2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

New LDK and blown K04r seals - need advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 01:44 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
New LDK and blown K04r seals - need advise

Sooo, swapped in brand new crate LDK motor. Put comp cams 10w30 oil in the engine, seated the Rings as zzp advises. Drove car for 200 miles to get dyno tuned (varying mph and engine speed during the trip). Dyno tuned car on same oil. Drove back on same oil. Noticed she's burning oil. Checked plugs, and not burning oil in cylinders. So obviously, the turbo seals are done. The shavings I found in old motor oil filter are minimal I think.(old motor lost some compression in Cyl4, not all. Compression test @75psi) The shavings I found in new motors oil filter are 3x worse. It's obvious this new LDK engine was not ran before shipped from factory so it's not unheard of to find some shavings I believe. Most shavings are shiny aluminum colored and there are a few brass looking shavings. This is the case for BOTH filters. Newer engine filter just has more.
Sooooo, I'm not sure what the hell to do. Are all these shavings coming from the turbo? OR is the shavings what destroyed turbo seals? What are the brass colored shavings from? Do I run it some more with an oil change and new filter before sending in turbo? I don't wanna get turbo fixed and run shavings through it again if that is indeed what cause the seal failure. Any advise or wisdom would be greatly appreciated guys. I can't make up my mind what to do.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:05 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I thought brass was rod bearings? **** I can't remember from school
Old 08-05-2016, 06:21 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
I don't have experience with rebuilding these motors but I do with v8's. When you say a lot, what does that look like, and what is the size of them. If the motor is thrown together on an assembly line it's reasonable to assume that there could have been a few clearances not 100%. So if it's light flaking I could see that. I would not send the turbo in till you have rid the motor of them. I would do oil changes frequently to ensure they are getting trapped out of your filter and not run high rpm till they get flushed through the motor. Remember if they are effecting the turbo seals they also may be floating around crank and rod bearings. Have you had someone follow you to verify its smoking under boost and not just while you are driving normal?
Old 08-05-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
possibility of the metal shavings coming just from the turbo, if it did i reckon that turbo would have a ridiculous amount of end play. have you pulled the turbo off to check it?
Old 08-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
brass is usually turbo related from what I recall.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
^troof it would be chewed up bearings, OP when you swapped the new motor in did you prime the turbo by removing the fuel pump fuse and relay then crank it?
Old 08-06-2016, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
I don't have experience with rebuilding these motors but I do with v8's. When you say a lot, what does that look like, and what is the size of them. If the motor is thrown together on an assembly line it's reasonable to assume that there could have been a few clearances not 100%. So if it's light flaking I could see that. I would not send the turbo in till you have rid the motor of them. I would do oil changes frequently to ensure they are getting trapped out of your filter and not run high rpm till they get flushed through the motor. Remember if they are effecting the turbo seals they also may be floating around crank and rod bearings. Have you had someone follow you to verify its smoking under boost and not just while you are driving normal?
No I have not. It's is most noticeable when in vacuum, coming to a stop after some light pulls.

Originally Posted by nathan112i
possibility of the metal shavings coming just from the turbo, if it did i reckon that turbo would have a ridiculous amount of end play. have you pulled the turbo off to check it?
I have not. The funny thing when I got my k04r, it had a rediculous amount of shaft play. I contacted turbo bay and asked, wtf. He said turbo checked out 100% before it left and oil should take up the play. It did to a degree and I ran it seemingly without issue, until now.
Originally Posted by nathan112i
^troof it would be chewed up bearings, OP when you swapped the new motor in did you prime the turbo by removing the fuel pump fuse and relay then crank it?
Absolutely. Even when I first got the turbo, I did like 3-4 key cycles to get everything primed. After that, I even had a buddy start the car while I held the compressor wheel to make sure it never spun without oil. When I swapped turbo onto new engine, I didn't have another set of hands and turbo wasn't brand new but engine was. I cranked the engine 5 or 6 key cycles before introducing fuel. So it cranked for at least 1 minutes before I started it. This is shitty. I'm always super careful with this stuff. Seems the old turbo may have actually been the demise of old motor considering the fact it never lost all compression. So a scored cylinder wall may be what happened.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:14 AM

So what are you going to do now? This is my first turbo car but in the past the brass shavings have always pointed to bearings in my Na motors. If the plugs look good and you are satisfied with compression, I would keep flushing new oil through the motor to get all the shaving out before they impact the pump or bearings. And pull the turbo apart to see what's going on there.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Thats really unfortunate.

