2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

05 Cobalt Cam Shaft Position Sensor ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 Cobalt Cam Shaft Position Sensor ??

So last night the wife and I were driving home and her car just out of no wheres died instantly while we were driving. It will not restart at all. It just rolls over non stop. It now has a code P0340 which says it is a Cam Shaft Position Sensor. The problem I have with this is. That the information regarding its location and weather or not an 05 2.2L even has a cam sesor seems to be mixed. Some people say it is at the end of the cams. Some say it is down by the water pump, others say the ecu is |referring to the Crank Position Sensor. And that it is located directly under the oil filter housing. And is a 2 term connector. If it is indeed the crank shaft sensor and not a cam sensor. Then why wouldn't the code just say CRANK SENSOR and not cam sensor. Either way. Is anyone able to help me out and tell me if im after a cam sensor or a crank sensor and its location based on the code P0340. Thanks
Old 08-14-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QuickSilver_SS
So last night the wife and I were driving home and her car just out of no wheres died instantly while we were driving. It will not restart at all. It just rolls over non stop. It now has a code P0340 which says it is a Cam Shaft Position Sensor. The problem I have with this is. That the information regarding its location and weather or not an 05 2.2L even has a cam sesor seems to be mixed. Some people say it is at the end of the cams. Some say it is down by the water pump, others say the ecu is |referring to the Crank Position Sensor. And that it is located directly under the oil filter housing. And is a 2 term connector. If it is indeed the crank shaft sensor and not a cam sensor. Then why wouldn't the code just say CRANK SENSOR and not cam sensor. Either way. Is anyone able to help me out and tell me if im after a cam sensor or a crank sensor and its location based on the code P0340. Thanks
I just replaced mine on my 2009 G5 a few months ago. There's an intake and exhaust camshaft position sensor/solenoid. They're both sitting on top of the engine on the passenger side next to cylinder one. On my car at least. They cost me about $40 each on Amazon. Hope that helps you out.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:15 AM

Well i replaced the crank sensor with another one feom a scrap hard from the same year car with a lot less milage. The car still wont even try to start. And i cant hear the fuel pump run at all anymore when i first turn the key. Also there is no pressure at all at the fuel rail. I have read that some bad sensors can shut power down to the fuel pump ? Is this true at all ? Or do i still have a bad fuel pump ?
Old 08-16-2016, 08:04 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by QuickSilver_SS
Well i replaced the crank sensor with another one feom a scrap hard from the same year car with a lot less milage. The car still wont even try to start. And i cant hear the fuel pump run at all anymore when i first turn the key. Also there is no pressure at all at the fuel rail. I have read that some bad sensors can shut power down to the fuel pump ? Is this true at all ? Or do i still have a bad fuel pump ?
First thing to do is check and see if you have power to the fuel pump. I wouldn't think it would be a bad sensor cutting power to fuel pump. If you check power to the pump it will eliminate that possibility.

I just had a fuel pump go out in my truck recently. Acted pretty much the same as yours is here. My old pump had been ready to go for a while now and made a good bit of noise when it was running. As soon as it went out it still made noise but it was a different noise.

If you have power to the pump and it isn't running it would be my guess that most likely you need a new pump. Replace the fuel filter as well.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:48 AM

So as it tunred out it was a grounding piont in behind the motor was corroded and wasnt making contact at all anymore. It shut down the power to the ignition module. So no spark at all. As well as shut down the fuel pump. Allnwe had to do was clean the ground up. Put it back on. Started right up. Been running great for 2 weeks now. Thank god. Lol... The wife had to keep driving my SS/TC everyday. Lol...