• Individual Coil-on-Plug Ignition
• Vented Starter Solenoid
• New MAP Sensor
• New Intake Manifold Seals
• New Oil Filter Element
• Improved Emissions Performance

Full Description of New and Updated Features

Gen II Engine Block
The Ecotec 2.2L starts with a refined engine block, introduced for 2006 with the Ecotec 2.4L VVT (RPO LE5). The Gen II block was developed with data acquired in racing programs and the latest math-based tools. Both the bore walls and bulkheads, or the structural elements that support the crank bearings, have been strengthened, with only a minimal weight increase (approximately 2.5 pounds). The coolant jackets have been expanded, allowing more precise bore roundness and improving the block’s ability to dissipate heat. Coolant capacity increases approximately .5 liter.

The cylinder block is the engine’s foundation, and crucial to its durability, output and smooth operation. For GM, the common Gen II Ecotec block increases assembly efficiency. For the customer, the result is more efficient cooling, more strength to accommodate additional power, as in the new Ecotec 2.0L direct-injection Turbo (RPO LNF) and better noise, vibration and harshness control.

Cylinder Head Improvements
The Ecotec 2.2L also benefits from cylinder head refinements introduced on the 2.4L VVT. The exhaust ports have been enlarged slightly with machining improvements to expel exhaust gas more efficiently. Both engines share a common nodular cast iron exhaust manifold, chosen for its durability and sound-deadening properties. The improvements to the cylinder head increase Ecotec 2.2L horsepower slightly in most applications (see specs).

New Camshaft Design
The exhaust cam has been re-profiled to take advantage of refinements in the cylinder head. Maximum exhaust valve lift does not change, but duration increases slightly. The cams also feature a new 4X timing reluctor, replacing timing sensors previously contained in the ignition-coil cassette (see Individual Coil-On-Plug ignition, below). The powder metal reluctor wheel is pressed onto the camshaft at the rear. The 4X reluctor improves ignition timing accuracy and maintains precise consistency over the life of the engine.

Individual Coil-On-Plug Ignition
The Ecotec 2.2.L is equipped with individual coil-on-plug ignition, or four separate coils. Each coil sits directly over a spark plug, with no wire in between. Previous Ecotec 2.2Ls had two coils in a single cassette, with each coil shared by two spark plugs. Individual coil-on-plug delivers maximum voltage and the most consistent spark density. The 2.2L’s cast aluminum cam cover has been redesigned to accommodate the four coils.

E37 Engine Control Module
An advanced controller manages the multitude of operations that occur within the Ecotec 2.2L every split second. The E37 is the S-3 Controller within GM’s new family of three engine control modules (ECM) that will direct nearly all the engines in Powertrain’s line-up. The E37 is the high-value variant, yet it’s anything but basic. It features 32-bit processing, compared to the conventional 16-bit processing in previous Ecotec 2.2Ls. It operates at 59 MHz, with 32 megabytes of flash memory, 128 kilobytes of RAM and a high-speed CAN bus, and it synchronizes several dozen functions, from spark timing to cruise control operation to traction control calculations. The E37 works roughly 50 times faster than the first computers used on internal combustion engines in the late 1970s, which managed five or six functions.

The family strategy behind GM’s new ECMs allows engineers to apply standard manufacturing, software and service procedures to all powertrains, and quickly upgrade certain engine technologies and calibration capabilities while leaving others alone. It creates both assembly and procurement efficiencies, as well as volume sourcing. In short, it creates a solid, flexible, efficient foundation, allowing engineers to focus on innovations and get them to market more quickly. The family of controllers means the ECM and corresponding connectors can be packaged and mounted identically in virtually every GM vehicle. Powertrain creates all the software for the three ECMs, which share a common language and hardware interface that’s tailored to each vehicle.

The E37 also applies a new, rate-based monitoring protocol sometimes known as run-at-rate diagnostics. Rate-based diagnostics improve the robustness of the Onboard Diagnostics System (OBD II) and ensure optimal performance of emissions control systems. The new software increases the frequency at which the ECM checks various Ecotec 2.2L systems, and particularly emissions-control systems such as the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors. Rate-based diagnostics more reliably monitor real-world operation of these systems, and allow regulatory agencies to more easily measure and certify emissions compliance.

58X Crankshaft Reluctor Ring
The Ecotec 2.2L has an advanced 58X crankshaft position encoder to ensure that ignition timing is accurate throughout its operating range. The 58X ignition system uses a unique crankshaft ring and sensor to provide the new E37 ECM more immediate information on the crankshaft’s position during rotation. This allows the controller to adjust ignition timing with greater precision, which optimizes performance and economy. Engine starting also is more consistent with reduced crank time. The powder metal 58X reluctor ring is bolted to a crankshaft counterweight.

