2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.
View Poll Results: 2.0 LSJ ONLY: What intake do you have?
K&N Intake
24.08%
Injen Intake
45.11%
Fujita Intake
7.10%
AEM Intake
10.42%
XTC Intake
1.20%
JBP Intake
0.83%
Ebay Intake
5.90%
Rebel AutoWorx Intake
4.52%
RDFabs Intake
0.83%
Voters: 1084. You may not vote on this poll

SS/SC intakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Thursday I saw the chance to try one of these intake optiosn for myself and not spend alot of money.

http://www.amazon.com/K-69-4516TS-Ty.../dp/B000E5WD42

$90 shipped or $95 w/trial "prime" account and "saturday" shipping. It arrived late Friday. The intake I recieved is the powdercoated silver version

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-4516TS

If you check the install directions it's shaped like the diagram in it, not like the color pics.

It was also a massive pain in the ass to install. Nothing fit right if somethign else was lined up properly and finally after screwign with it for an hour or so yesterday and 2 hrs or so today I found that if you shove the filter on an extra inch or so you can JUST get it twisted around to mount and still get the plastic back in place.

While not a fan of the high pitched whine these cars make with a new intake (I'm used to and love the sounds of 350s/454s), the extra low rpm boost does seem to make a little difference.

I guess what I like best is the "clean" look. Not alot of non matching colors and "bling"

I've driven ~80 miles so far with it in city/highway/to the floor driving styles so far no CEL so overall I'm happy.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:54 PM

Hey i just bought my 06 cobalt ss/sc yesterday, and wanted to know whats the best intake to get for the money.....?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion, but I would recommend doing your own research. This thread has lots of valid points and opinions in here. When all is said and done, there are different intakes for different set-ups. If you're not looking to go big, and are not looking for best CFM, then just do an airbox mod. Cheapest intake out there and works almost as well. It's all about flow:

Stock intake = Least flow
Airbox mod = Second least flow
AEM = Average because it uses top half of stock intake
Full 2.5" intake = Second most flow
Full 3" intake = Most flow
Old 08-15-2007, 02:07 PM

someone should search through all the dyno threads and put stock HP gains for each one
Old 08-15-2007, 02:12 PM

Not all of the intakes have been tested for gain over stock. Most people that modify their car with an intake already have something else done, get more than one thing at once, or don't want to pony up the cash just to see how much power the intake makes.

I'll save you the trouble, all intakes are going to make around the same amount just slapped on. The larger the intake (up to 3" cause TB=3"), the greater the CFM. More flow = more power if the vehicle is tuned for it.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:48 PM

Well im thinking about getting the Stage 2 put on from the dealer. So i just wanted to know which one would be better. I was thinking about the Fujita or the Injen. Or if you guys think they are too over priced for the money then just let me know. Dont want to get off the topic... but if you guys do have the stage 2. How much did it cost?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:37 AM

I just bought an Injen CAI. How big of chance do I have of scooping up water next time it rains if I don't get a hydro shield or a prefilter?

I work at a Chevy dealer and I paid just over $600 for the stage 1 and stage 2 parts together.

Last edited by Laser_SS; 08-21-2007 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Laser_SS
I just bought an Injen CAI. How big of chance do I have of scooping up water next time it rains if I don't get a hydro shield or a prefilter?
Chances of hydrolocking with a CAI is small. The filter element must be immersed.

But the fact is this: It CAN happen.

Your chances are NOT zero.

I installed one on my '06 Focus ST and had regretted put it on. Made me too nervous when driving after heavy rainstorms.

I'll never put a CAI on a car ever again. When I ran it at the track, it only took a 1/10 of a sec. off my 1/4 mile time.

Totally NOT worth the chance of blowing an engine ... even if it's only a remote chance.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 AM

Stop being such a wuss Frank! I would strongly encourage making your intake into a short air intake (SAI) if you live somewhere that has terrential rain falls every week and a terrible drainage system. If you don't live where I described, you'd be like every other tuner that uses a CAI successfully all year long.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
If you are worried about damp water getting on your filter, we keep in stock the Injen Hydro sheilds which fir on the Injen intakes, which we also keep in stock. Many many choose this setup.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Edubs
Stop being such a wuss Frank! I would strongly encourage making your intake into a short air intake (SAI) if you live somewhere that has terrential rain falls every week and a terrible drainage system. If you don't live where I described, you'd be like every other tuner that uses a CAI successfully all year long.
Heh dubs, well, there are people out there who can tell you horror stories about needing new engines from such a mod.

It's happened - that's a fact man. And for what bro, a 1/10 of a second in the 1/4?

The chances of me hydrolocking my car with the stock intake are ZERO.

