2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Secondary Air Injection on late production 2006 L61's

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avenger09123
Oh damn, I just ran to the dealership on the way home. They said it was "illegal" to remove the sai since it affects emissions. I personally think that is bull...... well I can't do anything about it now, I'm think about getting a program to edit and flash ECMs. But it wasn't a complete waste, I found out if the BCM and ECM don't match VIN's it won't start. But I was thinking, does anyone know how when a ECM program is pulled, it's stored? a binary file yes, but what format, I would like to get ahold of one and toy with it see if I can get EVERY portion to read, including VIN and where SAI is enabled or disabled. If I can do this, then I might be able to do any 2.2s reflashing. Can anyone help me in this endeavor?
i dont think neveda is complying to California emissions, so you are perfectly able (legally) to remove SAI in any way you want. it will not effect your inspection, the inspector may comment on it, but more than likely, if you hide it well, they wont even know it's there..

if you're in NY or Cali or the other 3 or 4 states that comply with Cali Emissions, then im not sure, you may want to just reinstall the factory airbox, get inspected, and then put your mods back on.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Old Man
Something along this line, crank case filter would work to use the other intake kits.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=62-1170

Hell you dont even need a filter.
GM use to tuck the open rubber end under the battery's on alot of vehicles.
Only problem they had is with them sucking in water and then all you had to do was extend the hose to a dryer location.

As far as a header I cannot believe no one has made a adapter plate to hold that valve. Simple to do and easy to get a CARB#.
Yeah, I took mine off when I put my shortram in there, i've just got that 90 degree connector hooked over the bolt that used to hold the airbox down. I figured if it was a serious thing, it would have been permanently attached. Glad I found out what it does. for the most part, the way I see it is it's just under the hood, and the air pump only runs between what 40 and 140 degrees? i forget what was said earlier, it'll turn off before I leave my driveway anyways I don't care i'm just going to see if I can put a filter directly on the pump or like 1 or 2 inches of hose away from the pump, any thoughts on if the shorter hose might throw a cel or something?

Alrighty, when the scanners like the ones GM and HPTuners uses reads your pcm, it stores the data in a .bin file, as far as I can tell, the EFITuners store a .tun file......does someone with a 2.0 or 2.2 or 2.4 have a stock pcm file in .bin format???? I want to see if I can convert it to another format, edit it by hand, and send it back for a test run. Or someone in Vegas or close by(AZ)(CA) want to hook up? I want to see if I can get rid of the SAI codelines, along with seeing if I can disable the MAF with the theoretical flow rates and create a workaround mentioned in another forum for the o2 sensors. If I get this down, this'll mean I can do anyone's PCM and email it back or send it on a CD or something. Sorry I keep pushing this, I'm a geek, I know......hence the licenseplate

Last edited by avenger09123; 09-20-2007 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-24-2007, 11:42 PM

Hey guys, I got my air intake on and put a breather filter on the SAI. I'll take pictures later and post em, but there is NO CEL. I have driven it 400 miles since I got it on. It's running fine!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
okay, question: what if you got an intake and some headers that dont have provisions for the SAI, but you left the SAI stuff hanging? would you throw a code? or would the ECU not notice? im really trying to get a full exhaust, and i obviously cant with this SAI. I know i'd fail emissions in CA without it connected, but im not too concerned with this. i mostly just dont want to be driving around all day with a CEL
Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, you would get a CEL. There is software in the ECM to control the system, and if its just "hanging", that would cause a code.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:49 PM

So I've been unable to find a local place to delete my SAI via Tech 2, its getting extremely frustrating. I've had an LSJ exhaust manifold in my trunk since August and I can't put it in. I'm thinking of just giving up and simply polishing out the inside of my stock manifold. I've already put a breather filter on the SAI hose for my intake, but there is nothing I can do to add an upgraded manifold without deleting the SAI. It's really disappointing, but what else could I do?

