2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

New 2008 cobalt BOV?

Old 05-11-2008, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2008 cobalt BOV?

Is this turbo loud is it able to take an aftermarket BOV? im assuming its the same turbo as on the hhr ss if anyone has videos or input thank you
Old 05-11-2008, 11:55 PM

Hmm no one has a TC yet haha so no vids... there's a few posted from testing and what not, it's not that loud.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Acey
Hmm no one has a TC yet haha so no vids... there's a few posted from testing and what not, it's not that loud.
anyone know if the BOV is able to be swapped this car can boost pretty high and ive seen a couple of the vids and its not that loud with the srt-4 its a loud blow off im assuming an aftermarket BOV would make this sound much more auidable
Old 05-11-2008, 11:57 PM

It's something to do with the bypass air is fed back into the intake or something as to not waste the air, I don't know exactly how it works, but it won't be as loud as the typical blowoff you currently hear on the street.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:59 PM

why does everyone talk about blow off valves all the time? they really aren't that cool, i had an atmospheric greddy type r on my mr2 turbo and the noise gets really annoying and the novelty wears off after about a week.
i believe the LNF doesn't have a BOV, it has a recirculating bypass valve? i stand to be corrected but i'm pretty sure.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:00 AM

with the no lift shift it be pointless anyways you dont wanna lose the pressure
Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 AM

Sorry i did not see the other threads im just trying to find out cause i know this turbo system is different deal as other cars so im trying to see what my options are
Old 05-12-2008, 12:07 AM

I'ts a bypass valve, bov is pointless since you want to maintain your boost not release it, why would you want one? Personally, I hate the constant spooling, esp when your in traffic where its sorta moving then not, you hear it spool constantly and I wanted to shoot myself in my friends car every time he went from 0-30 to keep up with traffic.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by RForte1189
I'ts a bypass valve, bov is pointless since you want to maintain your boost not release it, why would you want one? Personally, I hate the constant spooling, esp when your in traffic where its sorta moving then not, you hear it spool constantly and I wanted to shoot myself in my friends car every time he went from 0-30 to keep up with traffic.
Good point im kicking myself for posting this right now sorry guys you can delete this post
Old 05-14-2008, 05:57 PM

a blow off valve is used for bad situations such as HIGH Speeds about 100-200mph.... also for a turbo running ALOT of boost which the stock SS/TC will not be doing.... but hey if you want to tune it to 20psi then by all means get a blow off valve

let it stay quite man... ppl who race u will be like oh its ure basic cobalt... and then wen u f-in burn them they will be like, "omg did you turbo that?" Its a sleeper man... Wake it up by racing

but if you get a BIGGER turbo... or too much pressure from a high tune boost then definately get a BOV
Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PimpLay2
a blow off valve is used for bad situations such as HIGH Speeds about 100-200mph.... also for a turbo running ALOT of boost which the stock SS/TC will not be doing.... but hey if you want to tune it to 20psi then by all means get a blow off valve

let it stay quite man... ppl who race u will be like oh its ure basic cobalt... and then wen u f-in burn them they will be like, "omg did you turbo that?" Its a sleeper man... Wake it up by racing

but if you get a BIGGER turbo... or too much pressure from a high tune boost then definately get a BOV
it may hit close to 20 psi stock.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
it may hit close to 20 psi stock.
well with the new set up as in the turbo will boost at a rate to keep your speed constant... then a bov is not needed...if the turbo to hot it will boost high mayybe around 15psi to give u the boost u need if its colder it might boost at 9 psi...so in the long run the set up wit the bypass stock is tuned to run nicely even when ure turbo is boosting at low or high psi.. still not needed

unless constantly ure turbo feels that it has to boost at 15psi or higher then yea get a bov so your turbo doesnt wear out but if it feels the need to boost higher then let it.... its doing it for a reason by letting away pressure with a BOV ure basically saying hey boost stopppppp!!!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 PM

It makes sense to want something that makes you faster. It's just plain stupid to want something that makes you slower. An atmospheric BOV will do two things: 1) screw up your AFR because you are blowing off metered air and 2) throw all your boost pressure out the window instead of helping keep the turbo spooled.
But hey, being cool trumps being fast right? Just look at all the fart can sticker racers.

Last edited by JayZ28; 05-19-2008 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-19-2008, 08:00 PM

its a return style system anyways, which really proves no aid towards creating boost, but is realitivly better then blowing it off. again...upgrading the turbo would resault in a BOV. but as they sit stock, the return style system is better then putting a BOV on.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:03 PM

upgrading the turbo will not result in a BOV.

You need to really boost a huge turbo. And somebody who really does one hell of a tune.
You know how hard its going to be to trick the ecu to think boost pressure is still re circulating and not blowing off.
VERY!

This car will no longer be available by the time somebody comes out with that much tuning solution
Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 PM

i'm sure hahn will come out with a kit that will decimate all
Old 06-03-2008, 11:35 PM

Can anyone tell me what a BOV does??? Because it doesn't seem like anyone even knows... Maybe you guys should just stick to your superchargers. And there will probably never be a stock car that comes with a "Blow off valve"... Maybe a "bypass valve"...

