2010+ Future Cruze Discussions Discussions and information related to the upcoming 2010 Chevy Cruze

Cobalt Turbo > Cruze ECO

Old 05-23-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsscooby
no premium gas required
How much is the engine detuned to run on 87 octane? I would think that an engine with a turbo would do better with premium.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ecotecturbo
Thats good for all the hills up there.
I know! I'm still surprised. BUT we live in Hermantown and they work at UMD, until they graduate grad school, so its fairly flat drive. They start their real job downtown (down the hill) in June or July. So I'll have to see what they get for city mpg then.

They just drove the to twin cities this weekend, I'll ask what their trip mpg was as well. Should be between 40-50.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by origami78
How much is the engine detuned to run on 87 octane? I would think that an engine with a turbo would do better with premium.
Stock, the engine is tuned to run on 87. If you put a higher octane, people have seen very slight increases in response, but nothing crazy. If you get an aftermarket tune then you can run higher octane and see a performance increase.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 AM

P, is anyone tuning these yet? I'd like to see some numbers for a tune itself. I know it won't be huge, but maybe just enough to make it more fun. Still waiting for the Sonic though.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by 007CobaltLS
P, is anyone tuning these yet? I'd like to see some numbers for a tune itself. I know it won't be huge, but maybe just enough to make it more fun. Still waiting for the Sonic though.
ya, Trifecta, Jet and theres another small tuner that has their own tuning for it. The biggest benefit is the automatics being tuned for better/more responsive shifting. With bolt ons and a tune you are seeing near 190whp, but zzp hasnt released all their parts yet. So its still new.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gunney_07
minivan specs for the man
My minivan weighs 2750 lbs and is turbo charged
Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

Yeah, these are more responsive tuning wise than the Turbo Balt. Turbo Balt averaged 25% increase with just a tune while the Cruze averages 33% increase to I think one car Vince dynoed at 186whp and similar torque numbers.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by jsscooby
Yeah, these are more responsive tuning wise than the Turbo Balt. Turbo Balt averaged 25% increase with just a tune while the Cruze averages 33% increase to I think one car Vince dynoed at 186whp and similar torque numbers.
I dont know if that was stock though....

Originally Posted by vince
<drum roll>

Here's the final numbers (after tuning)

Peak HP: 152.6, Peak TQ: 193.61

This reflects a gain of 36.21HP and 54.45TQ. I'll get the dyno sheet posted shortly
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2010...07/index7.html

I know with some zzp parts and trifecta tune the cruze got like 18x whp

Last edited by northvibe; 05-23-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by northvibe
I dont know if that was stock though....

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2010...07/index7.html

I know with some zzp parts and trifecta tune the cruze got like 18x whp
Hmm. I have to do more research. I was almost positive I saw those numbers posted.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 PM

Good luck with the car I drove one of those while I was looking for a DD to replace mytired 93 5.0 Vert. Honesly for 4 doors in the lower price range Hyundia and KIA make better cars. Fords new Focus isn't bad. Only thing Chevy has worth buying now is the Vette.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:09 PM

I'm glad to hear the tuning is doing some nice work for these cars. That makes me even more excited to see the Sonic hatch come out (1.4l turbo, 6-speed manual, tune and bolt-ons)...500lbs lighter and a little shorter than a Cruze...YES PLEASE.

Originally Posted by RyanJM
Good luck with the car I drove one of those while I was looking for a DD to replace mytired 93 5.0 Vert. Honesly for 4 doors in the lower price range Hyundia and KIA make better cars. Fords new Focus isn't bad. Only thing Chevy has worth buying now is the Vette.
I'm sorry, but GM still makes more than a few that are worth buying. I won't disagree that Hyundai and Kia are making some great cars now and Ford is going places with the world platform thing that they're doing, but it's all relative to what you want. I'm not looking for a sports car, but if I can make something decently quick that's an economy car and still get the MPG's when I want to, then I'm all for it (hence my Cobalt...it gets good mileage and it's peppy, but not fast...handles well though).
Old 07-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RyanJM
Hyundai and Kia are JUNK anyway you look at it.

The cars are so poorly engineered that they start falling apart within about a year or so of buying one. Its like they are made of paper mache, they look good on the lot and the interiors seem impressive, but once you live with one the problems start popping up like crazy and the cars end up falling apart around you. Then when you actually work on them and see the joke that they call "engineering", you see why.

Chevy has plenty of top ranked cars. The Equinox, Traverse, Malibu, Silverado, Corvette, and Cruze are all on par with or better than their competition.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:03 AM

no offense, but I think the cruzes are ugly without fog lights
Old 07-06-2011, 02:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd trade my cobalt for a cruze in a heartbeat...cept it would cost me $8000!

So screw that :/
Old 07-06-2011, 09:52 AM

i would never go cobalt ss to a cruze...but a base cobalt to a cruze would be a nice upgrade.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
dealership only wanted to give me $8200 for trade in on my 09 G5
Old 07-06-2011, 12:36 PM

ya dont buy the cobalt platform for resale value...
Old 07-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

You are aware in almost every magazine the Hyundai elantra outclasses the cruise right? Also I have driven both. Sadly enough chevrolet cars are way behind when it comes to interiors and the basic concept of looks. (Exception being the Camaro and Corvette)

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD

The cars are so poorly engineered that they start falling apart within about a year or so of buying one. Its like they are made of paper mache, they look good on the lot and the interiors seem impressive, but once you live with one the problems start popping up like crazy and the cars end up falling apart around you. Then when you actually work on them and see the joke that they call "engineering", you see why.

