2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

EcotecFTW's 2.4 Supercharged build!

Old 10-16-2016, 02:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
EcotecFTW's 2.4 Supercharged build!

Finally pulling the trigger on this build. Just a nice little supercharger swap to make it a fun daily. I'm still in the process of getting parts but I figured I would make this thread to keep myself motivated to finish this time, and to get as much information and help as I can from yall. Let's begin...

CAR: 2006 Cobalt SS/NA 2.4 LE5 w/ auto
MILES: 194k
MODS: completely stock

I did a recent compression test and it showed 140 in all cylinders, so she's in good health but I'm still gonna have it tuned safe.

PLANS FOR SWAP:

- Ported m62 w/ 2.8
- Lightly ported intake manifold
- LS4 throttle body
- 3" cold air intake
- LSJ heat exchanger
- Option B
- Longtube header
- 3" catless downpipe
- HPTuned on E85

My goal for the install is probably early to mid december, but that's always subject to change lol.

I'd like to see around 250whp or so on this setup, but we'll see. It's going to be a somewhat conservative tune to be safe.

I'm still collecting parts so I'll post up and see if anyone has something I need. I know that I will need gaskets and bolts for sure, but I can probably get them cheap from CED or fastenal.

I appreciate any feedback, information, suggestions, warnings and any other input is welcome. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2016, 01:20 PM

Post a lot of pics here during your conversion. Something I've been debating for some time. Local craigslist here has an M62 for $300, not sure if that's a good deal, but I may have to wait. Hope all goes well!
The following users liked this post:
Ecotecftw (10-19-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by WICobaltSS
Post a lot of pics here during your conversion. Something I've been debating for some time. Local craigslist here has an M62 for $300, not sure if that's a good deal, but I may have to wait. Hope all goes well!
Thanks! I've wanted to do it for a while and finally just decided to go for it. I definitely plan to post plenty of pics along the way, to me that's the best part

If you're seriously wanting a blower message or text "AlloutSS" and talk to him, he has a blower and some other stuff for your kit. I just bought some stuff from him, great guy to deal with.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:15 AM

Intake manifold with dual pass endplate for option b. Also has a light port on the intake runners, bought from "Jesse"

M62 ported for a LS4 throttle body, ZZP 2.8 pulley, stock boost gauge and upper radiator hose (not pictured) from "315SS"

Old 10-18-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Awesome man. I have one question though. Is the LS4 throttle body really worth the slight gain over an LSJ TB on a M62 while making the throttle a lot more sensitive/jerky? I would think with this being your daily driver you would be more happy with an LSJ throttle body. I have an LSJ TB with a TVS and the power is variable the whole travel of the pedal and I really like it that way. I hear the LS4 is more of an on off switch vs. the continuous variability you can get with the smaller TB. Just something to think about because if you change your mind after you have tuned with the LS4 you will have to adjust the tune again to swap to the LSJ.

It is your car of course and you should do it how you want I just thought I would bring that up if you haven't considered it yet.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
You can't use the stock boost gauge.
The following users liked this post:
Ecotecftw (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by chevygirl2006
You can't use the stock boost gauge.
Damn I didn't know that. Well I guess I'll be selling the one I got and getting a different one lol. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, more parts on the way. Idler, Alt bracket/ tensioner, IC pump/ bracket, lower bracket for manifold, 2.5 map for manifold, Injen CAI.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking at getting parts together for ZZPs kit, found a few m62s on Facebook, one from a 2.0 SS. Will the intake manifold fit my LE5?
Old 10-31-2016, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
yes it will, but the bolts are different sizes than your intake
Old 10-31-2016, 04:46 PM

Is there anything I should look for? He says there isn't anything wrong with it mechanically. I offered him $250 for the m62 and manifold.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:14 PM

Check the rotors on the m62
Old 11-01-2016, 03:20 AM

CobiJack, here are part numbers for bolts that you can use for the manifold on the LE5, (x2) 0154419, (x5) 0154418 $25 from Fastenal.com

I have received more parts and will be getting pics up soon to update...
Old 11-01-2016, 09:11 AM

Thanks!!! Sorry for highjacking your thread, I just needed answers fast. I'm getting some heat for lowballing these guys on Facebook so I'll probably just buy a rebuilt m62 off of ebay. One I offered $100+shipping costs had 160k miles on it. He was asking $150 so I don't think I was being unreasonable. But I'm still good on the intake I think. Probably buy a new TB.

Last edited by CobiJack; 11-01-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
That one laminova core (2nd from bottom) looks slightly deformed.

Willing to bet the person who swapped the cores for the dual pass setup used pliers.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by CobiJack
Thanks!!! Sorry for highjacking your thread, I just needed answers fast. I'm getting some heat for lowballing these guys on Facebook so I'll probably just buy a rebuilt m62 off of ebay. One I offered $100+shipping costs had 160k miles on it. He was asking $150 so I don't think I was being unreasonable. But I'm still good on the intake I think. Probably buy a new TB.
No worries man, that's a great part of these build threads is that we can all help each other and learn. Also, I have 2 LSJ throttle bodys that I'm selling so maybe we can work something out if you want it. Text me if you're interested 502-494-5073

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
That one laminova core (2nd from bottom) looks slightly deformed.

