2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Budget build/rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget build/rebuild

I really am new to the lsj platform, although I've read a lot before, nothing will compare to trial and error, and advice from those who know best.

I purchased my 07 ssSc for a measley 2000 dollars with 50k miles and a clean, clear title. All the original parts, including suspension, except exhaust DP back.

Aftermarket parts included with my purchase:
2.8 pulley/belt
60# injectors
Injen intake
Eibach lowering kit(installed)
Upgraded gmpp clutch

As far as I know, the #4 piston went twice, the stock piston burned through @34k and then the diamond piston @50k. No head work has been done whatsoever since he bought the car new, which in my mind is what I blame for the diamond piston crumbling. Or from the increased iats from the supercharger...idk The m62 has a 2.8 pulley on it and 60# injectors were on it also, no cooling mods were ever installed. He did get his PCM tuned (don't know by who), but he never ran a wideband in his car to know how it was acting. I just remember massive amounts of blowby when it was running, and a lot of misfire. I do remember his tune shutting the engine down when he hit redline of 7k...

That's all the memories I want to leave behind. I plan on resurrecting this car, but I don't want the car to end up like it is right now, so I'm asking for opinions and advice from those who know these cars well.

GOAL -260whp w/no cels
BUDGET-$6000 including car

I'm not in this to flip the car for $, but this car should be reliable, get good gas mileage, and be nice enough that I'm not trying to sell it to a ricer kid, as mods turn away a lot of buyers and hurt resale.

Please chime in.

The first question I have is whether I should look for a used engine, resleeve the block or #4 cylinder, or worst case, buy a shortblock. Remember I do have all the engine parts from the original lsj.

Thank you all for any input.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were you I'd shoot for the GM stage 3 like me..Youll hit that mark with exhaust, intake etc like I have and stil be reliable!
Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
lack of a valve job will not cause a slug to fry that is more then likely from a **** tune or could have been an air leak I would resleeve the block so you can setup the right piston to wall clearances run a set of file to fit total seal rings a set of molnar rods get a good valve job valve springs are not needed unless your going to di a cam swap then I would get a set of cams ground that will work with the limits of stock springs a set of gm bearings will do fine
Old 12-01-2014, 08:00 AM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
That tune along with not using a wideband for adjusting AFR is what made the #4 blow.

When you're destroying Diamond pistons then you know something's not right...

Good luck with the build.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:16 AM

You have a decent budget to work with. I assume you want to stick with the M62?

If I bought the car as you did I'd personally ditch the M62 along with the 60lb injectors and that 2.8 pulley and look for a TVS with a 3.0 or 2.9 pulley and 80lb injectors.

I'm not sure what type of damage may have been caused to the block or sleeves as a result of 4 popping twice but I'd have it looked at before making any final decisions. At a minimum though I'd plan to resleeve the block. New pistons and rods. Make sure the valves are good. Keep the head as close to stock if not fully stock IMHO as you're not looking to go for bigger power numbers.

Going this route will put you at the top end of your monetary limit you've set but will give you room to grow if you get the bug. Plus you'll be beyond the 260hp range. With supporting mods and a tune from someone who knows a thing or two, you're looking at a 300hp mark. But don't be a numbers chaser. Dyno mean zilch... To me anyways.

I ran a TVS with supporting mods on a 3.0 pulley from around 76k miles to about 112k miles with NO issues. Though I was fortunate enough to have been tuned by one of the best.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
You can get 260whp with GM Stage 2 and a good tune. **** my car bone stock put down 220whp lol
Old 12-01-2014, 08:45 AM

I'm on the fence about ditching the m62, going the TVS route is something I can easily do later after getting it running in upgraded stock form right, (that sc will cost more than the car LOL)? I really like the trifecta m62 gmrp3 tune also, from the threads I've read so far.

And does anyone know about what it will cost to get the block resleeved?
Old 12-01-2014, 08:52 AM

I don't know anything about that specific trifecta tune. And before I get blasted for bashing, I'm sure there are many who have had great success with trifecta but I personally wouldn't have anything to do with trifecta. I know of too many engines going boom using trifecta. With the LNF anyways but that's enough to make me steer clear no matter what.

Some members may remember this guy. But I was fortunate enough to have some assistance from Area 47 when tuning my old TVS. And let me say... Jesus take the wheel.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
Hit up Mongorat for a gen 3 forged LSJ. Should run you about 2.2k. Ship your head to LSJion for porting and a valve job. Should run around $500. New gaskets, head bolts, timing kit, etc. and you'll have a brand new built motor for about 3.3k. Spend 2-300 and get a REAL and GOOD tune on the m62 and 60's you already have. If you do not have a wideband, get one.

The above will be a solid platform and a good motor for the future. If you know you are never going to shoot for huge power, find or pick up a stock LSJ rebuild and spend less. But the above can easily get you 300whp on the m62 with the right tuner safely and reliably.

Originally Posted by G85 SS
I don't know anything about that specific trifecta tune. And before I get blasted for bashing, I'm sure there are many who have had great success with trifecta but I personally wouldn't have anything to do with trifecta. I know of too many engines going boom using trifecta. With the LNF anyways but that's enough to make me steer clear no matter what.

Some members may remember this guy. But I was fortunate enough to have some assistance from Area 47 when tuning my old TVS. And let me say... Jesus take the wheel.
Trifecta on the LSJ is WORSE because Vince tunes it off of the narrowband o2!

