2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Camshaft questions/ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camshaft questions/ideas

So, I'm a week away from being able to purchase a set of Comp Cams from Summit or TurboTech but I still have a few things holding me up.

First off, some contradictory information that I need to get cleared up. Comp, who manufactures the cams I want to buy, states their Xtreme Energy cams will work in both a 2.2 and 2.0 eco. If you've ever seen the difference between the two cams in the engines, you'll notice that the exhaust cam in the 2.2 is shorter than the intake while the LSJ, they're equal longer length. Pretty much everyone has speculated that the two are not interchangable because of the LSJ cam sensor positioning.

Now, GM has released a cam info sheet here and states the 2006 model year 2.2 and the 2006 model year 2.0 are indeed interchangable as far as cams go. However if you read at the bottom, it states the GMPP race cams are 2.2 spec and will physically fit the LSJ, but won't work with the cam sensor. WTF!?

So I guess my question is, are the Comp Cams equal length, and if they're not, is the cam position sensor mounted to the intake cam or the exhaust cam? Would it make a difference if the exhaust cam is indeed shorter, would it still be usable in the LSJ?

Anyone have Comp Cams that care to enlighten me?

Last edited by Witt; 01-21-2007 at 05:14 AM. Reason: More info found, corrected inaccuracies
Old 01-20-2007, 06:19 PM

I'm pretty sure that those cams are not interchangeable, but I'm not 100% sure. Take a look at the link in my sig., JBP is having a Group Buy on their Tri-Flow cams. The price has been reduced dramatically, they are currently cheaper than the Comp Cams I believe.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Doc

this might help....maybe, maybe not

http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersou...INFO_SHEET.pdf
Old 01-20-2007, 06:44 PM

Yeah Doc, thats the sheet I linked in my post I think. Even GM contradicts themselves in saying the 2.2 and 2.0 are interchangable but the 2.2 race is not. Comp is saying their cams will work in both and their resellers are saying they wont. So much misinformation.

I have a feeling I get to be a guinea pig next week. I can't resist the temptation to buy those Stage 3 street/strip cams - 222/224@.050 ftmfw. As far as the jbp ones, they're too mild of a grind for me and I'm not up for stroking lash adjusters.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Doc

duh....I missed the link..
Old 01-20-2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by DTM2188
I'm pretty sure that those cams are not interchangeable, but I'm not 100% sure. Take a look at the link in my sig., JBP is having a Group Buy on their Tri-Flow cams. The price has been reduced dramatically, they are currently cheaper than the Comp Cams I believe.

Here what i dont understand...why is everyone lining up to buy em with no proof of actual claims...aka...dynos? Last I checked their 2.4 results were lackluster...2hp at best.

And Al..I believe in teh cam sheet it only says the exhaust cams are swapable between the 2.2 and LSJ

Dan
Old 01-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by djt81185
Here what i dont understand...why is everyone lining up to buy em with no proof of actual claims...aka...dynos? Last I checked their 2.4 results were lackluster...2hp at best.

And Al..I believe in teh cam sheet it only says the exhaust cams are swapable between the 2.2 and LSJ

Dan
Nah, it says both are.

Me thinks I'm pulling the cam cover off tomorrow and taking a look.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Listening to thread cause I'm not 100% on this either...
Old 01-20-2007, 09:26 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
I was going to buy the comp cams months ago. Until WOP told me that they were for the 2.2 only. I phoned Comp to clarify this because Comp's catalogue said they had 2.0 cams. Well they don't and if you want to get a set custom made you will wait 6 weeks for Comp to get around to it.
As far as JBP cams (which I am using) I am sure you can get Mev to do a grind to suit your needs.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:12 AM

Small update...Called Comp and they're under the assumption that the cam sensor that runs off the exhaust cam is internal to the cam, I tried explaining that it isn't and they said I have 2 options basically. One...send them pictures of my stock cams so they can verify their blanks are the same or two...buy their cams anyway and hope for the best but they would be non returnable.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Witt
Small update...Called Comp and they're under the assumption that the cam sensor that runs off the exhaust cam is internal to the cam, I tried explaining that it isn't and they said I have 2 options basically. One...send them pictures of my stock cams so they can verify their blanks are the same or two...buy their cams anyway and hope for the best but they would be non returnable.
Damn. Well that officially sucks...
Old 01-24-2007, 04:05 PM

OK, another update, got a hold of GM's drawings of the stock cams and sent those to Comp. They are saying they didn't recieve them and now they are telling me that some flange near where the hex drive is on the end of the cams are different. The drawing shows clearly otherwise and this is getting frustrating.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:24 PM

OK, another update, got a hold of GM's drawings of the stock cams and sent those to Comp. They are saying they didn't recieve them and now they are telling me that some flange near where the hex drive is on the end of the cams are different. The drawing shows clearly otherwise and this is getting frustrating.
Where did you get said drawing? If you say Dan, I am going to kick his ass!!!

