2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Thoughts On All Intakes Currently Avaliable For the SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E-Mail From AEM

Okay everybody... my friend Mike has an SS/TC here in Houston and keeps trying to get an account on here but never can get his account okayed to post, so I'm posting his info he's been digging up for him. The following is an E-Mail reply from AEM about the current AEM intake issues:

Michael,

Some updates from R & D:
The updated pipes should cover all of the model years, a venturi was added . ETA for new pipes will follow.

There was no problem on the silicone elbow, it was more on the temporary weird surging sound during cold starts that was noticed.

Here’s the results from R & D:
We just had a Cobalt SS with the same issue. The AEM system allows much more air flow than stock so the compressor goes into surge during a point in start up when the recirculation valve is open (about 30 seconds) and causes the cyclic surge sound. The fact is that the OE elbow is restrictive in flow and keeps the TC out of surge at high idle when the recirculation valve opens. One of the things that the AEM system does is allow more flow, thus more power in the case of the turbocharged engine. We do realize that the noise is annoying are planning to do some experimenting to fully open the recirculation valve at cold start to eliminate the surge, we will keep you posted.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,
Joji Luz
AEM Tech Support
800 992 3000 X 4524
Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Stamina
Okay everybody... my friend Mike has an SS/TC here in Houston and keeps trying to get an account on here but never can get his account okayed to post, so I'm posting his info he's been digging up for him. The following is an E-Mail reply from AEM about the current AEM intake issues:

Michael,

Some updates from R & D:
The updated pipes should cover all of the model years, a venturi was added . ETA for new pipes will follow.

There was no problem on the silicone elbow, it was more on the temporary weird surging sound during cold starts that was noticed.

Here’s the results from R & D:
We just had a Cobalt SS with the same issue. The AEM system allows much more air flow than stock so the compressor goes into surge during a point in start up when the recirculation valve is open (about 30 seconds) and causes the cyclic surge sound. The fact is that the OE elbow is restrictive in flow and keeps the TC out of surge at high idle when the recirculation valve opens. One of the things that the AEM system does is allow more flow, thus more power in the case of the turbocharged engine. We do realize that the noise is annoying are planning to do some experimenting to fully open the recirculation valve at cold start to eliminate the surge, we will keep you posted.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,
Joji Luz
AEM Tech Support
800 992 3000 X 4524
BULLSHIT!!!!!!!! Lip service to the 10000th degree! The elbow causes the surge because it vibrates as the air flows through it. Those resonant vibrations disturb the incomming airflow and that chokes the compressor. Extra airflow will not cause that choke/surging. Basically what is happening at the compressor inlet is there is air/no air, air/no air, air/no air. That is why it is choking.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:54 AM

Yeah, I couldn't understand how less restriction = surging either. All the same, this is their standpoint, and I was asked to post it. The person's contact info is on there too Term...
Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just tuned a car a weekend or 2 ago that had the AEM elbow on the stock airbox, I tried to squeeze it and bend it... wasn't happening! Maybe they updated it and he has a new one, but I really don't see that elbow being an issue. He had that cold start surge, check his posts, it's now gone Wasn't the coupler that we changed either
Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terminator2
My litter box mod not acceptable Tom? LOL Works great but I think it is still getting a little wet from the fog light hole. Need to check next time I wash the car.
No litter box here to cut up! I used a piece of black foam pipe insulation stretegically trimmed to fit to cover the hole above the fog light. Made a small hat for it, cut tabs in the foam to 'plug' into the light housing & rtv'd that sucker in place. No shift in LTFT's from it and STFT's did appear a bit more stable on the highway. Should help keep the K&N cone dry. If we get a monsoon here, your litter box mod would be FTW. lol.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
I just tuned a car a weekend or 2 ago that had the AEM elbow on the stock airbox, I tried to squeeze it and bend it... wasn't happening! Maybe they updated it and he has a new one, but I really don't see that elbow being an issue. He had that cold start surge, check his posts, it's now gone Wasn't the coupler that we changed either

It does not collapse completely it vibrates as air passes into it. Even hooked to the stock airbox with the stock filter and stock MAF Tables the surging is still there. I delt with it for months. Even when the MAF tables were within 1% it still had the surging on cold starts and when letting off the throttle. Pulling timing helps a little but it is just a bandaid.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 AM

It does not collapse completely it vibrates as air passes into it. Even hooked to the stock airbox with the stock filter and stock MAF Tables the surging is still there. I delt with it for months. Even when the MAF tables were within 1% it still had the surging on cold starts and when letting off the throttle. Pulling timing helps a little but it is just a bandaid.
Curved PVC pipe ftw. jk

Hey, at least it wouldn't vibrate/collapse.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Former Vendor

This guy's car must be a fluke then..
Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 AM

This guy's car must be a fluke then..
Maybe but it takes a few key cycles for the cold start surge to come back normally. Right after a reflash it subsides.

