2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

ZFR Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZFR Intake

Do any of you fellow ZFR owners have the AEM or K&N intakes? Looking to get away from the Hahn because I am not a fan of the fitment at all.

Been searching around the forum a bit but found no threads that got right to answering my question. Something that has plenty of clearance of the AC line and for the check valve on the intake that goes to the valve cover is what I'm really looking for. Just not sure at all which will fit my needs better. lol
Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 AM

I have the k&n on mine. The bracket on the valve cover that holds the intake (bolt goes horizontally through the bracket into a welded on bung on the intake tube), I had to redrill a new hole about 3/4" down to allow it to sit nicely. The rubber coupler going onto the turbo, as you can see from searching on here, is short and will slip off with the stock worm clamps, but I just put two tbolt clamps I had laying around on it and I haven't had a problem
Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat
I have the k&n on mine. The bracket on the valve cover that holds the intake (bolt goes horizontally through the bracket into a welded on bung on the intake tube), I had to redrill a new hole about 3/4" down to allow it to sit nicely. The rubber coupler going onto the turbo, as you can see from searching on here, is short and will slip off with the stock worm clamps, but I just put two tbolt clamps I had laying around on it and I haven't had a problem
Is there any chance you could post pictures of the modifications you had to make? I'd like to see what all I would have to do before even considering buying something. If email would be a better correspondence for that then you can send pictures to SeanEE07@me.com
Old 07-23-2014, 10:38 AM

I'll get them later tonight or in the morning tomorrow, I'm headed to bed currently (work midnights). All I did was drill a 1/4" hole in a bracket and bolt it up, thats all
Old 07-23-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat
I'll get them later tonight or in the morning tomorrow, I'm headed to bed currently (work midnights). All I did was drill a 1/4" hole in a bracket and bolt it up, thats all
Whenever you get the time thanks! I'm not worried about complexity I just want a visual of what I might need to do before I go spending money on either intake.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:12 AM

i had a Hann.. .now with the K&N the ZFR sounds like a jet engine lol.. what a difference.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by r3v07ut10n
i had a Hann.. .now with the K&N the ZFR sounds like a jet engine lol.. what a difference.
Did you have to make any modifications for the intake? Any pictures so I can see fitment?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 AM

modifications of the Hahn? no it was a tight fit as it was rubbing up against the ac line on the side, but i just put a piece of rubber over it.

The K&N fit failygood, but i don't like the coupler, its too damn short, so i ordered another one, haven't put it on yet. Stock K&N is 2.5 ID x 1-3/4", i ordered a new vibrant 2.5"ID x 3", this way i can run t clamps properly.

I can post a pic later tonight, didnt drive the SS to work. Its all straight forward though.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
I use k&n, I didn't like the stock coupler cause it was to small so I made my own out of a different one I had. Work clamp holds it fine. Have to tighten it from under the car though.

Doesn't hit the ac line, the bolt and bracket it comes with prevents that

Last edited by tomj77; 07-23-2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by r3v07ut10n
modifications of the Hahn? no it was a tight fit as it was rubbing up against the ac line on the side, but i just put a piece of rubber over it.

The K&N fit failygood, but i don't like the coupler, its too damn short, so i ordered another one, haven't put it on yet. Stock K&N is 2.5 ID x 1-3/4", i ordered a new vibrant 2.5"ID x 3", this way i can run t clamps properly.

I can post a pic later tonight, didnt drive the SS to work. Its all straight forward though.
That's why I'm trying to ditch my hahn. Not a fan of how low it's sitting.

You're the second person to mention the coupler so I'll definitely keep that in mind for the K&N. Did you have to make any modifications to the intakes bracket?

Originally Posted by tomj77
I use k&n, I didn't like the stock coupler cause it was to small so I made my own out of a different one I had. Work clamp holds it fine. Have to tighten it from under the car though.

Doesn't hit the ac line, the bolt and bracket it comes with prevents that
Did you have to make any modifications to the intakes bracket? The hahn is easier to bolt to the turbo from underneath as well so that'll be nothing new to me. lol
Old 07-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SeanEE89
That's why I'm trying to ditch my hahn. Not a fan of how low it's sitting.

You're the second person to mention the coupler so I'll definitely keep that in mind for the K&N. Did you have to make any modifications to the intakes bracket?

