2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Thomas Knight Turbo Electric Supercharger any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thomas Knight Turbo Electric Supercharger any good?

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04...ger/index.html
Old 12-05-2007, 10:04 PM

no, no, no, no, no....electric forced induction is a bad no no...it only gives you about a 3 second burst of air and then it shuts off...think of it like a strobe....it just charges a capacitor/solenoid and then discharges...and look at it...it's just 3 starter motors...would you let your starter motor run continuously?...it takes forever to recharge or you have to get a new alternator and for all that money that you would be spending on that crap you can get a real forced induction system...not to mention the added weight of the extra batteries, motors, and other crap that comes with that stupid system...

so no....
Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 PM

put on the flamesuit
Old 12-05-2007, 10:11 PM

this **** should just get deleted now lol.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyS88
put on the flamesuit
lmao....but seriously...that thing is a POS as well as any other "electric turbo supercharger" anybody is trying to market...sure they "produce more airflow" but that is in 1-3 second bursts...
Old 12-05-2007, 10:37 PM

HERE YOU GO IMA GET 2 FOR MY KIDS SCOOTERS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Racin...spagenameZWDVW
Old 12-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Banned

lol..its cool looking lol.. thats all i have to say... i know it doesnt work but its ******* cool lookin lol........
Old 12-05-2007, 11:59 PM

yea didnt think it was worth anything but may as well ask.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:02 AM

Might as well stick that electric motor right to the wheels!
Electric powered forced induction just doesn't work.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS
Might as well stick that electric motor right to the wheels!
Electric powered forced induction just doesn't work.
for now.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
where is the electricity coming from....

think about it.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok before any of you guys who dont anything about thomas knight electric superchargers open your mouths, just shut up now. These are the only electric superchargers on the market to make any significant proven power. These arent the ESCs you see on ebay or the back of car magazines these actually have 1000s of hours of R&D behind them. You people make me laugh making fun of this guy for posting this. How about you do some research before you make assumptions. The only person too make a reasonable post in this thread was an0malous
Old 12-06-2007, 12:34 AM

Did you guys even read that article?!

He rewound 3 starter motors and hooked em up to an Eaton M62 and doubled the hp on his stock nissan altima
Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 AM

So you guys wanna make any more dumb comments yet?

If so heres some more proven power:

http://www.boosthead.com/installation_docs/doc24.htm

Oh and for you guys to do your own research heres the Thomas Knight website where I fund that dyno sheet:

http://www.boosthead.com/product.php
Old 12-06-2007, 12:49 AM

I just dont see the point, for something that is limited the way it is, and is in reality no cheaper than turboing normally.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:53 AM

In no way am I saying this is better then a regular supercharger or turbo but for some people this is easier and more reliable. But the people bashing this product, they need to look into it before they open their mouths and make fun of a guy for posting credible products.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:00 AM

meh, kinda cant blame people though.
99.9% of products containing the name "electric supercharger" are a scam.

its like if someone actually came out with a $25 "chip" that actually worked

people would rip on it just because of how much bullshit surrounds the concept.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:01 AM

yea I understand that but none of them actually looked into the link the guy posted and bashed him. If they would have actually read before posting they would have not made those posts. as you can tell they are kind of embarressed now becuase they havent posted since
Old 12-06-2007, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by JRelly
Ok before any of you guys who dont anything about thomas knight electric superchargers open your mouths, just shut up now. These are the only electric superchargers on the market to make any significant proven power. These arent the ESCs you see on ebay or the back of car magazines these actually have 1000s of hours of R&D behind them. You people make me laugh making fun of this guy for posting this. How about you do some research before you make assumptions. The only person too make a reasonable post in this thread was an0malous
i have read the post....about 100 times...as well as other posts and other write ups, etc....these things may work for a short amount of time....but the thing is...THEY ARE ELECTRIC POWERED..the thing about electric powered motors running super amounts of electricity (even with 20+ years of experience) is that brushings, bushings, windings, magnets, etc burn out way faster than the mechanical counterparts....so think about it...would YOU want to tune that beast....do that modification? would you want to put about 150lbs of extra weight on the back end of a FWD? would you want to spend upwards of 1000 extra dollars (not exact) for a new alternater after your stock on burned out because it's trying to push those extra batteries? would you want that thermal add on with the length of the wires going to the engine bay? would you want to replace the motors after so many boost attempts?....or...would you like to spend the same amount of money on a more reliable mechanical forced induction setup?...hell f*** that electric supercharger...i can put a compressed air bottle in the trunk even an oxygen bottle or nitrous in the trunk for cheaper and it be more reliable....

i'm not saying that in the future the technology won't be there for electric super/turbochargers but right now...it's not feasible to invest that much money, that much time into something that you are just going to have to replace over and over and over again....

