2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

L61 Turbo/Super (forced induction) Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05BlackCobaltSS
Yep, the IRL is dead, and the SS/SC will be gone after Oct./Nov. possibly sooner. Like Halfcent said LNF>LSJ FTW!
yea people are gonna hate me but what the dizzle???
Old 12-05-2006, 11:20 PM

cobalt/ ss sc last year

well i heard from the dealership one of the service managers actually told methat the last year for the SS/ SC was 07 and the reason is the cost of making the engine is too high for GM/ also for the fact that is made in europe.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
updated
Old 12-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by venechamito
well i heard from the dealership one of the service managers actually told methat the last year for the SS/ SC was 07 and the reason is the cost of making the engine is too high for GM/ also for the fact that is made in europe.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but thats not true. Never listen to a service manager. They dont know **** to be honest. They only go off what a Field Service Engineer tells them for mass problems and what Techs. in the dealership tell them. All a service manager does is direct traffic, order around service writers, and bitch out customers or sometimes help them and bitch out techs.

Fact of the matter is NO ONE in ANY Dealership knows ANYTHING About what GM is going to do car/engine wise.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by artawesome
well while we wait for our F/I and tuning, now would be a great time to ask what should we do to our 2.2s to get it ready for F/I?

if you change out you rods and pistons with forged you can safely hold up to 300hp. but a few people told me you also have to get bigger injectors and fuel pump.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rabbit Eye
if you change out you rods and pistons with forged you can safely hold up to 300hp. but a few people told me you also have to get bigger injectors and fuel pump.
Yes. Read up on other 2.2 ECOTEC turbocharged cars. Frankly, the only difference is computers. Everything else is RELEVATELY the same concept.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:50 PM

Just finished reading all 6 pages of this thread. Thought I would throw some comments out there.

I have personally driven an STS powered GTO. Boost started to build at 1600 RPM and was at full boost before 2200. Exhaust gas velocity is at its highest towards the tailpipe. The STS kits spool hard, and I mean very hard. Lag is also reduced because there isnt a neccesity for an intercooler. The length of the piping running under the car acts as a natural intercooler. The oil is returned into the oil fill cap by a pump mounted back by the turbo. On the GTO, all oil lines were braided stainless steel. I had no worries about hitting the oil line with something and breaking it.
Also, unless you have driven a turbo car, you may not now that a turbo acts like a natural silencer. I run my 300ZX with an unmuffled turbocharger and its sounds amazing, and absolutly quite. Open wastegates however are a different story. Just imagine driving around with only the header pipe connected.
Service managers know jack ****, Salesman know jack ****, and everyone else in a dealership but technicians actually know jack **** about cars. Technicians dont know **** about upcoming models either, but they know more about your radio features then your salesmen did. Trust me on that one.
Turbocharging any one vehicle is the same as any other vehicle. The limiting factor on how much boost you can run in a Cobalt is going to be the compression ratio. I know BMW gets away with running 6psi on an 11.0 compression vehicle.
Since everyone is talking about Maximum Boost, another one to stay away from is SSAutochrome, or any ebayer that sells SSAutochrome stuff. There turbos are junk and they DO NOT use garret internals in them. Ive had a couple Z buddies make the mistake of buying from them and ended up having to spend another 600 on a new turbocharger. Turbos are something where you spend the money and buy a quality peice once.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but thats not true. Never listen to a service manager. They dont know **** to be honest. They only go off what a Field Service Engineer tells them for mass problems and what Techs. in the dealership tell them. All a service manager does is direct traffic, order around service writers, and bitch out customers or sometimes help them and bitch out techs.

Fact of the matter is NO ONE in ANY Dealership knows ANYTHING About what GM is going to do car/engine wise.
And what makes you think you know more than the service manager?

and why do people think lnf>lsj anyways?

they both produce within 15hp of eachother, but the lsj on 7psi LESS. the LNF is DI, so good look doing injector swaps there, or altering the fuel system at all, boost-a-pumps aren't gonna work at 2000+psi of fuel pressure. THe LSJ starts building power earlier as well.

but that is kidn of off topic, sorry, I just realized this is the L61 thread.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:31 PM

Some service managers know stuff because they have to take courses and monthly updates.

