2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

SS/SC vs STi/EVO

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SS4lives
Fact #1
Doing only or mostly "highway runs" = ricer

Fact #2
Saying, "IF I put so and so x amount of money in my car and can beat so and so car that makes it a better value" = ricer

You are welcome to put stock in what FiremanFrank says, but I would highly advise against it, he really has no idea what he is talking about.
well there's alot of different info on this site some right some wrong. I'm sure that if some people's info was as 100% right as they act like it is they would have engineering jobs with mitsubishi, suburu, or gm. I doubt we have any engineers from any of those companies on here. Point being don't bash anyone elses info because its not the same info you have. If you're correcting someone fine but to call out someone like that doesn't make you look any smarter. BTW, the word "ricer" is an opinion not a fact. If someone wants to hook up their car and put that kinda money into it so be it, it belongs to them right!?
Old 09-02-2007, 04:31 PM

All you guys are full of it.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by SSBOOST
They are definitely not comparable mod for mod. I'm generally saying you get more bang for your buck with the SS/SC and if you wanted to, you could invest $30k in the Cobalt inluding the car and go much faster than if you were to just buy a $30k EVO/STi by itself. Do you understand me now?
that means absolutely nothing. I could pick up a fox body mustang and put 30k in it total and run 10's/handle better than most street cars. Or i could get a 2005 honda civic even, spend money until i reach 30k and still have a real quick car that handles well. The fact is, evo's and sti's are much quicker stock and some people for some reason pretend the ss/sc is just as quick stock for stock and mod for mod. All im saying is stock for stock and mod for mod these two cars are much quicker in every aspect.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by cakeeater
that means absolutely nothing. I could pick up a fox body mustang and put 30k in it total and run 10's/handle better than most street cars. Or i could get a 2005 honda civic even, spend money until i reach 30k and still have a real quick car that handles well. The fact is, evo's and sti's are much quicker stock and some people for some reason pretend the ss/sc is just as quick stock for stock and mod for mod. All im saying is stock for stock and mod for mod these two cars are much quicker in every aspect.
Yeah these cars should not be compared to the Cobalt. Full exhaust and a tune look how fast they are:

http://www.vishnutuning.com/impreza_sti_stage1_v370.htm
Old 09-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Banned

I wouldn't say MUCH quicker but they are definitely faster, the numbers show it.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:57 PM

I wouldn't say MUCH quicker but they are definitely faster, the numbers show it.
they are a good full second quicker in a straight line from a dig....that's about 10 cars give or take a bit. from a roll it still shouldn't be much of a challenge and on a road course god DAMN will you get raped. im not trying to belittle the ss/sc, these cars are just in a different league here.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:16 PM

I just sold my 12 sec 99 Z28 which would run with evos or STIs. The cobalt is quick, my friend has an intense stage 3 kit, but my Z28 would **** all over the SS/SC cobalt easily. I remember before I got my SS/SC I talked to a few owners and they all thought that their car could beat anything on the road. I just remember thinking- this is why the car gets so little respect- everyone thinks that whoever drives this car is the kid who claims he can beat anything on the road, making himself and other ss/sc owners look like dumbasses.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:30 PM

lol dude you don't know what you're talking about
Old 09-02-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I beat up on a few stock STIs at the track here now and then.

flame me all you want....a few local guys who were there that night can attest to it.

if they are driven very well they should win from a dig.
but if the driver isnt bang on, or you race from a roll....you will surprise them.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Banned

Actually my post is everything it means it says, its less than a second quicker stock to stock (magazines say Cobalt is 14.6 but then again they also say 205 fwhp, most get low to mid 14's) and I originally said with stage 2 on the first page of this thread. It really isn't MUCH faster but they definitely are faster without a doubt, learn2read plz.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:46 PM

Actually my post is everything it means it says, its less than a second quicker stock to stock (magazines say Cobalt is 14.6 but then again they also say 205 fwhp, most get low to mid 14's) and I originally said with stage 2 on the first page of this thread. It really isn't MUCH faster but they definitely are faster without a doubt, learn2read plz.
learn2read plz?

hooked. on. phonics.

IX's have run 12's multiple times. Wait what's the quickest completely stock balt run that anyone here knows of? oh yea it's a 14.0 isn't it? so wait... 14-12.9 = ?????

