2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

L61 Turbo/Super (forced induction) Information Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cobaltdriver07
...do shops use this program or is it somethiung id have to do on my own.
Both. If you don't know how to use it, then don't. The package costs around $600. You should have some specific goal that you need the tuning for. Then, just bring to a shop that uses HPT and let them make the change for much cheaper.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when you say a tuning plan what do you mean by that i know it may sound stupid me asking that but i dont know much about cars other than appearence.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:53 PM

now the thing I don't know is if we get the tcm tuned through hpt tuners(assuming it's a canned tune) for use with a forced induction application, what changes are we going to have to make, if any, if we decide to up the boost?

I'm not too familiar with tcm tuning but I'm guessing we need to change some sort of value set to the pressure modulation. Would a single change be a "one size fits all" deal or would it only work for a specific turbo kit?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
now the thing I don't know is if we get the tcm tuned through hpt tuners(assuming it's a canned tune) for use with a forced induction application, what changes are we going to have to make, if any, if we decide to up the boost?

I'm not too familiar with tcm tuning but I'm guessing we need to change some sort of value set to the pressure modulation. Would a single change be a "one size fits all" deal or would it only work for a specific turbo kit?
HPT won't release a canned tune, they have a program that allows you to tune the car yourself, or for a shop to tune it using the program.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm old school

There seems to be some confusion about what HPT is. It doesn't have any pre-designed tunes in it for you ready to use. It’s an editor. It just allows you access to the computers on your car so that you can make changes to it. It's like a scalpel to a surgeon. You want to fix the brain, but you have to get to it first. Similarly, once you get in there, if you don't know what you are doing, you can very quickly mess up that brain and turn it into a babbling idiot.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:34 PM

ok so they send you a cd with the software so you can access it through a computer. gotcha. I was told that they actually send you the tune... Just another lesson not to believe everything you read on the internet. lol
Old 08-17-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm old school

Actually, they send you software and hardware. The package comes with the software, and a USB interface cable to plug into your OBD2 port.

There are companies out there that do make canned tunes, like Intense. How that works is you send them your ECM and then they reflash it in their shop using their designed tune. Then they ship it back to you. Guess what they use to do that? HPT.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Actually, they send you software and hardware. The package comes with the software, and a USB interface cable to plug into your OBD2 port.

There are companies out there that do make canned tunes, like Intense. How that works is you send them your ECM and then they reflash it in their shop using their designed tune. Then they ship it back to you. Guess what they use to do that? HPT.
yea I know how a flash tune works. That's cool they send you the cable too... but I've already got one. When I started using megasquirt on my neon a few years back I had my friend send me baselines and such via email since I didn't really know how to tune and I would just upload them with my computer. I thought that's what hpt was doing for a sec.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:14 AM

No new info, for a guy who has a 2.2 2006 Auto Sedan
Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 AM

Not that I know of.. Not that I have the dough lol.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:58 AM

aight i'm new to this forum but i got big plans for my 07 Cobalt LS, right now i'm working on a forced induction (turbo) system for my car (completely custom one of a kind nobody else will have it) it involves me taking the td04 from a WRX and making a standard log type turbo header that will mount to it and to the cobalt along with my own downpipe etc. (of course some of you will ask "why" but i assure you it's because i want to go through the trouble of making a one of a kind ride and it gives me a better chance to understand the dynamics of forced induction (instead of a bolt on kit which isn't really any work) i am a welder/machinist by trade so manufacture of parts isn't an issue. The only thing i am going to have trouble with is the tuning part. What tuning handheld/software etc. should i get for the tuning. (currently nobody here where i'm at can tune the cobalts) i plan on running about 9-10psi before i replace all internals with forged internals and go for a bigger turbo then jumping to probably 15-18psi maybe more. so if somebody could help me find what i can use to tune the car, that would be awesome.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm old school

You sir are in the same boat as all the rest of us, no tuning. You have an 07, so you have a "chance" that HPT might be supporting your ECM in their future. But if they don't, you are stuck doing the piggyback route like the rest of us.