I like those odds ...
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 PM

What are the chances of you breaking your car at the track? Zero? I think not! Don't use this stats crap w/ me! You've been to the track, and you're going back. Odds are you'll eventually break the car, how do you like those odds?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:58 AM

What are the chances of you breaking your car at the track? Zero? I think not! Don't use this stats crap w/ me! You've been to the track, and you're going back. Odds are you'll eventually break the car, how do you like those odds?
Heh dubs,

If I break my car at the track, two things remain that separate it from hydrolocking my car:

1) I won't experience a blown engine simply from racing a completely stock vehicle
2) Even if I did, my vehicle will still be warrantied

I've already proven the above to be the case when that happened to me on a previous new car that I owned. A timing belt slipped on a car that had only 2,000 miles on it and it destroyed the engine (interference engine).

But I had a new engine installed by the dealer at absolutely no cost to me whatsoever.

Try that with a hydrolocked engine with an after market CAI in place ... your screwed man.

Plan on paying $5,000-$6,000 out of pocket for a new engine.

Calm down man ...
Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 AM

Calm down? When wasn't I calm? The odds of breaking a car at the track are much higher than the odds of hydrolocking the engine. You keep your odds, and the guy with the CAI will keep edging you out by a fender at the track every pass. I don't really care if anyone gets an intake, but c'mon, any modification has potentially disasterious consequences. Either your dealership was really cool, or they didn't know you had the car on the track. If they were a typical dealer, they wouldn't have covered you under warranty had they have known...
Old 08-24-2007, 04:37 PM

Calm down? When wasn't I calm? The odds of breaking a car at the track are much higher than the odds of hydrolocking the engine. You keep your odds, and the guy with the CAI will keep edging you out by a fender at the track every pass. I don't really care if anyone gets an intake, but c'mon, any modification has potentially disasterious consequences. Either your dealership was really cool, or they didn't know you had the car on the track. If they were a typical dealer, they wouldn't have covered you under warranty had they have known...
Good grief, this can go on forever.

point/counterpoint ...
point/counterpoint ...

I'm done with this topic.

Lata ...
Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 PM

But this is so much fun Frank! C'mon, you gotta loosen up a little bit. Where were you Wednesday? You going this coming Wednesday? Weather should be nice...I think...
Old 08-25-2007, 02:53 PM

is an injen a really good intake to get if i want to get a stage 2 in a month or soo...
Old 08-25-2007, 05:27 PM

I got the injen, and I love it...it's EXTREMELY easy to install, and it sounds great.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:41 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
The only way you are going to hydrolock it is if the end of the intake is fully submerged in water.. try submerging the stock intake in a pond and see what happens. Just don't drive your car underwater and you won't have any problems.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:04 PM

Canada

Originally Posted by ixwombatxi
I got the injen, and I love it...it's EXTREMELY easy to install, and it sounds great.
Did you have trouble with the cel when you put it on? Or did everything work out perfect?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:39 PM

I just order and recieved the fujita cai from thmotorsports and its an awesome looking and sounding intake and the power gain is great, i would say atleast 10hp, but alas its doesnt fit for sh*t. The 2007 brakeline hub is taller then the 05's so the nomex/silicon coupler is sitting on the lines pretty hard and im sure it will wear thew in no time if i dont figure somthing out. just a heads up and a rant. thmoto did great im sure i'll buy somthing from them again. and i say to everyone not to hesitate about ordering anything you want or need from these guys.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:29 AM

That's where intakes like the K&N and RD Fabs really shine. They fit perfect. RD Fabs is the only 3" Stainless Steel intake that doesn't rub, at the moment, but I know Rebel is releasing theirs soon...
Old 08-29-2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by *GateCrasheR*
I just order and recieved the fujita cai from thmotorsports and its an awesome looking and sounding intake and the power gain is great, i would say atleast 10hp, but alas its doesnt fit for sh*t. The 2007 brakeline hub is taller then the 05's so the nomex/silicon coupler is sitting on the lines pretty hard and im sure it will wear thew in no time if i dont figure somthing out. just a heads up and a rant. thmoto did great im sure i'll buy somthing from them again. and i say to everyone not to hesitate about ordering anything you want or need from these guys.
So you were having problesm with the Fujita? It didnt fit properly?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:15 PM

That's not a surprise. The Fujita and JBP intakes do not fit properly. Only the RD Fabs and Rebel intakes fit and are one-piece 3" tubing...
Old 08-29-2007, 04:11 PM

That's not a surprise. The Fujita and JBP intakes do not fit properly. Only the RD Fabs and Rebel intakes fit and are one-piece 3" tubing...
Well how is the injens? Would i be better of getting that?

Quick Reply: SS/SC intakes