Also, someone with more mechanical experience than I, how could I go about porting out the stock SAI equipped manifold? My friend (engineering major and dad with a lifetime of mechanical experience, owned a shop, etc) has the equipment and the know how to polish it out to smooth the flow, but how could I actually increase the size of the outlet to be equal to or better than the LSJ?

Last edited by tonio5555; 09-30-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:07 PM

i still cant believe that they have not designed a header to adapt to this SAI yet...didnt someone on here say they work at pacesetter and there located in NY and they need someones header as a sample...i am almost ready to offer them mine...if anyone knows what iam talking about please PM me
Old 10-01-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boez06
i still cant believe that they have not designed a header to adapt to this SAI yet...didnt someone on here say they work at pacesetter and there located in NY and they need someones header as a sample...i am almost ready to offer them mine...if anyone knows what iam talking about please PM me
i sent donna from Cobalt Addiction a message about sending them my stock manifold. since I was one of the few that was able to delete SAI. but never heard a response.

The problem is that they never have 2.2's around them in order to work off of. Kenny simply needs to see the design and know how to adapt one of their headers to be SAI compliant.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 PM

**** then buy one from a junk yard and send it to them
Old 10-01-2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt
i sent donna from Cobalt Addiction a message about sending them my stock manifold. since I was one of the few that was able to delete SAI. but never heard a response.

The problem is that they never have 2.2's around them in order to work off of. Kenny simply needs to see the design and know how to adapt one of their headers to be SAI compliant.
I messeged them too a while back, no response.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:04 PM

this might be an old post but i never got a message from you, did you email kennys sales address. i havent been able to make it onto the boards much with work and the wedding im in so make sure to email sales@cobalt-addiction.com for help
Old 10-12-2007, 04:36 PM

at this point i am not gonna be taking off the manifold until spring, but when I do i'd be willing to work with you guys so you can take a look at how it is made so you might be able to make a performance manifold SAI compatible. I am a fortunate one that was able to eliminate SAI (there is only about three of us that I know of) but still wanna help out those 2.2 guys.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
okay, question: what if you got an intake and some headers that dont have provisions for the SAI, but you left the SAI stuff hanging? would you throw a code? or would the ECU not notice? im really trying to get a full exhaust, and i obviously cant with this SAI. I know i'd fail emissions in CA without it connected, but im not too concerned with this. i mostly just dont want to be driving around all day with a CEL
I had my SAI pipe hanging off of the stock air box bolt up at the top of the bay, I never threw a CEL for that, my CEL codes were always not enough airflow from my MAF sensor. I have since changed setups and I have no CEL now, but since the air pump directly injects cold air into the exhaust manifold, I don't see a real problem as long as you don't suck in gobs of water, and being just under the hood you wouldn't suck up a lot of water anyways. The GM manual says its for between 40-140 degrees of coolant. My regular driving around is 187 degrees, so I'm not going to rip out the system yet.

But I do have a mod idea for those interested, I don't know about sensors in the exhaust, I know you have one before and after the catalytic. In theory, you could thread a hole in the header or in the downpipe, use pneumatic fittings and connect the air hose to the performance part and still get your air injection, and allow for all the upgrades you need on the headers.....any thoughts?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:12 PM

Ok i was wondering is there anyone in the area of pottstown PA thats willing to flash my computer in order to delete this sai lol
Old 10-22-2007, 10:48 PM

you can either
1. drive to maine
2. drive to CED
3. know someone who has access to GM dealerworld and can flash your ecu

otherwise you are S.O.L.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:09 PM

i had a thought, and if it doesnt work, im just going to be driving around with a CEL. my idea was i ordered a midlength header/DP combo from ZZP, and it has the extra O2 bung in the header on the ss s/c. of course, i dont have this sensor, so have thought, gee, maybe i can attach the SAI to that so the air is pumped into the end of the header instead of the beginning of the header. it will still be before the stock O2 sensor and the cat, so i dont see any issues, and if there are...then w/e, ill live with an orange light
Old 11-20-2007, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by shawn672
you can either
1. drive to maine
2. drive to CED
3. know someone who has access to GM dealerworld and can flash your ecu