Digital Crank and Cam Sensors
New digital sensors are common with the Ecotec 2.4L VVT and, with the 4X intake cam and 58X crank reluctors along with the new E37 ECM, they complete the ignition timing loop. This dual-position sensing system ensures extremely accurate timing for the life of the engine.

Vented Starter Solenoid
A new starter solenoid helps ensure starting performance in extreme cold temperatures. The solenoid case now has a micromesh-covered vent and an O-ring between the case and the starter motor. The mesh protects the solenoid from debris particles but prevents moisture buildup in the case. When the Ecotec 2.2L is warm, any moisture on the solenoid evaporates through the vent. The vented solenoid virtually eliminates the possibility of cold-start problems associated with solenoid icing.

New MAP Sensor
An advanced manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor completes upgrades to the Ecotec 2.2L’s control system. The MAP sensor is a variable resistor used to monitor the difference between atmospheric and manifold pressure, which tends to increase when the engine is operating under a higher load or at wide-open throttle. The ECM uses information from the MAP sensor to adjust spark timing and fuel delivery to optimize performance and minimize emissions. The new MAP sensor improves fidelity, or accuracy, and takes full advantage of the E37 ECM’s capabilities.

New Intake Manifold Seals
The Ecotec 2.2L is equipped with new intake manifold and throttle body sealing gaskets manufactured from a fluorocarbon material. The new gaskets are more resistant to most chemicals, for maximum durability, and particularly impermeable to hydrocarbon molecules. Gasoline vapor cannot penetrate the new seals, virtually eliminating evaporative emissions.

New Oil Filter Element
The paper element in the Ecotec 2.2L oil filter has been improved. The engine’s innovative filter design uses a replaceable cartridge without the conventional metal filter can, which traps waste oil that can not easily be removed. The cartridge can also be changed from under the hood, without getting under the car, and it virtually eliminates spillage during replacement. The new element filters particles from the oil more effectively without disrupting oil flow.

Improved Emissions Performance
The Ecotec 2,2L now meets BIN5 tailpipe emissions mandates in all applications. To achieve this standard, the mix of precious metals in the catalytic converter has been reformulated. Metals such as platinum, palladium and rhodium in the converter’s catalytic substrate create the chemical reaction that turns the majority of exhaust emissions into harmless gases and water vapor. With the new intake sealing gaskets, the 2.2L also meets PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle) Enhanced Evaporation standards.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS
2007 2.2 Horsepower Torque Levels (all SAE CERTIFIED in 2007) are as follows:
Application: Horsepower: hp ( kW ) Torque: lb-ft. ( Nm )
Chevy Cobalt 148 hp (110 kW) @ 5600 rpm 152 lb.-ft. ( 206 Nm ) @ 4200 rpm
Pontiac G5 148 hp (110 kW) @ 5600 rpm 152 lb.-ft. ( 206 Nm ) @ 4200 rpm
Chevy HHR 149 hp (111 kW) @ 5600 rpm 152 lb.-ft. ( 206 Nm ) @ 4200 rpm
Chevy Malibu 145 hp (108 kW) @ 5600 rpm 152 lb.-ft. ( 206 Nm ) @ 4200 rpm
Saturn VUE 144 hp (107 kW) @ 5600 rpm 149 lb.-ft. ( 202 Nm ) @ 4200 rpm
Saturn ION 145 hp (108 kW) @ 5600 rpm 150 lb.-ft. ( 203 Nm ) @ 4200 rpm
Old 08-19-2006, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the 2.2 really benefitted this year
Old 08-19-2006, 02:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting. Good find.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:55 AM
Banned

I like that the 2.2 is built off the same strenghts you can benefit from the 2.4. Honestly I know there are small differences between each motor but to carry uniqueness between each motor in terms of displacement is outstanding. The Ecotec is truely an awesome motor platform not to be underestimated.

I like how without throwing any hints out they say it can handle more power being thrown at it. Almost like they are begging someone to throw F/I at it.

Gen II Engine Block
The Ecotec 2.2L starts with a refined engine block, introduced for 2006 with the Ecotec 2.4L VVT (RPO LE5). The Gen II block was developed with data acquired in racing programs and the latest math-based tools. Both the bore walls and bulkheads, or the structural elements that support the crank bearings, have been strengthened, with only a minimal weight increase (approximately 2.5 pounds). The coolant jackets have been expanded, allowing more precise bore roundness and improving the block’s ability to dissipate heat. Coolant capacity increases approximately .5 liter.

