2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

So who thinks their intakes are messing up their car??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So who thinks their intakes are messing up their car??

Recently ive had some issues with my car, turbo pissing coolant, bad gas mileage and or course the messed up fuel logs. Is anyone in agreement with me when i say that i think the stock intake flows as much as aftermarkets?? Yes i know that the sound of the BPV will be gone but i think a stock intake actually performs better than a CAI, not so sure about a SRI however.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my hahn intake works perfect
Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by glhs379
my hahn intake works perfect
as does mine but i hear a few ppl saying that it messes up the fuel tables and i believe that the stock intake box with a k&n drop in flows just as well. I think ZZP is running the stock box still
Old 08-18-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Black08SSTC
Recently ive had some issues with my car, turbo pissing coolant, bad gas mileage and or course the messed up fuel logs. Is anyone in agreement with me when i say that i think the stock intake flows as much as aftermarkets?? Yes i know that the sound of the BPV will be gone but i think a stock intake actually performs better than a CAI, not so sure about a SRI however.
The stock intake with airbox mods flows just as much as any aftermarket intake. To be perfectly honest my car is more responsive especially in the lowend and midrange with the stock airbox. Tofu showed a loss of 15-20 wrtq with his injen intake even after he tuned for it.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator2
The stock intake with airbox mods flows just as much as any aftermarket intake. To be perfectly honest my car is more responsive especially in the lowend and midrange with the stock airbox. Tofu showed a loss of 15-20 wrtq with his injen intake even after he tuned for it.
thanks, i believe i will be going back to stock airbox when i get an intercooler and a retune for catless as well. Did you leave the air-tube on it or did you take it off??
Old 08-18-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Black08SSTC
thanks, i believe i will be going back to stock airbox when i get an intercooler and a retune for catless as well. Did you leave the air-tube on it or did you take it off??
I am running the AEM elbow to the turbo and no snorkel and will be testing a home brew ram air setup that connects to the stock airbox and runs under the bumper. Off to Home Depot tonight and some testing to see if it increases flow at higher speeds when you need that extra power.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:39 AM

eeewwww and intake give's less HP! THat sucks!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by RuSSo-29
eeewwww and intake give's less HP! THat sucks!
It gives less torqe, read the post again . I believe the intake flows better at higher end for bigger turbos when they need that much air. We that are still using stock turbos really don't boost much more than 22psi, and so we don't need anything bigger than what our intakes can already give us, however, if you were to step up the turbo, then I'd believe the stock intake qould not be as efficient, and thus you would need an aftermarket intake. And for losing tq, I think you'd still loose it, even with a bigger turbo, but your HP gains will be MUCH more than if you were to have your stock one on.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Leveecius
It gives less torqe, read the post again . I believe the intake flows better at higher end for bigger turbos when they need that much air. We that are still using stock turbos really don't boost much more than 22psi, and so we don't need anything bigger than what our intakes can already give us, however, if you were to step up the turbo, then I'd believe the stock intake qould not be as efficient, and thus you would need an aftermarket intake. And for losing tq, I think you'd still loose it, even with a bigger turbo, but your HP gains will be MUCH more than if you were to have your stock one on.
Stock airbox flows really well. Just the filter, snorkel and intake tube shoud be modded. The stock box has flowed over 40 lbs/min with a GT3076 at 20 psi.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:12 AM

I am running the AEM elbow to the turbo and no snorkel and will be testing a home brew ram air setup that connects to the stock airbox and runs under the bumper. Off to Home Depot tonight and some testing to see if it increases flow at higher speeds when you need that extra power.
Good luck with that.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:32 AM

Stock airbox flows really well. Just the filter, snorkel and intake tube shoud be modded. The stock box has flowed over 40 lbs/min with a GT3076 at 20 psi.
Versus what with an intake?

I've been having trouble with this idea. The common sense test tells me that a larger surface area filter with a larger, shorter, overall straighter pipe going to the turbo means more flow due to less restriction. It would also mean the turbo would be less likely to surge I would think.

