2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Idle problem CURE!!!!!!!! Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hole on the backside of the throttle body, I never cleaned it the previous few times, only cleaned out the main portion and valve, could this by why my idle has never been corrected???
Old 08-28-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed my new throttlebody. I am no longer getting the eng. pwr. reduced message, but still having the idle issue. Cleaned m.a.f. still have idle issue. Gonna replace front oxygen sensor. Will advise.

Last edited by nizzle; 08-31-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:49 AM

I was having an idle problem as well, but it wasn't like this. My idle was extremely low and in the morning if you tried to move you would pretty much have to burn out the clutch to get her moving. Once the car was warmed up and moving for awhile then it would be fine.

I was having this problem before I made any upgrades. I ended up getting a Injen intake and brought it in for service after it was installed. I was hoping that they wouldn't just look at me and tell me my idle problems were because of the Intake because I knew the problem occured before I installed it. Normally I would expect them to just turn me away but because we have like.... 6-8 cars from my dealership (My dad has a "Fleat" of GM's between us and his business including my CObalt SS an 09 Impala, Trail Blazer SS and a 2500 HD Silverado and a Saturn Sky, Saturn was owned by this dealer ship too at the time) They are usually pretty compliant! So when they looked at it they told me that there was a new software update for my 05' SS/SC and they wernt sure if they should do the update because of the intake. I told them to do it anyways and it did fixed the problem.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:03 PM

Im having the same dam problem...hopefully that will fix it, thank you for the advice
Old 09-26-2009, 03:36 PM

are you supposed to unbolt the throttle body from the SC before you clean it? Also are there any spots in particular that I should hit with the cleaner?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by JAYNO20
are you supposed to unbolt the throttle body from the SC before you clean it? Also are there any spots in particular that I should hit with the cleaner?
This method he is telling us for me anyways does in fact work, all I did was unbolt the throttle body from the supercharger and my cold air intake. I then got a rag and some throttle body cleaner and cleaned every nick and crany I could with it, and after that I just let it sit for a few to air dry and then put it back together and it was fixed, no more stopping at the red light with a semi-flooring motion and high rpms and people looking at me weird like im on crack or something. If you guys get the chance to I would do this asap, so much nicer.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 PM

I thought my plugs were the issue with my 2.2 supercharged so I am replacing them, but I have a catch can in the mail so I will try both. I know that my car on first start up sometimes "hunts for idle" and if I give it a little gas it smooths out. Almost like there's something that has to get burned up... Good thread!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 PM

I had my 07 SS/SC for almost 3 years since Dec 06 with 10700 miles. I never had that happend to me yet. For a minute I thought it was your throttle sensor going out because that happend to my 03 SRT-4 twice, ideling like crazy. I installed a Injen CAI last month and place a injen hydroshield to prevent debry and all kinds of crapp from plugging up the supercharger. Where is the throttle body located? So I know sometime in the future to check it out.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by efactor
I had my 07 SS/SC for almost 3 years since Dec 06 with 10700 miles. I never had that happend to me yet. For a minute I thought it was your throttle sensor going out because that happend to my 03 SRT-4 twice, ideling like crazy. I installed a Injen CAI last month and place a injen hydroshield to prevent debry and all kinds of crapp from plugging up the supercharger. Where is the throttle body located? So I know sometime in the future to check it out.
really? maybe you should have someone else do this?? it's what your intake attaches to with hose clamps... it's bolted to the intake side of the supercharger... not the side attatched to the intake manifold... sorry if I seem like a dick
Old 10-28-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cobaltsky05
really? maybe you should have someone else do this?? it's what your intake attaches to with hose clamps... it's bolted to the intake side of the supercharger... not the side attatched to the intake manifold... sorry if I seem like a dick
Your not, I was assuming that's where it is located when I first put on my Injen CAI.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:21 PM

yeah it's got four bolts that hold it to the supercharger

you should just do the mod with an inline filter like this or buy a real catch can or seperator like me. It's a good cheap easy mod that will help prolong the life of your motor.

Last edited by Cobaltsky05; 10-28-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 PM

yeah it's got four bolts that hold it to the supercharger
Yeah had blond moment going there, but yeah. I'm suprised that haven't happend to me yet with 10700 miles. I got as high 37.5 mph recently on the highway going from Wilmington to Jacksonville, NC 50 miles apart. Putting that elbow piece on the throttle body was a pain in the ass process installing the intake. So, If the problem occurs I know what to do.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by efactor
Yeah had blond moment going there, but yeah. I'm suprised that haven't happend to me yet with 10700 miles. I got as high 37.5 mph recently on the highway going from Wilmington to Jacksonville, NC 50 miles apart. Putting that elbow piece on the throttle body was a pain in the ass process installing the intake. So, If the problem occurs I know what to do.
there's a trick to the elbow...

if it happens to you, first unclip the harness that attatches to the throttle body, remove the elbow, the pcv line that clips to the throttle body, remove 4 bolts holding throttle body to supercharger, and then with paper towels and carburator cleaner spray just a little in side the throttle body plenum and down the pcv port. Wipe down with towels, be sure to blow out the pcv port with an air nozzle before reinstalling in reverse order.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:30 PM

great topic
Old 11-01-2009, 11:00 AM

bought the cheap ebay special catch can in black... WORKS GREAT! who knew so much nasty fluid was blowing right in through my throttle body. Well besides you guys and everyone into cars lol. Here's some pics, will add more soon as I have enough fluid in the can to show you what it looks like.

