2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

So who thinks their intakes are messing up their car??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, before anyone goes out and buys the AEM piece to use with the stock air box, give me a couple of days to finalize something. For the past couple of weeks I have been working with a local fabricator on different intake parts and we are close to being done. Prices should be comparable.

What may be happening is that we've got the MAF/ECU out of sync with the engine when the MAF starts getting relocated.
I wish CIA had their intakes out, the MAF placement is nearly identical to stock. Very curious to see if they have the bucking problem also.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stamina
That's funny you mentioned that because that thought crossed my mind two days ago when I was thinking about MAF placement.

I wonder if there's a table that needs to be unlocked that has to do with "latency of MAF readings". In other words, the amount of time between the time the MAF makes a reading until the ECU knows it's time to act upon that reading.

What may be happening is that we've got the MAF/ECU out of sync with the engine when the MAF starts getting relocated.
VE tables, but there would have to be a ton of VE tables because of the VVT. We also need optimum engine spark and a bunch of others.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Injen intake works perfectly for me... i dont feel any loss in hp.

MAF sensor liked the tune. yep... no problems from here.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Don't these cars have a MAP sensor also? Does it participate in monitoring airmass, or does the ECU rely solely on the MAF for that?

Far be it for me to criticize automotive engineers who are much smarter than I am, but using a sensor that is 15-20 feet of piping AWAY from the intake manifold to measure instantaneous airflow into the engine seems like a system prone to issue.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rownan
Don't these cars also have a MAP sensor also? Does it participate in monitoring airmass, or does the ECU rely solely on the MAF for that?

Far be it for me to criticize automotive engineers who are much smarter than I am, but using a sensor that is 15-20 feet of piping AWAY from the intake manifold to measure instantaneous airflow into the engine seems like a system prone to issue.
Yes. It uses MAP and MAF to calculate cylinder airmass. I am just guessing based on the fact that this is the only intake that relocates to MAF to the inner fender and it is the only intake that seems to cause surging issues.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:21 PM

I put the snorkeless airbox mod back on tonight with the K&N filter & AEM silicone tube to the turbo. I'll return the MAF cal to stock & log tomorrow to see if compressor surge is gone. Silicone coupler to put venturi back on is on order, should be here by the weekend.

Looking forward to the Terminator2 Ram Air trial!

Edit: Logged a run and the MAF is the same as the AEM CAI for all practical purposes. LTFT's back to within 1% of stock. Midrange is smoother than AEM CAI was. I'll log a long drive tomorrow.

Last edited by Iam Broke; 08-18-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wickedlsj
Guys, before anyone goes out and buys the AEM piece to use with the stock air box, give me a couple of days to finalize something. For the past couple of weeks I have been working with a local fabricator on different intake parts and we are close to being done. Prices should be comparable.
We should have a price ready in the next few days. BTW, this will also be less than the AEM, will include the K&N drop in filter, and will be available in a few different finishes for a minor extra fee. You also will not have to worry about the nipple breaking off like the stock tube and some of the other competion. Hope to have pictures up this weekend and final prices set.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:21 AM

David - PM me tomorrow when you have time, I have a great idea for that RAM AIR idea.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:43 AM

I only hear the BPV fluttering on part throttle while cruising. I increased the airloads on the bottom end on my last flash and that is where it started, I'm going to try to return the values in the low end back to stock and see what happens. I can't imagine the surging at low rpm, low throttle would be damaging to the turbo but then again this is my first turbo car.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
I put the snorkeless airbox mod back on tonight with the K&N filter & AEM silicone tube to the turbo. I'll return the MAF cal to stock & log tomorrow to see if compressor surge is gone. Silicone coupler to put venturi back on is on order, should be here by the weekend.

Looking forward to the Terminator2 Ram Air trial!

Edit: Logged a run and the MAF is the same as the AEM CAI for all practical purposes. LTFT's back to within 1% of stock. Midrange is smoother than AEM CAI was. I'll log a long drive tomorrow.
Stock airbox with AEM elbow, no snorkel, and the stock airfilter.

The LTFT are -2.3. Airflow and pressure do drop off more up top than with the intake. On my way home from work I will log the airflow with the drop in filter to see if the flow improves up top. The stock filter is supposedly themost restrictive part of the air intake. As of now the VE airflow is 26-27 lbs/min up top and 29.5 lbs/min in the midrange.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 AM

It looks like it flows quite a bit less than what I have now. But I really don't know how to read a chart like that, or what most of the numbers and line movements mean.

Edit: Nevermind, I think I see that it flows very well, if not the same
Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by orbalt08
It looks like it flows quite a bit less than what I have now. But I really don't know how to read a chart like that, or what most of the numbers and line movements mean.

