2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

New 2008 cobalt BOV?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neutrino
First mod I would do to the SS/TC is BOV. Personally, I like em. I loved mine in the SRT and I miss it. Gotta love how everyones head rips around to look at you when you blow by them.
SRT-4 and SS/TC are two diff cars. What works in one, doesnt work in another.

**** it dont listen to me, just throw a bov on. See what happens, so much for your no-lift-shift. Have fun with limp mode and no turbo whatsoever. and one more thing, when you bring your car to the dealer to get your recirc. put back on and everything that you prob fucked up fixed, guess what. OHHHH your warrenty has been voided that will be $2000 please?

And while your at it... Might as well get the turbonator from ebay. You know, the supercharge any car product! That **** will make you flyyyyyyy
Old 06-21-2008, 03:07 PM

srt-4 BOV are sneeze valves sound like crap
Old 06-24-2008, 06:11 PM

yeah....

You DON'T want a BOV (blow OFF valve) not BPV (bypass valve).

If you release air out of a BOV into the atmosphere/air your releasing air that was metered by the MAF or Mass Airflow Sensor and that air/fuel ratio is what the computer thinks is going into the engine....but WHOOPS you just released the air so hence more fuel goes in and causes rich craptastic running for a bit....

BPV's/what the SS/TC has, releases the air but they bypass it directly into the manifold again so the air stays in the engine and it runs fine.

BOV's are for non MAF systems or high power applications....

So on a standard SS/TC if you want crappy performance just for a sound be my guest...

...sorry if any of thats been said....
Old 06-24-2008, 06:30 PM

i like my pshhh sound i guess imma ricer..........

Originally Posted by SS_carnatic
You DON'T want a BOV (blow OFF valve) not BPV (bypass valve).

If you release air out of a BOV into the atmosphere/air your releasing air that was metered by the MAF or Mass Airflow Sensor and that air/fuel ratio is what the computer thinks is going into the engine....but WHOOPS you just released the air so hence more fuel goes in and causes rich craptastic running for a bit....

BPV's/what the SS/TC has, releases the air but they bypass it directly into the manifold again so the air stays in the engine and it runs fine.

BOV's are for non MAF systems or high power applications....

So on a standard SS/TC if you want crappy performance just for a sound be my guest...

...sorry if any of thats been said....
**** i did my build all wrong, guess i'll start over............. you can use a BOV with a maf setup, like mike25 said, but it's gotta be before the maf sensor so only metered air gets in to the motor.

Last edited by jimbos'ss; 06-24-2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-25-2008, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
i like my pshhh sound i guess imma ricer..........

**** i did my build all wrong, guess i'll start over............. you can use a BOV with a maf setup, like mike25 said, but it's gotta be before the maf sensor so only metered air gets in to the motor.

note: the "So on a standard SS/TC"

ie: I was talking about replacing the STOCK BPV with a BOV which is what the OP sounded like they were asking, Post MAF'ers slapping on BOV's would run like crap

I'm not knocking BOV's just people who don't know how to use them, hell none of us like compressor surge, but you might as well do it right and not create any more problems.(talking generally, not stern forum voice)

this is why we all need vent to atmosphere LOLZ.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Qul7MiImk

Last edited by SS_carnatic; 06-25-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:42 AM

I've got compressor surge on my bypass valve right now lol

Anybody that went to the ny meeting can vouch for that
Old 07-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
bov

a blow off valve and bypass valve as basicaly the same thing, except the bypass valve has a rubber hose coming from where the air would get vented to atmosphere on a bov and it is connected just behind the air filter before it enters the turbo. when i had my talon it was done like that because otherwise it would run lean when it would blow off and the motor would struggle. but gm maf doesnt do that so it would peobably work fine just putting a bov on there instead, or just taking off the hose and plugging the hose on the intake with a small air filter or something. but it does cause ur turbo to spool all the way up again. but for myself who loves the sound of a spooling turbo and a blow off valve i dont mind, but if u wanna stay in boost and win that race, keep the bypass, u can hear it in the car somewhat anyway. unless u want to brag to the whole world u have a turbo

i totally replied to the wrong post here

Last edited by tomj77; 07-14-2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-12-2008, 05:53 PM

so if you didnt care about power or whatever and you just wanted to hear the blow off sound..how would you put one on the car if theres no mount for it..i jsut baught a 09 ss/tc and i have no clue where the stock bpv is..i would like to put a aftermarket on but i dont see where you'd put it..
Old 10-19-2008, 02:49 AM

^x2 !
Old 10-25-2008, 09:28 PM

To use a external BOV one must relocate the MAF element to a blow thru system. The MAf element must be closer to the throttle plate than the BOV.
THe MAf trasfer must be recalibrated via HPT to get this to work correctly. Our solstice has been this way for 20K miles, never had a CEL over it.

