2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

No Muffler = Bad Gas Milage!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giovanhalen
Don't need to reason a fact! But if you want me to guess, the engine oil and other lubricants are cold ant therefore thicker making the transmission and oil pump harder to turn which takes more power=more fuel. Fuel may not atomize as well when the engine is cold.
It is not "FACT!" Depends on where you live for one. Also A/C uses more gas then the heater. Gas burns faster in extreme heats, meaning more gas, more air, less mpg. Extreme cold will decrese mpg as will extreme heat. So it is not a fact winter is worse then summer.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by 280Z1977
It is not "FACT!" Depends on where you live for one. Also A/C uses more gas then the heater. Gas burns faster in extreme heats, meaning more gas, more air, less mpg. Extreme cold will decrese mpg as will extreme heat. So it is not a fact winter is worse then summer.
The idle time when it is -30 out eats a lot more gas then in the summer where you just wait for the idle to drop and go.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:35 AM

haha a guy from cali talking about winter driving...whoo! ok I'm good now. It gets so cold here I have to use my dog sled sometimes. Now that's cold!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Toronto SS
The idle time when it is -30 out eats a lot more gas then in the summer where you just wait for the idle to drop and go.
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla
haha a guy from cali talking about winter driving...whoo! ok I'm good now. It gets so cold here I have to use my dog sled sometimes. Now that's cold!
Originally Posted by 280z1977
Do I need to say it in French?

Also with new cars you do not need to let the car idle down and if you are in -30 then you have a block heater and really don't waste gas then.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:07 AM

Do I need to say it in French?
Yes

Old 04-11-2006, 01:08 AM

Whether I need to or not I do idle longer in the winter cuz I refuse to sit in a cold car. That leads to worse gas mileage.

ps. the ss sc doesnt come with a block heater.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Toronto SS
Whether I need to or not I do idle longer in the winter cuz I refuse to sit in a cold car. That leads to worse gas mileage.

ps. the ss sc doesnt come with a block heater.
Sucks for you. Either way it is not a fact winter = worse gas mileage.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:44 AM

french? I don't get it...haha
I don't speak french, that's for those frenchies in Quebec..what an insult!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by BOB, THE AUTO ANSWER MAN
Using the heat should not make the car use anymore gas. But using the defroster will! Why? Well, when the defroster is used, the air conditioning compressor cycles on and off to remove excess moisture from the inside of the windshield. Also, when you have your heating system on mixed mode or bilevel (blowing out at the floor and the windshield) the air conditioning compressor is running.
It seems to be quite...complicated. I have also read articles that hybrids experience a drop in mpg over the winter too...interesting? I also read that cars in winter need a 'warm up period' in which the engine runs rich to heat up. Once heated up, the MAF can calculate the stoichometric ratio. (14.7:1). But until then, the engine cannot calculate the proper A/F and therefore runs rich to heat up to a 'full temperature.'
Old 04-11-2006, 02:12 AM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla
In cold weather, our vehicles take a much longer period of time to reach full operating temperature. And they take this extra time each and every time we start them up, even if they have not fully cooled down.

Modern engine-management systems are very efficient at optimizing the fuel/air ratio entering the engine. The oxygen sensor monitors the percentage of oxygen in the exhaust, compares this with the percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere, and generates a low-voltage signal that communicates this ratio to the computer. The computer then adjusts the pulse-width of the fuel injectors -- the precise period of time each injector is open on each injection cycle --to fine-tune the amount of fuel reaching each cylinder.

The system makes this very fine adjustment dozens of times each second, working very hard to reach the optimum air/fuel ratio for any given situation, and at steady-state cruise speed seeks to approach the perfect ratio of 14.7 to 1, called the stoichometric ratio. The system is running in a "closed loop" when it is relying upon the oxygen-sensor signal to fine-tune engine operation.

But the engine-management system can seek this optimum air/fuel ratio only when the engine is up to full temperature. In fact, the computer does not look for a signal from the oxygen sensor until it approaches full temperature. During the warm-up cycle -- which takes considerably longer in cold weather -- the computer operates on a warm-up program based on coolant temperature, mass airflow or MAP sensor input of air volume and temperature, throttle position and engine rpm. This is called "open loop" operation, meaning the system is not operating off the feedback from the oxygen sensor.

In open-loop operation during the warm-up period, the engine requires -- and is provided with -- a richer air/fuel ratio to ensure good combustion.

