2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Idle problem CURE!!!!!!!! Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my check engine light does that to, it comes on and comes off when it wants to, no big deal
Old 11-07-2009, 02:06 PM

see what code your throwing first. The pcm will turn the light on and off in my car too cause of my AC delete but it will still show up on my scanner whether the lights on or not. If it's a misfire code then you might want to check fuel pressure, wideband at WOT and idle

could have a lot to do with tuning and your meth kit...
Old 11-08-2009, 11:57 AM

i have P0420 which is catalyst inefficiency and i have had a multiple misfire code...i dont remember what that code was...that is the code that popped up when it was put on the diagnostic machine at the dealer and was told something was dumping too much fuel and clogging my cat thats why the code is popping...i dont know it just pisses me off.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by thecobaltguy
i have P0420 which is catalyst inefficiency and i have had a multiple misfire code...i dont remember what that code was...that is the code that popped up when it was put on the diagnostic machine at the dealer and was told something was dumping too much fuel and clogging my cat thats why the code is popping...i dont know it just pisses me off.
sounds like tune right there... injectors and fuel pump when they go bad typically will not richin' up they will lean out then boom. If it's just your cell coming on because of running to rich get HP tuners and turn it off and get someone to retune for you. As far as I know other than fouling plugs, lower power ratings, glogged cats, and failed emissions there's nothing to worry about lol your **** shouldn't blow on the way to work or where ever.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:01 PM

i dont think its running rich...i plan on getting a another tune so that should fix the problem right.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM

IT WORKS!!!! , I was having the same problem too. and followed your advice , and cleaned the throttle body, and it stop. saving me alot of money and time taking it to the dealer.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 PM

cleaned the tb and know i have a 1500rpm idle and it stays high what to do now??????
Old 12-27-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nightstalkercars
cleaned the tb and know i have a 1500rpm idle and it stays high what to do now??????
It is at 1500 RPM all the time, or when coasting? You may need to clean it again and make sure there isn't any dirt keeping the butterfly from closing all the way.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, what did you spray in it?
Old 01-01-2010, 05:58 PM

it is clean use just some carb clearn.
well went to the shop and had a ecm reflash done problem fixed!!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:38 AM

Angel !! got exactly the same problem you have on startup, cant start without pushing gas pedal or it stalls. Got a 08 ss turbocharged with aem intake and zzp DP. Car start fine when it's hot outside, was doing 3 degrees celcius yesterday and it started well, when it gets in the negative it won't start. Problem started happening the morning after i steam washed my wheels and 3 days after i installed the zzp highflow cat downpipe(dunno if this could help your diagnostic). Reinstalled stock DP downpipe cause i poped a CEL everday. Water got in the o2 bung and probably shorted my sensor cause i keep having o2 bank 2 code. Send me infos if you found the solution to that frustrating problem, will send car to dealer this week for sensor and startup problem.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:43 AM

This fix did nothing for my 07 ss/sc I cleaned the tb spic and span with carb cleaner and the maf sensor with sensor cleaner. I am back at the stealership again and they are chasing their tails. I'm just hoping I can get this taken care of before the warranty runs out.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:21 AM

Me too!!!

I just had my TB cleaned and,WOW! It was nasty! Ive had the car about 4 yrs and never cleaned it! Every time i would come to a stop, it would dip down to about 4-500 rpm, then back up. It was annoying! My buddy owns a shop,so i went over and when he cleaned it, his rag was black! He also said dont let mechanics just spray like crazy in there, wet the rag, and go to work(GENTLY)! Now she runs beautiful, even with the ac on!

Originally Posted by AlphaJustin
This fix did nothing for my 07 ss/sc I cleaned the tb spic and span with carb cleaner and the maf sensor with sensor cleaner. I am back at the stealership again and they are chasing their tails. I'm just hoping I can get this taken care of before the warranty runs out.
It could be anything from your EGR valve, or pcv, or O2 sensor? Im not sure why they cant find the prob! And yeah they are Stealerships! Those sneaky bastards!!!LOL

Last edited by soundwave132; 04-23-2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-24-2010, 10:52 AM

Yes!!!