Willing to bet the person who swapped the cores for the dual pass setup used pliers.
I was thinking the same thing. That's how I received it though so not much I can do. I looked at them pretty close, I don't think I'll have any issues with them. Hopefully not anyway.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ecotecftw
No worries man, that's a great part of these build threads is that we can all help each other and learn. Also, I have 2 LSJ throttle bodys that I'm selling so maybe we can work something out if you want it. Text me if you're interested 502-494-5073
Thanks but I just sent money to another member of this forum last night for his m62, throttle body and intake manifold. It has the 3.0 pulley, but I want to run a 2.8, do you think I can get away with the stage 3 kit from zzp or should I buy the $750 complete kit and ask for the smaller pulley?
Old 11-02-2016, 12:38 PM

Thanks but I just sent money to another member of this forum last night for his m62, throttle body and intake manifold. It has the 3.0 pulley, but I want to run a 2.8, do you think I can get away with the stage 3 kit from zzp or should I buy the $750 complete kit and ask for the smaller pulley?
If you bought the zzp kit minus the blower, manifold and TB, you'd be overspending. You can find the rest of the kit on here and facebook groups for good prices, just gotta be patient. 2.8 pulleys are common, but if you don't wanna wait you could buy the kit. I'd recommend getting a dual pass endplate on your manifold and running an option B setup for cooling purposes. Safer is better.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:13 PM

If you bought the zzp kit minus the blower, manifold and TB, you'd be overspending. You can find the rest of the kit on here and facebook groups for good prices, just gotta be patient. 2.8 pulleys are common, but if you don't wanna wait you could buy the kit. I'd recommend getting a dual pass endplate on your manifold and running an option B setup for cooling purposes. Safer is better.
Yeah I'm trying to go the cheap route. I won't be putting it on until the spring anyway. I just have to figure out what all I need if I don't buy the kit. I have only been studying cobalts for about two weeks now.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:21 PM
Slobodan Milošević

Received 215 Likes on 175 Posts
Superchargers are life
Old 11-02-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost

Finally pulling the trigger on this build. Just a nice little supercharger swap to make it a fun daily. I'm still in the process of getting parts but I figured I would make this thread to keep myself motivated to finish this time, and to get as much information and help as I can from yall. Let's begin...

CAR: 2006 Cobalt SS/NA 2.4 LE5 w/ auto
MILES: 194k
MODS: completely stock

I did a recent compression test and it showed 140 in all cylinders, so she's in good health but I'm still gonna have it tuned safe.

PLANS FOR SWAP:

- Ported m62 w/ 2.8
- Lightly ported intake manifold
- LS4 throttle body
- 3" cold air intake
- LSJ heat exchanger
- Option B
- Longtube header
- 3" catless downpipe
- HPTuned on E85

My goal for the install is probably early to mid december, but that's always subject to change lol.

I'd like to see around 250whp or so on this setup, but we'll see. It's going to be a somewhat conservative tune to be safe.

I'm still collecting parts so I'll post up and see if anyone has something I need. I know that I will need gaskets and bolts for sure, but I can probably get them cheap from CED or fastenal.

I appreciate any feedback, information, suggestions, warnings and any other input is welcome. Thanks!
Money is tight cuz I'm in high school and have to pay for my own stuff so I'm trying to find the cheapest way to supercharge my 2.4 ss without risking a break down. So how much was your builds cost and what did you dyno at? Thank you
Old 11-03-2016, 03:22 AM

Yeah I'm trying to go the cheap route. I won't be putting it on until the spring anyway. I just have to figure out what all I need if I don't buy the kit. I have only been studying cobalts for about two weeks now.
Originally Posted by Dashernex
Money is tight cuz I'm in high school and have to pay for my own stuff so I'm trying to find the cheapest way to supercharge my 2.4 ss without risking a break down. So how much was your builds cost and what did you dyno at? Thank you
My advice is to be patient and do as much reading on here as possible. Search for supercharger builds on here, especially Beck's 2.4 supercharged build, it has a parts list and walkthrough for the swap. I'll also post pics and updates as I do mine.

I'm still gathering parts for the swap so I don't know my finished cost or power yet but I will keep you posted as I go.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:41 AM

Well, that thread is hard to read. Too many dumb questions about power output and cost. But it cleared up a lot. I'm looking to get this done for under $1000. Are you sticking with the LE5 alternator and LSJ TB? What about the oil pan? Is that necessary or is the oil cooler sufficient, or both?
Old 11-03-2016, 10:22 AM

Are you tuning this yourself or having someone else tune it? I saw ZZP charges $200 just for the tune. I buy my trucks aftermarket stuff from MPT performance, every time you purchase something that needs a tune adjustment they do it for free. I want to take the cheap route on this but maybe I should just take the path of least resistance, and buy the kit.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:01 PM

You don't need an oil pan unless you turbo. Find a tuner that tunes locally with no tuners. Not zzp. You could get everything you need for 1000 but not sure if that includes the tune. Normally tunes are around 300-350
Old 11-03-2016, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by chevygirl2006
You don't need an oil pan unless you turbo. Find a tuner that tunes locally with no tuners. Not zzp. You could get everything you need for 1000 but not sure if that includes the tune. Normally tunes are around 300-350
Yeah, I've read a few threads about ZZPs tune for this kit. I work in Indianapolis so it shouldn't be too hard to find one local. The oil pan question came from Beck's build thread, someone had mentioned using the LSJ oil pan to help keep Temps down. Anyhow, it's going to be awhile before I begin taking things apart, I still have a lot to research, still waiting for the member I bought the parts from to ship them. Makes me uneasy when I send out hundreds of dollars and wait days for a tracking number.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EcotecFTW's 2.4 Supercharged build!