2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

victory_red_SS goes RWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
I'm thinking you don't have that mirror installed correctly.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
lol.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the 2.0 is the heart of the beast.
The rwd conversion came about because of the nightmare and expense that a FWD transmission was giving me.
Well I know I can get 400HP axles. just how much HP did you guys think the stock tranny could hold? Input shaft is good for 500 Crank HP possibly?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:59 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
The rwd conversion came about because of the nightmare and expense that a FWD transmission was giving me.
Wow, that makes it sound so simple.

"Well, its gonna be really tough to get a replacement for that stock tranny, so lets spend a year cutting the car apart and make it rear-wheel drive, so we can just slap a T56 in there"
Old 08-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1

"Well, its gonna be really tough to get a replacement for that stock tranny, so lets spend a year cutting the car apart and make it rear-wheel drive, so we can just slap a T56 in there"
Name 5 transmissions that could have been used to just bolt in to the cobalt and onto an LSJ engine that can handle 700 to 800 HP without snapping.

that does not make it simple but it does make it feasable, effort worth whille and to boot you solve some traction problems of a FWD dragster would have.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by ssnipes
Name 5 transmissions that could have been used to just bolt in to the cobalt and onto an LSJ engine that can handle 700 to 800 HP without snapping.

that does not make it simple but it does make it feasable, effort worth whille and to boot you solve some traction problems of a FWD dragster would have.
I know, but I would have to think that a custom race-built tranny would be easier, maybe not cheaper though, than the RWD conversion. Any tranny can be built into a strong enough package, he's only looking for 750 hp, not some 1500HP or something like that where your options become severly limited. Still, its an awesome project, and its gonna be hard to beat a RWD cobalt for originality!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:38 AM
Banned

I know, but I would have to think that a custom race-built tranny would be easier, maybe not cheaper though, than the RWD conversion. Any tranny can be built into a strong enough package, he's only looking for 750 hp, not some 1500HP or something like that where your options become severly limited. Still, its an awesome project, and its gonna be hard to beat a RWD cobalt for originality!
LOL I think Victory will chime in here and let you know what he found. I know he wants his car back and it was originally to be with the original tranny. I think he could have done a FWD auto, but I am pretty sure he wants a stick cause that is what makes our cars fun.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:48 AM

LOL I think Victory will chime in here and let you know what he found. I know he wants his car back and it was originally to be with the original tranny. I think he could have done a FWD auto, but I am pretty sure he wants a stick cause that is what makes our cars fun.
I know, I thought about that. If he was building a full-race drag car, no problem, make it auto. Since he wanted to preserve the Cobalt "fun to drive" factor, it had to stay stick. I don't know it was just somethign about that comment of this being easier that struk me as funny. I've heard things like that before, and they always end like this, as a MAJOR project. I know he covered all the bases before doing this, if there was a better option he would have chosen it. I've watched this from the beginning and applaud his efforts to build what he actually wants, and not just talk about it like the rest of us on here.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 AM

i couldnt imagine how much time and effort this project is taking victory. by the way i was thinking about it, how much can our stock tranny handle with slicks or without???
Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts

The decision to go RWD was actually the "simple" part.
RWD really does solve a lot of problems for my project. As ssnipes says rwd covers the transmission and the traction problems. Add to that the fun factor of driving rwd on a drag strip compared to the torque steer of the fwd.
Also consider what the Phase 5 Cobalts have done to have auto tranny's. The front is stretched and the engine is still turned. Then take Whitfields Cobalt, it has an auto race prepped tranny from GM, $25,000.US before installation.
Yes the main reason for the manual tranny is because I like driving a stick, plus I am not going racing to win championships so I would rather have the challenge of rowing through the gears.
Originally Posted by ridemlow03
i couldnt imagine how much time and effort this project is taking victory. by the way i was thinking about it, how much can our stock tranny handle with slicks or without???
The manual transmissions need to have the Quaife to hold bigger numbers. I talked to a Saab transmission expert in Seattle who said that even with treating the gears not to expect more than 400whp.
Considering the builds currently going on, it should not be too long before we see a couple of trannys fail as well as where they failed.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:30 AM

The manual transmissions need to have the Quaife to hold bigger numbers. I talked to a Saab transmission expert in Seattle who said that even with treating the gears not to expect more than 400whp.
Considering the builds currently going on, it should not be too long before we see a couple of trannys fail as well as where they failed.
im talking with out treating the gears?? sorry if it seems like im hijacking your thread but im curious. is that 400whp with slicks??
Old 08-13-2007, 12:03 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

im talking with out treating the gears?? sorry if it seems like im hijacking your thread but im curious. is that 400whp with slicks??
Because no one has done this yet, the people I talked to would only provide a professional guesstimate.
They were not willing to suggest trying that hp level on slicks because of the better chance of snapping parts. The biggest concern that has been repeatedly raised, is the amount of torque being put down.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:27 PM