Are you an automatic or a manual?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Halfcent
You sir are in the same boat as all the rest of us, no tuning. You have an 07, so you have a "chance" that HPT might be supporting your ECM in their future. But if they don't, you are stuck doing the piggyback route like the rest of us.

Are you an automatic or a manual?
hey halfcent, the 2007 guys may be in the same boat as us 05 and 06 guys. if you look in the 2.0 LNF section and read the chart. the L61 in 2009 will be changed to the LAP so id expect a different PCM for a new engine code.

so just letting everyone know NOT to get hopes up. crazy gm with changing PCM's halfway and changing engine codes now. 05 and 06 have one. 07 and 08 have another. and now 2009 is going to offer a totally different engine code.

lmao were gonna have to add a new section in 2 years to the site for the LAP.

talk about getting PWN3D
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 AM

of course i would have a 5spd...hmmz looks like i'm going to have to pull some strings and get a company to really really consider letting one go...if not i'll get some of my contacts together and see what we can do....don't wanna do piggyback not really emissions friendly nor could i pass the test with that, i'd have to pull it out and return it to stock before inspection time lol....HPT sent me an email last night saying that possibly would carry one in the future but i doubt it...and Hahn (the self righteous ****** they are) will NOT sell just the fuel management system and the SCT tuner for the 07's...instead they want you to buy the entire kit when i have the entire kit laying in the trunk of my car with no tuning capability....i'll get in touch with some people i know...maybe they can help...
Old 10-24-2007, 11:40 PM

halfcent. I want to see to see a build of an 06 2.2 Auto with the piggyback with numbers and how tos. Where is that. I know some have done it on here since I have used the search function, but now one has been kind enough to share lessons learned and maybe even a solid blueprint for putting a turbo in our cobalts. This is all we have so lets master it. Share guys! I know there is a lot of experience on here.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 AM

i know that the automatics have been turbocharged but i do believe it's not the best idea. then you get into the dynamics of transmission shift times (don't wanna blow the tranny or the head)...B&M offers a decent shift kit from what i'm told but it's still not that simple...more tuning is required to get it to run like it's supposed to...but i am working on something that some people can do in their spare time for a custom turbo setup...LOW BUDGET set up...including building your own header....my set up will be called the FrankenBalt because the turbo i'm using came off a subaru and the intercooler set up i am going to use came off an eclipse gst (intercooler had to go under heavy modification for top mount purposes) along with install, pics, and numbers but i do have a manual tranny...
Old 10-25-2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by FacelessKhaos
i know that the automatics have been turbocharged but i do believe it's not the best idea. then you get into the dynamics of transmission shift times (don't wanna blow the tranny or the head)...B&M offers a decent shift kit from what i'm told but it's still not that simple...more tuning is required to get it to run like it's supposed to...but i am working on something that some people can do in their spare time for a custom turbo setup...LOW BUDGET set up...including building your own header....my set up will be called the FrankenBalt because the turbo i'm using came off a subaru and the intercooler set up i am going to use came off an eclipse gst (intercooler had to go under heavy modification for top mount purposes) along with install, pics, and numbers but i do have a manual tranny...
Khaos- It is nice to see someone put in some effort to do this. It will be an awesome read and will probably become a benchmark for others that want to go turbo.

Personally I am running the shift kit already along with CA intake, exhaust mani, exhaust, and I get some good performance now. The best upgrade is the wing of course, that makes me look fast! haha

I want to go turbo!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm old school

of course i would have a 5spd
Why is that "of course"?

...hmmz looks like i'm going to have to pull some strings and get a company to really really consider letting one go...if not i'll get some of my contacts together and see what we can do....
What contacts would those be? HPT's potential release is only because they already have the E67 ECM cracked on another GM platform, and they only have to validate it for the Cobalt. Why they haven't yet is a mystery to me.

don't wanna do piggyback not really emissions friendly nor could i pass the test with that, i'd have to pull it out and return it to stock before inspection time lol....
That would depend on your state. In Illinois, as long as you don't have any codes and the dyno run is clean, you're fine.