so...what's the tune look like? is the ECU going to recognize that right then...make on the fly adjustments when the boost is activated....and the batteries...how much hp/torque will it take to turn that massive alternater to recharge those batteries....is that boost going to be there when it really counts or are you going to be waiting for those batteries to charge?

what about the RPM range...with the motors run and adjust to the RPM range? or will it just push a set amount of boost and trail off way early....

you can show me dyno numbers all day...but the fact is...it's still a set amount

low end but no high end..

think about it.....if you set that f***er off too early..guess what...its the same as setting nitrous off too early

if you set if off too late...you won't have anything...but a fan blowing

again...i'm not trying to discredit the guy as an innovator but the electric forced induction hasn't come up in technology like it should

and before you flame...do some more research...read what the guy has, and his FAQs, and the history of the electric supercharger and such...
Old 12-06-2007, 01:38 AM

I think i may look into these. Im guessing i will still have the same probs with my trans as a turbo.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by aendam
I think i may look into these. Im guessing i will still have the same probs with my trans as a turbo.
really....you are going to have problems with the tranny with boost anyway...unless you are running an automatic with a shift kit...the autos are able to run much more hp/torque than the manual guys (unless you have the ss/sc or ss) best way to do it is just go traditional turbo or supercharged....for the same or less money as you would put into that electric crap you can get something that will last a lot longer and will give you more power....you can't adjust that electric crap without increasing electricity and if you increase electricity without proper setup...fire in the engine, trunk, where ever the wiring for that setup is....
Old 12-06-2007, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by FacelessKhaos
i have read the post....about 100 times...as well as other posts and other write ups, etc....these things may work for a short amount of time....but the thing is...THEY ARE ELECTRIC POWERED..the thing about electric powered motors running super amounts of electricity (even with 20+ years of experience) is that brushings, bushings, windings, magnets, etc burn out way faster than the mechanical counterparts....so think about it...would YOU want to tune that beast....do that modification? would you want to put about 150lbs of extra weight on the back end of a FWD? would you want to spend upwards of 1000 extra dollars (not exact) for a new alternater after your stock on burned out because it's trying to push those extra batteries? would you want that thermal add on with the length of the wires going to the engine bay? would you want to replace the motors after so many boost attempts?....or...would you like to spend the same amount of money on a more reliable mechanical forced induction setup?...hell f*** that electric supercharger...i can put a compressed air bottle in the trunk even an oxygen bottle or nitrous in the trunk for cheaper and it be more reliable....

i'm not saying that in the future the technology won't be there for electric super/turbochargers but right now...it's not feasible to invest that much money, that much time into something that you are just going to have to replace over and over and over again....

so...what's the tune look like? is the ECU going to recognize that right then...make on the fly adjustments when the boost is activated....and the batteries...how much hp/torque will it take to turn that massive alternater to recharge those batteries....is that boost going to be there when it really counts or are you going to be waiting for those batteries to charge?

what about the RPM range...with the motors run and adjust to the RPM range? or will it just push a set amount of boost and trail off way early....

you can show me dyno numbers all day...but the fact is...it's still a set amount

low end but no high end..

think about it.....if you set that f***er off too early..guess what...its the same as setting nitrous off too early

if you set if off too late...you won't have anything...but a fan blowing

again...i'm not trying to discredit the guy as an innovator but the electric forced induction hasn't come up in technology like it should

and before you flame...do some more research...read what the guy has, and his FAQs, and the history of the electric supercharger and such...

Did you even read the links I posted? I assume you didnt becuase everything you said was disproved with there FAQ. It doesnt run off your alternator, the batteries are utlra lightweight so weight is not an issue.It weighs less then the average turbo set up. Your argument about it only running in spurts like nitrous is actually working against you, I think it would be better for the person becuase gas mileage would stay the same, until you need the extra power. If you dont believe my statements you can argue with the guy who has been doing this for years. Heres their FAQ word for word.

Electric Supercharger

Maybe you've seen the tires melt on our ESC™-charged test vehicles at Moroso Motosports Park. Maybe you've seen our feature article in Turbo Magazine and the full-page ads in Power Pages, Turbo, and Sport Compact. Or maybe you've seen the buzz across hundreds of message boards and want to know why everyone is so excited about "another POS bilge pump fan that cannot possibly work."

Well, we have news for you. This is real technology. From a real company. With real test results to back our claims (see "Additional Files" to the right). This is not another eBay leaf blower...

Then what is it?

Our patented ESC™ 350CM is a high-performance electric supercharger powered by extra batteries instead of your engine's belt. It can add huge hp gains on stock engines up to 3.0L.

What's it made out of?

