2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Heat Exchanger Dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Heat Exchanger Dimensions

Hey everyone

Does anyone have a heat exchanger for the cobalt kicking around they could pull a couple dimensions off for me?

Over the weekend I got a steal of a deal on a new in box ZZP heat exchanger. I'm in Canada, even after my gas for the 7 hour round trip I saved $150-200 if you factor in shipping exchange and the brutal duty I would have to pay. By the time I order it from their site it would be over $400 canadian, I'm into this one for about $225 with fuel.

At any rate, it was advertised on kijiji as the one for the cobalt, however when I got there it turned out to be the one for the ION. I bought it anyway.
I'm just going to move the tabs to where they need to be, but I need to know where to put them. I'm a welder/fitter by trade, so its something I can do easily.
I contacted ZZP, they were no help, basically told me to test fit to figure it out for myself because they are all made in a jig and they have no way of getting the measurements. I guess they don't have a measuring tape in their shop.

Here are the measurements I would require
Front (horizontal tabs)
- Hole center to center measurement of the tabs
- If they aren't centered on the HE I would need to know how far in from the face of the inlet/outlet side they are as well.
Rear (vertical tabs)
- Hole center to center measurement for the vertical tabs off the back.
- For these ones I will require the dimension for how far from the top of the HE that the holes start in the tabs.
- As with the front tabs, if these ones are not centered I would need the measurement to the first tab from the face of the inlet/outlet end.
- For these tabs from the pics I have seen, it appears the tabs stand off the back about 1/4", so confirmation of that would be great too

Also, while on the IC topic, does anyone that has done the install of the HE with Dual pass and option b have an estimate of how much 3/4" hose is used in the entire system? I'm going to buy some SS braided line from summit before I do the install. comes in 6' pieces.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i actually DO have a measuring tape, but if i measure it with that, and it is welded even 1/8" off, or if we measure using a different 'edge' etc etc, the holes wont line up. there is too much open for intrepretation with me trying to describe dimensions, vs you just fitting it up..... it would be best to cut the tabs off, bolt them to the car, then hold up the heat exchanger with a jack until it is centered, and tack the tabs back on. that way you KNOW everything lines up perfectly. we arent trying to be difficult, we are trying to make it MUCH easier for you, so you dont have to cut the tabs off a 2nd time, or oval the holes out etc.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:52 PM

The problem with doing that, is I have to do the work at work, where I can't fit it to the car, and I can't do anything at home because I don't have aluminum welding equipment at home.

Interpretation is why I asked for hole center measurements as well as a measurement to the end if they are off center. Center to center dimensions on the holes can't be messed up your 1/16 of an inch, and my 1/16 of an inch, are the same. I work within 1/16" on most jobs, sometimes 1mm accuracy. When I do Autocad drawing I'm spot on.
If I'm 1/16 or an 1/8th, hell if I'm 3/16" out on one of the holes I can open up both hole 3/32" more, slap a washer on it and call it a day.
The company that makes the product in the first place should be able to get me real close.

How about this, to get rid of any interpretation, I've done a rudimentary drawing in AutoCAD.

A-
B-
C-
D-
E-
F-

6 Dimensions and if I can't get it to fit on the first try, I should look for a new line of work.

If you'd rather PM them to me, feel free, otherwise I'm sure someone else here can get them for me.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:15 PM

can you email this to me? ill get you some dimensions. steve@ZZPerformance.com
The following users liked this post:
SS_MuNky (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 04:33 PM

Sent
Thanks Steve!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:36 PM

NP man. typically i dont like to give dimensions and other things of this nature out, as it gets messy quick. the majority of people do not have much for fabrication skills, and it turns into "well ZZP told me xxx and it didnt work so they suck" ......you clearly know what you are doing, so i have no problem going the lil extra to help
Old 01-16-2017, 04:44 PM

I get it, I've seen some other peoples work.

I'm used to the boss drawing something on the hood of his truck then driving away, leaving me to remember what he said to do all the while thinking about the scratches in his paint. (yes, this happened on more than one occasion)

I've studied Architecture, Millwrighting and Welding to get to the level I'm at. I see people come through our shop all the time that have fabrication skills more suited to a toddler. But with my range of training with making and reading drawings in architecture, then the millwrighting and welding to put the drawings to use, I consider myself a very competent fabricator.