2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

HP tuning ?'s

Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HP tuning ?'s

05 cobalt ss/sc
injen intake only performance mod
42 lb injectors (not installed)
want to do more mods...stage 2 full exhaust

I'm seriously thinking about getting hp tuners. I know knowledge is power and I've been addicted to reading information on their forum.

If I get the software I need an a/f gauge? I'm assuming yes

If I get the software and only want to tune my ss, I can do that an unlimited amount of times? or does it take a credit/s every time I write to the PCM?...

If I get the software and only install the injectors with the intake, is it worth tuning after every time I add a mod, say eventually add an exhaust system.

...I'll start off with these
Old 04-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by AuhsoJ007
05 cobalt ss/sc
injen intake only performance mod
42 lb injectors (not installed)
want to do more mods...stage 2 full exhaust

I'm seriously thinking about getting hp tuners. I know knowledge is power and I've been addicted to reading information on their forum.

If I get the software I need an a/f gauge? I'm assuming yes
Your better off. It would be really hard to dial anything in without one.

If I get the software and only want to tune my ss, I can do that an unlimited amount of times? or does it take a credit/s every time I write to the PCM?...
you can flash an unlimited number of times once you unlock the vin. it is 2 credits per vin.
If I get the software and only install the injectors with the intake, is it worth tuning after every time I add a mod, say eventually add an exhaust system.
Once you have dialed the tune in, you can get away without touching it for an exhaust. If you change up injectors / pulleys, you will have to retune.

...I'll start off with these
I am still new to the whole tuning thing, but the above answers should help you out. Good luck with it, the software is a lot to take in all at once.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 PM

yea nvmycobalt. said it well.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by NVMYCOBALTSS
I am still new to the whole tuning thing, but the above answers should help you out. Good luck with it, the software is a lot to take in all at once.
Thanks for the help...I really want to get the software because I know I'd get my money's worth even if it was over time...

a couple more questions. I understand there is a professional version and standard. basically the professional ties the a/f into the actual program. but from my understanding you can tune the same even if the a/f gauge is seperate. basically there is no difference between the pro and standard versions? each of them can do the same things? edit all the same parameters?

also i don't want to sound dumb but installing a wideband is as simple as plugging the 02 sensor you get with it in and thats essentially it? any wires to splice or is it all plug and play/straight forward.

I appreciate the help.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:43 PM

if your gonna get bigger injectors you might as well get a smaller pulley too
Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tarheel62592
if your gonna get bigger injectors you might as well get a smaller pulley too
I plan on it
Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the help...I really want to get the software because I know I'd get my money's worth even if it was over time...

a couple more questions. I understand there is a professional version and standard. basically the professional ties the a/f into the actual program. but from my understanding you can tune the same even if the a/f gauge is seperate. basically there is no difference between the pro and standard versions? each of them can do the same things? edit all the same parameters?

also i don't want to sound dumb but installing a wideband is as simple as plugging the 02 sensor you get with it in and thats essentially it? any wires to splice or is it all plug and play/straight forward.

I appreciate the help.
There are two main differences between the pro and standard. 1st being that you can datalog with the pro and not have a laptop hooked up. 2nd being that there are 5v inputs on the pro that would allow for additional gauges to feed a signal into the scanner part. (wide band, egt, fuel pressure. Literally any gauge with a 5v output.) In my opinion, it is worth the extra money to have the pro version. As far as the software, it is the same.

As for the wideband, depending on which brand you get, they are pretty simple to install. The exhaust downpipe needs to have an extra 02 bung welded in. I think the most common spot is about 6 inches from the collector. Then it is just a matter of running the positive wire to an acc source and then running a ground, feeding the signal wires through the firewall and routing them so that they do not get too close to the exhaust, then figuring out where you want to mount the gauge. It sounds like a lot, but it really only takes about 30 minutes. As for splicing, I used the little blue wire bridge clips. It makes it pretty clean and you don't have to cut any wires.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 PM

There are two main differences between the pro and standard. 1st being that you can datalog with the pro and not have a laptop hooked up. 2nd being that there are 5v inputs on the pro that would allow for additional gauges to feed a signal into the scanner part. (wide band, egt, fuel pressure. Literally any gauge with a 5v output.) In my opinion, it is worth the extra money to have the pro version. As far as the software, it is the same.