Technicans take monthly courses dealing with new releases, etc. Service personal have to as well as warranty, etc. This is how DaimlerChrysler works not sure how similar Chevrolet is.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:21 AM

some salesmen do know what they are talking about. the salesman that sold me my car is a friend of mine, and he can tell you the horsepower, 0-60, braking distance, weight, just about any performance question you can think of for any vehicle on their lot, and if for some reason he doesn't know the answer he knows who to call that does know.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm old school

updated
Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 AM

racegas is not good for daily driving it'll tear your car apart. It's also not good for the environment hence why you cant use it on streets.End of story.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by venechamito
Completely not true. The SS will live on way past 07

But what would I know, I just work at GM and can pull up drawing on cars 5 years in the future

Originally Posted by sunhawk08
racegas is not good for daily driving it'll tear your car apart. It's also not good for the environment hence why you cant use it on streets.End of story.
What's wrong with high octane gas? It will NOT tear your car apart at all.

Unless your thinking of leaded race gas, but not all race gas is leaded. Leaded race gas will foul your O2 sensors, but that's about it.

Last edited by NoRemorse; 01-24-2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-24-2007, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hes not talking about hi octane street fuel, hes talking about race fuel...as in a fuel not comprised oh hydro carbons

i think racing fuel is made of nitromethanes
Old 01-24-2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
hes not talking about hi octane street fuel, hes talking about race fuel...as in a fuel not comprised oh hydro carbons

i think racing fuel is made of nitromethanes
Got ya. I should have read more.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
since when is race gas not street legal??? turn down the hatred on the possible kits HC. some people might feel the need to run 114 octane in their car all the time for the sake of appeasing the gods of speed. the guy with the 1300hp ford GT runs 116 in his car all the time. its street legal. and not passing emissions is only a problem in a few places. there are no emissions laws in texas where i live so id have no problems. altho in counties with more than 250,000 people i believe they do have to pass emissions here. but i dont live there
Old 01-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm old school

I have addressed the legality of race gas for use on the street before. The main reason is taxes. Race gas, not distributed by a retail gas pump, is not properly taxed by the government.

You may think thats a weak arguement, but it's a real one.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
they have it coming out of pumps in academy near the drag strip here. i never looked or asked if it was taxed. i imagine it is if its coming from a gas station, but maybe not. gotta make a trip up there to get 10gallons of 114 for my 65 to get it breathing again.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:00 PM

bottom line. Thou shalt not mess with Halfcent. He knows his stuff.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:41 AM

hey guys i know i am a little late on this thread but i have a question i need to get answered, i am looking at getting the Alpine turbo kit for my LS 2.2 Sedan... if i am correct i believe that the turbo kit will have headers with it for the turbo to be installed with right?? so what all would i have to have from headers back to the catback exhaust because i already have a DC sports catback exhaust... can anyone help me?? and whenever i get the turbo installed would the ECU have to be flashed... if so, will the people that install it flash the ecu or will i have to do it myself... any help would be great guys!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:40 PM

you already answered your own question. you said you have a catback exhaust already...did you have to change any piping before you cat for this exhaust...no...the same piping will/can be used for this application....however on larger turbo applications people often increase the whole piping diameter from the exhaust manifold's down pipe to 3+"s. Doing this will decrease the amount of backpressure from the turbo increasing life and decreasing boost lag(slightly). Also decreasing the amount of "bends" in your exhaust will achieve the same effect but not as much. But to answer your original question your factory exhaust will work...even your cat back.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm old school

First, when you have a turbo, your have a turbo manifold. Not headers. And if you did have a header, you would only have one. The turbo manifold may or may not line up with the stock downpipe. The downpipe is the part that connects the manifold to the rest of your exhaust. In your case, the Cat Back. Worst case senario is you have to have a downpipe made. Any exhaust shop can do that.

The rest of your questions can be answered by reading post number one.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Banned

For those who are concerned about the auto tranny, the only real problems I can see is the increased heat, which a regular universal tranny cooler would fix.

Half Cent, youve looked around the car and obviously ready for a turbo.

Do you think a Individual Runner manifold would fit?

Last edited by Halfcent; 03-24-2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-24-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm old school

Do mean like the GM racing or Hahn designs?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:44 AM

I saw that SCT was working on the 2.2's, but I had no idea that they meant the E16's only.

Does that mean that it will only tune the 2005-2006 models? What about us 2007's?

Quick Reply: L61 Turbo/Super (forced induction) Information Thread