otherwise you are S.O.L.
Do you know the address for the place in Maine? btw, what is ced? and is GM dealerworld a site or dealership only access?
Old 01-02-2008, 05:31 AM

crate engine depot in i think chicago? also, dealerworld i believe is a dealership only website. u need the GM tech2 computer to even attempt the switch. U know anyone who works at a GM dealership that can help u? I'm trying to get my buddy to do it for me n he works at a dealership. It's a simple and easy process. U plug the tech 2 into the obd-2 port and it uploads the data, then u plug it into the computer. Now u can switch ur rim size (15's or 16's r the only 2 rim sizes that came from the dealer for cobalts...15's has like a 30% inaccuracy speedometer rating if u go with 17+ rims. If u get the 16' setting rim u'd only be like 3% off), also there will be a spot in which it will say something along the lines of SAI? Yes/No click No. Bam, upload it into the obd-2 port. No more SAI! Atleast thats what i've gathered so far. It should only be like a 10-15 minute procedure.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:51 AM

I live in Canada, bought a cobalt recently 06/07 was production date and i do not have SAI. Just to let people know. And i sure am glad i don't from the readings of this very long post.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by BoffDude
Do you know the address for the place in Maine? btw, what is ced? and is GM dealerworld a site or dealership only access?
GM Dealerworld is an application given to gm dealers to update and fix ecu issues.
Crate Engine Depot is in Chicago, The shop in Maine, you have to whisper Hunter and ask him the name and address.

SAI only means you cannot change your Exhaust Manifold..K&N makes a SAI Short Ram Intake, and if you for some reason dont like the k&n? you can buy a normal 2.2 intake and put a $30 breather filter over the SAI tube
Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 AM

update if anyone is curious. Im currently running my ZZP midlength header/DP combo on my SAI car. I have removed the component that is inserted into the stock manifold, and i have a CEL. There have been no side effects or anything out of the ordinary, and i have confirmed that the only code is a "SAI voltage low" message, which was to be expected since it was removed completely.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
update if anyone is curious. Im currently running my ZZP midlength header/DP combo on my SAI car. I have removed the component that is inserted into the stock manifold, and i have a CEL. There have been no side effects or anything out of the ordinary, and i have confirmed that the only code is a "SAI voltage low" message, which was to be expected since it was removed completely.
Any plans for a reflash?
Old 01-23-2008, 12:27 PM

I think I got a way around it for us SAI plagued people. The only sensor that will read the air pumped into the headers is the o2 in the cat, i don't think its sensitive enough to figure out theres no extra air being pumped in. I'm going to try to disconnect the headers this weekend from sai and see if I get a cel, if it doesn't show up, then everyone is golden for performance headers. :-P
Old 01-23-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you getting that from? If you disconnect the SAI pump from the exhaust manifold, there will be a big hole in your manifold. Did you fabricate some kind of plate to cover it?

The best way to fix this problem has already been determined. Reflash the car.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:32 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Where are you getting that from? If you disconnect the SAI pump from the exhaust manifold, there will be a big hole in your manifold. Did you fabricate some kind of plate to cover it?

The best way to fix this problem has already been determined. Reflash the car.
Your absolutely right, however, my car is my daily driver like so many other people, and I lack the vacation time to drive up to maine to get it reflashed-------but when you put performance headers on it, that "big hole in your manifold ....hehehehe sorry" will not be there anymore.....

UPDATE: I pulled off my SAI at the header, it started up with NO CEL, which means the o2 sensor in the exhaust doesn't give a crap if its working or not.
This is what I disconnected:

and this is what it sounded like with the hole in the manifold....though I couldn't feel much of any exhaust coming out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUZa4IMbwo

Quick Reply: Secondary Air Injection on late production 2006 L61's