2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Well I finally did the air box mod and now I enjoy the wet weather.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I finally did the air box mod and now I enjoy the wet weather.

So after 10 years with the balt going through different CAI's. I thought I was too cool to ever put an airbox mod. My car has always been taken apart throughout the years so I had some flaps missing in the front and had a problem with driving in the rain. Car would sputter and surge if the filter got too wet, so I would have the car sit in the rainy cold weather and not drive it and drive the other car. Recently after cleaning my filter I started to get a too lean code. Checked all hoses and cleaned the mass it was ok. I was down to one car so I figured why not put the stock box back on but put a spectre filter on it and close the lid. So I did, found a filter that fit inside the airbox with the lid close now the car runs in rain.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:37 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
The airbox mod is superior to those shiny $200 tubes for the SS/SC.

It will support 300+whp.

For years I tired explaining this to people.

but what you did its really no better than just the K&N drop in for the SS/SC, which is a far better filter than those over the counter spectre fitlers.

A filter in the airbox is not the airbox mod. You will want to modify the box like I did for actual increased flow.

A hydroshield would have solved your filter getting wet when it rains issue.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 10-19-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:49 PM

Actually I have a big hole right next to where the air filter sits because I'm missing the stock sheild and could never get it to fit right again.

I actually always had a hydro sheild on my filters and still would have problems in the rain. I would get stranded in a parking lot and have to try to dry the filter enough to limp it home. The only thing with the k&n I heard some people say they wouldn't be able to close the lid on the box and frankly that's what I needed and didn't want to buy a new crappy paper air filter or the k&n was looking for a reusable filter with a dip in the cone so I can close the box. So I tried it and it worked.

I think I get enough air since I was throwing a lean code with the cai filter not even being wet now I'm able to drive fine. I was thinking of stratigicly putting holes in it but I wanted to make sure I can get through the rain first but I do I have cai for the summer.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by AngelTiger82
Actually I have a big hole right next to where the air filter sits because I'm missing the stock sheild and could never get it to fit right again. I actually always had a hydro sheild on my filters and still would have problems in the rain. I would get stranded in a parking lot and have to try to dry the filter enough to limp it home. The only thing with the k&n I heard some people say they wouldn't be able to close the lid on the box and frankly that's what I needed and didn't want to buy a new crappy paper air filter or the k&n was looking for a reusable filter with a dip in the cone so I can close the box. So I tried it and it worked. I think I get enogh air since I was throwing a lean code with the cai filter not even being wet now I'm able to drive fine. I was thinking of stratigicly putting holes in it but I wanted to make sure I can get through the rain first but I do I have cai for the summer.
The K&N E-0777 filter is a factory fit drop-in replacement. You can close the lid with it.

Just an FYI, the factory AC Delco paper filter supports over 300whp as well. Tested on my car.

Not knocking your decision or anything, just shooting you some real world testing/info from my experience.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:00 PM

Thanks I appriciate the info, I didn't know these stock in takes could handle 300hp that's what hopefully eventually my goal will be. Lol.

I didn't have to modify anything to put it in so I can always go and get K&n air filter but I didn't have 50$ and had to order it they didn't carry it at any of my autopart stores so this was a cheap option with rain coming the next day. It was an experiment.

Last edited by AngelTiger82; 10-19-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grats Tiger! I haven't gotten around to messing with that yet.. I'm not too experienced so I fear messing something up horribly.

Search this Thread