Hahn (the self righteous ****** they are) will NOT sell just the fuel management system and the SCT tuner for the 07's
There is no such thing. The L61 kit is for the 2005-06 only, is made by Garrett, and Hahn is simply a retailer. The Hahn kit made using the Garrett Tuner kit is for the LE5 engines, and uses an HPT produced flash tune developed by Hahn.

Last edited by Halfcent; 10-26-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:33 PM

whoa...hahn has the 07 kit...just released...it's not on the site yet but i assure you that they have it...i guy that i know can get it for around 3800 (or something like that)...true that Hahn uses Garrett turbos, but Hahn itself is a developer...how do you think the SRT-4 came about? Bill Hahn Jr. developed the turbo system and Dodge got word of his turbo powered neons which thus inspired the dodge engineers to develop the srt-4 series (not the srt series)....and Hahn isn't using HPT, they are using SCT like the Garrett Kits..."This kit is now available from Hahn RaceCraft. The kit is complete, comes with a SCT handheld tuner, and is easy to install. Order yours today." <--for the 06's....and for the "of course" part...i didn't mean to come off as a smart ass but it's common knowledge that if you want to run forced induction, a manual is better off. (i thought of that more as like a lil joke lol)...contacts i have many of... i do work for the gov't and what some companies don't release to the public they release to the gov't..it's easier to get knowledge of what is coming out first rather than hear about it last lol...i know in NC though...unless you know somebody...emissions is can be pretty strict...and i'm still waiting on an email from SCT about if they are going to release the software and handheld to the public.

as far as that you can ask away...almost done with the shorty log type turbo header...just got to final weld the pipes to the header flange and turbo flange, port out a few spots, have it bead blasted on the inside and out, machine the flanges flat (to counteract any warping that may have occured) and send it off to be ceramic coated...all together total cost is around the $110 range for a decent header. :-) pics coming soon of the progress.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm old school

I have to disagree with you on many things there. I was the reporter that covered the debut of the Hahn LE5 turbo kit. I have spoken with Bill face to face both at his shop and on the track about his product line many times.

The 2007 kit that he has is for the LE5 engines. It fits the 2006 and 2007 years, as well as the Pontiac version. The tune and the fuel management is the Hahn parts added to the Garrett tuner kit. The tune was in fact made using HPT.

There is no L61 2007 kit yet. SCT has only released a canned tune for the E16a ECM used in the 2005 and 2006 years. They don't have the E67 yet. And neither is included in their "Advantage 3" tuner software. The ad you qoute is simply the contents of the Garrett kit.

I am aware that Hahn has done a great deal of development work. But Garrett made this kit on their own, using Garrett turbos. Hahn's turbos are a design manufactured for him by Mitsubishi.

To summarize:

HPT has tuning support for the LSJ and LE5 engines.
SCT has a canned tune for the 2005-06 L61 using the e16a, but no support.
Neither supports the 2007 L61 using the e67.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:33 PM

Wow, the more I read about my '06 L61 motor the more depressed I become...
Old 10-27-2007, 11:31 AM

i know somebody has the software to program the L61 E67 ECU. trouble is finding somebody that will release the ****...until then i may have to go piggy back and pick up one of the AEM controllers or something...but still i am putting together something that will better enable low budget people the ability to put together their own kit at a fraction of the "bolt on" cost...those who aren't scared of getting their hands dirty anyway...
Old 10-28-2007, 01:16 PM

Perhaps now that GM is releasing a turbo version we will see an increase in the interest of aftermarket companies to release a turbo kit and tune for the 2.2L guys, maybe we could even see one from GMPP.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo_Guy
Perhaps now that GM is releasing a turbo version we will see an increase in the interest of aftermarket companies to release a turbo kit and tune for the 2.2L guys, maybe we could even see one from GMPP.
that would be awesome if GMPP actually released a 2.2L turbo kit kinda like they released the supercharger kit (that i didn't find out about until i traded my 03 cavi for a 07 cobalt)...and yeah i would think that the "tuner" companies would release more software for the 2.2l engines....interesting thought...
Old 10-30-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm old school

Quite the opposite I'm afraid. Their interests will turn to the LNF engine, pushing the L61 futher down the priority list.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L61 Turbo/Super (forced induction) Information Thread