Originally Posted by Stamina
Curved PVC pipe ftw. jk

Hey, at least it wouldn't vibrate/collapse.
Would be better than what they use now.

Last edited by Terminator2; 03-23-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-23-2010, 11:37 AM

Lulz.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Former Vendor

Maybe but it takes a few key cycles for the cold start surge to come back normally. Right after a reflash it subsides.
He PM'd me days later and has posted here that that issue has gone away..
Old 03-23-2010, 11:51 AM

He PM'd me days later and has posted here that that issue has gone away..
Maybe his is better reinforced. People have reinforced the elbow and the surging went away for them. I just got tired of messing with it.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor

He didn't add anything but I "think" he did just get it. That's why I was saying maybe its a new revision or something?? This thing was solid tho!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 PM

AEM changed the composition then, mine was far from solid. Always surged, worse when cold out.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:31 PM

I'm supposed to bring my car back to AEM soon.

They did put a venturi in it which helped big time for the fuel trims
Old 03-23-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by HB_SS/TC
I'm supposed to bring my car back to AEM soon.

They did put a venturi in it which helped big time for the fuel trims
If they would have located the MAF further from the filter it would have helped a ton as well. Oh well, my car is faster with my Hahn intake anyway.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:23 PM

Regarding compressor surge...what exactly does it sound like. Considering the size of the elbow piece on the HAHN and Injen, these most likely would not flex much under normal operation, correct? I personally have a Injen, and I can tell of a slight flutter noise when I let off the throttle after applying light throttle, but it honestly just sounds like the BPV closing like normal, but l do not hear this noise under WOT conditions. Any feedback?

Secondly, regarding air turbulence, if the MAF has a piece of FINE mesh placed/glued on the actual face of the maf, would this help with turbulence at all? Or would it be too close to really affect it? Granted if not proberly secure this could kill the turbo, but this could also help with LTFT. It would also not result in anyone cutting their intake. Just a thought...
Old 03-23-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
some flutter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VamebVaP0SI&NR=1

compressor surge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCj6Spwl1CU&feature=fvw
Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 PM

Yeh mine does not sound like the skyline at all. I think its just the BPV releasing after I press the gas...I hope. Any other signs, like boost gauge jump or anything else? I cant really distinguish the difference between flutter and usual BPV release, since it is so much louder now because of the intake. Again it only happens on very light throttle then release. Tap the gas and release then I hear the whoosh-oosh-oosh noise and its very sparatic as well. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
what about that miata? is that what it sounds like. damn I just was driving the car today and forgot to listen to it. But I wouldnt want flutter anyway....
Old 03-24-2010, 12:47 AM

I'll show you some surge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlTD-...=youtube_gdata
Old 03-24-2010, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by steven6870
Regarding compressor surge...what exactly does it sound like. Considering the size of the elbow piece on the HAHN and Injen, these most likely would not flex much under normal operation, correct? I personally have a Injen, and I can tell of a slight flutter noise when I let off the throttle after applying light throttle, but it honestly just sounds like the BPV closing like normal, but l do not hear this noise under WOT conditions. Any feedback?

Secondly, regarding air turbulence, if the MAF has a piece of FINE mesh placed/glued on the actual face of the maf, would this help with turbulence at all? Or would it be too close to really affect it? Granted if not proberly secure this could kill the turbo, but this could also help with LTFT. It would also not result in anyone cutting their intake. Just a thought...
I get that slight flutter with stock airbox. Usually in first gear, applying light throttle, and then letting off, like you do.

Mike and I are looking into the mesh idea. We got some mesh over the weekend and he fitted it yesterday. He's currently driving with it in place and waiting for somebody to log him.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:50 AM

I'll be runnin a modded HAHN intake to use with the 2871r... woot!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by HB_SS/TC

He didn't add anything but I "think" he did just get it. That's why I was saying maybe its a new revision or something?? This thing was solid tho!
Originally Posted by Iam Broke
AEM changed the composition then, mine was far from solid. Always surged, worse when cold out.
Correct. Word on the street (AEM) said that they later went to a metal ring reinforced elbow.

I think with that revision and the venturi we may have something promising.

Last edited by Stamina; 03-24-2010 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-24-2010, 01:22 AM

awsome write up dude
maybe you should take these tests and make an intake yourself dude
FTW!!

Quick Reply: Thoughts On All Intakes Currently Avaliable For the SS/TC