2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Piston Damage Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Piston Damage Opinion

So, my 'Balt has been down since about August. I got a supercharger in, new valves, new clutch and fidanza flywheel, headers with downpipe and ZZP tune (I know there is better but they have not done me wrong). Anyways, I just installed the supercharger after I replaced the valves. What happened is (trust me total screw up on my part, and partly because I was swapping cams from an old head that had less mileage cams [and I know you're not supposed to switch cams due to them mating to the specific head they came from]) but I need some solid opinion here. This is purely if you have had experience in this realm to give me an educated guess... I got the exhaust cam and intake cams mixed up. (Again, big screw up).
All of my intake valves bent... do you think the pistons are done or is there a slim chance they're ok??? This is before tax time comes around and I rip in to it and look. Guesses and opinions of the pistons are much appreciated
Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
hard to say, if all of the valves are bent then usually your pistons will have damage. put a borescope down in
Old 02-09-2017, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by leemanfor
hard to say, if all of the valves are bent then usually your pistons will have damage. put a borescope down in
Well, ill be taking the head off regardless and will see for sure when the time comes. I do not have access to a bore scope unless AutoZone rents them out?

I am expecting the worse, and it is easy to do that. But, more or less seeing if anyone may shed some light on this... how tough are these pistons? has anyone experienced something similar and the pistons were fine? Thanks though nonetheless.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
You can buy a cheap borescope on ebay/amazon for like $20. I dont know if they rent them out
Old 02-10-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
I would say plan on replacing the pistons and rods, and a light honing of the cylinders with a bead hone. That is assuming a part of a valve didn't break off and screw up the cylinder wall.

Just pulling the plug and shining a light down the plug hole you can sometimes see damage.

Find a junkyard 2.4 and just swap it in if money is of concern.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
I would say plan on replacing the pistons and rods, and a light honing of the cylinders with a bead hone. That is assuming a part of a valve didn't break off and screw up the cylinder wall.

Just pulling the plug and shining a light down the plug hole you can sometimes see damage.

Find a junkyard 2.4 and just swap it in if money is of concern.
Yeah... that's what I'm afraid of. Good idea on the light down the spark plug hole, don't know why I never thought of that!?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Usually the valves bend but the pistons are ok. If there is a small ding on the top of the piston, it will be ok.

You can move cams from one head to another, you just need to keep the cam caps with their original head, they can't be mixed.
The following users liked this post:
Cobalt_noob (02-18-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Usually the valves bend but the pistons are ok. If there is a small ding on the top of the piston, it will be ok.

You can move cams from one head to another, you just need to keep the cam caps with their original head, they can't be mixed.
excellent! See I read this somewhere too so that's what was giving me a thread of hope. Now what about the head joe, you think the valve guides would need to be replaced???
Old 02-13-2017, 06:37 PM

Doubtful. I had an issue where the cam gears never got tightened, it bent the intake valves on #1-2 cyls, I removed the head and replaced the bent valves, and that was it. No further damage done and no issues once it was back together.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Doubtful. I had an issue where the cam gears never got tightened, it bent the intake valves on #1-2 cyls, I removed the head and replaced the bent valves, and that was it. No further damage done and no issues once it was back together.
Nice! Well not your bent valves but that they were alright. How long did you drive that way? Because I must've drove roughly 120 miles like this. The crazy part is, I am estimating the valves bent pretty badly at around 80 miles, so we'll say 40 miles on bent valves..
Old 02-14-2017, 07:30 PM

Drive it with the bent valves? Not at all. On initial startup the timing chain gear jumped, then it had no compression due to the valves bending, wouldn't run.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
it wont run on bent valves
Old 02-17-2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
it wont run on bent valves
So its funny you say this, i was literally just talking to my woman last night about my whole bent valve situation. Look you can believe this or not but im going to tell you, this is a freakin miracle...

I pretty much know, or at least have a close enough estimate to when the valves just got bent to hell. I drove my 'balt a total of 112 miles with the cams mixed up (meaning Intake cam on exhaust side and vice versa). It gave me hell the whole day and when i was heading back home from work on the interstate, it seemed like it was "acting" a bit better. So i started to test it by pushing my foot down slowly more and more and it was here when i know for a fact that my valves bent........... Here is the miracle......... i had to pull off to the hard shoulder , turn the key off and im sh**ting you not, she started back up and got me all the way home. When i got home, i turned her off.... let her cool down... and took off the valve cover, started investigating... sure enough, my springs on the left side are all stuck in the compressed state... so in other words, it had to have happened when i pulled off the shoulder... how i got home? well mr. , thats what happens when you crossover to, the Twilight Zone.

Oh and it didnt start when i checked it btw. The cams were just spinning and hitting none of the intake valves. So im just hoping that the pistons are still good, or with minor damage.

Last edited by Cobalt_noob; 02-17-2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Add Something Else
Old 04-13-2017, 12:25 PM

So im happy to say that the weather has cleared and ive finally got the head off my balt. Pistons are good!

So ive got ARP Head studs , ZZP #82 Springs, and whenever they get the LE5 Cams in, those will be on the way as well....

Does anyone have a preference on valves?
Engine Internals - Turbo Tech Racing

Not sure if theyre even worth it, but the Supertech ones or the Ferrea??
Old 04-17-2017, 07:59 AM

Valve Spring Compressor

Hey guys, anyone have a preference for a valve spring remover?!? Im using a Hawk one and im tellin ya what im having a hell of time with it! I mean, i can get the valve springs out with some effort but when i am installing the springs specifically im having one hell of a time!

Any recommends here guys????
Old 05-09-2017, 09:50 PM

Does anybody know how much it would cost (estimate) to get valve guides replaced?
Old 05-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
There is a special valve spring took you can get for ecotecs. Call a machine shop for an estimate on guides.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobalt_noob
Does anybody know how much it would cost (estimate) to get valve guides replaced?
i paid 10$ a guide
i supplied the parts
Old 05-10-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by advise
i paid 10$ a guide
i supplied the parts
Everywhere im calling they want $20 a guide and thats estimating. So, im almost thinking this is something that i may want to tackle myself...

Slowbalt, what's your take on this man, you think with the right tools this is a DIYer??
Old 05-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Not at all
Old 05-10-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobalt_noob
Everywhere im calling they want $20 a guide and thats estimating. So, im almost thinking this is something that i may want to tackle myself...

Slowbalt, what's your take on this man, you think with the right tools this is a DIYer??
they need to be pressed in and out and must be square

bought my guides from rock auto for like $1 each
Old 06-08-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by advise
they need to be pressed in and out and must be square

bought my guides from rock auto for like $1 each
just so you guys know, I did knock out the old valve guides with a ball peen hammer and a punch. Got the new ones in after freezing them for a day and then lubing them up as I was installing them. I used old exhaust valve as my driver, worked like a charm! Then I bought a reamer from Goodson, reamed them with a drill and all was good! I ended up taking it to a machine shop, the guy said the valve guides were on point and I even told him I was worried I messed them up. He said, "Nope! You got them in there the right height and reamed good too!" He said all he did was hone them just a little for better valve to guide clearence. And he installed everything so as to get the correct valve height.

Long story short, it can be done!