2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Taintedred07's Blown Motor Future Build Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taintedred07's Blown Motor Future Build Thread

Car: 2010 Cobalt SS 58k miles

Mods: ZFR, ZZP stage 1 cams, 82lb valve springs, ZZP lnf injectors, phenolic spacer, full bolt ons

Tune: Area47 tune running full e85 @ 25.5psi (19* maybe?)

As some of you know, myself and Dart were planning on to get some runs in, fine tune, and ultimately dyno all at MKC @ Kansas City, MO Saturday morning. Well, I stay in Allen, TX so this is a good 8hr drive for me, but what the hell - go big or go home - I was set on getting dyno numbers for my zfr setup. No one on here seems to have zfr dyno numbers running full e85, let alone with cams and injectors. So I wanted to see 450whp and who knows about torque.

Friday afternoon rolls around...

Meanwhile, theres a girl(virgin) I've been talking to who stays in Silioam Springs, AR which is right on the border of Oklahoma and Arkansas. It's slightly out of the way, but would be totally worth it lol anyways, so like any long distance e85 trip, I planned out the e85 stations in the areas along the route I was taking. This was not my first time though, I drove from Fort Riley, KS to Plano, TX on full e85 utilizing the same strategy of looking up e85 stations I would need to stop at but also calling them to make sure they sold the stuff. You'd be surprised at how many places I called asking "Do you sell e85?" "Do we seeell whaaaaat? Hey Joe do we sell this some e85 something???....No sir we don't have that kind here." Sometimes they don't even know what it is or know they have it. So calling ahead of time definitely is a must. So I called and made sure they all had e85 ect.
I also had a couple autozone giftcards left over so I bought 2 5gal gas cans and decided to fill up a total of 3 5gal gas cans with e85 and put them in my trunk so that I could go straight to the virgin, I mean the girl.

So around 2pm I'm finally on the road. This is also my dd, usually I stay out of boost for daily driving except for merging ect, or when a saleen mustang wants to race although with the ZFR it is a lot harder to not slightly roll the throttle driving wherever. Not only that, but I've only had this ZFR on the car for maybe a month. I put the bigger injectors in that previous Sunday too. Anyways, the one thing I've had yet to change is the clutch. Even when I dynoed on the stock turbo hitting 356whp 430wtq I was on stock clutch and it held pretty good for what it is. So then out of no where...

BLAM!

I get a really good deal on a ZFR lol d

So the whole clutch idea went out the window...with that being said, on the way driving through Oklahoma, I began noticing my clutch pedal started vibrating as I either engaged or disengaged the clutch. Not only this, but it began getting a lot worse at idle, I could feel the vibrating from the tranny unless my foot was holding down the clutch pedal. Again, this didn't really start happenning until this trip lol and it was getting worse. So I called up my buddy Japeatr he thought it could be the tob going out, I was already 2 hours out so I said what the hell and kept going.

This girl has her own apartment, but apparently has a psycho mom that randomly comes over to her place ect. By the time I got to Siliaom Springs it was after 7pm and she was at work until after 11pm. So I met up with her at the fast food joint she works at "Shaxbys" but then left to find a bar or something to do in the meantime. After a couple hours of googling and searching for a bar or restaurant with a bar, I gave up and headed back to Shaxbys and chilled in my car for an hour or so.

At this point in time in my life, I've never been with a virgin, so I was kind of excited and curious at the same time lol. Anyways, she had to work like an extra hour cleaning because of an event in the morning. So around 12am or so she finally got of work. We were parked side by side eachother and with windows rolled down we talked to figure out what was next. She said her mom was waiting for her at her place so we couldn't go there(even though we planned on me staying the night) and she was tired ect ect. So we ended up chilling in her car and fooling around haha and that was that.

So around 1am, I decided to drive up to KC because I couldn't sleep in the car and felt like driving. At some point during the next hour, I realized how hungry I was and decided to stop at Dennys. While downshifting into 2nd during a turn, it grinded before sliding in place. Not only was this disturbing, but it happened almost everytime I tried shifting into 2nd.