Originally Posted by RedEcotecSS
mine only does it when the A/C is on. think it'd be the same problem?
Mine did the same thing and was worse with the ac on, now i cleaned my TB , even with the air on, its ok. Just remember to only spray the rag(NOT THE TB) and go to work. It will help you.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by nightstalkercars
Mine is doing the same thing after cleaning. Been 2 days now and still idles between 1500 and 2k. So is a re-flash the only way to solve this?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 AM

Hey guys I don't have much time right now to read through all the pages, but I do have a problem and need some help. I have an 05' Cobalt SS Supercharged and i still have the warranty on it. Two weeks ago I noticed when i took it on the freeway that around 70 mph or around 3000 rpm I heard a loud vibrating noise coming from underneath the car..and yesterday it sounded like the muffler was vibrating...it has never done this before..please help! and also i just noticed my car is way more rough when its idling now...
Old 05-04-2010, 09:48 PM

well sounds like the idle air bleed port in the throttle body was gunked up. (the little passage that lets air in when the throttle is closed) so when you reflashed your computer for the stage2 it was not getting the right amount of air according to the tune... i could be wrong..
Old 05-26-2010, 08:40 PM

Well, I cleaned the throttle body today.. It seems to have 'fixed' the idle from jumping up and down.. But now when I drive it it seems like the revs just dont come down.. I will downshift to 2nd and it seems like the revs stop at 1500rpm, whereas before it would stop around 1000ish rpm. Any suggestions?
Old 05-27-2010, 02:18 PM

So for us less mechanically inclined, could someone maybe walk me through the process of taking off the intake, and then the throttle body, and removing all sensors? Just so i dont get stuck replacing delicate electronics.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:41 PM

OP you are genius! Car runs like a freakin champ now. Thank you so much.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 PM

This is the issue I ran into after cleaning the TB..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azw2zdyYuCI
Old 05-29-2010, 11:20 PM

well im am going to throw something out here cause mine had the idle problem but it gets worse.

one day on my way to work the car states low engine power and i mean no power getting it in 1st gear was like 4-5 grand and it felt like i was trying to go from N to 3rd gear. if this happens try cleaning your TB but i will for warn you it will probley happen again at what point your TB dose need to be replaced. i have a thread in here somewhere check here and then this is the finall post https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...=201420&page=3

if end having to replace the throttle body all togeather and it was been running great till lately the idle has been bouching around again but im going to go get some cleaner and clean it again so i dont have to go threw this all over again. but please if your car is idleing weird clean it asap so you dont have to replace the TB. Wish everyone luck
Old 06-09-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by WPG SS/SC
This is the issue I ran into after cleaning the TB..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azw2zdyYuCI
That's nothing to worry about. That is just an emissions feature. After a hard rev, the car will bring the rev to about 1500 RPMs for a second or 2 to burn the excess gas, and then it will return to idle. Honestly, mine does it much worse than yours does. Yours goes back to idle very quickly. Mine hangs there for a few.

Also, I'm wondering if the Throttle Body cleaning would help cure a blurpy idle? My car acts like it's missing when it's warm at idle, but it's not quite as rough as a misfire.

Originally Posted by dray_jr
well im am going to throw something out here cause mine had the idle problem but it gets worse.

one day on my way to work the car states low engine power and i mean no power getting it in 1st gear was like 4-5 grand and it felt like i was trying to go from N to 3rd gear. if this happens try cleaning your TB but i will for warn you it will probley happen again at what point your TB dose need to be replaced. i have a thread in here somewhere check here and then this is the finall post https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...=201420&page=3

if end having to replace the throttle body all togeather and it was been running great till lately the idle has been bouching around again but im going to go get some cleaner and clean it again so i dont have to go threw this all over again. but please if your car is idleing weird clean it asap so you dont have to replace the TB. Wish everyone luck
The low power thing can also be caused by the catalytic converter. The SS's are known to plug up the cat's pretty well. Luckily mine's still good.

Last edited by Omega1x; 06-09-2010 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 AM

i cleaned mine a few months back and it didnt fix my problem either...i even changed the plugs cuz i thought it was misfiring but the funny thing is i am getting that code....but now they have a kit that lowers fuel pressure while at idle and turns it up under boost to accomodate the bigger injectors so that should fix all this.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 AM

Thumbs up

I used a can of throttle body cleaner and a lint free microfiber towels to clean it. I cleaned the inside of my supercharger where it meets the throttle body. Runs like new.

Quick Reply: Idle problem CURE!!!!!!!! Finally!!