The cylinder block is the engine’s foundation, and crucial to its durability, output and smooth operation. For GM, the common Gen II Ecotec block increases assembly efficiency. For the customer, the result is more efficient cooling, more strength to accommodate additional power, as in the new Ecotec 2.0L direct-injection Turbo (RPO LNF) and better noise, vibration and harshness control.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:04 AM

If they even crack the E37 ECM before they crack the E16, I will ******* strangle someone
The following users liked this post:
Brian66 (12-21-2022)
Old 08-19-2006, 08:25 AM

I wish I had waited for a 2007 , sounds like they have made significant improvments.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:20 AM

Sounds like we may be swaping the new 2.2's into our cars.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HackAbuse
If they even crack the E37 ECM before they crack the E16, I will ******* strangle someone
that ecu is even more complicated than the e16, wouldnt count on it
Old 08-19-2006, 10:34 AM

Any word on the effect this will have on fuel efficiency, I would imagine that it would have to go up. Also, does this mean that the 2.2 will have VVT now?
Old 08-19-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kahless
that ecu is even more complicated than the e16, wouldnt count on it
i dont think its the complexity of the ecu its the fact that the map sensor and the ecu itself
cant see past one bar of pressure.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:16 AM

I'd be very interested to see if this new version of the L61 has revised fuel economy values. Several of the items mentioned seemed to refer to efficiency and emissions.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 PM

so the 07's are speed density am i reading that right?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i was under the impression that was the same as the ECM in the current 2.4. which means you don't have to crack it... i only think that because it uses the newer diag port
Old 08-21-2006, 11:15 PM

Second that
Old 08-22-2006, 12:10 AM
Former Vendor

I'm happy to see the L61 'catch up' with the advancements made in the other Ecotecs. But don't count out the existing engine...we've been cranking them up for years without issue. They just made an already good thing even better!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:16 AM

So with your expierience, do they normally fail at 250hp with stock internals, or how far can they be pushed?
Old 08-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Former Vendor

So with your expierience, do they normally fail at 250hp with stock internals, or how far can they be pushed?
Oh, gosh no...we've run them to 300 HP right regularly, with some of our more daring customers in excess of that. Although, I will add, the ones who've gone past 300 on a regular basis do ultimately need to go in and upgrade the internals. But they knew that going in, so it's not a disappointment when the time comes. Nice thing is, with just rod and piston upgrades, they will go 450-500 HP dependably.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:30 AM

I just dont want to listen to the sound of all four rods snapping simultaneously when I test the limits of my nitrous
Old 08-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Former Vendor

I just dont want to listen to the sound of all four rods snapping simultaneously when I test the limits of my nitrous
Well, you've likely heard it all before, but nitrous is definitely harder on the rods than turbocharging. I can see your concern!

My advice? Take the cash you save doing nitrous instead of a turbo, and put it into the motor. Then spray at will! I don't see anywhere where this revised L61 will have forged rods instead of powdered metal, so the nitrous 'fuse' will still be in there (or is it four nitrous fuses?)
Old 08-22-2006, 03:51 AM

i'd kinda like to see it when it does.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm old school

Pics of changes

The new valve cover with the new coil-on-plug ignition. The cover is very plain. It has no smooth edges or contoured surfaces. Its very angular and really not very pretty. And while the ignition system is better, it's just ugly.

The new E37 ECM. 32-bit processing, there ya go.

A new Brake line manifold, just something else I saw while poking around under the hood. The older models have the anti-lock brake unit located there, so I'm assuming the new cars have a different kind of brake system.

Last edited by Halfcent; 08-22-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:23 PM

Eww, I like our ignition better, its much more clean
Old 08-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by joeworkstoohard
i was under the impression that was the same as the ECM in the current 2.4. which means you don't have to crack it... i only think that because it uses the newer diag port
No, the 2.4 uses the E67 ECM
Eww, I like our ignition better, its much more clean
Visually maybe but in general COP> CSI
WOT
Old 08-22-2006, 04:44 PM

LOL Hack stop being so paranoid, stick with a 75 shot or under like we've gone over and you're money. if you're really that worried like Bill said go and build your bottom end up and you'll have more peace of mind.

Sweet improvements for sure, stronger from the factory is what I like to hear.

Quick Reply: 2007 2.2 L61 Revisions