2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Idle problem CURE!!!!!!!! Finally!!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe ill give this a try..cuz i have noticed at stop lights and signs or even when i just revv up my engine at start up my RPM's drop for a moment and go back up..or maybe im missunderstanding somthing..i just got my cobalt like 2 weeks ago..trying to learn stuff about it =]
Old 07-21-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by cblt12
dude im going to autozone right now... this has been pissing me off so bad i almost want to hump your leg right now. it has been horrible lately and dies all the time! i love you.
same here...it shut off on the guy trying to tune it saturday
Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have my car ripped apart now for a few weeks(Valve cover and supercharger are in getting polished) so I am going to install the Oil catch tank right away. I am sure once this is complete that I will not experience this problem again(I hope!!). Its very strange that the TB is already clogging up so soon after I found the fix for the problem but bottom line is that there is just way to much oily compound making its way into the intake and then the TB so having the catch tank installed to catch the oily debree will most definitely cure this problem and it should only be "air" making its way into the intake and the oil should collect in the tank. I will post pics asap and keep everyone updated on how it works out once the car is back on the road.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Angel
Hey guys, this is messed right up. I am the guy who originally started this thread and Ive learned alot of good information since my post. I havent driven my Cobalt much since I first cleaned the TB mabye about 500km and it had been running perfect but now its back!!! I have no idea why its sticking again soo soon but luckily enough I had ordered an oil catch tank in which I intend on installing within the next week or so. I picked up the oil catch tank off a seller from ebay for under $40 and I am positive that it will be money well spent. For those of you that do not know what this tank does I will quickly explain. The tank kit will integrate with the hose that connects to the top rear of your valve cover and connects to the air intake. This is the hose in which all the gunk that builds up in the TB comes from. Now with the tank intalled in between the air intake and the valve cover, all of the gunky s**t will collect in the tank with only the air passing through therefore no more buildup of this gunk in the TB. I highly reccomend that everyone having this problem should invest in these tanks not only because it will save having to clean the TB very frequently but also extend the life of your engine. The more this gunk collects some will eventually make its way into the engine and possibly cause some damage to the engine. I would like to also say that I am soo happy that I have been able to help so many of you out there with this problem because it was soo annoying to myself that I was at the point of just trading my car in regardless of the tens of thousands I already have invested so I am very pleased. I will also post pictures of the catch tank once installed.

This fix all didn't work for me one bit. Nice try though. Resetting the computer only delayed it till another day.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
This fix all didn't work for me one bit. Nice try though. Resetting the computer only delayed it till another day.
I "THINK" this was more for the ss/sc people. Could be wrong tho.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:02 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by red06s/c
I "THINK" this was more for the ss/sc people. Could be wrong tho.
well I originally thought so too, but most 2.2L cars have the exact same problem. It's really weird.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:06 PM

I have had those same problems, it is such a common thing with cobalts. As soon as I installed my exedy stage III clutch and flywheel the problem went away. Good post for those who still have idle problems.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:26 PM

clapping hands!! good job!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by red06s/c
Ok i just clean mine, took it around the block, and it worked..very well. however; now the rpm's stay up alot longer then before. before the clean the would just fall, but now the stay around 2k before they die down. think i should give it a few days for the computer to adj?
i also cleaned my tb and have the same result with the rpms. i cant remember back 3 years ago my car doing this. is this normal? even if i take it out of gear to coast the rpms sit right at 2k? my tb was caked with oil and gunk, black as pitch. had 104k miles on it, so i guess it needed cleaning. didnt have the idle problem, car just started to stutter on me at low speeds and figured it needed cleaning. but would like to know if a guy can damage the springs and stuff inside by manually moving the butterfly while cleaning.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by love my SS
i also cleaned my tb and have the same result with the rpms. i cant remember back 3 years ago my car doing this. is this normal? even if i take it out of gear to coast the rpms sit right at 2k? my tb was caked with oil and gunk, black as pitch. had 104k miles on it, so i guess it needed cleaning. didnt have the idle problem, car just started to stutter on me at low speeds and figured it needed cleaning. but would like to know if a guy can damage the springs and stuff inside by manually moving the butterfly while cleaning.
I opened mine up to get the entire surface clean, no probs....I just did my best not to force it all the way open
Old 08-04-2008, 02:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This is normal. I DO remember back when I first bought the car that the RPM always stayed high when coasting out of gear. It is just that over time since the car stopped doing it you forget that it used to do it.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

but would like to know if a guy can damage the springs and stuff inside by manually moving the butterfly while cleaning.
I doubt you can hurt it. I've cleaned mine twice in 20k miles . Both times i took it completely off and held it open for extended periods of time, no issues.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
This is normal. I DO remember back when I first bought the car that the RPM always stayed high when coasting out of gear. It is just that over time since the car stopped doing it you forget that it used to do it.
wow...its really hard on the gas mileage...i try to coast alot. but i will say, this car is really running now!!! BIG difference. if you havent cleaned your TB, you gota do it!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 PM

come to think of it mine fluters too just at idle from like 700-1100rpm....thankyou for the heads up.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:13 AM

