.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:45 AM

Is this for the p0106 code or the P0107?
Cause I need the 7 and if it's that cheap **** yeah I'll order it right now

Originally Posted by Baron7700
I literally replaced my top map sensor today. I should do a write up on a how-to LOL.

For me there was no code, but the car was REALLY CHOPPY, random turbo flutter, lots of bucking in first gear, and occasionally my rpd boost data would go out. So I called up CED and got a new 3-bar (the one I blew was 3-bar from my gms1, but im on byt tune now, however I think this blew before I got tuned and just figured out what it was...anyway...)

So uh ya, im pretty sure the actual sensor itself is the same but do not quote me, and they are super cheap....

3 Bar MAP Sensor 55206797 - Crate Engine Depot

This is what I put in the car today, and its a night and day difference (and yes my old one had some oil on it).

I even called Tom at CED because shipping was like 12 bux for ups, so instead he charged me 4 to do usps, still came in like 3 days so it was 20.88 shipped. Great Service.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:15 AM

I was taking my son to daycare this morning when the light turned yellow so I stepped on it in 2nd to get through and as soon as my boost gauge hit 25psi and building the engine started knocking and a CEL came on.

It blinked for a few seconds and went away, I got it to boost up again and it did the same thing, but only at around 25psi or better. Is this an issue with the MAP sensor hitting like others have had or could it be bad gas??

HHR SS Stage 1 and 38k miles and never had an issue before.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor

The tune has nothing to do with it and neither does the amount of boost, that is total BS..

I ran 30psi thru my STOCK map sensors and I STILL have the same sensors on my car today.

Every car Ive seen that keeps blowing them seems to have more blowby then the norm. That oil vapor seems to eat the sensor inside. This is just an observation, I don't KNOW this to be 100% accurate. BUT I keep checking every car and this seems to be the case!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 AM

I don't know what it could be then, maybe the TMAP sensor hitting like a few other HHR owners have mentioned? It's just weird that it hasn't done anything like this in the 2+ years I have owned it.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
How do you "blow a map sensor?" This makes no sense.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
The tune has nothing to do with it and neither does the amount of boost, that is total BS..

I ran 30psi thru my STOCK map sensors and I STILL have the same sensors on my car today.

Every car Ive seen that keeps blowing them seems to have more blowby then the norm. That oil vapor seems to eat the sensor inside. This is just an observation, I don't KNOW this to be 100% accurate. BUT I keep checking every car and this seems to be the case!
Any way to clean rhis can someone answe my other question above
Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 AM

BYT is right. I was blowing the map sensor constantly and then I got a oil catch can and I'm running 24-25psi and I have no issues now
Old 04-29-2011, 11:41 AM

"Any way to clean the map sensors? And can anyone answer my question from above about weather or not that sensor is for P0107? Or are they both the same sensors in different locations?"
Old 04-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Former Vendor

If yours JUST went out, try immediately turning off the car and cleaning it with MAF cleaner spray. let it dry out well in the sun for 10 mins then try it. I have saved a couple but its not common!

Quick Reply: The "MAP Sensor" CLUB!!!