PS)I have NOOOO clue where Dan would get said drawing is he even did have them in the 1st place by the way.....
Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 PM

The comps exhaust is shorter I have seen the set. The cam drive is on our exhaust cam. Our cams are the same length. You cant use the 2.2 cam casue its to short as already stated to run the cam sensor. Get some blanks and have some ground for you. There are many shops out that that can do it and cost isnt really all that expensive to have a set made for you.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by NoRemorse
Where did you get said drawing? If you say Dan, I am going to kick his ass!!!

PS)I have NOOOO clue where Dan would get said drawing is he even did have them in the 1st place by the way.....
I do not recall.

Originally Posted by DWK5150
The comps exhaust is shorter I have seen the set. The cam drive is on our exhaust cam. Our cams are the same length. You cant use the 2.2 cam casue its to short as already stated to run the cam sensor. Get some blanks and have some ground for you. There are many shops out that that can do it and cost isnt really all that expensive to have a set made for you.
Comp has told me their exhaust is shorter, what they are arguing with me about is the fact that I can't use an intake blank as an exhaust blank.

I have a feeling by the end of the week, I'm going to tell them to just make the damn thigns and I promise I won't return them.

Last edited by Witt; 01-24-2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-26-2007, 03:13 PM

Can anyone with a 2.2 verify if their intake cam has a 6 point hex drive in the end of their cam? Would help out tremendously.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by NoRemorse
Get the part number of the 2.2 intake cam, and I can pull up that info for you.
You are the man. Lemme find it.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:17 PM

Can anyone with a 2.2 verify if their intake cam has a 6 point hex drive in the end of their cam? Would help out tremendously.
Get the part number of the 2.2 intake cam, and I can pull up that info for you. It should be in the ECOTEC build book.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:20 PM

88958611 for the intake blank, but thats a gmpp part, still looking for the stock oem grind.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:23 PM

this is why im not in the group by... i want to see specs of these "mystery cams"... for all i know it is gonna be specs geared toward NA and not FI
Old 01-26-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No hex drive on the 2005 L61 intake. The drive pad is still there, but when take the cover off you can see the end of the intake cam and it has no drive connection.

Here's a question I haven't been able to answer. According to that new GM cam spec sheet that is linked above, it discusses how the LSJ cam and L61 cam (through 2006) are identical except for the timing. I have the GMPP adjustable cam gears, so I could twist my L61's to match the LSJ's once I have forced induction to reduce the valve overlap. Here's the question:

That sheet says the LSJ intake cam peak lift is at 100° ATDC intake with a duration of 196.5°, and the exhaust peak lift is at -115° BTDC exhaust with 191.7° duration. If you do the math, you see that the exhaust closes at 19.15° BEFORE TDC exhaust and the intake opens at 1.75° AFTER TDC intake, meaning there is more the 20° of NO overlap.

I know that has to be wrong. Somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong because it has been bugging me ever since that damn spec sheet came out.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
No hex drive on the 2005 L61 intake. The drive pad is still there, but when take the cover off you can see the end of the intake cam and it has no drive connection.

Here's a question I haven't been able to answer. According to that new GM cam spec sheet that is linked above, it discusses how the LSJ cam and L61 cam (through 2006) are identical except for the timing. I have the GMPP adjustable cam gears, so I could twist my L61's to match the LSJ's once I have forced induction to reduce the valve overlap. Here's the question:

That sheet says the LSJ intake cam peak lift is at 100° ATDC intake with a duration of 196.5°, and the exhaust peak lift is at -115° BTDC exhaust with 191.7° duration. If you do the math, you see that the exhaust closes at 19.15° BEFORE TDC exhaust and the intake opens at 1.75° AFTER TDC intake, meaning there is more the 20° of NO overlap.

I know that has to be wrong. Somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong because it has been bugging me ever since that damn spec sheet came out.

I agree with the no overlap, I used one of those cam calculators off a website and plugged the values in and it came up with -15 degrees of overlap for the LSJ cam. Same deal with the jbp regrind.

As far as OEM 2.2 intake cam part number, dealer says its 90537667

My big question is whether or not Comp's intake blanks have the hex drive built in or not. They're starting to get sick of me calling.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:08 PM

A good machine shop should be able to put the hex in there if it isnt already there.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Witt, you seriously believe that this engine has no valve overlap? I have never heard of an engine that works that way. You wouldn't get good scavenging.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Acidangel_5.0
this is why im not in the group by... i want to see specs of these "mystery cams"... for all i know it is gonna be specs geared toward NA and not FI
You sir, are a wise man.

Hey, I got a car I want to sell you. I can't tell you the year make or model, but it's only $10,000 and it's really nice. Do you want to buy it?

You need more than the opening, closing, lift, duration and lobe center specs to duplicate a cam, you need the lobe profile. If anyone really wanted to copy one they would just buy it and spec it out. But you do need this info to determine suitability for a particular application.

I can't possibly believe that anyone is buying them without the specs.

Maybe it's just me?

Quick Reply: Camshaft questions/ideas