5hrs away, really? Tranny problems?

I've never had this problem before and assumed it was the synchro just like I've heard about and so on. So in Dennys while eating I checked the forum and found some people with the same grinding that was remedied by adjusting the shifter cables ect. So after paying, while in the Dennys parking lot, I presumed to tear off the plastic interior crap around the shifter, while also openning my belt and pants because of the massive gas attack the hobbit pancakes were giving me. I adjusted the shifter so that 2nd was about an inch or so closer to neutral, based on the forum and suggestions I read. 30min later after putting it back together I drove around the parking lot and proceeded to check my 2nd gear adjustments and put them to the test. At first it grinded, but almost every other time shifting in 2nd while in the parking lot it wasn't grinding anymore.

Satisfied, I resumed my long drive to KC. A while later, I realized the grinding in only 2nd began happening more often. Meanwhile, while accelerating in 2nd from about 40 I decide to do a small pull maybe 10psi maybe half throttle. What I was not expecting was...

BOOM!

My engine starts making all sorts of noises like a loud drunk Arnold Schwarzenegger posing on stage making fun of himself "AAHAHAHHGHGGGGGGUUALLALALALALALALHGGHGGGGHGHGHGHG HGHHG" Scaring the **** out of me I assumed I blew the trans and throw it in neutral, then realize you ******* this is your engine....SO SHUT IT OFF! So I shut it off and coasted to the shoulder on the overpass I was at. Keep in mind, all this happened in a matter of seconds. My RPD showed "data not available" which is never good, and ofcourse my cel was on. So I got out on the windy overpass at 3am and looked at the tranny, but didn't notice any fluid or damage ect.

However I look under the car and realize my entire oil pan has been drained. At this point I thought the ZFR blew, based on previous mishaps of other members, and tried looking under to see the damage but couldn't see much of anything. The top of the engine looked fine, but the lower charge pipe, intercooler, radiator, ect was covered in oil. So I looked behind the car and realized I had about a 40yard trail of oil behind me. So I called roadside assistance and got towed to a local Firestone, in Joplin, MO about 2 hours away from KC and about 6 hours away from Allen, TX.

I slept in the car, and when Firestone opened I talked to them about the whole situation. Apparently they don't work on "turbo" cars? Anyways, they were really cool and helped push the car on their lift so we could see the damage. Looking from underneath all you could see was drenched oil everywhere, and the ZFR appeared to be fine. Then the mechanic says "Ohhh, look here". So we then fine what appears to be a giant hole in the block....

Long story short, I was stranded in Joplin, Mo for 2 nights and ended up getting a 20ft empty uhaul and a car dolly and towed my cobalt back to Texas.

Here's the damage:

I guess the wristpen in the piston gave out which led to the rod snapping in half and blowing a hole the size of your fist through the front of the block, you can reach in there and spin the balance shaft lol

Build in Progress:

-Gen 3 2.1L Wiseco pistons 88mm, Molnar 4340 rods, (Mongorat's block)).
-New stock lnf head/stock valves, Arp studs, ATI Underdrive dampener, balance shaft delete, MrB timing bolts, Powell Pcv system, stage 1 cams/valve springs, Port injection on stock intake manifold/secondary fuel rail, Upgraded lpfp
-4.45 trans, no idea on clutch at the moment.
-Pt6262 turbo

Goal:

-Street car with track appearances, possible dd
-Area47 tune full e85 30-40psi 600-800whp.

Possibility:

-Nitrous?

This is a "***** out" build so to say while on a limited budget. I'm taking my time with this build and doing everything right, in Japeatr's garage which is an awesome experience btw to be able to see your car go from pieces to a beast. This build is going to take time and money, but I'm hoping to be done by the spring, early summer at the latest. I don't plan on putting wheels to the ground until the engine, transmission, suspension, has been properly modified to the appropriate level ect. I wasn't afraid to test the limits of the stock motor, and I sure as hell won't be afraid to turn up the boost with this block.