The core of our ESC™ 350c is a centrifugal type supercharger. This durable unit flows up to 6 psi** in less than a second and is rated up to 400 hp. Its impeller is turned by a custom-wound electric motor. Most components are CNC-machined, 60-16 T6 aircraft aluminum. Every unit is made-to-order by Thomas Knight, thoroughly tested and backed by our competitive 1-year warranty.

Electric motor? Then it must run off your alternator, right?

Wrong. For years, drawing current straight from an alternator was the misguided approach of engineers unable to think outside the box. It simply isn't possible for an alternator to produce enough current to power a real supercharger.

Then where does the power come from?

At the push of a button, an ultra-lightweight battery bank injects the drive system with bursts of pure energy. And you can use either regular car batteries, or MIL-SPEC type, specifically designed for hardcore use and fast recharge. Most importantly, they're totally independent from your vehicle, so you don't suffer the parasitic loss under boost that a turbo or supercharger robs from your engine. Because this is a universal system, we do not supply these batteries, but we can help you customize your setup towards a specific application. For the average user, we suggest two regular batteries; for competition racers, we recommend the awesome BATCAPs, or Odyssey high-CCA batteries (only 13 lbs each).

Why only short bursts?

Think of these batteries as your Nitrous tanks. Like Nitrous, the ESC's instant boost is currently limited in duration, but unlike Nitrous, that restriction will gradually disappear as battery technology improves. Eventually, high-volume capacitors will allow for almost perpetual usage. Until then, a typical battery bank will yield several runs before recharge. And unlike Nitrous, our system will not cost you thousands of dollars in long-term refilling expenses. Most Nitrous users go through at least 1 bottle/week, and at $30 to $45 per bottle, that's a hidden charge of $1,560 a year, every year, forever. Think about it! With our system, you will never deal with costly refills again.

No more refills?

Well, not quite. There is no such thing as free energy. Even our system needs to be recharged, but in this respect, the universal, open-ended design allows for hundreds of ways to do so. It could be as simple as hooking up to a regular battery charger in your garage twice a week, or as futuristic as solar panels. You can upgrade to a high-output alternator like those that power competition audio systems in the future. With a 200-amp alternator, you'll fully recharge quickly while the ESC™ is off. So while you're waiting in the staging lanes or cruising along the strip, you can relax and hurl insults at the Nitrous guys while your system preps for another power burst of awesome boost.

There's more than enough power to remind those high school kids with the neon muffler bearings who their daddy is.

What about the extra weight?

It's a non-issue. Our new centrifugal ESCs weighs 17 lbs, (battery weight varies). In comparison, a full turbo kit can easily weigh 100lb, while most belt-driven superchargers weigh 90 lbs. As you can see, the "extra weight" is not a real argument Plus, no parasitic loss means greater horsepower, so our ESC™ more than makes up for the difference.

Please do not post again before you read all of this
Old 12-06-2007, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by FacelessKhaos
really....you are going to have problems with the tranny with boost anyway...unless you are running an automatic with a shift kit...the autos are able to run much more hp/torque than the manual guys (unless you have the ss/sc or ss) best way to do it is just go traditional turbo or supercharged....for the same or less money as you would put into that electric crap you can get something that will last a lot longer and will give you more power....you can't adjust that electric crap without increasing electricity and if you increase electricity without proper setup...fire in the engine, trunk, where ever the wiring for that setup is....
so like B&M shift plus will work so that when you hit boost it will still shift? people were talking about that but i was not sure. I know the best way to do any BIG HP gains is turbo/supercharger i wasnt really looking for this electric supercharger to give me gains like a turbo but more like 35 HP.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:18 AM

i didn't say it ran off the alternator....and when is the last time you lifted a "lightweight" battery....designed for a car...i'd say 10-15lbs each.....the 17lbs is from the motor/centrifuge setup...not the batteries

coming from a MACHINIST WITH LOTS OF EXPERIENCE there is no "60-16-T6" aluminum

"For the average user, we suggest two regular batteries; for competition racers, we recommend the awesome BATCAPs, or Odyssey high-CCA batteries (only 13 lbs each)."

read the FAQ yourself before you come after me

and by the way it's 6061-T6 aluminum and there is no such thing as "aircraft" aluminum....the aluminum that is used in aircraft is designed and manufactured by the automotive market and SAE...the aluminum in foil is the same ****...don't fall for that...

so...like stated before...have backup before you flame

and also..i'm a certified welder in titanium, stainless steel (anything stainless), aluminum, and incolonel (nickel alloy, can be in many forms) so any "metal" you throw at me...i'll tell you if it exists, what the chem comp is, and if it's weldable....i can even heat treat the stuff...

as far as machining...i can manual lathe and mill as well as CNC program and operate....
Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 AM

People actually sell that ****

Quick Reply: Thomas Knight Turbo Electric Supercharger any good?