I have my own deal with turbo bay. I bought a brand new k04r second hand. It has not been run yet. The guy was parting out the car before he put it on. It has which is in my opinion exsessive shaft play but was told oil will take up the tolerences. Now with ball bearing turbos they generally have a little shaft play and when it recieves oil and oil prrssure
it wont have any.

Now matt at turbobay told me to run 5w40 oil...... this to me is a way of saying his tolerences are loose or he cant get the tolerences tighter. Even with all the road racing i do i have never found a need for 40 weight oil in these motors.

When i worked at werks our k04+ was done by pte. None of them had even a 1/4 of the shaft play these have.they also are double the price. Matt does a lot of work to these turbos for what they cost. I will give him that but i feel due to the cost and what ive seen with these turbos and now hearing of excessive shaft play more then once i feel the quality is not there in comparison.

My suggestion to you is to remove the turbo and cycle oil through the engine 3 to 4 times. Brass is generally very soft and chances are if you catch it in time it wont do any damage. If you need additional hrlp or support pm me. Ill shoot you my number
The following users liked this post:
LNFwagonSS (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 12:42 PM

Appreciate the advise/help guys. Today my plan is to pull off the turbo, oil pan, oil pump, timing stuff, and get as much of that crap outta there.
For reference I'll post pics of the oil filter media.

Old motor oil filter, k&n oil filter, about 3k miles

Name:  IMG_20160805_242031439_zpsjeli0mzi.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  116.4 KB

New motor oil filter, stock oil filter, about 450 miles

Name:  received_10153620282640163_zpsnusw3ndn.jpeg
Views: 207
Size:  35.9 KB

It's hard to tell from the pics but just know the bottom/newer filter is 3x worse than the old k&n filter
Old 08-06-2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by LNFwagonSS
Appreciate the advise/help guys. Today my plan is to pull off the turbo, oil pan, oil pump, timing stuff, and get as much of that crap outta there. For reference I'll post pics of the oil filter media. Old motor oil filter, k&n oil filter, about 3k miles New motor oil filter, stock oil filter, about 450 miles It's hard to tell from the pics but just know the bottom/newer filter is 3x worse than the old k&n filter
Good call on your plans. What are you going to do about the turbo? How many miles have you put on it?
Old 08-06-2016, 07:48 PM

Good call on your plans. What are you going to do about the turbo? How many miles have you put on it?
It's getting sent back to turbo bay. If I didn't already spend 2k on the LDK I would kill it with fire and mount a bw257 in its place. The k04r is already tuned for so Ill just have it fixed and use it the rest of the summer then go with a better turbo this winter. Not many miles on this turbo, maybe 2k. Still, I shouldn't judge it quite yet as I'm not 100% sure it's the entire problem.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Omiotek
Thats really unfortunate. I have my own deal with turbo bay. I bought a brand new k04r second hand. It has not been run yet. The guy was parting out the car before he put it on. It has which is in my opinion exsessive shaft play but was told oil will take up the tolerences. Now with ball bearing turbos they generally have a little shaft play and when it recieves oil and oil prrssure it wont have any. Now matt at turbobay told me to run 5w40 oil...... this to me is a way of saying his tolerences are loose or he cant get the tolerences tighter. Even with all the road racing i do i have never found a need for 40 weight oil in these motors. When i worked at werks our k04+ was done by pte. None of them had even a 1/4 of the shaft play these have.they also are double the price. Matt does a lot of work to these turbos for what they cost. I will give him that but i feel due to the cost and what ive seen with these turbos and now hearing of excessive shaft play more then once i feel the quality is not there in comparison. My suggestion to you is to remove the turbo and cycle oil through the engine 3 to 4 times. Brass is generally very soft and chances are if you catch it in time it wont do any damage. If you need additional hrlp or support pm me. Ill shoot you my number
I'm on my third year running the + and Vahdyx (now ecaulk 's car) had one a year before I got one. Pretty sure it's still going strong.
Omiotek I messaged Dave last week about maybe pulling the trigger on a 6258. Probably be my winter project. Thanks for your advice and for helping Lnf wagon.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:13 AM

Looks like a lot of play but this is pretty much how it was when I got it. I know another guy who got one shortly after me and he said his had zero play and he knows his **** so wtf...