best twenty bucks ever spent! that also included shipping
Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 AM

K&n

that is why people warn you about K&N air filters. they are coated in a oil cleaner to collect dirt and dust. problem is that engines suck up the oil (getting some on the TB and oil collects dust real easy for those who live on dirt roads!!!). I recently cleaned the TB on my parents Jeep Grand Cherokee (69000 Miles completely stock) and They were having the same problem. Jeep runs like new. planing to do this with the stage 2 install when the car is paid off.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by coderocks
that is why people warn you about K&N air filters. they are coated in a oil cleaner to collect dirt and dust. problem is that engines suck up the oil (getting some on the TB and oil collects dust real easy for those who live on dirt roads!!!). I recently cleaned the TB on my parents Jeep Grand Cherokee (69000 Miles completely stock) and They were having the same problem. Jeep runs like new. planing to do this with the stage 2 install when the car is paid off.
holy untrue statement! I don't know what kind of forced induction you have been my blower has never sucked oil out of my filter into my TB. How much oil you use? when mine came from K&N it was dry and brand new no coating of any kind. After having the filter for 30 k or more you can clean with their provided filter recharge kit that come's with an oil spray to help protect it from drying out after washing but if you follow the advised steps you shouldn't suck anything.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
holy untrue statement! I don't know what kind of forced induction you have been my blower has never sucked oil out of my filter into my TB. How much oil you use? when mine came from K&N it was dry and brand new no coating of any kind. After having the filter for 30 k or more you can clean with their provided filter recharge kit that come's with an oil spray to help protect it from drying out after washing but if you follow the advised steps you shouldn't suck anything.
This is untrue as well. All K&N filters come precoated.

Its dried from the factory.

The filter isn't releasing any oil unless it's over oiled.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 PM

what do they come precoated with?

I have searched everywhere I can not find any info on K&N pre coating their filters with anything...
I would really like to know what it is, and what it does? they are a repuitable company so if they do thi then there's a purpose. I would think coating an air filter would create more restriction.... hence why full race turbo guys run mesh on the intake inlet of a turbo or nothing instead of a conefilter. like an exhaust system if you make big power and have a restrictive exhaust you can't push it out like a cork. So clogged intake sucking through a stir stick instead of a biggie sized straw...
Old 11-05-2009, 11:27 AM

Hey guys, when I have the balt on Neutral and I rev it and let go of gas it drops down to like 2k rpms and idles there for like 2 secs and starts dropping slowly. I cleaned out the TB, I did see it was kind of dirty, but it didn't change a thing. Any other suggestions??? It also idles when I am coming to a stop, until I stop completely it idles like at 1.4k rpms.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
what do they come precoated with?

I have searched everywhere I can not find any info on K&N pre coating their filters with anything...
I would really like to know what it is, and what it does? they are a repuitable company so if they do thi then there's a purpose. I would think coating an air filter would create more restriction.... hence why full race turbo guys run mesh on the intake inlet of a turbo or nothing instead of a conefilter. like an exhaust system if you make big power and have a restrictive exhaust you can't push it out like a cork. So clogged intake sucking through a stir stick instead of a biggie sized straw...
The K&N filters come oiled from the factory. It is the same filter oil used when you clean and reoil the filter, which is a petroluem ether spray (naptha).

The way the K&N filters work is this: the filter itself uses the oil to trap dust and dirt. By using the oil to trap the dust and dirt you cause less restriction of airflow into the engine by allowing slightly larger filaments within the filter.

Originally Posted by Dynamico
Hey guys, when I have the balt on Neutral and I rev it and let go of gas it drops down to like 2k rpms and idles there for like 2 secs and starts dropping slowly. I cleaned out the TB, I did see it was kind of dirty, but it didn't change a thing. Any other suggestions??? It also idles when I am coming to a stop, until I stop completely it idles like at 1.4k rpms.
This is normal and all cobalts do this. I am pretty sure that all drive by wire cars act the same way. I am not sure on the technical reason why the car holds a high idle when coasting in nuetral or with the clutch in, but I know there is a specific reason why the car does this.

Last edited by rnjmur; 11-05-2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-05-2009, 02:08 PM

not enough oil that your blower will suck it through the intake and you would see it on your TB that's BS you have more blow by coming out of the valve cover into your intake and TB. maybe that's the oil he's thinkin...
Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 PM

i have taken my tb off and cleaned it but there wasn't really anything in there...still idling rough...i have an injen intake and have oiled it up but it was doing this before i even put that on. if anybody has anything that can help me right now i would really appreciate it cuz its pissing me off...
Old 11-07-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by thecobaltguy
i have taken my tb off and cleaned it but there wasn't really anything in there...still idling rough...i have an injen intake and have oiled it up but it was doing this before i even put that on. if anybody has anything that can help me right now i would really appreciate it cuz its pissing me off...
how many miles on your car?

have you changed your plugs?

if so what do you have in their now?

you have no check engine light on correct?

have you checked your fuel pressure?
Old 11-07-2009, 01:59 PM

i have really low mileage, 22,00 mi. i have changed the plugs to the ones that came with my kit (NGK iridium gapped at .030) and i have the check eng light pop on periodically and it will shut itself off and come back on a couple days later, as for fuel press no i havent checked it..

Quick Reply: Idle problem CURE!!!!!!!! Finally!!