Just wondering... what flow does a K04+ versus a K04 have typically?

Last edited by Stamina; 08-18-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im getting rid of my hahn.

its been so wacky. Ill prolly just throw on my stock intake. what mods to the box are u talking about?

I need my maf sensor screws. its the only thing stopping me from doing it right now.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by reign1

its been so wacky. Ill prolly just throw on my stock intake. what mods to the box are u talking about?

I need my maf sensor screws. its the only thing stopping me from doing it right now.
thats why i put my sensor screws back in the whole before i put it away
Old 08-18-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Stamina
Versus what with an intake?

I've been having trouble with this idea. The common sense test tells me that a larger surface area filter with a larger, shorter, overall straighter pipe going to the turbo means more flow due to less restriction. It would also mean the turbo would be less likely to surge I would think.

Just wondering... what flow does a K04+ versus a K04 have typically?
Surge is the issue I have with my AEM even tuned to 0 LTFT and -2 to +2 STFT which is about as good as it gets the turbo surges on cold startup and because I cannot modify the ignition timing or fueling in cat warmup mode I cannot tune out the surge. Part of the issue I think is the fact that the air being read by the MAF takes a lot longer to actually reach the motor which is causing a rich condition that cannot be tuned out well because of its transient nature.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:01 AM

i set them down inside the stock box. and i left my friends house. he called me when he left back to NC (ARMY) that he had my maf sensor bolts.

i was like shittttttt...... so im trying to make the hahn intake work. but obviously its making my car act like a bitch

Surge is the issue I have with my AEM even tuned to 0 LTFT and -2 to +2 STFT which is about as good as it gets the turbo surges on cold startup and because I cannot modify the ignition timing or fueling in cat warmup mode I cannot tune out the surge. Part of the issue I think is the fact that the air being read by the MAF takes a lot longer to actually reach the motor which is causing a rich condition that cannot be tuned out well because of its transient nature.
wait werent u saying the AEM intake is prolly the best bc of where the MAF sensor was located?

ZZP has a whole thread on these mods in this section.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:02 AM

i set them down inside the stock box. and i left my friends house. he called me when he left back to NC (ARMY) that he had my maf sensor bolts.

i was like shittttttt...... so im trying to make the hahn intake work. but obviously its making my car act like a bitch
yea i really think that any CAI is messing up the logs and the computer cant compensate for that. im going back to stock intake tonight after a dip in the pool
Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 AM

that how to is a little confusing....

bot to mention does anyone kow what type of k&N drop in that is?

do you tune for an aftermarket intake when u do the airbox mod or leave stock tables?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:16 AM

i have that drop in, i used it for about 7 months before hahn came out with the intake. I honestly think my car with just a tune and k&n drop in was as fast and more smooth than it was with intake and charge pipes!! hold on a sec ill get the part #

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2311

Last edited by Black08SSTC; 08-18-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Banned

I'll be installing the CIA SRI whenever it gets here. Vince supposedly is able to make adjustments in his tune so that everything runs fine. We will see...
Old 08-18-2009, 11:22 AM

wait werent u saying the AEM intake is prolly the best bc of where the MAF sensor was located?
Yes, but that was in theory. I had not tested the intake yet when I made that statement.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:23 AM

ZZP has a whole thread on these mods in this section.
Link to said thread? I too have the AEM intake and have the surging issue on cold startup and when letting off the gas when accelerating slowly. I would like to see how they are modding the silicone tube to adapt the maf sensor and what type of filter are they using in the stock airbox.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by orbalt08
Link to said thread? I too have the AEM intake and have the surging issue on cold startup and when letting off the gas when accelerating slowly. I would like to see how they are modding the silicone tube to adapt the maf sensor and what type of filter are they using in the stock airbox.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/factory-airbox-mod-163744/
Old 08-18-2009, 11:27 AM

^^ Thanks

Quick Reply: So who thinks their intakes are messing up their car??