wow...its really hard on the gas mileage...i try to coast alot. but i will say, this car is really running now!!! BIG difference. if you havent cleaned your TB, you gota do it!
Coasting is not as good for gas mileage as leaving it in gear. You will get better gas mileage by leaving the car in gear. Fuel cut-off deceleration - when the car is in gear and you take your foot off the gas the car will cut off fuel and use the vehicle inertia to keep the car running.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Coasting is not as good for gas mileage as leaving it in gear. You will get better gas mileage by leaving the car in gear. Fuel cut-off deceleration - when the car is in gear and you take your foot off the gas the car will cut off fuel and use the vehicle inertia to keep the car running.
Then why does the mpg gauge go up when i coast? And when u leave it in gear, the car slows down if ur not on the gas so wouldnt that make coasting better.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by PolishPauL
Then why does the mpg gauge go up when i coast? And when u leave it in gear, the car slows down if ur not on the gas so wouldnt that make coasting better.
from what I understand,
in gear decelleration = fuel injectors shut off completely ...while coasting = your car is at high idle, around 1200 rpms, and still pushing fuel.

so, your mpg's will go up either way, but will go up more during in gear decelleration ....
Old 08-06-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by arkkornkid
from what I understand,
in gear decelleration = fuel injectors shut off completely ...while coasting = your car is at high idle, around 1200 rpms, and still pushing fuel.

so, your mpg's will go up either way, but will go up more during in gear decelleration ....
Exactly. When coasting of course you are still going to get an increase in gas mileage. But by staying in gear the car actually shuts off the injectors so you are getting even better mileage. As an example - when I first bought my car I used to coast down hills, etc all the time. My average MPG was about 24 maybe 25 MPG. Once I learned the car had deccelleration fuel cut-off I started leaving it in gear all the time and only taking it out of gear when stopping or the RPMs dropped below 1250 (of course if still moving like int raffic I will down shift at this point). I now average around 28 MPG and that is 50% city driving and sitting in traffic for an hour every day.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:10 PM

Exactly. When coasting of course you are still going to get an increase in gas mileage. But by staying in gear the car actually shuts off the injectors so you are getting even better mileage. As an example - when I first bought my car I used to coast down hills, etc all the time. My average MPG was about 24 maybe 25 MPG. Once I learned the car had deccelleration fuel cut-off I started leaving it in gear all the time and only taking it out of gear when stopping or the RPMs dropped below 1250 (of course if still moving like int raffic I will down shift at this point). I now average around 28 MPG and that is 50% city driving and sitting in traffic for an hour every day.
Even tho i can hear the exhaust, theres still no fuel goin into the engine? I always wondered why manuals get better gas mileage cuz in an auto the rpms drop to 1k as soon as u let off the gas. I know why now. Thanks.

So does downshifting to slow down waste gas? Does it matter how high the rpm's are? Is the fuel automatically cutoff even above 3k rpm?

Last edited by PolishPauL; 08-06-2008 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-06-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by PolishPauL
Even tho i can hear the exhaust, theres still no fuel goin into the engine? I always wondered why manuals get better gas mileage cuz in an auto the rpms drop to 1k as soon as u let off the gas. I know why now. Thanks.

So does downshifting to slow down waste gas? Does it matter how high the rpm's are? Is the fuel automatically cutoff even above 3k rpm?
I don't know the specifics on how the decelleration fuel cut-off works with downshifting, but I don't know that it would help at all. If you use the downshifting to slow yourself down you may actually hurt your gas mileage. Fuel cut-off is typically enabled above a certain RPM i.e. above 1800 RPMs fuel cut-off is enabled. It is then disabled once you get below 1200 RPMs. So above 3K there would still be fuel cut-off. However, the fuel doesn't necessarily cut off immediately, I am sure there is some kind of delay like maybe a second or so before it actually cuts off.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the Info.
My Cobalt just started with that idle surging problem a couple weeks ago.
Going to get cleaner tonite.

Just Curious.... If you have had or are having this problem, What brand of Gasoline are you using?
Wondering if the problem might be related.

I'm using Phillips, Shell and QuikTrip.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by HeavyRightFoot
Thanks for the Info.
My Cobalt just started with that idle surging problem a couple weeks ago.
Going to get cleaner tonite.

Just Curious.... If you have had or are having this problem, What brand of Gasoline are you using?
Wondering if the problem might be related.

I'm using Phillips, Shell and QuikTrip.
Well, the "gunk" is coming from the crankcase, it is basically oil that is gumming up the TB. The best way to prevent it is to put in a catch can.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:48 PM

Ok, well we have completed our project with the balt (under the hood anyways). The catch tank is installed and we have ran the car for a while and its definitely doing its job. There is already a very small amount of gunk in the tank now and only "air" moving through the tb. I will post pics of the car in the next day or so as I am very pleased with how it is turning out.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:59 PM

I installed one, and tehres a little bit of oil in mine already lol. 4k on my and still no crazy idle.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:04 PM

where can one find these catch cans of which you speak?

wow...proper english sux ass but seriously, where have ya'll found them?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle problem CURE!!!!!!!! Finally!!