New Era will have these blow thru MAF / BOV pipes availible within a month.

THis is a solstice but here's what the pipes NewEra will have (prototypes likely next week some time) sound like

External BOV LNF

Last edited by Baldturbofreak; 10-28-2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: I have no idea how to embed youtube stuff
Old 10-28-2008, 11:02 PM

That camera can't even describe how good that BOV sounds...I'm sure it sounds A LOT better in person...I hate how cameras distort the sound of everything (exhaust, BOV, etc...)
Old 10-28-2008, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Magill8
I've got compressor surge on my bypass valve right now lol

Anybody that went to the ny meeting can vouch for that
lawl yea that was kinda funny lol that saab is FAWKZ
Old 11-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Exclamation all bypass system guys...

hey, yep,
i been doin my research on this, and it's all a recurculatng bypass system. the wastegate, and the "bypass" is all internal, and therefoe goes back into the intake, so putting an aftermarket blowoff valve on this thing would screw you over, unless you move your air flow sensor, and then get it tuned to understand the "missing" air....
Old 11-01-2008, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by badbaltguy
hey, yep,
i been doin my research on this, and it's all a recurculatng bypass system. the wastegate, and the "bypass" is all internal, and therefoe goes back into the intake, so putting an aftermarket blowoff valve on this thing would screw you over, unless you move your air flow sensor, and then get it tuned to understand the "missing" air....
Doesn't the SRT-4 work the same way? If so, then Mopar has a "block off plate" that all you do is mount it on the bypass valve, and with the holes in the "block off plate" it releases the compressed air into the atmosphere rather than back into the intake. It doesn't mess with the computer or throw codes or anything.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:34 PM

hey, yep,
which is what Baldturbofreak is doing...he will be offering you TC guys charge piping with BOV done the CORRECT way!!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:06 AM

Correction, NewEra will have your correctly done BOV system. I just manufacture the goodies.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FutureEcotecOwner
Doesn't the SRT-4 work the same way? If so, then Mopar has a "block off plate" that all you do is mount it on the bypass valve, and with the holes in the "block off plate" it releases the compressed air into the atmosphere rather than back into the intake. It doesn't mess with the computer or throw codes or anything.
I dont believe the srt4 has a maf sensor, it uses map sensors and built in airflow tables to calculate airflow, so thats why the mopar plate doesnt affect anything.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by peachpuff
I dont believe the srt4 has a maf sensor, it uses map sensors and built in airflow tables to calculate airflow, so thats why the mopar plate doesnt affect anything.
Ahh, thanks for the info man.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by FuzzyBoost
Good point im kicking myself for posting this right now sorry guys you can delete this post
Quoted for the irony because this is now a sticky LOL
Old 11-24-2008, 05:07 PM

hey, yep,
Wastegate is exhaust side so vents back into exhaust system not intake

the wastegate is basically a bypass for the exhaust gases to regulate the turbo. Basically when a certain pre-set boost limit is achieved, the valve opens so the gases bypass the turbo thus regulating boost. When the pressure drops the valve closes and the cycle starts over again (this all happens quickly)

Edit: so not to confuse, it's the actuator that opens and closes the wastegate

Last edited by Benno_Bro; 11-24-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:06 AM

for all those that think a bov doesn't work with out moving the maf. YOUR WRONG This maf/map/iat car has 0 and I mean 0 problems with running a bov into the air the car doesn't go way rich/lean, the car doesn't stumble or anything. I will have pics/vids very soon!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 02:10 PM

Information on various parts for people!

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech101.html

Hope it helps a few
Old 12-23-2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by boostking
for all those that think a bov doesn't work with out moving the maf. YOUR WRONG This maf/map/iat car has 0 and I mean 0 problems with running a bov into the air the car doesn't go way rich/lean, the car doesn't stumble or anything. I will have pics/vids very soon!!!
x's a zillion
Old 12-24-2008, 03:22 PM

some1 make a how to on a BOV if any1 is up for it
Old 01-04-2009, 04:39 PM

*sigh* i guess ill do it when it comes in

for those of you interested in a BOV for the ss./tc synapse turbo has one for you guys, enjoy!

Quick Reply: New 2008 cobalt BOV?