Any advice, suggestions, thoughts, comments, ect are all welcomed. I decided to pull the trigger on building the car vs parting out to go back to stock.

I will be updating accordingly with pics, ect. Were pulling the block thanksgiving weekend, and will be receiving mongos block in December sometime.

Stay tuned! Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by taintedred07; 12-11-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice story and build.

Can't say you're missing too much with the virgin thing except you get to 'teach' them and they tend to be more willing to try different things.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
First! Glad you called me at 4am to tell me about it hahaha
Old 11-21-2013, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by taintedred07
Long story short.
I lol'd so hard at this. That sucks but at the same time I'm pumped to see results!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using CobaltSS
Old 11-21-2013, 10:48 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Your car is an oily mess in my garage

All that txt and not a single dfwgmelite.com shoutout???? - fail

Last edited by JapEatr; 11-21-2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-21-2013, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by JapEatr
Your car is an oily mess in my garage

All that txt and not a single dfwgmelite.com shoutout???? - fail
I wanna give a shout out to dfwgmelite.com...lol

Originally Posted by Wert842
I lol'd so hard at this. That sucks but at the same time I'm pumped to see results!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using CobaltSS
lol it is a pretty funny and amusing story though so yea haha

Originally Posted by Hockeyman
First! Glad you called me at 4am to tell me about it hahaha
Lol called Vaughn, I think x3, you then matt haha

Last edited by taintedred07; 11-21-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by SPDDMN36
Nice story and build.

Can't say you're missing too much with the virgin thing except you get to 'teach' them and they tend to be more willing to try different things.
Yea, well she certainly tried a couple things for the first time that night lol
Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 PM
South Central *********

Thats better!!!
Old 11-21-2013, 11:21 PM

those hobbit farts hahahahahahaha
Old 11-21-2013, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by jp1600
those hobbit farts hahahahahahaha
They were having their lord of the rings food menu!!! LOL Every breakfast food place man destroys me about 20min later
Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 PM
South Central *********

^^^ it happened this morning too
Old 11-21-2013, 11:39 PM

^^^ it happened this morning too
Oh man, I don't think I can recover from that bathroom visit
Old 11-21-2013, 11:42 PM
South Central *********

I left Cabelas in Allen a wreck this morn!

Anyway back on topic!

Mongos built block will be paid off soon and on its way as a nice xmas project
Old 11-21-2013, 11:45 PM

I left Cabelas in Allen a wreck this morn!

Anyway back on topic!

Mongos built block will be paid off soon and on its way as a nice xmas project
Never use bathroom in cabellas....GOT IT!

Yea, a nice very much needed present, perfect timing too
Old 11-22-2013, 12:39 AM

i want a fancy motor
Old 11-22-2013, 12:45 AM

I want a fancy turbo
Old 11-22-2013, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
quite the story i guess lol sounds like a fun build
Old 11-22-2013, 12:59 AM

Oh there were long walks to disappointing asian buffets, sleeping in airports, hitchhiking in the night, and more lol
Old 11-22-2013, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by taintedred07
I want a fancy turbo
YO MOMMAS A FANCY TURBO!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
jk, she's a nice lady
Old 11-22-2013, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by jp1600
YO MOMMAS A FANCY TURBO!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
jk, she's a nice lady
You never met my momma! lol
Old 11-22-2013, 01:25 AM

stories like this make me scared to get a zfr, aha
Old 11-22-2013, 01:30 AM

Oh it was a fun turbo and I haven't heard any other blown motors with it lol I just pushed it too far
Old 11-22-2013, 01:32 AM

I think the moral of the story is don't have sex it virgins. They have no idea what they are doing or what to do lol

Hope to see this car back on the road soon. Glad my usual idea worked out for you lol they didn't have pickups there?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:41 AM

We didn't have that kind of sex :P There were no pickups available ect when I needed it
Old 11-22-2013, 02:20 AM

When do you expect to have this done? I'm hoping to finish mine early next year. Might be a good excuse to get the crews together and have a little engine showdown a la Texas GM Network

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taintedred07's Blown Motor Future Build Thread