2010+ Future Cruze Discussions Discussions and information related to the upcoming 2010 Chevy Cruze

Just joined the forum, wanted to say hello.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just joined the forum, wanted to say hello.

Hello, as mentioned, I just joined the forum and stumbled across these threads about the Cruze and future Sonic.

My name is Garrett vanderPutten, I have a performance shop that for almost ten years has been specializing in the German designed, Opel, engine and drive train that has lead up to this current generation in the Cruze. We specifically develop products for the bigger 2.0 Turbo engine from Europe but have also worked with the various 1.6 and 1.8 engines here in the States. I would very much like to see one of our 2.0T or 3.0T engines in a Cruze.

I have noticed several post stating that the Cruze was not designed to be fast and the it was only designed to be economical. I have to say, that's not true. at all really.

The Cruze was developed specifically to go fast. It came out of more than four years or racing development in Europe by the Chevrolet Insight Team. For more than four years the Insight team had raced and been engineering what would be the Cruze while using the previous Daewoo/Chevrolet Lacetti chassis.

The Cruze was specifically engineered to be at the top of the WTCC which it has been, beating out BMW and Citroen among others.

The Cruze is somewhat new in the States but has been raced in Europe for more than two years, and the racing heritage runs deep. As mentioned, in order to develop the Cruze, GM Europe raced the Insight Lacetti and before that, Gm raced in the DTC as Team Phoenix in the V8 Astra Super-car.

Here is the Lacetti in race trim in 2007.

Here is the Cruze after three years of racing the Lacetti

at any rate I just wanted to share some racing background of the Cruze in case anyone was unfamiliar with it.

Thank you,
Garrett vanderPutten
Holland Sport Performance, North America

Last edited by gse_turbo; 11-14-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also note that in the middle of the WTCC - Fia World Touring Car Championship home page, on the right side that the Chevy Cruze Insight Team is currently number one for the season in the Manufacturer's Championship over BMW, Volvo and others. There is still one race of the season.

They currently have nearly double the points as the second place BMW team.

They also sit #1, #2 and #3 in the Driver's Championship.

Last edited by gse_turbo; 11-14-2011 at 08:58 PM.