It needs this extra fuel for the simple reason that a percentage of the atomized, then vaporized, fuel delivered to the engine condenses into liquid gasoline on cold internal engine components such as the intake manifold, intake valves, pistons and cylinder. And remember, it's gasoline vapor, not liquid, that burns.

Until those parts warm up, the engine needs more fuel to operate with reasonable drivability. Thus, the colder the weather, the longer it takes for your engine to reach full operating temperature and closed-loop operation, and thus the more fuel the engine uses to deliver the same driving cycle. That's the primary reason your engine consumes more fuel in winter driving.

Another factor in winter mileage is air density, defined as the number of air molecules per cubic foot of air entering the engine. Remember that 14.7-1 air/fuel ratio? That means 14.7 parts of air are mixed with one part of fuel for the perfect air/fuel ratio -- that's a lot of air!

In winter, colder air means denser air -- more molecules per cubic foot. At any specific throttle setting or opening, the same number of cubic feet of air, but containing more air molecules, will enter the engine. The computer will provide more fuel to create the proper air/fuel ratio at that moment. This is a bit more subtle, since "more air/more fuel" produces more power, so you may be able to operate at a slightly lower throttle setting -- sort of rebalancing the equation.
Hummmppff... Good Post!
I officially retract my comment in another thread referring to your neck of the woods as "Ditchwater Alberta"

Regards
WopOnTour
Old 04-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Premium Member

Sucks for you. Either way it is not a fact winter = worse gas mileage.
You DONT know what your talking about. They are talking about weeks and months at -0C and colder. It WILL result in a significant increase in fuel consuption. Known fact in any of the Northern climes. I would suggest a Cali boy STFU when it comes to cold weather operation. You really have no clue.

WopOnTour
Old 04-11-2006, 02:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WopOnTour
You DONT know what your talking about. They are talking about weeks and months at -0C and colder. It WILL result in a significant increase in fuel consuption. Known fact in any of the Northern climes. I would suggest a Cali boy STFU when it comes to cold weather operation. You really have no clue.

WopOnTour
Can you not read?? And can people in Canada not read??? So because I live in California, I don't know what I am talking about. Well seeing as I have family in Alaska and North Dakota and have visited them in the cold months. I think I might know what -0C and colder weather feels like and what it does to cars. And I am talking about 105+F and hotter for weeks and months that WILL result in a significant increase in fuel consuMption. So once AGAIN, it is not a fact that everywhere you are winter=worse gas mileage. You people really can't read.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:09 AM
Premium Member

That's the problem Wasey. I for one am quite certain you don't know what you are talking about... BTDT!
(What's worse is you think you do!)
You wanna talk about what happens at +105, that's another story but I assure you I can read fine...
Your statement in post #32 (that I quoted above) is just plain 100% WRONG

If your "point" was that extreme ambient heat CAN ALSO result in increased consumption, that would also be correct. As I'm sure some of the members here from Phoenix or Vegas can attest. But you wont get a lot of support from anyone claiming you know "all about" the effects of extremes when you LIVE in the most moderately temperate climate on the continent!!
Or because your Uncle lives in Alaska!! LOL

WopOnTour
Old 04-11-2006, 03:24 AM
Banned

That's the problem Wasey. I for one am quite certain you don't know what you are talking about... BTDT!
(What's worse is you think you do!)
You wanna talk about what happens at +105, that's another story but I assure you I can read fine...
Your statement in post #32 (that I quoted above) is just plain 100% WRONG

If your "point" was that extreme ambient heat CAN ALSO result in increased consumption, that would also be correct. As I'm sure some of the members here from Phoenix or Vegas can attest. But you wont get a lot of support from anyone claiming you know "all about" the effects of extremes when you LIVE in the most moderately temperate climate on the continent!!
Or because your Uncle lives in Alaska!! LOL

WopOnTour
Have you ever been to Cali? Ever heard of places called death valley or palm springs? They are deserts. That get hotter then both Vegas and Phoenix(120+F). We also have the Sierra Nevadas in California, that guess what get below 0F temperatures. How is my post#32 just plain wrong??? So people in Los Angeles (where the winters are 45F and the summers are 95F) get worse gas mileage in the winter??? NO, therefore it is not a FACT that every car every where gets worse gas mileage in the winter. In Canada maybe.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:00 AM
Premium Member