As for the wideband, depending on which brand you get, they are pretty simple to install. The exhaust downpipe needs to have an extra 02 bung welded in. I think the most common spot is about 6 inches from the collector. Then it is just a matter of running the positive wire to an acc source and then running a ground, feeding the signal wires through the firewall and routing them so that they do not get too close to the exhaust, then figuring out where you want to mount the gauge. It sounds like a lot, but it really only takes about 30 minutes. As for splicing, I used the little blue wire bridge clips. It makes it pretty clean and you don't have to cut any wires.
yea. It makes more sense to get the pro but I seem to be leaning towards the standard version.

the wideband seems pretty easy to install. thanks for the help!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:20 PM

i recommand james, his name is on my sig.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your trying to buy hpt yourself and tune good luck. Its not just something you plug into your car a magically it setup correct. There are Tables, Custom Pids, Gauges,Histograms that all need to be correctly setup. A LSJ vs LNF setup would monitor some differences.

There is a good amount of info online and on the forum but good luck finding an exact answer.

BYT and some other reputable tuners have guides out there on VE/MAF/AFR tuning. These guides are spot on but will only work if you are correctly setup.

I bought mine roughly 6 months ago and am still learning on the software. Loading a reading tunes is no issue for any newb on this software but the rest of it is not that easy.
Having someone teach you how to use the software would be ideal but finding someone willing to share info is slightly harder.

Should you get it, hell yes one of the best investments i have made with the car. Its nice to be able to send logs to your tuner and have him send you an update you can load in roughly 48 seconds.

You get 8 credits with the software, i decided to unlock the 06 year with 6 credits. This means i can write to any 06 year. I had two leftover and helped out a fellow member to load his canned tune.

You dont need an afr gauge but would be ideal if you want to tune your afr. Could still adjust a few tables without it.

As for you getting the software and tuning the new setup is not going to happen. Sorry

Standard version is all you need.

These are just my two cents take it for what its worth.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ULWiz Cobalt SS/SC
If your trying to buy hpt yourself and tune good luck. Its not just something you plug into your car a magically it setup correct. There are Tables, Custom Pids, Gauges,Histograms that all need to be correctly setup. A LSJ vs LNF setup would monitor some differences.

There is a good amount of info online and on the forum but good luck finding an exact answer.

BYT and some other reputable tuners have guides out there on VE/MAF/AFR tuning. These guides are spot on but will only work if you are correctly setup.

I bought mine roughly 6 months ago and am still learning on the software. Loading a reading tunes is no issue for any newb on this software but the rest of it is not that easy.
Having someone teach you how to use the software would be ideal but finding someone willing to share info is slightly harder.

Should you get it, hell yes one of the best investments i have made with the car. Its nice to be able to send logs to your tuner and have him send you an update you can load in roughly 48 seconds.

You get 8 credits with the software, i decided to unlock the 06 year with 6 credits. This means i can write to any 06 year. I had two leftover and helped out a fellow member to load his canned tune.

You dont need an afr gauge but would be ideal if you want to tune your afr. Could still adjust a few tables without it.

As for you getting the software and tuning the new setup is not going to happen. Sorry

Standard version is all you need.

These are just my two cents take it for what its worth.

I appreciate your two cents. after that I can't help but feel a little discouraged.

I understand its no easy task and even after having the software you probably never stop learning.
You started to explain the setup process and from my understanding that seems to be the hard part? I wish there was a way to somply explain the setup process but I feel like thats probably an impossible task.

in the end it'd still be nice like you said to have and log than send it to a tuner. but I'd still like to learn how to do it.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 PM

The config file isn't too bad to set up as long as you understand what it is asking for. I had the most problems with setting up the Boost PID and adjusting for the correct barometric pressure for my elevation. At the end of the day, it is worth the investment. James is very knowledgeable and overly helpful. Most tuners are not that helpful for fear of giving away their "Secret" to their tune. That is more with the local tuner shops around here though.

The standard version will get you started and if you decide to upgrade to the pro, you can for a little bit more. I do prefer the pro because of the AFR input into the datalog feature. It makes dialing in the MAF much easier. VE tuning is easier as well in my opinion.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:12 PM

The config file isn't too bad to set up as long as you understand what it is asking for. I had the most problems with setting up the Boost PID and adjusting for the correct barometric pressure for my elevation. At the end of the day, it is worth the investment. James is very knowledgeable and overly helpful. Most tuners are not that helpful for fear of giving away their "Secret" to their tune. That is more with the local tuner shops around here though.