Old 08-07-2016, 06:53 AM

Looks like a lot of play but this is pretty much how it was when I got it. I know another guy who got one shortly after me and he said his had zero play and he knows his **** so wtf... Video Link: https://youtu.be/tihYEVguDfg
Wow, I would call that excessive. Oil can take up a little but that seems to be a lot. My + had 0 and still does. It doesn't look like it's been rubbing though, from what I saw.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
I'm on my third year running the + and Vahdyx (now ecaulk 's car) had one a year before I got one. Pretty sure it's still going strong.
Omiotek I messaged Dave last week about maybe pulling the trigger on a 6258. Probably be my winter project. Thanks for your advice and for helping Lnf wagon.
Mines still kicking ass and I don't drive like a granny. Side note didn't get a chance to log 60-100 times yesterday.

Looks like a lot of play but this is pretty much how it was when I got it. I know another guy who got one shortly after me and he said his had zero play and he knows his **** so wtf...

End play woes - YouTube
Holy **** that is no way right, you can see the turbine hitting the housing. I'd say the turbo is the issue. Hopefully you've caught all the brass in the oil filter.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Yeah my R didn't have any play when I installed it
Old 08-08-2016, 03:34 AM

Well, after teardown, all I found was minimal debris. Thank God! Found zero metal debris in oil pickup, oil pump, timing components, chains oil squirter, cam phasers, actuators, and turbo oil inlet And no damaged parts from said debris. I will not take apart turbo as I do not want to void any warranty which sucks because I won't be able to confirm failure with my own eyes. This is my first "engine break in with blown turbo, component inspection/oil flush" lmao. So I was unsure of what I would find. The bottom of the oil pan had most if not all of the debris. Most of which was tiny bits of aluminum presumably casting flash. Only a couple specs of brass and and some peices of steel. Most of the steel peices were very thin strands. Looked identical to an eye lash or short peices of human hair. I have not and will not pull the motor down to rod/crank/cam bearing inspection levels as I feel it's not necessary at this time. Turbo being sent out tomorrow for "free inspection". So far, turbobay has been easy to do with. I hope he can make this thing right at minimal cost.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:18 AM

Good to hear man. Hope he gets it back quick so you can make some more passes before it gets cold.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

Well, after teardown, all I found was minimal debris. Thank God! Found zero metal debris in oil pickup, oil pump, timing components, chains oil squirter, cam phasers, actuators, and turbo oil inlet And no damaged parts from said debris. I will not take apart turbo as I do not want to void any warranty which sucks because I won't be able to confirm failure with my own eyes. This is my first "engine break in with blown turbo, component inspection/oil flush" lmao. So I was unsure of what I would find. The bottom of the oil pan had most if not all of the debris. Most of which was tiny bits of aluminum presumably casting flash. Only a couple specs of brass and and some peices of steel. Most of the steel peices were very thin strands. Looked identical to an eye lash or short peices of human hair. I have not and will not pull the motor down to rod/crank/cam bearing inspection levels as I feel it's not necessary at this time. Turbo being sent out tomorrow for "free inspection". So far, turbobay has been easy to do with. I hope he can make this thing right at minimal cost.
I'm probably doing the same for my turbo just for piece of mind
Old 08-08-2016, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
holy shaft play batman. the k04r's arent ball bearing are they? There should not be that much play in a journal bearing turbo.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Sorry to hear about this OP!

I'm in the middle of taking my R off the totaled sedan. I'll let you know about shaft play. I've put about 7K miles on mine.

FWIW, both R's that I've installed had minimal shaft play.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by leemanfor
holy shaft play batman. the k04r's arent ball bearing are they? There should not be that much play in a journal bearing turbo.
pretty sure they are all journal bearing

Originally Posted by T-Man
Sorry to hear about this OP!

I'm in the middle of taking my R off the totaled sedan. I'll let you know about shaft play. I've put about 7K miles on mine.

FWIW, both R's that I've installed had minimal shaft play.
Totaled sedan?! When did this happen?
Old 12-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

What did you guys found out about the shafts play? I just took mine off it has minimal play like tman mentioned
Old 12-26-2016, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
What did you guys found out about the shafts play? I just took mine off it has minimal play like tman mentioned
Lucky you. Mine had a lot of shaft play when new and even after the rebuild. Wayyyy more play than the my 30k mile stock turbo.

Quick Reply: New LDK and blown K04r seals - need advise