1.1?! stop talking you are digging yourself into a hole. i consider 10 cars to be quite a bit faster, i'd dare say a lot.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned

See you're taking the best cars ever seen, were talking average. On average Cobalt's are low to mid 14's and on average EVO IX's have mid 13's. ALSO, I KEEP SAYING THAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT STAGE 2, good lord. And even then, some Cobalts may be faster and some EVO's are faster, depends on your luck with what you bought. You can't just take the best factory freaks of the world and compare because not everyone has one.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

A S2 SS vs an EVO still goes to the EVO/STI drivers if they know how to drive. We're ofcourse talking about racing from a dig and not from a roll like most members like on this forum because they can't drive for ****.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Onyxd04Redline
A S2 SS vs an EVO still goes to the EVO/STI drivers if they know how to drive. We're ofcourse talking about racing from a dig and not from a roll like most members like on this forum because they can't drive for ****.
This is true. And ever since I started this thread I've been talking about purely hp/weight ratios because me and my buddies and club members like to do highway runs just because we are always traveling and driving on the highway, and plus I drive back and forth between Atlanta and east Georgia for college all the time.

Originally Posted by SS4lives
Average for Cobalts is mid-high 14s not mid-low 14s.

Average for EVOs is mid-low 13s.

Best stage 2 only car = what? high 13s?
Again you are going by magazine/brochure info. And we all know that the Cobalt does not make those times, hell, my ******* 2.4L at 165WHP (with intake/catback/tune ONLY) made a 14.865 so you CANNOT tell me that a car with 50-60 more WHP makes similar 1/4 mile times. Get your facts straight, I bet you don't even have a Cobalt.

Last edited by SSBOOST; 09-02-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-02-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
because EVERY car does its stated magazine time when it goes to the track.

you guys love to dish out the word ricer alot.
thats one of the biggest bench racing ricer arguments around.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by an0malous
because EVERY car does its stated magazine time when it goes to the track.

you guys love to dish out the word ricer alot.
thats one of the biggest bench racing ricer arguments around.
Seems like at least you and I are on the same page.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:05 PM

This is true. And ever since I started this thread I've been talking about purely hp/weight ratios because me and my buddies and club members like to do highway runs just because we are always traveling and driving on the highway, and plus I drive back and forth between Atlanta and east Georgia for college all the time.

Again you are going by magazine/brochure info. And we all know that the Cobalt does not make those times, hell, my ******* 2.4L at 165WHP (with intake/catback/tune ONLY) made a 14.865 so you CANNOT tell me that a car with 50-60 more WHP makes similar 1/4 mile times. Get your facts straight, I bet you don't even have a Cobalt.
HA! post that slip please, i don't believe that for one second.

and sure we can compare magazine times, averages from the track, averages from the web i don't care, the IX is still AT LEAST a full second faster. Motortrend ran a 13.0@105 with the IX, what'd they run with the ss/sc? a 14.4? Most people will run mid-high 14's in an ss/sc, most will run mid 13's in ix's.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Banned

There ya go, that was my 2nd run, I cannot find my first of 14.865, I posted this on the 2.4L forums a bit ago, never could find the original. And even this isn't much different. My time on the right. I had a better R/T the first time around.

Keep in mind a stage 2 produces almost 100 more whp than my car had during that run.
And one more thing just for ***** and giggles, my buddies pure stock red SS/SC was taken to a weigh-in station on our way to Florida and we stepped out of the car and it weighed in at 2840 and there was trash still in the car, do the math, everything adds up.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:16 PM

There ya go, that was my 2nd run, I cannot find my first of 14.865, I posted this on the 2.4L forums a bit ago, never could find the original. And even this isn't much different. My time on the right. I had a better R/T the first time around.

Keep in mind a stage 2 produces almost 100 more whp than my car had during that run.
you do realize r/t has absolutely nothing to do with e/t right? I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this, but just know i find it very fishy that a fwd car without alot of torque trapped 90mph and got a 14 second timeslip...
Old 09-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Banned

Thanks, I'm not just continuously posting BS lol, I've done a lot research and comparisons, my buddies are always up on top of the game and I have to be as well to keep up.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:38 PM