The standard version will get you started and if you decide to upgrade to the pro, you can for a little bit more. I do prefer the pro because of the AFR input into the datalog feature. It makes dialing in the MAF much easier. VE tuning is easier as well in my opinion.
thanks for the help...I guess what it really comes down to is to keep learning. I'm trying to learn but its hard to learn it with out doing it.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:23 PM

If you know how most of the sensors work on an engine and can figure out the corresponding tables in hptuners it is actually pretty straight forward to tune a car. Typically I have found that the bulk of tuning is quite easy but in the case where you get some odd idling or very small issues that are hard to pick up with the scanner but you can easily feel while driving are the ones harder to tune. If you understand how a MAF works and the various other sensors that the engine uses to determine afr and other things like that then you will be fine. I would recommend getting the pro version and also when you first start off tuning make small adjustments and take your time with it.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Red05SS/SC
If you know how most of the sensors work on an engine and can figure out the corresponding tables in hptuners it is actually pretty straight forward to tune a car. Typically I have found that the bulk of tuning is quite easy but in the case where you get some odd idling or very small issues that are hard to pick up with the scanner but you can easily feel while driving are the ones harder to tune. If you understand how a MAF works and the various other sensors that the engine uses to determine afr and other things like that then you will be fine. I would recommend getting the pro version and also when you first start off tuning make small adjustments and take your time with it.
Exactly, Chood711 and I have been working on our tunes for the better part of a year. One other thing to note, when you are data logging / making tweaks to the tune, make sure that you are doing it during the same relative temperature. (IE, summer vs. winter)
Old 04-30-2011, 02:11 PM

^^ the summer winter thing doesn't matter. The MAF takes into consideration temperature and altitude.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:36 PM

That is true, although I thought it mattered when tuning the VE and PE tables. I could be wrong. still very new to all of it.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 AM

I'm not 100% sure but about the VE but for PE it doesn't matter. There is a barometric pressure sensor by the end of the fuel rail and the MAP sensor has a built in IAT sensor I just don't know if our VE table takes into consideration those two factors. On my tune as well as some other LSJ's that I have tuned I typically run only MAF above like 3000 rpm. Using the VE for idle and light cruising seems to help with part throttle tuning.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:32 AM

If your going to do this do it right and get the pro level. Buy a wideband that has a 0-5v output wire and plug it into your hpt cable. If your serious about learning this then get onto the hptuners forum now and start reading. I personally read for 3 months before I even started tweaking things in the tune. Lots of reading and baby steps, will get you some experience that you may not blow up haha.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Banned

Ok when tuning. Elevation ambient tems directly affect ve tuning and maf tuning........... If u need help text or call me 270-505-3212... James
Old 05-01-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by BoostedYards86
If your going to do this do it right and get the pro level. Buy a wideband that has a 0-5v output wire and plug it into your hpt cable. If your serious about learning this then get onto the hptuners forum now and start reading. I personally read for 3 months before I even started tweaking things in the tune. Lots of reading and baby steps, will get you some experience that you may not blow up haha.
I always want to do it right which sucks because its even more money damn it. regardless i started reading on the hp tuners forum about a month ago however I only joined the site last week. It looks like a lot of food info but its hard for me because I can't actually open and read any files to see whats going on specifically innside the program.

I appreciate the help. I really do. Its great that I've even gotten this far. I've learned quit a few things in the past couple of weeks that i never knew
Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Red05SS/SC
to be honest I'm no expert on those sensors. I do remember an article in either modified mag or super street awhile back that went in depth on MAF's and the other style that mainly foreign cars/older cars used. thats just it obviously I'm not up on that information and when I get home from school at the end of the week I'll make sure I learn that again.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by BoostedYards86
another thing. to hook the wideband into hp tuners. I think that requires sometype of hardware? I know I could prbably find that on hp tuners forums but your help is appreciated. If it does require hardware. how much or could you explain the general process to make the wideband work with hp tuners?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:18 PM

another thing. to hook the wideband into hp tuners. I think that requires sometype of hardware? I know I could prbably find that on hp tuners forums but your help is appreciated. If it does require hardware. how much or could you explain the general process to make the wideband work with hp tuners?
The wide band will have a 5v output wire in its harness. You connect that to either the number 1 pin on the HPT cable if I recall correctly. Some people also run a ground from the dash to the pin right next to it as well. That info is definitely on the HTP forums and it may be in a thread on here somewhere also.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Banned

Dude if u need help let me know...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HP tuning ?'s