Because no one has done this yet, the people I talked to would only provide a professional guesstimate.
They were not willing to suggest trying that hp level on slicks because of the better chance of snapping parts. The biggest concern that has been repeatedly raised, is the amount of torque being put down.
yeah cause im not looking to get anything crazy like you. i finally decided this morning im gonna throw a 2.9 on my gm stage 2 and call it a day. but i guess i will see how the tranny holds up with street slicks, light weight flywhee and stage 1 clutch. when you think yours is goin to be done???
Old 08-13-2007, 12:34 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

yeah cause im not looking to get anything crazy like you. i finally decided this morning im gonna throw a 2.9 on my gm stage 2 and call it a day. but i guess i will see how the tranny holds up with street slicks, light weight flywhee and stage 1 clutch. when you think yours is goin to be done???
It looks like some where around Christmas.
We are waiting for the new Strange front clip as well as the custom Strange rearend/4link/coilover setup. Once those are here, 4 weeks, then we are looking at 4 more weeks for the conversion to be completed.
Then it's engine/transmission/turbos install time with that taking 5-8 weeks until the car is ready for the paint shop, which will be another 3-4 weeks.
With that all said I should get my car back sometime this decade.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 PM

We are waiting for the new Strange front clip as well as the custom Strange rearend/4link/coilover setup. Once those are here, 4 weeks, then we are looking at 4 more weeks for the conversion to be completed.
Then it's engine/transmission/turbos install time with that taking 5-8 weeks until the car is ready for the paint shop, which will be another 3-4 weeks.
I think they will be cutting it close.
Gasoline may be a thing of the past by then, you may have to send it back for a Hydrogen conversion.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:39 PM

that should be a pretty good christmas present

what are you driving from a to b for now? you must miss the balt. is it your intention to drive this cobalt on a daily basis? or is it destined to be a trailer queen?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:41 PM

Strange is a very very good company when it comes to quality products. When i was rebuilding my 69 dart up i was gonna be using a strange rear end but just didnt have the money at the time. You will be happy with there products and good luck with it all.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:43 PM

and the HepKitty is waiting!

you the man daddy-o!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Banned

2.9 and GMS2 is a good build. but I would recommend you should get the dual pass going with it and put an extra Heat exchanger on too.

there is a build I know will get completed.....LOL

Originally Posted by chevysalesman614

what are you driving from a to b for now? you must miss the balt. is it your intention to drive this cobalt on a daily basis? or is it destined to be a trailer queen?
LOL I think a new thread needs to be done.

FAQ re: Victory Red SS build

Last edited by Asphalt Assault; 08-13-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-13-2007, 01:02 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by Matty
I think they will be cutting it close.
Gasoline may be a thing of the past by then, you may have to send it back for a Hydrogen conversion.
Propane will still be around, I could get one of those setups

what are you driving from a to b for now? you must miss the balt. is it your intention to drive this cobalt on a daily basis? YES
or is it destined to be a trailer queen? NO
While I do have a trailer, it will only be used for taking the car to the track (where ever that may be - see next quote ) I drive a '01 Silverado 2500HD for a daily driver, which was bought to pull the trailer. I will drive my car daily just not to work too often, because of the "idiot factor"
Originally Posted by LittleMT
and the HepKitty is waiting!

you the man daddy-o!
If I get to race the GTO I also get to race the Red SRT-4
Strange is a very very good company when it comes to quality products. When i was rebuilding my 69 dart up i was gonna be using a strange rear end but just didnt have the money at the time. You will be happy with there products and good luck with it all.
I have heard good things as well about Strange.
.......LOL I think a new thread needs to be done.

FAQ re: Victory Red SS build
Maybe we need to make that a sticky
Old 08-13-2007, 01:06 PM

Propane will still be around, I could get one of those setups
I know just where you can get a setup like that I will even give you a good deal on it.

Figure out the gears yet?

Last edited by Matty; 08-13-2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-13-2007, 01:13 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by Matty
I know just where you can get a setup like that I will even give you a good deal on it.

Figure out the gears yet?
I hope that deal is as good as what you got for all those parts from that Cobalt guy. :p
As for the gears, today we ordered a Auburn Pro Posi with 3:89's for the street and a spooling carrier with 4:30's for the track.

... you must miss the balt.
When I was in Toronto, Mev (JBP) let me drive his Cobalt SS/SC and that really was nice and sad at the same time. I liked driving Mev's but missed mine even more and then it occurred to me that even when I get the Cobalt back, it will be a totally different driving experience. Sadly my car will never be the same but I am thinking I will get over it after a while, maybe 5 seconds or so.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:13 PM

2.9 and GMS2 is a good build. but I would recommend you should get the dual pass going with it and put an extra Heat exchanger on too.

there is a build I know will get completed.....LOL
lol yeah i plan on all that already. after all that street slicks here i come and then broken tranny right after that. lol ohh well just put a lsd tranny in there i guess and learn my lesson. victory what ever you do make sure you put driveshaft loop in the front just incase you were to put too much power and snap it in the front. my brother said hes seen a couple cars almost flip over from the driveshafts dropping.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:18 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

lol yeah i plan on all that already. after all that street slicks here i come and then broken tranny right after that. lol ohh well just put a lsd tranny in there i guess and learn my lesson. victory what ever you do make sure you put driveshaft loop in the front just incase you were to put too much power and snap it in the front. my brother said hes seen a couple cars almost flip over from the driveshafts dropping.
We already have that covered because NHRA rules demand the driveshaft loop. I have also told the shop to order a second driveshaft simply on the off chance I drop one at the track. I would rather replace a complete shaft instead of just a U-joint and then get the dropped one checked out before using it again. On top of that because they will be custom driveshafts, I don't want to have to wait for a replacement.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:20 PM

I hope that deal is as good as what you got for all those parts from that Cobalt guy. :p
As for the gears, today we ordered a Auburn Pro Posi with 3:89's for the street and a spooling carrier with 4:30's for the track.

Yah the deal is taking time off.

You are going to swap the gears back and forth?

Quick Reply: victory_red_SS goes RWD