Chevy has plenty of top ranked cars. The Equinox, Traverse, Malibu, Silverado, Corvette, and Cruze are all on par with or better than their competition.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by drewbroo
You are aware in almost every magazine the Hyundai elantra outclasses the cruise right? Also I have driven both. Sadly enough chevrolet cars are way behind when it comes to interiors and the basic concept of looks. (Exception being the Camaro and Corvette)
"Outclasses"?? Who are you kidding?? At least the Cruze doesn't look like a cracked out cartoon fish like the Elantra does.

Basic concept of looks?? The Cruze and Malibu look positively stunning when compared with the awkward, generic styling of the Camry, Accord, Corolla, Sentra, Altima, and just about every other Asian car on the market.

"Outclass" also doesn't mean **** when you are replacing cam sensors, calipers, wheel bearings, and just about everything else at 40K miles on the Hyundai because its a poorly engineered piece of ****.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Earlier this year, I almost bought a Chevy Cruze because I needed a commuter for college. The dealership was expecting too much of a down payment and waaaaaay more per month than I was willing to spend on a frikkin' economy car.
I bought a Kawasaki Ninja 250R instead. 60-75 mpg (even while running it to redline), awesome looks & a hell of a lot more fun to ride.

Anyway, I think the Cruze has a 100x better interior than the Cobalt SS. It's too bad Chevy didn't improve the Cobalt's interior.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:51 PM

Well.. I like the Cruze somewhat.. would never trade an SS balt in on one tho... fuel economy.. probably slightly better than on the highway than my turbo balt, but around the city I seriously doubt it.. when I drive an underpowered car, I'm pretty much full throttle 85% of the time just to get the damn thing going. I'd honestly take a Kia Forte SX over a Cruze at this point.. better features, more power. I wouldn't mind a Cruze as a 2nd car, winter car, or a daily driver for goin to n from work, but definately not my main car of choice for anything in particular. The one thing the Cruze has going for it tho, is Trifecta tuning over any N/A competition that may be out there.

Here's something for you to munch on:

[IMG][/IMG]

36 hp & 54 tq gained 152 whp on a stock Cruze
Old 08-21-2011, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Knightwolf
Well.. I like the Cruze somewhat.. would never trade an SS balt in on one tho... fuel economy.. probably slightly better than on the highway than my turbo balt, but around the city I seriously doubt it.. when I drive an underpowered car, I'm pretty much full throttle 85% of the time just to get the damn thing going. I'd honestly take a Kia Forte SX over a Cruze at this point.. better features, more power. I wouldn't mind a Cruze as a 2nd car, winter car, or a daily driver for goin to n from work, but definately not my main car of choice for anything in particular. The one thing the Cruze has going for it tho, is Trifecta tuning over any N/A competition that may be out there.

Here's something for you to munch on:

[IMG][/IMG]

36 hp & 54 tq gained 152 whp on a stock Cruze
not surprising since it takes lower grade gas on a turbo car
Old 11-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD

Another ignorant and biased GM fanboy I see. Well lemme tell you the problems I've had with our 2010 V6 Sonata..........zero. Have had it over a year with no issues at all. It's better than a 3.6L Malibu in every way, better than a V6 Accord, Camry or Altima/Maxima for the money. My Sonata gets 30-32hwy in a 3600lb full size car that can out run a CTS V6. I bought it brand new for $19,549 out the door. Sticker was $26k. It's roomy, safe, has good pickup, looks sharp and handles quite well. People need to actually BUY one of these cars before jumping on the hater bandwagon. Nothing at all wrong with the Hyundai cars built from 2006 up.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blk08coupe
Another ignorant and biased GM fanboy I see. Well lemme tell you the problems I've had with our 2010 V6 Sonata..........zero. Have had it over a year with no issues at all. It's better than a 3.6L Malibu in every way, better than a V6 Accord, Camry or Altima/Maxima for the money. My Sonata gets 30-32hwy in a 3600lb full size car that can out run a CTS V6. I bought it brand new for $19,549 out the door. Sticker was $26k. It's roomy, safe, has good pickup, looks sharp and handles quite well. People need to actually BUY one of these cars before jumping on the hater bandwagon. Nothing at all wrong with the Hyundai cars built from 2006 up.
Look, another sore ass Korean car buyer trying to justify buying a pile of trash.

A year with no issues?? Its still practically brand new, give it some miles, it will be rotting at the dealership service department lot in no time

Better than a Malibu?? LOL, you are on drugs. Malibu looks nicer, drives nicer, has a nicer interior, is better built, has a much better engine, more interior room, better brakes, better handling, and more power. Whats better about the Sonata?? Nothing, its junk.

I see these cars in the service bay every day with EVERYTHING wrong with them, and the owners are too dumb and ignorant to understand why they are falling apart...you bought a piece of **** korean car, you get what you pay for. I've even seen 06+ models that blew their timing belts around 60K miles...garbage.

And no, your piece of **** doesn't outrun a 280HP CTS either, put the crack pipe down.

Have fun paying $800 for the dealer to change your shitty press in wheel bearings at 40K miles
Old 11-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Banned

Dexos is a half synthetic oil blend. Its more expensive then the basic oil but its cheaper than synthetic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cobalt Turbo > Cruze ECO