Edit: Nevermind, I think I see that it flows very well, if not the same
In the midrange it flows the same as the AEM but up top it flows less by 2-3 lbs/min. I will see if the K&N drop in filter cures that disparity later.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator2
In the midrange it flows the same as the AEM but up top it flows less by 2-3 lbs/min. I will see if the K&N drop in filter cures that disparity later.
im sure it will.

why arent u using the snorkel?

isnt that pulling in the hot air from ur engine bay and not the cold air from ur fender well?

Air box mod+functional Air ram hood=more HP??????
Old 08-19-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by reign1
im sure it will.

why arent u using the snorkel?

isnt that pulling in the hot air from ur engine bay and not the cold air from ur fender well?

Air box mod+functional Air ram hood=more HP??????
I am going to hook my ram air setup to where the snorkel used to go so I did not bother putting it back on.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 AM

how bout we cut a hole in our hood. and re route the snorkel to run through the hood.

lmao
Old 08-19-2009, 12:13 PM

how bout we cut a hole in our hood. and re route the snorkel to run through the hood.

lmao
That would be so dumb looking.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 PM

lmao
You first lol!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 PM

umm yeah it would.

lol
Old 08-20-2009, 01:13 AM

As far as crazy intake ideas, I got to thinking why instead of going up or up and over to the fender all the time why we can't just have an elbow going down to grab air going beneath the car. It'd be fresh, cool, and rammed air (if ducted forward). I know it'd obviously be a water risk and all, but why don't high performance cars have that option on dry tracks? You wouldn't even have a higher dirt issue than normal if you put it towards the front. There's gotta be something I'm missing.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina
As far as crazy intake ideas, I got to thinking why instead of going up or up and over to the fender all the time why we can't just have an elbow going down to grab air going beneath the car. It'd be fresh, cool, and rammed air (if ducted forward). I know it'd obviously be a water risk and all, but why don't high performance cars have that option on dry tracks? You wouldn't even have a higher dirt issue than normal if you put it towards the front. There's gotta be something I'm missing.
That is exactly what I am going to do. Well, I have determined that an intake is not that much of a benefit. With the K&N drop in and no snorkel my LTFT were -6.2. Once I recalibrated the MAF the car pulls harder than it ever has. I leaned the A/F out a touch and am running a ton of timing with no knock at all on repeated hard pulls. I did 60-100 mph last night in 5 seconds flat which is a full second faster than it used to take (really fast considering it takes almost a full second for the throttle to open). It went from 65-100 in 4 seconds.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:45 PM

i hate u term. lol
Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would like to thank you guys for doing so much of this expensive research. If I just keep waiting, I'll have saved thousands, and you guys will have the magic combination all ready to go. Good thing I'm patient.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by SSlobalt
I would like to thank you guys for doing so much of this expensive research. If I just keep waiting, I'll have saved thousands, and you guys will have the magic combination all ready to go. Good thing I'm patient.
Ebay is your friend. I can always sell what I don't care for, it helps cut the losses and this stuff is my hobby anyway.

The people in these and a few other forums help us all out greatly.

My K&N setup with the stock airbox flows the same as the AEM did. My LTFT's weren't as off as Term's were but I started back from the stock MAF tables, only had to correct 2% from stock. Still snorkeless waiting on some couplers. My IAT1 temps were way up stuck in traffic yesterday drawing from the engine bay. I saw 127* with an 81* ambient.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 PM

i hate u term. lol
LOL. It is all in the tune. It was runnng super rich with the drop in for the first 2 seconds at WOT with the stock MAF tables ( It was as rich as 0.69-0.75 lambda). Once I fixed that and leaned it out a little ( a lot in someplaces) it felt like it gained 40 whp.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Black08SSTC
as does mine but i hear a few ppl saying that it messes up the fuel tables and i believe that the stock intake box with a k&n drop in flows just as well. I think ZZP is running the stock box still
Of course your fuel tables will be off you are ADDING MORE AIR. When you add more air you throw your AFR's off. Get your car tuned and I bet it will run a lot better.

I dont know about you guys but all you people that have mods yet no tune, WTF are you doing?

When you mod a Turbo 4 cylinder the most important thing is the tune. So if you guys are running around with mods on the stock tune no **** your going to have problems.

Let me strap on a Fast 90 on my GTO and it will do the same thing. Anytime you add more air you should get it tuned especially with forced induction.

You guys need to get your **** together. I feel like this thread is made by some kid who's dad bought him his car and because he doesn't know how a motor/ turbo work he wants to blame it on the intake. LOL Get real. The only problem is the fact that your trying to shove twice as much air into the motor on the stock tune.

Think of it like this. I give you clear glass and tell you its water you get excited because your really thirsty, But it was actually everclear, I bet your will have reacted a lot better to the water because you were expecting it

Quick Reply: So who thinks their intakes are messing up their car??