2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Engine Misfire and Oil Leak??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Misfire and Oil Leak??

Last night I was driving on the express way. I wasn't beating on the car or anything (Cruise control at 70mph) and out of no where, my CEL started flashing. I pulled off on the next exit which luckily was my exit, and took the car home. The car is shaking real bad so I feel like one of the cylinders is not firing. Im thinking maybe one of the coils went bad and that may be the cause, however, I lightly reved it a few times in the driveway to see if it would smoothen out and I notice smoke coming out of the engine compartment. I shut the car off and saw oil everywhere between the master cylinder and the valve cover. I have no idea why the car is puking up that much oil nor do I no where its coming from (I havent looked yet, this occured last night at 1130pm) but Im hoping it's nothing major. Im thinking it could just be a clogged pcv valve, but on the other hand, I have installed a catch can before the pcv so I find it hard to believe it would get clogged. Maybe I threw the spark plug out of the head? I feel like that would require me beating on it, also if it's like my other cars, if the spark plug came out wouldnt I hear the air pressure coming out of it? I really havent looked at it yet and Im stressing out about it. Just wondering if anyone has had similar problems and what exactly needed to be fixed in this case. Its a 2005 cobalt by the way, almost 100% stock with a zzp CAI. 103,xxx miles
Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be many things. You need to investigate more
Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by hopewillfall
Last night I was driving on the express way. I wasn't beating on the car or anything (Cruise control at 70mph) and out of no where, my CEL started flashing. I pulled off on the next exit which luckily was my exit, and took the car home. The car is shaking real bad so I feel like one of the cylinders is not firing. Im thinking maybe one of the coils went bad and that may be the cause, however, I lightly reved it a few times in the driveway to see if it would smoothen out and I notice smoke coming out of the engine compartment. I shut the car off and saw oil everywhere between the master cylinder and the valve cover. I have no idea why the car is puking up that much oil nor do I no where its coming from (I havent looked yet, this occured last night at 1130pm) but Im hoping it's nothing major. Im thinking it could just be a clogged pcv valve, but on the other hand, I have installed a catch can before the pcv so I find it hard to believe it would get clogged. Maybe I threw the spark plug out of the head? I feel like that would require me beating on it, also if it's like my other cars, if the spark plug came out wouldnt I hear the air pressure coming out of it? I really havent looked at it yet and Im stressing out about it. Just wondering if anyone has had similar problems and what exactly needed to be fixed in this case. Its a 2005 cobalt by the way, almost 100% stock with a zzp CAI. 103,xxx miles
this is the performance section not my car is broken section that is located here Problems/Service/Maintenance - Cobalt SS Network I suggest you ask these types of questions over there

do a leak down test and check and see if the dipstick is popped its not a pcv problem