Did you have to make any modifications to the intakes bracket? The hahn is easier to bolt to the turbo from underneath as well so that'll be nothing new to me. lol
Yes I did, I called that mod hitting the bracket with a hammer till it was lined up with the mounting point on the intake lol
Old 07-23-2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by tomj77
Yes I did, I called that mod hitting the bracket with a hammer till it was lined up with the mounting point on the intake lol
any chance you can post some pictures of the fitment?

I feel like not many have the AEM. lol
Old 07-23-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No issue here but I do need to order a wider coupler
Old 07-23-2014, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by alerosaint
No issue here but I do need to order a wider coupler
With the K&N I'm guessing?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:06 PM

sorry, yeah k&n
Old 07-23-2014, 02:54 PM

sorry, yeah k&n
Did you have to make any modifications to make it fit the ZFR?
Old 07-24-2014, 07:18 AM

I use the k&n short ram, I cut the bracket and welded it so that it would bolt onto the intake nicely. I just stuck a little piece of foam tape so the ac fitting wouldn't rub threw. so far that has been working well for me
Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 AM

Did you have to make any modifications to make it fit the ZFR?
Not really per se, I mean no modifications are necessary, you can slap it on and be good, however doing some would make for a better install. Like:

1) what some did, modifying where the intake bolt up. Instead of doing this I put vacuum caps on the studs the intake rubbed on. Attaching it back to the bracket is probably best. I need to stop being lazy

2) Getting a wider coupler for where the intake connects to the turbo inlet. The stock one is kinda narrow. I have been running that narrow one for over a year, but again I need to stop being lazy and get a wider couple to be safe.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

any chance you can post some pictures of the fitment?

I feel like not many have the AEM. lol
Ya sure. After work
Old 07-24-2014, 10:44 AM

Not really per se, I mean no modifications are necessary, you can slap it on and be good, however doing some would make for a better install. Like:

1) what some did, modifying where the intake bolt up. Instead of doing this I put vacuum caps on the studs the intake rubbed on. Attaching it back to the bracket is probably best. I need to stop being lazy

2) Getting a wider coupler for where the intake connects to the turbo inlet. The stock one is kinda narrow. I have been running that narrow one for over a year, but again I need to stop being lazy and get a wider couple to be safe.
A friend of mine suggested using a hump coupler instead of the coupler provided. I like the idea as long as the suction of the turbo doesn't create problems and cause it to collapse. I feel like it would provide the wiggle room I'd need to better position the intake. What are your thoughts on that?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Pics of k&n with zfr

here u go pics of k&n with zfr.

bracket I hammered to fit

top view to show it sits same as stock turbo

doesn't touch ac line at all, tons of room

and turbo hookup. that's my coupler I cut from stock coupler from stock intake. have 2 worm clamps on intake side, one on turbo. put second on on intake side cause there was slight space it was sucking in dust cause of the way the coupler is, that eliminated that. works good.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The Hahn intake fits great with the zfr as long as a 3" length coupler is used. Mine, and others I have setup with that combo fit flawlessly and have zero issues with rubbing the AC line.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tomjj77 fix those T-clamps...How are you even getting a seal? You're probabaly sucking in a bit of un-metered/filtered air right into the turbo lol.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Shanedude
Tomjj77 fix those T-clamps...How are you even getting a seal? You're probabaly sucking in a bit of un-metered/filtered air right into the turbo lol.
what tclamps? u mean the clamps on the intake? those are worm clamps and they are good trust me, there is 2 on the intake side and one on the turbo side. just looks weird in the pic. it is sealed. it wasn't before I put the second clamp on the intake side, was sucking in dust. I ran it like this for a while and checked and its good. also checked for it not sealing before I put intake on and its good. with the coupler I have and my intake being slightly bent from over tightening a clamp first time I put it on I now need 2 clamps. u don't need a tbolt clamp on the intake side of the turbo. that's just a waste of tbolts. lol
Old 08-03-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How much torque you use to crush a circular tube with a tbolt/worm gear. maybe it's the pic but looks crooked as hell, tighten from the bottom with an air gun? And crushed intake tube wouldn that affect the air flow right before it hits the turbo?

Quick Reply: ZFR Intake