P.S. Someone said that a "BOV" was only used for bad situations such as HIGH Speeds about 100-200mph... Hate to tell you but that is a big load of BS!!! The "BOV" or "bypass valve" is used to release pressure in the piping after the throttle blade is closed and vaccum is present. Thats when it opens. It keeps the turbo from back spooling (something a supercharger will never encounter). And it also keeps the turbo spooled between shifts better because it will allow it to somewhat free spin keeping the rpms up. So yes... even though it will have the "no lift shift" there will still most likely be a bypass valve for turbo longievity....
Old 06-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Originally Posted by Toobaditsaford
Can anyone tell me what a BOV does??? Because it doesn't seem like anyone even knows... Maybe you guys should just stick to your superchargers. And there will probably never be a stock car that comes with a "Blow off valve"... Maybe a "bypass valve"...

P.S. Someone said that a "BOV" was only used for bad situations such as HIGH Speeds about 100-200mph... Hate to tell you but that is a big load of BS!!! The "BOV" or "bypass valve" is used to release pressure in the piping after the throttle blade is closed and vaccum is present. Thats when it opens. It keeps the turbo from back spooling (something a supercharger will never encounter). And it also keeps the turbo spooled between shifts better because it will allow it to somewhat free spin keeping the rpms up. So yes... even though it will have the "no lift shift" there will still most likely be a bypass valve for turbo longievity....
wow...you know what a BOV does. congrats. we have known for a long time that the SS/TC's have bypass valves, as do our supercharged engines. so calm down turbo fanboy. the bypass valves throw the air back into the intake tube. it is audible iin the SS/TC and will only get louder with an aftermarket intake.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Stay on topic, don't post unless you are furthering the thread topic. Childish or pointless comments are unnecessary, if you're making a point explain it with facts and information.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
wow...you know what a BOV does. congrats. we have known for a long time that the SS/TC's have bypass valves, as do our supercharged engines. so calm down turbo fanboy. the bypass valves throw the air back into the intake tube. it is audible iin the SS/TC and will only get louder with an aftermarket intake.
It's pretty obvious that many other people in the thread don't. I wonder how much boost the BPV will hold. Some guys in srtland have issues with the stock one leaking at higher boost.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 AM

Thank you. Seems your the only one who read my post at all. And also, my post was not childish nor off topic. I was just stating that the BOV or BPV was used on all turboed applications... not for high speeds. So thank you xonic for helping me out there. And it seems that people think having the bypass valve go to the intake keeps boost up. Sorry but no. It simply releases pressure, doesn't store it.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm too JDM for you

Originally Posted by xonic
It's pretty obvious that many other people in the thread don't. I wonder how much boost the BPV will hold. Some guys in srtland have issues with the stock one leaking at higher boost.
there was one guy with an HHR SS running a tune on his that cranked the turbo to 26psi(i believe) and no boost leaks. afr's were all over the place and injectors were waaayy maxed but no boost leak. lol

Thank you. Seems your the only one who read my post at all. And also, my post was not childish nor off topic. I was just stating that the BOV or BPV was used on all turboed applications... not for high speeds. So thank you xonic for helping me out there. And it seems that people think having the bypass valve go to the intake keeps boost up. Sorry but no. It simply releases pressure, doesn't store it.
very true, and sorry your first post just seemed like you were talking down to people. A blow off valve is possible on the SS/TC's but the car will run very rich between shifts and throw the car out of wack...people dont seem to understand this. until suitable tuning becomes available, they're bypass valves will work just fine.

Last edited by BLAZIN07SS; 06-04-2008 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Thank you. Seems your the only one who read my post at all. And also, my post was not childish nor off topic.
My post was directed to the 16 posts I had to delete, if I thought your post was childish or OT then I would have deleted it
Old 06-04-2008, 12:56 AM

Yes you are correct... The bypass valve will work great. And I was talking more about the bypass and bov as a whole. Just didn't seem that everyone knew what they really did. You can get aftermarket bypass valves too to hold more boost and not mess with the metered air. I'm a big ford guy but my girlfriend is crazy about these cars. I stumbled across this thread and just had to help out. I have an 81 mustang with a boosted carburated 4cyl on 17lbs of boost. All custom built by me. Sorry to come on so strong and seem like a total a**.

And thank you for clearing that up REIGN SS.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm too JDM for you

Yes you are correct... The bypass valve will work great. And I was talking more about the bypass and bov as a whole. Just didn't seem that everyone knew what they really did. You can get aftermarket bypass valves too to hold more boost and not mess with the metered air. I'm a big ford guy but my girlfriend is crazy about these cars. I stumbled across this thread and just had to help out. I have an 81 mustang with a boosted carburated 4cyl on 17lbs of boost. All custom built by me. Sorry to come on so strong and seem like a total a**.
no worries dude...SVO right? i love those cars...i used to be a big mustang guy myself but a rod shooting itself out of the block on my 1998 Mustang GT led me to get a new car. lol. i have been kind of out of the loop on mustangs for awhile now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 2008 cobalt BOV?