Last edited by blueLNFftw; 12-01-2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-01-2014, 09:39 AM

I'll have to dig through my parts from my old Saturn sc2 n20 daily lol, I think I have an aem wideband somewhere. But I think you guys have me steering the right direction. If I don't but a block, My gfs uncle, Dennis Bailey, owns bb&t racing in Southaven, MS, but you'll only hear of them in stang forums and magazines. Unless you've seen him flip the red cobra on the 1/8 mile on YouTube. I think his shop is reputable enough to handle the rotating assembly and sleeves, although i most likely will send the head to somebody with lsj experience.

And should I check out the supercharger, or is it safe to assume it's ok since it has only 50k miles?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:11 AM

Blower should be fine. 50k on one is nothing.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by BoostedLemonPie
I'll have to dig through my parts from my old Saturn sc2 n20 daily lol, I think I have an aem wideband somewhere. But I think you guys have me steering the right direction. If I don't but a block, My gfs uncle, Dennis Bailey, owns bb&t racing in Southaven, MS, but you'll only hear of them in stang forums and magazines. Unless you've seen him flip the red cobra on the 1/8 mile on YouTube. I think his shop is reputable enough to handle the rotating assembly and sleeves, although i most likely will send the head to somebody with lsj experience.

And should I check out the supercharger, or is it safe to assume it's ok since it has only 50k miles?
Where on sixthsphere>?
Old 12-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackSSstg2
Hit up Mongorat for a gen 3 forged LSJ. Should run you about 2.2k. Ship your head to LSJion for porting and a valve job. Should run around $500. New gaskets, head bolts, timing kit, etc. and you'll have a brand new built motor for about 3.3k. Spend 2-300 and get a REAL and GOOD tune on the m62 and 60's you already have. If you do not have a wideband, get one.

The above will be a solid platform and a good motor for the future. If you know you are never going to shoot for huge power, find or pick up a stock LSJ rebuild and spend less. But the above can easily get you 300whp on the m62 with the right tuner safely and reliably.

Trifecta on the LSJ is WORSE because Vince tunes it off of the narrowband o2!
a gen3 block is not an lsj its a gen3 block
Old 12-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Where on sixthsphere>?
I was on there but I never posted pics or build thread, my 01 was not worthy, just fun and cheap. I has the wideband for use with a wet kit and no tune. Stupid cheap fun. This car on the other hand, has aftermarket support, which I'm truly grateful for.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:42 AM

I was on there but I never posted pics or build thread, my 01 was not worthy, just fun and cheap. I has the wideband for use with a wet kit and no tune. Stupid cheap fun. This car on the other hand, has aftermarket support, which I'm truly grateful for.
Name?
I had a few sc2 on spray and boost throughout the years lol
Old 12-01-2014, 01:31 PM

It's been 2 years or better since I've signed In.and I didn't hardly ever get on, maybe silversaturn01, I can't remember honestly. I can blame Saturn for my love of timing chain vs belt, after a bad exp with a 4g63 1st gen dsm.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Those s-cars have next to no after market support.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by goaliemo
Those s-cars have next to no after market support.
Yup.
Doesnt mean we didnt fabricate and find solutions from other cars that work well.

For example.
A throttle body from a Geo Storm GSi is more than 10mm bigger than the S-series TB and is a direct bolt on part. Can be had for like $10 in a JY.

Or how WRX coil overs fit with some custom built top hats that get made for like $80.
Or neon coils that are bolt on with a few holes drilled.

Even with no support, you can still find ways to get lower and go faster.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:49 PM

I drive mine till the wheel fell off, literally. Something happened with the hub centric ring passenger front on my new wheels, broke the lug studs while I was cruising the interstate. Towed it home on a rollback, stripped the car of mods and sold for 800 bucks. I'll call it a win. Over 500 clutch drops on that mp3 trans!
Old 12-01-2014, 01:53 PM

I drive mine till the wheel fell off, literally. Something happened with the hub centric ring passenger front on my new wheels, broke the lug studs while I was cruising the interstate. Towed it home on a rollback, stripped the car of mods and sold for 800 bucks. I'll call it a win. Over 500 clutch drops on that mp3 trans!
I welded my diff after number two and it held up great. 3 cars and 500k on that trans; it was beast.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I welded my diff after number two and it held up great. 3 cars and 500k on that trans; it was beast.
I went through 4 MP3's (one of them wasn't even mine!) in 3 years... that was one hell of a tranny you had there!
Old 12-01-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Viperoni
I went through 4 MP3's (one of them wasn't even mine!) in 3 years... that was one hell of a tranny you had there!
It really was, I was impressed.
It came from a 91 that had 250k on it and a blown engine, it was the only manual trans in the yard. We had to cut off some weird hump on the case that worked only for the 91, tore it down, cleaned the magnets, and welded the pin in my buddy's garage. It went another 250k before my last s-series was totaled and I sold the shell to Aeroblue (ryan). As far as I know, he put that trans in his wife's daily and it is still going.....
Old 12-01-2014, 04:32 PM

I hope my ss trans can take a whoopin like that. Where should I look to see if the trans has a LSD?
Old 12-01-2014, 04:34 PM

Trans tag on top of it. It will say LSD.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the info, right now the only thing bolted to the trans is the block, so I don't think I have much more work to do to get it out.

If I go the new block route and I reuse the m62 and supporting parts on a gen3, does my torn apart lsj engine have any worth?

Quick Reply: Budget build/rebuild