2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

k&n typhoon

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k&n typhoon

Hi all, im new to this forum, just bought an '06 2.4L SS last week and love it so far! I was just about to purchase this intake this morning when I read it is not street legal here in PA. Is this something I might be able to get away with, or would someone be likely to notice it during the inspection or something? If i shouldn't purchase this intake, anyone recommend a close second choice that would give me the same gains? Thanks!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Haha what? Who told you that?

If it's the K&N intake for the Cobalt it will be "street legal" in PA.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 AM

"This intake system is not legal for street use in the following states:

Arizona, California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington

This intake system is legal for street use in most states. However, it is not legal for street use in California and the above states that have adopted California Emissions Standards under Section 177 of the Federal Clean Air Act of 1970. Intake systems are subject to governmental regulation in California and certain other states adopting the emission standards of the California Air Resources Board. In order for an intake system to be legal on a specific vehicle in California and the other adopting states, the part number must receive a CARB Executive Order (EO) number. This number makes the part legal for use only on specific years, makes and models of vehicles. A decal with CARB EO number for these parts must be displayed in the engine bay to satisfy smog inspection requirements.

All K&N 57 series intakes for North American vehicles have received CARB EO numbers and are street legal in all 50 states.

Some intake systems we sell beginning with the prefixes 63-, 69-, 77, & RK- are not legal for use in California and other states adopting CARB emission standards. Please check our website for the specific CARB status of each intake system we sell for a specific vehicle.

Copyright Š 2010 K&N Engineering, Inc. All Rights Reserved."

This is straight off the K&N website...

"Part 69-4517TTK Product Specifications
Product Style: 69 Series Typhoon Kits
Estimated Horsepower Gain: 15.94 HP @ 5900 RPM
Color: Textured Black
Replacement Filter: RU-5147
Street Legal In All US States: No
System Type: Cold-Air Intake System
Clamp Style: Regular
TUV Approved (Europe): No
Weight: 7.9 lb (3.6 kg)
Product Box Length: 18.25 in (464 mm)
Product Box Width: 14.5 in (368 mm)
Product Box Height: 8.5 in (216 mm)"

Where it says no, you can click the No, and then it opens up to the first part I pasted
Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Yeah all k&n intakes are street legal, idk who told you that but they're wrong
Old 07-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by clipse270
"This intake system is not legal for street use in the following states:

Arizona, California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington

This intake system is legal for street use in most states. However, it is not legal for street use in California and the above states that have adopted California Emissions Standards under Section 177 of the Federal Clean Air Act of 1970. Intake systems are subject to governmental regulation in California and certain other states adopting the emission standards of the California Air Resources Board. In order for an intake system to be legal on a specific vehicle in California and the other adopting states, the part number must receive a CARB Executive Order (EO) number. This number makes the part legal for use only on specific years, makes and models of vehicles. A decal with CARB EO number for these parts must be displayed in the engine bay to satisfy smog inspection requirements.

All K&N 57 series intakes for North American vehicles have received CARB EO numbers and are street legal in all 50 states.

Some intake systems we sell beginning with the prefixes 63-, 69-, 77, & RK- are not legal for use in California and other states adopting CARB emission standards. Please check our website for the specific CARB status of each intake system we sell for a specific vehicle.

Copyright Š 2010 K&N Engineering, Inc. All Rights Reserved."

This is straight off the K&N website...

"Part 69-4517TTK Product Specifications
Product Style: 69 Series Typhoon Kits
Estimated Horsepower Gain: 15.94 HP @ 5900 RPM
Color: Textured Black
Replacement Filter: RU-5147
Street Legal In All US States: No
System Type: Cold-Air Intake System
Clamp Style: Regular
TUV Approved (Europe): No
Weight: 7.9 lb (3.6 kg)
Product Box Length: 18.25 in (464 mm)
Product Box Width: 14.5 in (368 mm)
Product Box Height: 8.5 in (216 mm)"

Where it says no, you can click the No, and then it opens up to the first part I pasted
That's odd man....

I have been living in PA my whole life, and never had any issues with any of my modified cars passing emissions or not being legal due to an intake. You will be fine.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 AM

That's werid, I've heard commercials where k&n advertises all their intakes being street legal. Get the injen then, its carb certified
Old 07-22-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
why i would make it illegal in the first place????
it recirculates the oil fumes, is not like you have to put a breather and dump it to the air....... weird...
Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 AM

so no one has had any trouble with this system passing inspection then?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

so no one has had any trouble with this system passing inspection then?
It will pass.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:49 PM

Hi all, im new to this forum, just bought an '06 2.4L SS last week and love it so far! I was just about to purchase this intake this morning when I read it is not street legal here in PA. Is this something I might be able to get away with, or would someone be likely to notice it during the inspection or something? If i shouldn't purchase this intake, anyone recommend a close second choice that would give me the same gains? Thanks!
just buy it bro. like others have said you shouldn't have a problem with it.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Buddy of mine lives in Cali and had to go with the Injen setup for his Altima. I have only heard of Cali being **** about it. You will pass inspection in PA and you will not get in trouble having it. I live in VT and if it is illegal they can go **** themselves because if I am getting better gas mileage, then I am burning less gas. I would be more environmentally friendly. Stupid lawmakers need some common sense. Buy it even if it is illegal you will never get in trouble about it. Worst case scenario is that you will not pass inspection, then you switch it back to stock, pass, then put it back on. A cop is never going to try to get you to open your hood over an intake, no probable cause. If you ever ran into that one ******* cop tell him to **** off cause you don't condone searches and he can go get a warrant.