Wasey, just where do you get this ****? If you do not understand the fundamental principles of electronic fuel injection that's your problem. I suggest you get some text books or at least Google "Ideal Gas Law" and study it until you understand its impact with respect to the air-fuel ratio requirements of an internal combustion engine’s stoichiometry. Quite simply the colder the engine operating temperature and inlet air-charge is, the more fuel must be delivered- plain and simple.
Plus there are physical factors that further influences your winter consumption, that you appear to have no grasp of. Why do you think there’s NO MENTION of higher ambient temperatures having “significant” impact on consumption at fuel economy resources such as:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/factors.shtml
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...rmance/pg5.asp
http://www.tc.gc.ca/programs/environ...uide/page4.htm

Beginning with significantly richer AFRs required for start up, after start, thru warm-up and continuing throughout the drive cycle you just need more fuel when it's cold to extreme levels. Combine that with significantly higher idle speeds (increasing the # of injection events) and your fuel economy takes a significant nose-dive

HOWEVER, any additional fueling necessary during extremely HIGH ambient operation are for the most part merely the recovery of losses from various "parasitic" demands due to the combination of increased electrical loads such as longer engine cooling fan ON cycles, A/C compressor clutch, the compressor pumping loads and the increased battery self-discharge rate that commences immediately after shut-down. This results in increased alternator output being necessary and of course the required HP to drive it, and yes- additional fuel.
BUT
COMBINED this amount of additional fuel at 100F is NOWHERE NEAR the additional startup, afterstart and warmup and roadload enrichments required to operate at -18 under identical trip cycles. If you want to math it out yourself, see sentence 2 of this post.
Here’s a couple of pretty decent additional resources:
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/density_altitude.htm
http://www.diy-efi.org/efi332/equations/algorith.htm
WopOnTour
Old 04-11-2006, 11:18 AM

wop on tour knows his ****!!
Old 04-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaslowyota
wop on tour knows his ****!!
Too bad he can't read.

WopOnTour, do you have any clue what I am talking about? My one and only point is that for EVERY person in the world winter doesn't = worse gas mileage. Therefore it is not FACT. Why is this a mind-boggling concept that you can not grasp???
Old 04-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Too bad he can't read.

WopOnTour, do you have any clue what I am talking about? My one and only point is that for EVERY person in the world winter doesn't = worse gas mileage. Therefore it is not FACT. Why is this a mind-boggling concept that you can not grasp???
So what you're sayin is...
If it's WINTER...
BUT the weather and conditions are more like SUMMER...
Then you WONT use more fuel
Brilliant
Wop
Old 04-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Banned

So what you're sayin is...
If it's WINTER...
BUT the weather and conditions are more like SUMMER...
Then you WONT use more fuel
Brilliant
Wop
Not brilliant, just common sense. I don't see how this arguement got so tecnical. I know all about Ideal Gas Law, but my point was really simple and you guys made it way too complicated.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:00 AM

Can you not read?? And can people in Canada not read??? So because I live in California, I don't know what I am talking about. Well seeing as I have family in Alaska and North Dakota and have visited them in the cold months. I think I might know what -0C and colder weather feels like and what it does to cars. And I am talking about 105+F and hotter for weeks and months that WILL result in a significant increase in fuel consuMption. So once AGAIN, it is not a fact that everywhere you are winter=worse gas mileage. You people really can't read.

THIS POST BLOWS!
Old 04-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigZ
THIS POST BLOWS!
So does your mom.

[/end thread]
Old 04-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Banned

So does your mom.

[/end thread]
dude...
Old 04-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by k2kwj
dude...
bro...
Old 04-15-2006, 05:08 PM

damn guys...I'm still laughing at the muffler-less Cobalt and how it will blow up his engine...

you guys are buzz kills....
Old 04-17-2006, 04:35 PM

hehee

Unless you live in death valley you are not experiencing any extreme heat in California. I have lived in the Mojave Desert and the heat is more extreme here in St.Louis than most of California. I do get less gas mileage in the winter than the summer, and that is a FACT. The A/C does not use gas! The heater does not use gas! Having the AC running will cause the engine to use a little bit more fuel. The engine uses gas. Funniest thing I ever heard(Gas burns faster in extreme heats, meaning more gas, more air, less mpg.)LOL.
With logic like that I am not wasting anymore time trying to talk with you. The combustion chamber temperature is always extremely hot. You might actually get very very slightly better mileage in cold air than hot if your car was already warmed up. Does it take more fuel to run the AC or drive with the windows open? I don't know, some people say you will get better mileage with the AC on recirc, and the windows up, because with the windows down the aerodynamic drag will use more fuel than turning the AC compressor, but I guess that would depend on how fast you are going since the extra drag of having the windows down at 45 would not be much at all.

Quick Reply: No Muffler = Bad Gas Milage!!