Damn more uneducated posts! a stock ss/sc will certainly not keep up with a stock evo VIII or a IX. from a roll a stock ss/sc might be able to keep up with these cars but its all driver dependent. From a stop the cobalt is toast...they obviously dont have the AWD advantage. The cobalts can only be modified so much with the supercharger.....smaller pulley, ported blower, bolt-ons, slicks...then what? your talkin high 12's at the most before you start breakin axles and cv's. Once you guys start goin turbo then you can start talkin about obliterating sti's and evos. Evo's hit high 12's(sti's take a little more work) with just a drop-in filter and a base flash! I'm not sure where all these claims about cobalts stomping evo's and sti's....just doesn't happen. Mine hit a little over 300 awhp with just bolt-ons and an AMS dyno tune on a mustang dyno(the heartbreaker) which notoriously read low for tuning reasons. Once you add cams ...meth...larger turbo's the cobalts dont stand a chance. Not knocking the cobalts (needs more turbo to make any REAL horsepower) but some of these claims are crazy! Some of these traps that you guys post like the 12.8@103 makes absolutely no sense and the 13.6@108 the guy posted on the 1st page are wrong...the traps need to be switched. All these cars a great but they're in a different league and should'nt really be compared with each other. Add AWD and more HP to the cobalt then we're talkin!
Old 09-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Banned

You do not need to reinstate what has been said 5 times already. We all know the EVO will destroy a Cobalt from a dig.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by cakeeater
yea i guess that makes sense because we have only been talking about modded vs modded for half the thread right?
WRONG

That's what YOU have been trying to push, not US.

and your car is 100% not as quick as an evo IX stock or modded, mod for mod, straight line, in the twisties, any way you want to look at it the IX is a faster car PERIOD.
Looks to me like you're having your PERIOD, because it seems you're no longer able to think straight.

Only thing Evo is faster than an SS/SC is from a stop. That''s it.

Please take a Midol first before responding further ...

The IX has gone as fast as 12.9@106 stock. That is a car that will easily take you from a roll ...
What a joke. You better take TWO Midol ...

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think differently.
And you're kidding yourself into oblivion if you think a car that makes 10 more whp and weighs 400lbs. more than an SS/SC is gonna kill us from a roll.

This is what i am telling you from experience with friend's evos, evos at the track, on the street, etc.
Now I know you're lying! Because with the kind of wreckless attitude that you've shown us here, I can't believe you HAVE any friends.

evo ix's put down around 225whp ON MUSTANG DYNOS ... On a dj that translates to eh 235awhp, 255-260 awtq.
Not by what I've found. But let's go with your "idea" that an Evo puts down 235whp, that STILL wouldn't be enough juice to take us at anything but from a stop.
  • 3400 FAT Evo pounds / 235whp = 14.46 FAT Evo lbs. per/whp
  • 2930 SVELTE SC pounds / 215whp = 13.72 SVELTE lbs. per/whp

Now do you understand?

Let me ask you this, did you ever pass Basic Grade School Math?

If so, THEN DO THE FREAKIN MATH before you spout off any more senseless bullcrap.

Because we're not buying what you're selling here ...
Old 09-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Banned

If I wasn't lazy I couldn't have said it any better.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by firemanfrank
WRONG

That's what YOU have been trying to push, not US.

Looks to me like you're having your PERIOD, because it seems you're no longer able to think straight.

Only thing Evo is faster than an SS/SC is from a stop. That''s it.

Please take a Midol first before responding further ...

What a joke. You better take TWO Midol ...

And you're kidding yourself into oblivion if you think a car that makes 10 more whp and weighs 400lbs. more than an SS/SC is gonna kill us from a roll.

Now I know you're lying! Because with the kind of wreckless attitude that you've shown us here, I can't believe you HAVE any friends.

Not by what I've found. But let's go with your "idea" that an Evo puts down 235whp, that STILL wouldn't be enough juice to take us at anything but from a stop.
  • 3400 FAT Evo pounds / 235whp = 14.46 FAT Evo lbs. per/whp
  • 2930 SVELTE SC pounds / 215whp = 13.72 SVELTE lbs. per/whp

Now do you understand?

Let me ask you this, did you ever pass Basic Grade School Math?

If so, THEN DO THE FREAKIN MATH before you spout off any more senseless bullcrap.

Because we're not buying what you're selling here ...

HAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHHAHA! alright i guess hp to weight ratio is the only thing in the automotive industry that means anything now. Guys, listen to this guy he knows everything. Torque curve means nothing, gearing means nothing, etc. go to the track. Please, just go. Here, i'll actually go talk to the evo guys on the forums and find when they are having a meet near you and yo ucan go to the track and watch for yourself while multiple stock ix's trap over 104. You know nothing.

Quick Reply: SS/SC vs STi/EVO