Join Date: 12-13-05
Location: Westerville OH
Member #: 4530
'06 Cobalt SS PCM tuning results!
Congratulations to Chris Kinzer, who put down 257.3 WHP and 232.6 WTQ in his ’06 Cobalt SS last night! His car has the INTENSE Stage 3 kit and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system, along with a new INTENSE Stage 3 PCM. His fuel was 94 octane unleaded pump gas.
As I mentioned in another thread, we just completed our first twelve hours of LSJ dyno tuning sessions, and we've learned a LOT! Rob Archer of Hoosier Performance and I worked together on all the tuning, and with our combined experience we were able to make some great things happen. We’ve also had the opportunity to dyno test some GM Stage flashes, and we’re proud to have produced even better results. I was pretty pumped when I got home at 2:04 a.m., and I don't think Rob would have gotten home until almost five o-clock this morning.
The HP Tuners software is functioning quite well, and we're working with them to make it even better. The factory tune was way too rich at higher engine speeds – dropping as low as 10.0:1. Notice how much healthier and consistent the air/fuel ratio is now. Also notice how much the area under the curve has increased. There’s a solid 10 WHP and 10 WTQ gain at NEARLY EVERY POINT IN THE POWER BAND.
The INTENSE Stage 3 PCM will be intended for cars with 2.80” to 3.00” supercharger pulleys, 42 pound/hour fuel injectors, colder spark plugs with reduced gaps, and induction and exhaust mods (optional). You’ll be able to get it in three different varieties:
1. Binary File Only - If you already have or plan to order HP Tuners, INTENSE-Racing or Hoosier Performance can email you a binary file to fit your mods for $99.99. This would serve as an excellent starting point for you to begin your tuning, and can easily be loaded with the HP Tuners VCM Suite. No core charge, Security Relearn or Crankshaft Variation Learn procedures would be required in this case.
2. Mail Order PCM - If you want a mail order PCM, the cost will be $199.99 plus $200.00 core charge. You could then keep your original PCM if you like, or return it to us for a full refund of your $200.00 core charge. If you go this route, you won’t need HP Tuners, but you would be wise to purchase a scan gauge.
With a mail order PCM, you’ll need to perform the Security Relearn Procedure. This only takes a half hour, and doesn't require any special tools, Here is a link to a similar procedure to the one required for LSJ-powered vehicles: http://www.intense-racing.com/docs/05secrelearn.pdf.
With a mail order PCM , the Crankshaft Position Variation Learn procedure (commonly referred to as CASE Learn) will also be required to prevent DTC P0315 (Crankshaft Position Variation Not Learned) from triggering your Service Engine Soon light. Anyone with a Tech II (such as a GM dealership) can perform this special function for you in a couple minutes. Some discretion is necessary when asking your dealership to NOT re-flash the PCM. If they re-flash the PCM, all your special tuning will be gone and un-retrievable. Many dealers will perform the Crankshaft Position Variation Learn procedure for free, while others may charge a modest fee.
By the way, we plan to change our Stage 3 kit a little, and offer the PCM in place of the MAF Translator. If you already have a MAF Translator and want a PCM, you can either remove the MAF Translator with the settings changed to 0-0, or you can leave it installed for fine tuning and tuneability for other mods such as aftermarket cold air intake systems.
3. Custom Dyno Tune – This is the ultimate way to get the best possible tune, especially for more modded vehicles. No core charge, Security Relearn or Crankshaft Variation Learn procedures would be required in this case. We would tune your cars hands-on at our facility in Plain City, Ohio (INTENSE) or Indianapolis, Indiana (Hoosier). Custom dyno tunes can get quite expensive, and average ~ $375.
We always use the latest calibration files available from G.M. as the starting points for our tunes. The latest information is available at this link: http://calid.gm.com
In case anyone is curious about our tuning capabilities, our tunes currently hold the highest horsepower 3800 N/A dyno record, the 3800 M90 supercharged dyno record and 3800 turbo dyno record. We’re not just good dyno queens either. Some of our 2005 tunes include:
1. World's fastest FWD Grand Prix (9.64 @ 146 MPH)
2. World's fastest FWD Bonneville (10.71 @ 125 MPH)
3. World's fastest FWD Regal (11.51 @ 114 MPH)
4. World's fastest 2004 Impala (11.99 @ 113 MPH)
Also, here is a link to testimonials from a few hundred of our current PCM customers: http://www.intense-racing.com/testimonial.html#PCM
p.s. - we'd like to give special thanks to Mike Vanderhorst, Chris Kinzer, John Harbert and Dan Testa for donating their cars and time to this project, and for driving all the hours they did. Howard and Brian Turner of Dyno Tune Motorsports are always great to work with, so props to them too!
p.p.s. – sorry to repeat the above spam, but we want to try and answer as many FAQ’s as possible